Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    The SDK hasn't been released yet because it's not ready. The integration with the whole WebOS economy/App Catalog is apparently not quite fully baked. Fine and understandable...

What's been happening lately though? WEBOS ROOTING! Strangely (and goodly) enough, Palm is chaperoning the IRC channel of those intrepid hackers who've rooted their PrPrPr$s$. $At$ $the$ $same$ $time$, $that$ $growing$ $community$ $is$ $basing$ $their$ $joint$ $effort$ $to$ $work$ $legitimately$. ($e$.$g$. $respecting$ $intellectual$ $properties$, $grey$/$white$ $not$ $blackhat$, $logged$ $IRC$ $discussion$, $etc$.)

There is clearly risk involved in experimentation and even this sort of sponsored reverse-engineering. The words "bricked my PrPrPr&$quot$; $get$ $thrown$ $out$ $quite$ $often$, $although$ $I$ $haven$'$t$ $yet$ $read$ $about$ $one$ $that$ $was$ $irreversible$. ($which$ $kind$ $of$ $means$ $it$ $wasn$'$t$ $really$ $bricked$, $but$ $whatever$...)

Palm, reward and encourage this fledgling community and by releasing the WebOS/PrPrPr $emulator$ $to$ $the$ $general$ $public$! (and by "release", I mean "leak".)

Such an act doesn't remove all risk; there's often variance between real and emulated OS behavior (some bricks will have to be laid), but in releasing the emulator, Palm will also capture the hearts and minds of programmers in everywhere the Pre isn't available - most importantly, those in the US "stuck" in an iPhone contract, those with operators on other flagship phones or those on the other side of the border (and ocean).

Palm, if you want the Community back, let them see what they are missing!!!
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
    Picard says, "Make it so!"

But Goyena the world is much more complex as compared to the carefree days of the late 90's. For that reason alone Palm must be given some rope... to hang themselves, if they feel like it.
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    But Goyena the world is much more complex as compared to the carefree days of the late 90's. For that reason alone Palm must be given some rope... to hang themselves, if they feel like it.
    Which is why it would be interesting to say, oh I don't know, happen upon the thing in torrent somewhere (c'mon InvisibleMan! Do it for Palm!)...it doesn't have to be wrapped up in so much legalese.

We're big boys and girls. Trust that if we get enough ropes, we'll just make lemonade.
    LOL.

I COMPLETELY agree Goyena. I really hope they have an "unofficial leak" and file an official statement saying it wasn't ready and we're looking into it, and all that typical political stuff... and then judge the community complaints (in this forum... hint hint) and based on that release the "official polished" version...

That's not a bad idea!
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    I agree. Wish Palm would release the damn SDK already....or someone leak it.
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    All in favor for the Official Leak (version theta) of the Emulator (hellwhynottheSDKtoo?), say AYE.
    Aye aye sir!! ^^
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    +1
    Aye! (post count: +1) w00t!
    Conspiracy theory: anybody think it's actually Sprint that's holding them back? I mean, from Palm's perspective, there's absolutely no reason not release it. More exposure, more dev activity, more apps, more successful platform. Ultimately what Palm needs to survive.

Other than some kind of revenue protection, I can't see what's the holdup. Maybe the Mojo SDK is way too powerful and Sprint knows there will be apps that overrides what Sprint put in place to lock the phone down... **cough cough tethering** being one example.

Sorry if I sound like ranting or even biased. I generally have a dislike for North American providers by their "software customization" for revenue protection acts, with me coming from a part of the world where even phone locking is illegal.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLI T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here