Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    I just had one more question about the dialer. If I get into the filesystem of the phone, is there any way to change the ugly green background? How would I do that.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    really good question - I swear I've seen on demos or advertisements that the background color of the dialer was different colors, rather than just this green one. Let us customize themes/ringtones - I promise this is what people love!
    If you have access to your phone's filesystem, backdrop for the phone is located in:

/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phone/images

Modifying the file "backdrop-phone.png" can look something like this:

Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by natrixgli View Post
    If you have access to your phone's filesystem, backdrop for the phone is located in:

/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phone/images

Modifying the file "backdrop-phone.png" can look something like this:

thats awesome thanks for the help!
    I just noticed that you might want to also change two more files to match the color of your backdrop:

backdrop-phone-scroll-fade.png
    list-section-line.png

These are all in /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phone/images

-n8
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by natrixgli View Post
    I just noticed that you might want to also change two more files to match the color of your backdrop:

backdrop-phone-scroll-fade.png
    list-section-line.png

These are all in /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phone/images

-n8
    Thanks, I like yours, can you attach the png's for me please?
    Quote Originally Posted by desairs View Post
    Thanks, I like yours, can you attach the png's for me please?
    I got it from here: lukeroberts.us サ Blog Archive サ Pattern Wallpaper Template

I just chopped it up a little bit to make it look good on the Pre's screen.

-n8
    That is hot! I'm changing that right now. I love how we can customize the Pre, this is going to be a perfect phone!
    I知 a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk View Post
    That is hot! I'm changing that right now. I love how we can customize the Pre, this is going to be a perfect phone!
    We need the SDK out first.
    Quote Originally Posted by hchavarria View Post
    We need the SDK out first.
    Why? ppl in this forum are changing their background (including me) without an SDK. They are also enabling features that Palm didn't, the first time out.

All you need to do is goto the Pre Dev Wiki and know how to copy and paste.
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Why? ppl in this forum are changing their background (including me) without an SDK. They are also enabling features that Palm didn't, the first time out.

All you need to do is goto the Pre Dev Wiki and know how to copy and paste.
    The point hchavarria is probably trying to make is that it would be better if we can do this without having to root the Pre. Like some sort of WebOS theme app.
    I feel like a newbie asking this, but how are ppl transfering files to and from their Pre's?

I've tried scp but it comes back with "sh: scp: not found" and when I try to use Fugu on my Mac it won't accept my password for the user i've created. I can log in using ssh from my Mac though so i know the password works.

Thanks, Tim
    The ones I love..

Twittering about
    sorry another stupid question does the phone must be in usb mode connected to the computer to do this......
    Quote Originally Posted by phone queen View Post
    sorry another stupid question does the phone must be in usb mode connected to the computer to do this......
    I'm not sure who you are responding to, but I'm not finding anything about enableing SCP or SFTP access. I've tried following the wiki (pre dev wiki: SFTP Access) but this is just a tad over my head, i don't know where the "sudoers" file is.

Thanks, Tim
    The ones I love..

Twittering about
    i don't know where the "sudoers" file is.
    /opt/etc/sudoers
    I ended up using a long work around. I copied the existing background files to the /media/internal directory, turn the pics into b/w (they look a good deal better this way), copied them back to the /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phone/images directory.

Works, but I'm def going to try and get SFTP working.

I've attached my changes in case anyone else want to take a look at em

Tim

phone_2009-15-06_003639.png
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bigredgpk; 06/14/2009 at 11:51 PM.
    The ones I love..

Twittering about
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    looks good man, I'm gonna try that as soon as i learn how i can write these files to a pre, I dont understand what i need to install to be able to ftp in after i enable root access.
    looks good man, I'm gonna try that as soon as i learn how i can write these files to a pre, I dont understand what i need to install to be able to ftp in after i enable root access.
    It looks soo much better, here's what I did (and I don't have FTP or SCP enable yet.. still working on that one)

goto the image directory and copy the files to the /media/internal dir

Code:
    cp /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phone/imagesbackdrop-phone.png /media/internal
    Do this for the three images, then switch your phone to USB mode. You should see all the files you copied over.

You can edit them any way you want, just make sure they have the same properties as the orig (transparency, size, file extention, etc).

Once they are edit to your liking, copy the files back to the Pre in USB mode.

Exit USB mode, attach to your Wifi, and SSH into the Pre

Now we'll need to get the files (all 3 if you edited them) back to the correct location

Code:
    cp /media/internal/imagesbackdrop-phone.png /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phone/
    Once this is done exit the SSH session and reboot the Pre. When it comes back up you should see your new background.

If you are going to use the files I edited you'll just need to copy them to the USB drive, and then complete the last step.

Tim
    The ones I love..

Twittering about
    From my experience, FTP'ing sucks. It's slow compared to USB drag n drop. I'll only be using FTP for small things that are less than 100kb (mostly code and small images). Anything else just takes too long. Maybe it's faster for other people, but it sure ain't on mine.

I advise the USB mode method for transferring files!
    i'm sorry i cant get the link to work i guess im not doing it correctly..
    do u put the phone in usb mode then were does the link comes in...im not good at this... thanks
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast