Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
    I am getting all the way to end of install GNUboy and i am getting this error when is try to do....sdlgnuboy --scale=2 --density=2 --bind q quit --bind u +up --bind h +left --bind k +right --bind j +down Alien.GB......ERROR= "sh: sdlgnuboy: command not found"...without qoutes .......does anyone have any suggestions?
    Thanks for the how to! I tryed it about a minute ago and had the same results, unfortunatly.

Im looking for a genesis emulator but can't find it
    Last edited by glorifiedg; 12/03/2009 at 07:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmyadagod View Post
    I am getting all the way to end of install GNUboy and i am getting this error when is try to do....sdlgnuboy --scale=2 --density=2 --bind q quit --bind u +up --bind h +left --bind k +right --bind j +down Alien.GB......ERROR= "sh: sdlgnuboy: command not found"...without qoutes .......does anyone have any suggestions?
    did you install gnuboy? it seems that its not installed..
    Quote Originally Posted by Tag234 View Post
    did you install gnuboy? it seems that its not installed..
    root@palm-webos-device:/# apt-get install -y gnuboy-sdl
    apt-get install -y gnuboy-sdl
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    gnuboy-sdl is already the newest version.
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 4 not upgraded.

this is what it says when i try to go through steps again
    Last edited by jmyadagod; 12/03/2009 at 08:08 PM.
    are you running it from a script like described in the guide?? If so, make sure you have

#!/bin/sh

at the top of your file....
    mine looks like:

#!/bin/sh

export ROM=$1
    export SDL_VIDEODRIVER="directfb"
    export SDL_NOMOUSE=1
    sdlgnuboy --scale=2 --density=2 --bind k +b --bind l +a ....... --savedir=/save/ $ROM
    I am getting some strange errors with this and was wondering what you think is wrong. I would like to say I am really good with Linux, but this is a bit above my knowledge level (getting emulators to work due to my non-knowledge of the software required to do so.. i.e. debian OS, directFB, etc.)

I followed the instructions exactly, and got everything in..
    made the img file to 500MB
    SFTP'd it to my Pre
    accessed debian (mount, chroot, etc.)
    installed all necessary software
    added necessary files (.sh, rom, etc.)
    Successfully got to the debian cmd line and executed the game script once. No video output and I didn't expect the sound (had earbuds in)
    Hard reset to get back to WebOS
    Now when I try to execute the ROM, this is the full output:
    =======================| DirectFB 1.0.1 |=======================
    (c) 2001-2007 The DirectFB Organization (directfb.org)
    (c) 2000-2004 Convergence (integrated media) GmbH
    ------------------------------------------------------------

(*) DirectFB/Core: Single Application Core. (2008-08-18 13:04)
    (*) Direct/Thread: Running 'Linux Input' (INPUT, 3409)...
    (*) DirectFB/Input: headset (1) 0.1 (directfb.org)
    (*) Direct/Thread: Running 'Linux Input' (INPUT, 3410)...
    (*) DirectFB/Input: gpio-keys (2) 0.1 (directfb.org)
    (*) Direct/Thread: Running 'Linux Input' (INPUT, 3411)...
    (*) DirectFB/Input: maxim_keypad (3) 0.1 (directfb.org)
    (*) Direct/Thread: Running 'Linux Input' (INPUT, 3412)...
    (*) DirectFB/Input: hsdl9100_proximity (4) 0.1 (directfb.org)
    (*) Direct/Thread: Running 'Linux Input' (INPUT, 3413)...
    (*) DirectFB/Input: temt6200_light (5) 0.1 (directfb.org)
    (*) Direct/Thread: Running 'Linux Input' (INPUT, 3414)...
    (*) DirectFB/Input: kxsd9_accelerometer (6) 0.1 (directfb.org)
    (*) DirectFB/Graphics: Generic Software Rasterizer 0.6 (directfb.org)
    (*) DirectFB/Core/WM: Default 0.3 (directfb.org)
    SDL DirectFB_SetVideoMode: 320x480@16, flags: 0x90000001
    cannot create /home/root: File exists
    (!!!) *** WARNING [Application exited without deinitialization of DirectFB!] *** [../../../src/core/core.c:813 in dfb_core_deinit_check()]
    (!!!) *** WARNING [still objects in 'Layer Region Pool'] *** [../../../lib/fusion/object.c:231 in fusion_object_pool_destroy()]
    (!!!) *** WARNING [still objects in 'Layer Context Pool'] *** [../../../lib/fusion/object.c:231 in fusion_object_pool_destroy()]
    (!!!) *** WARNING [still objects in 'Surface Pool'] *** [../../../lib/fusion/object.c:231 in fusion_object_pool_destroy()]
    (!) [ 3408: 0.000] --> Caught signal 11 (at 0x4, invalid address) <--
    Signal 6
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    are you running it from a script like described in the guide?? If so, make sure you have

#!/bin/sh

at the top of your file....
    mine looks like:

#!/bin/sh

export ROM=$1
    export SDL_VIDEODRIVER="directfb"
    export SDL_NOMOUSE=1
    sdlgnuboy --scale=2 --density=2 --bind k +b --bind l +a ....... --savedir=/save/ $ROM
    I am at the part in the instructions where it say RUN:... right after step 4.... can i run that in cmd(after rooting and then mounting debian) in windows or does it have to be in Linux or terminal on phone or doesn't it make a difference? I havent got past this step so i haven't tried to make a script yet.
    success!! Visualboyadvance works but it runs very slowly... Give it a shot for yourself:

get into debian chroot
    apt-get install visualboyadvance
    vi /etc/VisualBoyAdvance.cfg

Scroll down and change the setting so its a GBA emulator, Change Save directory if youd like...

Use the GNUboy launch script but modify the actual line that started sdlgnuboy to:

vba $ROM

Im gonna keep playing with it and see if i cant get it to run quicker, right now its so slow that its unplayable...

EDIT: btw this caused my phone to crash upon starting a game but it did seem to have sound and displayed colors correctly. My phone got to the game menu and i didnt have or know how to setup buttons so i couldnt get in but the orangekey seemed to freeze my phone and required a hard reset.
    From the official FAQ:

-------------------------------
    How can I make it run faster?
    Try the following in order to improve emulation speed:

* increase frame skip
    * increase the emulator priority
    * use a lower sound quality
    * don't user filters
    * use 1x mode or full screen mode
    * disable SFX
    * enable the Use Video Memory setting
    * try the SDL version
    -------------------------------

Hope to get my Pre soon, then I might be able to help a bit.

Edit:

Found out you can use the SDL Configurator to view the key codes and then "create a VisualBoyAdvance.cfg file in your user directory".
    The SDL Configurator you can find at:
    vba.ngemu.com/downloads.shtml
    (sorry, not yet able to post hyperlinks)
    The source of my information and an example of the cfg file are at:
    mandrivausers.org/index.php?/topic/8836-configuring-visual-boy-advance/

Edit:

There exists a configuration utility for VisualBoyAdvance:
    vbaexpress.tuxfamily.org/english.php
    Last edited by Aerials; 12/04/2009 at 04:57 AM. Reason: Extra information
    Ok, so after searching a bit more it seems there is another emulator (Mednafen) which emulates... well, a lót: "The Atari Lynx, GameBoy (Color), GameBoy Advance, NES, PC Engine(TurboGrafx 16), SuperGrafx, Neo Geo Pocket (Color), PC-FX, and WonderSwan (Color)"

mednafen.sourceforge.net

It should work at much better speeds then VisualBoyAdvance (though it uses the same [open] source).
    forums.emulator-zone.com/showthread.php?t=13074
    mythtv.org/wiki/Talk:Configuring_MythGame_Emulation#Mednafen_GBA

You can edit the key mapping in the mednafen.cfg file. An example can be found here:
    fileden.com/files/2007/2/23/813212/mednafen.cfg

I'm not sure, but perhaps you could use the same SDL Configurator to get the keys as with VBA?

Sorry for not yet being able to try a few of these things out myself
    Ok, so after searching a bit more it seems there is another emulator (Mednafen) which emulates... well, a lót: "The Atari Lynx, GameBoy (Color), GameBoy Advance, NES, PC Engine(TurboGrafx 16), SuperGrafx, Neo Geo Pocket (Color), PC-FX, and WonderSwan (Color)"

mednafen.sourceforge.net

It should work at much better speeds then VisualBoyAdvance (though it uses the same [open] source).
    forums.emulator-zone.com/showthread.php?t=13074
    mythtv.org/wiki/Talk:Configuring_MythGame_Emulation#Mednafen_GBA

You can edit the key mapping in the mednafen.cfg file. An example can be found here:
    fileden.com/files/2007/2/23/813212/mednafen.cfg

I'm not sure, but perhaps you could use the same SDL Configurator to get the keys as with VBA?

Sorry for not yet being able to try a few of these things out myself
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 12/04/2009 at 04:32 PM.
    I've tryed to improve speed with that values and still getting the same results: game opens, Pre freezes and need a hard reset.
    I have some extra information, but my post has been sent to a moderator because it had links in it
    might be a permissions error. your error is probably related to that last bit of output you're getting: "cannot create /home/root: File exists" Try changing those permissions with or doing something along those lines. gnuboy might be trying to create save game data around that area, and can't for some reason. either that or your script isn't the one from the wiki, and is trying to do some weird stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    I am getting some strange errors with this and was wondering what you think is wrong. I would like to say I am really good with Linux, but this is a bit above my knowledge level (getting emulators to work due to my non-knowledge of the software required to do so.. i.e. debian OS, directFB, etc.)

I followed the instructions exactly, and got everything in..
    made the img file to 500MB
    SFTP'd it to my Pre
    accessed debian (mount, chroot, etc.)
    installed all necessary software
    added necessary files (.sh, rom, etc.)
    Successfully got to the debian cmd line and executed the game script once. No video output and I didn't expect the sound (had earbuds in)
    Hard reset to get back to WebOS
    Now when I try to execute the ROM, this is the full output:
    Quote Originally Posted by jmyadagod View Post
    I am at the part in the instructions where it say RUN:... right after step 4.... can i run that in cmd(after rooting and then mounting debian) in windows or does it have to be in Linux or terminal on phone or doesn't it make a difference? I havent got past this step so i haven't tried to make a script yet.
    doesn't make a difference. you can launch the emu from cmd or any root command line access to the pre.
    Would anyone be willing to make a debian image with some of this already installed available somewhere? Mine got corrupted somehow after I had done a lot of work installing the emulators and whatnot. It would really be appreciated. I have an ftp server you could upload it to... you can PM me if you'd like.

Thanks in advance.
    Still hoping someone will help me out. Willing to give you a few bucks for it if that helps motivate.
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtygreek View Post
    Still hoping someone will help me out. Willing to give you a few bucks for it if that helps motivate.
    I'll do it but no need for the bucks. Mutualism man

Need about an hour to upload it to megaupload.

I can't guarantee that it will work.

Instructions:

Open the rar and you'll see 4 files:
    debiansmall.img
    deb.sh
    gb.sh
    nosnd.sh

You need Terminal app and Nodozze app pre-instaled.

1. Unrar debiansmall.img to your pre's usb drive and unrar the .sh files to your desktop
    2. Open WebOS Quick Install and send the deb.sh to /var/home/root/
    3. Open Nodozze and then Terminal app
    4. Type chmod 755 ./deb.sh
    5. Type ./deb.sh in the terminal
    [No need for this I think, just forget this two files in the rar]6. Again with WebOS Quick Install send gb.sh and nosnd.sh to /media/cf/
    7. Send your roms (romname.gbc or romname.gb) with WebOS Quick Install to /media/cf/
    8. Type chmod 755 ./gb.sh
    9. Type chmod 755 ./nosnd.sh
    10. Type ./gb.sh romname.gbc OR for playing with no sound ./nosnd.sh romname.gbc

Every time you want to play just open nodozze and terminal and type:
    ./deb.sh and Then ./gb.sh romname.gbc OR for playing with no sound ./nosnd.sh romname.gbc
    I think it will work...

If I'm not alowed to post this, please advise me and I'll remove the post.
    Here it is: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8W1TADKR
    Last edited by glorifiedg; 12/04/2009 at 12:55 PM.
    @dudestatus Do you know whats wrong with the nes emulation instructions on webosinternals? im getting a 404 error when i type de apt-get install... ?
    Glorifiedg, thanks, you are the man. I had already done everything and it was working perfectly. Had nes and gameboy games, etc, all great. Then, something happened, and my image got corrupted. This allows me to avoid having to do all the work of installing everything onto the image again.... because I'm lazy and it's not worth doing all that work twice, really, to play choppy nes games in a tiny frame

Thanks again man - got it set up, and the games start - having some trouble with directfb (which I had on my image as well) and some visuals. Lots of garbledness etc, but that may have already been addressed. Either way, it works with some games, and I really appreciate it.
    Last edited by dirtygreek; 12/04/2009 at 01:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by glorifiedg View Post
    @dudestatus Do you know whats wrong with the nes emulation instructions on webosinternals? im getting a 404 error when i type de apt-get install... ?
    IT worked for me. But I had to do a apt-get update before it would work.
    That package only have gnuboy... Sorry! I can't install nes. Don't now why I'm getting 404 error.

@spectre686 I'll try that thanks

@dirtygreek If I manage to install it I don't mind uploading the debsmall image again.

I was pretty stupid, the debsmall.img contains the gb.sh and the nosnd.sh files and some roms already X) So no need for all that steps!
    Last edited by glorifiedg; 12/04/2009 at 12:53 PM.