1.    #1  
    If you turn off your Pre, and then hold the volume UP button while you turn it back on... the screen will show a large white USB Icon... and it will stay there until you press the power button again.

i'm not sure if this is helpful to anyone but I had to do this earlier when my Pre decided to freeze while booting.

p.s. if the webOS doctor isn't recognizing your phone while attempting to reinstall the software... just unplug your pre... reset your computer... turn off pre... hold volume up and turn the pre back on... plug in the pre and it should find it!

hope this info comes in handy for someone
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    I can confirm that this works.
    8MB Visor --> Treo 300 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    All devices obtained within first week of launch
    Quote Originally Posted by mokash34 View Post
    If you turn off your Pre, and then hold the volume UP button while you turn it back on... the screen will show a large white USB Icon... and it will stay there until you press the power button again.

i'm not sure if this is helpful to anyone but I had to do this earlier when my Pre decided to freeze while booting.

p.s. if the webOS doctor isn't recognizing your phone while attempting to reinstall the software... just unplug your pre... reset your computer... turn off pre... hold volume up and turn the pre back on... plug in the pre and it should find it!

hope this info comes in handy for someone
    We've had confirmation (in the #webos-internals IRC channel) from Palm staff responsible for the bootloader development that this is the way to enter the bootloader recovery mode. As long as you never overwrite the bootloader (which is really very very very hard to do unintentionally), this will always enable you to recover your Pre from any problems and do a complete reinstall.

Apparently they also have a recovery tool for the case where the bootloader gets wiped, but that is not released to the public. The need to use that tool should be limited to people who lose power just at the wrong time in the middle of a recovery session using the webOS Doctor.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Anyone else get this to work? I have a Pre updated to 1.0.2 and turning it off, holding the volume up, and pressing or pressing and holding the power button just causes it to boot like normal. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Little off topic but still about flashing the pre...

Does the backup save everything you've done as far as synergy contact merging/profile merging, etc? What about text messages?

I've just put a massive amount of time into tweaking contacts and before I start playing with code that will inevitably result in me having to wipe my pre, I wanted to ask.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by jkal25 View Post
    Anyone else get this to work? I have a Pre updated to 1.0.2 and turning it off, holding the volume up, and pressing or pressing and holding the power button just causes it to boot like normal. Thanks.
    try this:

power off

Hold Volume Up

Plug into power source... (usb or wall charger)
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Perfect - that's exactly it. Thank you very much.