Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
    After following the WIKI, all I can manage is 'This device cannot start. (Code 10)'

Any ideas on what I may be doing wrong?
    Quote Originally Posted by emkman View Post
    Sorry I took so long
    Thanks for this. But just FYI, this does not appear to work in Vista x32. Vista won't install the driver.
    Quote Originally Posted by emkman View Post
    Sorry I took so long.
    pre dev wiki: USBnet networking setup
    Still don't have OS X 10.5 working yet, or DNS resolution on windows. But SSH works fine. I assume OpenBGP's suggestion works fine as well. Jack87, if you can let me know if the the usb0 interface shows up in 10.4, that would be great. Thanks guys.
    Just to confirm. i need to enable usbnet on the pre as root (i used my winxp 32 bit laptop to do this) then ifconfig shows me usb0 at 192.168.0.202 and usb0:1 at 192.168.2.101

now i connected i via usb to the mac osx 10.4.11

in the preferences under network all i see is built in ethernet two parallels network adapters and one airport. nothing for the pre. Am i doing something wrong or is it just not working?
    Quote Originally Posted by Narfler View Post
    After following the WIKI, all I can manage is 'This device cannot start. (Code 10)'

i to am getting the same thing on winxp pro 32bit

Update:

Third time is a charm i guess... i tried three times and it started working after the third.. dont know why

Update 2:
    So i tried connecting to the pre using putty and ssh with no luck. it is showing that i am connected to the usb network. i did configure the tcp ip settings. funny thing is it shows the network twice and same name very odd. but when i configured the tcp ip for one it automatically put the same settings in the other

Update 2.1:

Ok silly me i was trying to connect to putty using my computer's ip haha (192.168.0.203) as i fixed it to 192.168.0.202 and ran the tether.sh file after connecting via ssh it started working like a charm... for the dns i used the two following which were recommended for my sprint ip.

Thanks again emkman you rock....... as for the mac 10.4 still no luck any ideas of what i should try?
    Last edited by jack87; 06/23/2009 at 01:54 PM.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dsackr View Post
    Yes - the comment in the code isn't questioning why the loop exists, its asking why the ip_forward value resets back to 0 - this loop exists to keep the value at 1 - otherwise your tether stops working. The reason the value resets is (in my opinion) by design from Palm to keep tethering from working in this fashion - there is a watch deamon running somewhere that watches and resets this value (among other things I'm sure)...
    It would appear that /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward is being reset by the PmConnectionManager service. The workaround to this is rather trivial:
    stop PmConnectionManager

However, I'm guessing this process must do something other than just watch ip_forward, so I would turn it back on when you are done tethering.
    so when i am tethering it seems to work for awhile then stops loading the pages then all of a sudden i t may just come back but maybe more often then not it does not continue to work
    Quote Originally Posted by jack87 View Post
    i to am getting the same thing on winxp pro 32bit

Update:

Third time is a charm i guess... i tried three times and it started working after the third.. dont know why

Update 2:
    So i tried connecting to the pre using putty and ssh with no luck. it is showing that i am connected to the usb network. i did configure the tcp ip settings. funny thing is it shows the network twice and same name very odd. but when i configured the tcp ip for one it automatically put the same settings in the other

Update 2.1:

Ok silly me i was trying to connect to putty using my computer's ip haha (192.168.0.203) as i fixed it to 192.168.0.202 and ran the tether.sh file after connecting via ssh it started working like a charm... for the dns i used the two following which were recommended for my sprint ip.

Thanks again emkman you rock....... as for the mac 10.4 still no luck any ideas of what i should try?
    How do you find the DNS Servers to use?
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    so when i am tethering it seems to work for awhile then stops loading the pages then all of a sudden i t may just come back but maybe more often then not it does not continue to work
    Try running "stop PmConnectionManager" while tethering. When you are done, "start PmConnectionManager"
    Quote Originally Posted by lcars123 View Post
    How do you find the DNS Servers to use?
    DNSServerList.org

I went to that page and it gave me a list of three i dont know how accurate it is but it worked
    Quote Originally Posted by muchtall View Post
    Try running "stop PmConnectionManager" while tethering. When you are done, "start PmConnectionManager"
    Hey that worked great wow sweetness.... what i did is i stopped it then ran the tether.sh file then it seemed to work much faster then ive had from before

with 1 little bar

no dropped connection no matter how many pages i have loading at the same time or however long i pause between using the computer i love this great seems to be working better then pdanet ever did on my 755p and centro
    Last edited by jack87; 06/23/2009 at 03:29 PM.
    DNSServerList.org

I went to that page and it gave me a list of three i dont know how accurate it is but it worked
    Didn't work for me.
    Didn't work for me.
    just use the two dns servers i posted... did you get the pre to a usb network adapter? if so edit the tcp ip as instructed and use the two dns' i listed.
    just use the two dns servers i posted... did you get the pre to a usb network adapter? if so edit the tcp ip as instructed and use the two dns' i listed.
    Yeah my system picks it up and everything. Driver installed fine. Didn't have any issues until this. I tried the DNS servers you listed too. Still doesn't work. Not sure whats going on.
    Yeah my system picks it up and everything. Driver installed fine. Didn't have any issues until this. I tried the DNS servers you listed too. Still doesn't work. Not sure whats going on.
    have you rooted your pre connected by ssh and created and ran the tether.sh script?
    Quote Originally Posted by dsackr View Post
    you don't have to setup firefox or IE to use the socks proxy - here is what I did:

Root your phone (use the wiki linked in this thread several times)
    Connect using Personal Area Network (PAN - bluetooth)
    Most technical part:
    using putty or ssh, connect to Pre (over ip 10.1.1.10)
    type 'sudo su -'
    type your password

First time only:

type 'vi tether.sh'
    hit the letter i
    paste this portion of fish199902's code:

#---------------- begin code --------------------------

iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ppp0 -j MASQUERADE

while true; do
    # This value resets iteself to 0 periodically, anyone know why?
    echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
    sleep 10
    done

#---------------- end code --------------------------

hit esc
    type ':wq'
    hit enter

this should have created a file called tether.sh with the code from above in it, and those steps are a one time only event.

type '. ./tether.sh' and hit enter
    you should now be able to surf the web without setting up proxies on your laptop. In the future, you only need to connect to pan - putty/ssh to the phone and run tether.sh as root. - hope that helps
    you have to do the steps listed above while being logged in via ssh

but before your run then tether.sh file type 'stop PmConnectionManager' then when you are done tethering in the putty screen hit Ctrl+C then type 'start PmConnectionManager'
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Narfler View Post

This is what I am getting as well.. have tried to uninstall it several times.. remove old network devices..
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Just a quick FYI: It would appear that PmConnectionManager is important if you wish to continue using the data connection on your Pre as well. If you leave PmConnectionManager stopped, the browser will complain that you don't have a data connection and insist that you turn on WiFi.

It would be great if someone with the appropriate knowledge could find out what bit to toggle in the PmConnectionManager binary so that it would stop trying to reset ip_forward.
    Hey that worked great wow sweetness.... what i did is i stopped it then ran the tether.sh file then it seemed to work much faster then ive had from before

with 1 little bar[/URL]

no dropped connection no matter how many pages i have loading at the same time or however long i pause between using the computer i love this great seems to be working better then pdanet ever did on my 755p and centro
    Hi Jack,

Wondering how you got such good speeds, mine crawl at barely 150/190 kbps...
    Quote Originally Posted by muchtall View Post
    Just a quick FYI: It would appear that PmConnectionManager is important if you wish to continue using the data connection on your Pre as well. If you leave PmConnectionManager stopped, the browser will complain that you don't have a data connection and insist that you turn on WiFi.

It would be great if someone with the appropriate knowledge could find out what bit to toggle in the PmConnectionManager binary so that it would stop trying to reset ip_forward.
    you know i noticed that its not too bad though because browser still loads pages after you ignore it.. although after tethering i am planning on turning it back on. now the nice thing would be if someone wrote an app with a switch like the dev mode app that would run both the sh script and turn on/off the pmconnection manager so you dont have to do it in a terminal
    Quote Originally Posted by mykael View Post
    Hi Jack,

Wondering how you got such good speeds, mine crawl at barely 150/190 kbps...
    i did it with the PmConnectionManager turned stopped... with it on it doesnt work really well. if that doesnt work then it may just be your location.. i am also doing it through usb not wifi or BT