Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Has anybody been able to change the notification sound played for IMs via root access?

(or increase their volume more, or make it vibrate longer when they come in.)
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ualdayan View Post
    Has anybody been able to change the notification sound played for IMs via root access?
    Yup. pre dev wiki: Change the default notification.wav Sound
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jp22382 View Post
    Yup.
    Thank you, I've been looking at that site, but kept going to tethering and apparently missed seeing that article.
    Unfortunately, changing that sound changes it for all the "notifications", including SMS and plugging in the charger.

I've not found a way to isolate it (though I admittedly wasn't looking for it).
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chops View Post
    Unfortunately, changing that sound changes it for all the "notifications", including SMS and plugging in the charger.

I've not found a way to isolate it (though I admittedly wasn't looking for it).
    Yeah, that side effect was fine for me though. My family got 3 Pre's and when a text, IM, or anything came through it was time to play the - "Ok, who got it..." game because they all sounded the same, the screen doesn't stay on long, and there are no notification LEDs.

Bad thing is I did it that night, it took me awhile because novacom was refusing to install (kept showing up with exclamation in device manager), finally got it working around midnight. The next morning I wake up, Firefox loads the last webpage I was on - which was the wiki site where the page had changed a few hours after I'd used it to now say "WARNING - do not use this method!" Now I've just got to get some spare time to undo it, and redo it with the new method.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    I've used this on my last several devices and think it's the BEST sound possible for letting you know you have a new message.

SimplytheBest E-mail event WAV sounds

And then scroll down to monty_message.wav

Since it applies to all notifications, I edited out the words for use on my Pre right now.
    8MB Visor --> Treo 300 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    All devices obtained within first week of launch