Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    What link?
    I知 a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Ok what I'm trying to say is for someone like me not too sure.. Can you go step by step so that I can chg the dialer bckgrd. Sorry not offending anyone just feel stupid trying to chg this on my own
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Awesome! I'm in the middle of changing my dialer background now.

For those that want repeating wallpaper backgrounds and have a little bit of Photoshop skill, here's another good site too: The Inspiration Gallery - Damask Wallpaper Patterns
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk View Post
    It looks soo much better, here's what I did (and I don't have FTP or SCP enable yet.. still working on that one)

goto the image directory and copy the files to the /media/internal dir

Code:
    cp /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phone/imagesbackdrop-phone.png /media/internal
    Do this for the three images, then switch your phone to USB mode. You should see all the files you copied over.

You can edit them any way you want, just make sure they have the same properties as the orig (transparency, size, file extention, etc).

Once they are edit to your liking, copy the files back to the Pre in USB mode.

Exit USB mode, attach to your Wifi, and SSH into the Pre

Now we'll need to get the files (all 3 if you edited them) back to the correct location

Code:
    cp /media/internal/imagesbackdrop-phone.png /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phone/
    Once this is done exit the SSH session and reboot the Pre. When it comes back up you should see your new background.

If you are going to use the files I edited you'll just need to copy them to the USB drive, and then complete the last step.

Tim
    Tim Thanks for all the help! I think you should definitely put this in the wiki!
    I wonder if the PNG rendering of the Pre supports this

APNG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If it does it'll be very cool.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIノ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by backslide View Post
    Awesome! I'm in the middle of changing my dialer background now.

For those that want repeating wallpaper backgrounds and have a little bit of Photoshop skill, here's another good site too: The Inspiration Gallery - Damask Wallpaper Patterns
    My Photoshop skills are def lacking, I'm lucky I saw the b/w option on Paint.net. It was quick and dirty but it was just what I needed to make the Pre look a little sharper.
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Great success!

I changed the pin unlock screen background as well. Using the same method, I changed the "backdrop-firstuse.png" as well as inverting the pinpad-row files in Photoshop and this is the result.

Original:

New:
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    nice one man Im surprised im the first one that asked about this it seems like a concensus about the dialer background being fugly
    Wiki page has been completed. I'll updated it with the login background if someone doesn't beat me to it.

pre dev wiki: Background Editing

Thanks for the help everyone!

Tim
    The ones I love..

Twittering about
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Wiki page has been completed. I'll updated it with the login background if someone doesn't beat me to it.

pre dev wiki: Background Editing

Thanks for the help everyone!

Tim
    Nice.

But in the instructions to copy the images back:

cp /media/internal/imagesbackdrop-phone.png /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phone/
    should be

cp /media/internal/backdrop-phone.png /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phone/images/
    Right?
    Corrected! Feel free to request access to the page and make the corrections yourself. It's a community project.

Tim
    The ones I love..

Twittering about
    can u write step by step i dont know how to get the image directory...simply help i just want to change this ugly green
    I've updated the page with some more granular info on how to do this mod. let me know if you need more help or if the page needs more work. I don't have my mac with my at work so I cannot verify the commands, they are off the top of my head.

Tim
    The ones I love..

Twittering about
    Is it just me or does the "enter number" text have a green tint though? Anyone figure out how to modify that?
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    it does, i didnt notice that. how can we change this?
    when are we going to start seeing some of this stuff showing up in a application format
    well bigredgpk, got to download the webos image. and got to see the dev mode enabler after that i got lost...
    Quote Originally Posted by phone queen View Post
    well bigredgpk, got to download the webos image. and got to see the dev mode enabler after that i got lost...
    It is not the easiest thing to Root the Palm. It is much easier on a Mac then it is on Windows IMHO. Follow the directions on the Wiki page on how to root a Palm Pre. You'll need this access to perform any Hack, Mod, or Install.

Also if you have not worked with Linux before, working with your Palm Pre wouldn't be the best way to learn. Right now all changes are made in a command shell, once an SDK is released non-linux friendly users will be able to make these changes with a push of a button instead of command lines and SSH session.

If you are serious about this, please read the Rooting page on the Wiki, then try the operations. And if you have access to a Mac, use it. Once you have completed the steps on that page you'll be able to use a Mac or a PC to access the Pre over Wifi.

Tim
    The ones I love..

Twittering about
    Quote Originally Posted by backslide View Post
    Great success!

I changed the pin unlock screen background as well. Using the same method, I changed the "backdrop-firstuse.png" as well as inverting the pinpad-row files in Photoshop and this is the result.

Original:

New:
    How did you change teh text?
    The ones I love..

Twittering about
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    How did you change teh text?
    It's part of the background image.

Although I might remove it. I got a call earlier today and it was one of those automated robocalls from Sprint. When you answer the phone while the phone is still locked, the unlock background is still there and when I pressed a key to exit out of the call, the pressed key's number showed up right where my "Authorized Personnel Only" text is, making it hard to read.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast