Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1.    #41  
    No need to start fresh. Just need to troubleshoot.

Run the exec command on your Pre and see if it works. If it works, copy/paste it into the start up script. If it doesn't work, something's wrong with the syntax.

Edit: You beat me to it whoiswhois! lol
    Global Posts
    554 Global Posts
    that started the server back up, and now each time i try to enter anything into the webshell it blinks for just a split second

host 'localhost' is not in the trusted hosts file etc, hitting y {enter} doesn't do the trick. i think i saw this earlier in the thread though so i'll revisit that.
    http://phwelo.mobi
    for any questions or to send a donation: phwelo@gmail.com
    its cause the y you hit gets sent as Y. You can ssh into your pre from your computer, then ssh into your pre again from your pre
    Global Posts
    554 Global Posts
    wow i actually got it to work, thank you whoiswhois! Is there anyway to get this going without having to first log in using ssh on a computer?
    yea...thats what the upstart script does
  6.    #46  
    Something I noticed is that I have to reload the page in order to get the console working. Going there initially, I just get the console up. After I refresh, then it presents me with the login. Not a big deal, but maybe other people are experiencing the same thing? I might need to build an auto-refresher into the script if this is how it's gonna behave.

Also, I think I'm gonna try to build in a command that automatically does:

Code:
    mount -o remount,rw /
    mount -o remount,ro /
    Two less things to type!
    Am i the only one thinking this terminal is useless as it is lol. you type something in with the keyboard and the address bar starts to open and type text...on screen keyboard is too large to see anything behind it, even with different zoom scaling. its just not setup for a web shell. anyone working on a terminal app that dont rely on the browser?
    i did it because I am an irc addict. Thus its not useless...i sshed into another machine and used irssi no problems.
  9.    #49  
    It's easier to enter commands into the virtual keyboard field. That prevents the stupid URL box from coming up. I'm sure once the SDK is released, there'll be a terminal prog. We'll have less of a reason to mess with root once SDK is out, but I'm sure there'll be things the SDK won't do
    Global Posts
    554 Global Posts
    sure wish there was something as simple as an ajax page that did this. i searched and found a couple irc clients like that but none of them would work through the pre
    I'm having trouble installing the shell as well. I believe that my problem is that python didn't install correctly.

(For instance, when I try to run /opt/bin/python /opt/share/webshell/webshell.py -c "/opt/bin/ssh -p 222 -l jzieman2 localhost" --ssl-disable I get a /opt/bin/python not found error).

My pre went into sleep half way through the installation and it came back with some errors. I tried just running the install python command right after that and it told me I couldn't because there had been no changes since my last install.

However, I can't get to the page from the pre browser - it gives a cannot connect to server error.

Any ideas?
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Sorry to interupt.
    I don't have a clue as to what you guys are talking about. I do get the impression that you know a bit more about this phone than the Sprint and Palm CSR.

That being said. My major gripe with the PRE is the signal/reception. I've never had this problem with previous phones and I've confirmed with Sprint I'm in a good signal area.

Do you folks see this as a problem that can be corrected with software tweeks or would I be better off taking my phone back until the proper hardware is produced?

Thanks for any feedback and carry on,
    Regards
  13.    #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by 72guy View Post
    Sorry to interupt.
    I don't have a clue as to what you guys are talking about. I do get the impression that you know a bit more about this phone than the Sprint and Palm CSR.

That being said. My major gripe with the PRE is the signal/reception. I've never had this problem with previous phones and I've confirmed with Sprint I'm in a good signal area.

Do you folks see this as a problem that can be corrected with software tweeks or would I be better off taking my phone back until the proper hardware is produced?

Thanks for any feedback and carry on,
    Regards
    Wrong thread, dude. Should have made a new one

Here's your answer though:

1. open up your dialer
    2. go to sprint > preferences (in the upper left corner of your screen)
    3. scroll down to network settings and click on UPDATE NETWORK SETTINGS
    4. do the same for preferred roaming list (PRL) right below it

This should help your phone find the nearest towers and possibly get you better reception. If it doesn't help, take the phone back to the store and see if you can get an exchange. If that doesn't work, then the Pre just isn't meant for you
  14.    #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by jzieman2 View Post
    I'm having trouble installing the shell as well. I believe that my problem is that python didn't install correctly.

(For instance, when I try to run /opt/bin/python /opt/share/webshell/webshell.py -c "/opt/bin/ssh -p 222 -l jzieman2 localhost" --ssl-disable I get a /opt/bin/python not found error).

My pre went into sleep half way through the installation and it came back with some errors. I tried just running the install python command right after that and it told me I couldn't because there had been no changes since my last install.

However, I can't get to the page from the pre browser - it gives a cannot connect to server error.

Any ideas?
    Sounds like you're gonna need to wipe out your Python install and redo the install.
    i also followed the most recent tutorial and could not get webshell to work. when running the command line, i get this output:
    Code:
    root@castle:/# /opt/bin/python /opt/share/webshell/webshell.py -c "/opt/bin/ssh -p 222 -l me localhost" --ssl-disable
    Could not find platform independent libraries <prefix>
    Could not find platform dependent libraries <exec_prefix>
    Consider setting $PYTHONHOME to <prefix>[:<exec_prefix>]
    'import site' failed; use -v for traceback
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/opt/share/webshell/webshell.py", line 8, in <module>
        import array, time, glob, optparse, random, re
    ImportError: No module named array
    I have 2 questions:
    1. since no one else is getting this msg and the tutorial does not mention it, did my install go wrong? how do i recover?
    2. if i only have to set the environment variable PYTHONHOME, what should it be set to?
    this webshell is awesome! i love it but....

Looks like everytime i reboot the pre i can not access the webshell unless i log in with pc and run the fallowing

Code:
    start on stopped finish
    stop on runlevel [!2]

console none

respawn

exec /opt/bin/python /opt/share/webshell/webshell.py -c "/opt/bin/ssh -p 222 -l $USER localhost" --ssl-disable
    once i run that now i can access the web shell till next reboot am i missing something?
    Last edited by jack87; 06/22/2009 at 03:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jack87 View Post
    once i run that now i can access the web shell till next reboot am i missing something?
    yes, create an upstart script "/etc/event.d/webos-webshell" with those lines in it, and reboot.
  18.    #58  
    My first Pre crapped out with the spiderweb screen cracks, so I'm on my 2nd Pre. Instead of the graphical shell discussed in this post, I did the ajaxPHPterm method.

pre dev wiki: Graphical Shell with ajaxPHPterm

THIS IS WAY BETTER and not to mention way easier. I had zero difficulties. Confirmed working!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123