Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Hey guys, I just have a request for a mod to the stock dialer. I came from a Touch Pro which has WinMo and I am so used to just popping the dialer up and using the sort of T9 feature where if I want to call "Bob" I just have to type in 262 and it will search and pull up the name. I don't know if this is feasible, but I really think it would be convenient. That's just my own opinion. If anyone does decide to make this, I will definitely donate. Thanks to all the developers that make this forum Bad
    You can do that already with the Pre... it's an option somewhere, not sure where. I don't know why they didn't make it on by default, but it's there.

Edit: In the dialer, click on the "Sprint" on the top left and then "Preferences". Turn "Show Contact Matches" to On.

Edit #2: Unless you're talking about typing on the screen, not on the keyboard... in that case, forget what I said.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackFlag77 View Post
    You can do that already with the Pre... it's an option somewhere, not sure where. I don't know why they didn't make it on by default, but it's there.

Edit: In the dialer, click on the "Sprint" on the top left and then "Preferences". Turn "Show Contact Matches" to On.

Edit #2: Unless you're talking about typing on the screen, not on the keyboard... in that case, forget what I said.
    I was talking about typing on the screen, this is a little better though. Thanks!
    would love to have this feature. I freaking hate it have to use the KB to find a contact to call. Quick dial is crap as well, if I have to remember a 4 digits quick dial code, I might as well dial the whole number.
    Have you tried LauchPoint? It creates one-touch dial/text/email icons for specific contacts. It doesn't hook into the dialer, but it allows you to dial without using the keyboard.
    we need voice dial
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackFlag77 View Post

Hm, that is not smart dialing, its only a contact matching by contact name. smart dialing (in basic) is matching a contact name or forename or some other info in contact detail.
    - to explain: if you enter new contact John Smith from Palm inc, to find it in Pre, you must search for it, strictly as you entered it - by first name, if you enter in search only Smith, Pre won't find it. If you enter in search Palm, it also won't find it! What is more strange - Palm uses smart search option in App store! there, Palm matches any word in app name with search criteria!
    Smart dialing is adopted by Apple (in contact and search) and by Nokia in E and N series as I know.
    Absence of smart dialing on Pre is a major drawback for me. Also, absence of favorites in dialer is unexplainable.
    Last edited by chalx; 03/29/2010 at 03:57 AM.
    Just to clarify, Pre supports smart dial, I was wrong - my outlook data wasn't formatted correctly.
    I was getting ready to post the same question. I don't like the fact that I have to slide open the phone to type the name of the person I want to call. It has been a while since this thread originated, any progress on this one?
    i feel this is real simple what you all are asking for... and let's be honest - what we all NEED is called a T9 Dialer! T9 dialers should have the ability to sort thru your contacts as you are attmepting to either spell out their name or simply enter numbers to dial - it should show either one as you are clicking the digits to enter for the search. This is a generally basic function that ALL phones should have - even the Moto Droid didnt have it though until someone got smart enough to build the program called Dialer One. I say we all pull together and bribe Jason or someone to bring us the app we soo desire!!!
    I prefer the universal search, it works great with the "end call by closing slider" patch.