Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Has anyone gotten the root to work on Win 7? I'm running RC1 and have disabled Anti Virus and Firewall and still get the "[Errno 10061] No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it" message.

Any ideas?
    I used VirtualBox to host xp and did it from there. Worked like a charm.
    Didn't work for me either, I ended up doing it via my Mini 9 which i have dual-booting with OS X. I know that's not much of a help though, sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by poldim View Post
    Has anyone gotten the root to work on Win 7? I'm running RC1 and have disabled Anti Virus and Firewall and still get the "[Errno 10061] No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it" message.

Any ideas?
    Did the novacom driver load? Make sure that your pre is in devmode, plug it in, and then look at the add/remove hardware dialog to determine if the driver shows up.

BTW, I have only rooted on XP thus far. Got to love XP
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
    Yeah, I'm having trouble in win7 too.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    Did the novacom driver load? Make sure that your pre is in devmode, plug it in, and then look at the add/remove hardware dialog to determine if the driver shows up.

BTW, I have only rooted on XP thus far. Got to love XP
    Comes up as "Palm Novacom Modules" in Device Manager.
    Ditto on the Win7 fail. Vista works just fine.
    it's a no go with Win7, I ended up using my Mac Book Pro.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    May be more related to 64-bit versus 32-bit. I used the WebDoctor to flash my Pre with 1.0.2 before activating it for someone else, and it wouldn't work on 64-bit machines, only 32. I didn't have a Win7 32-bit machine to try, all mine are 64, but maybe it's more 32-bit versus 64-bit than OS version? I've yet to see a Vista driver not work under Win7... but there's always a first time.

Just a thought...
    Nope I tried it on 32bit Windows7.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    I got the same error on Win7 64. Tried on Vista 64 and it worked great.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Im still not able to get rooting to work properly... I get stuck after the 5th instruction on the wiki page... anyone can help? The command line just appears and closes within half a second.. I dont get it .. I am n00b
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    I tried this on XP and it worked right upto the Optware package feed, and now im stuck without any access to the pre....hopefully i can find a fix.
    I got it to work using Windows 7 RC x86. But I basically had to emaulate xp:

1) follow the steps here http: // www . microsoft .com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx (required a reboot or 2)
    2) fire up the virtual xp machine via the start menu
    3) copy the novacom_<platform>.msi over to the xp machine then install it
    4) install python 2.6.2 from http: // www . python . org/download/releases/2.6.2/
    5) add "C:\Python26\" to your virtual machine's environment variables
    6) plug in your pre via USB [you should already be in devel mode]
    7) up at the top of the virtual xp machine window you'll see "USB"... 'attach' the pre and you'll see the found new hardware prompt on the virtual box (Just Charge on the Pre)
    8) download talk.py from the svn
    9) fire up a cmd prompt and "python talk.py"
    you should now be able to telnet <pre ip address> and follow the other steps for installing the permanent back door with ipkg-opt
    oh MAN that's so lame. I LOVE Windows 7 so far, but I have Windows 7 RC1 64bit right now, and if it can't handle my Pre by the time I get it, I will definitely have to format.

Pre > Windows 7

Hands down.
    Just a thought, but are you by chance running the new windows 7 /live integration services? You know, that app that lets you stream your media via windows media player? People have found (myself included) that it makes some sort of change to the way networking works in windows 7. For example, I have a NAS device on my network that I connect to via NFS on my workstation. While I had those media streaming services installed, I was not able to connect to my NAS, no matter what I tried. As soon as I uninstalled the Live integration app, I was able to connect without issue. It also affected network browsing via UNC path, drive mapping, and other things. I imagine that it could also affect telnet.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blakeb View Post
    I used VirtualBox to host xp and did it from there. Worked like a charm.
    THIS