Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
    I have USB networking functional on windows, and not quite working on mac now. This lets you keep your phone charged, possibly better speeds, and some people don't have bluetooth. Stay tuned for a wiki entry by the end of the weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by emkman View Post
    I have USB networking functional on windows, and not quite working on mac now. This lets you keep your phone charged, possibly better speeds, and some people don't have bluetooth. Stay tuned for a wiki entry by the end of the weekend.
    Very cool I am excited to be a beta tester for you ...
    I thought you can't post that info on the wiki. However, if you need test, pls pm me
    Quote Originally Posted by dsackr View Post
    ...you should now be able to surf the web without setting up proxies on your laptop. In the future, you only need to connect to pan - putty/ssh to the phone and run tether.sh as root. - hope that helps
    Two things:

1.Since we have full access to the Pre how is it nobody has found the NAI settings?
    2.Couldn't you make an executable app to run tether.sh as some people are doing here?

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...t-rooting.html
    Last edited by deesugar; 06/19/2009 at 10:16 PM.
    Go emkman go! Me needs tethering asap.
    I got the phone to show up as a USB ethernet gadget when plugged in through usb, but I couldn't find a driver (after scouring google) that would let windows work with it. Any suggestions? Or should I just wait till you put the post up?
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Got mine to work via bluetooth, I'm pretty happy about that. Wouldn't mind being able to use USBthough, but I'm in no rush. n_n
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    Hey guys, thanks for all of this great info. I am able to get the BT PAN method to work, but the PAN connection is dropping when the device says "your service account does not all internet connection sharing." I am able to surf the web for about 2 minutes until this message comes up. Is there any way to hold the PAN connection? BTW, I'm running Win7 RC x86.

Thanks!
    Sidekick Color > Moto MPx220 > HTC Typhoon > Moto Q > HTC Apache > HTC Hermes > HTC Tilt > Palm Pre > HTC EVO 4G > HTC EVO 3D

iPad 16GB WiFi > iPad 2 64GB WiFi
    Quote Originally Posted by huytrang90 View Post
    I thought you can't post that info on the wiki. However, if you need test, pls pm me
    I will not be posting anything about tethering in the wiki. I am simply going to provide instructions on creating a usb network, which gives you wired ssh among other things. I find this more convenient than BT or WiFi and you aren't draining the battery. This alone will not give you tethered internet access and does not violate your network agreement. Regardless, you should only use this information for good and not evil.

Quote Originally Posted by zinge View Post
    I got the phone to show up as a USB ethernet gadget when plugged in through usb, but I couldn't find a driver (after scouring google) that would let windows work with it. Any suggestions? Or should I just wait till you put the post up?
    I was able to modify an existing driver I found to make it work. I am collecting notes on stability now, but regardless I will put the driver up tomorrow. Is there anyone with Mac OS 10.4 that can do some tests for me? Allegedly it should work out of the box.
    I will not be posting anything about tethering in the wiki. I am simply going to provide instructions on creating a usb network, which gives you wired ssh among other things. I find this more convenient than BT or WiFi and you aren't draining the battery. This alone will not give you tethered internet access and does not violate your network agreement. Regardless, you should only use this information for good and not evil.

I was able to modify an existing driver I found to make it work. I am collecting notes on stability now, but regardless I will put the driver up tomorrow. Is there anyone with Mac OS 10.4 that can do some tests for me? Allegedly it should work out of the box.
    at work on monday i can gain access to the 10.4 mac osx.
    Thanks emkman, this is great news. I guess you still ssh into your rooted pre and use a socks proxy? But only this time it is via USB?

Cant wait! You are brilliant!
    Yes, I need this for some reason my bluetooth drops the connection seemingly at random and I have to reconnect. It's annoying.
    Quote Originally Posted by lcars123 View Post
    Yes, I need this for some reason my bluetooth drops the connection seemingly at random and I have to reconnect. It's annoying.
    Me, too. Really looking forward to the USB networking.
    Quote Originally Posted by dsackr View Post
    you don't have to setup firefox or IE to use the socks proxy - here is what I did:

Root your phone (use the wiki linked in this thread several times)
    Connect using Personal Area Network (PAN - bluetooth)
    Most technical part:
    using putty or ssh, connect to Pre (over ip 10.1.1.10)
    type 'sudo su -'
    type your password

First time only:

type 'vi tether.sh'
    hit the letter i
    paste this portion of fish199902's code:

#---------------- begin code --------------------------

iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ppp0 -j MASQUERADE

while true; do
    # This value resets iteself to 0 periodically, anyone know why?
    echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
    sleep 10
    done

#---------------- end code --------------------------

hit esc
    type ':wq'
    hit enter

this should have created a file called tether.sh with the code from above in it, and those steps are a one time only event.

type '. ./tether.sh' and hit enter
    you should now be able to surf the web without setting up proxies on your laptop. In the future, you only need to connect to pan - putty/ssh to the phone and run tether.sh as root. - hope that helps
    hey thanks for your help it works great... but after a few min it drops the pan connection and stops pairing computer with the phone also it wont connect back saying the device is out of range or turned off unless i turn the BT on and off on the pre. any idea why that might be and how can i fix it?

also what exactly does 'sleep 10' mean in the code there
    Last edited by jack87; 06/22/2009 at 05:19 PM.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    while true; do
    sleep 10
    done

This is a while loop. Basically, while the statement is true continue running. Basically the way out of it is to break out of it with a Ctrl-C or killing the loop some how. It will execute between the while and done. The 'sleep 10' puts a pause in there for 10 seconds. otherwise it would just keep looping quickly, and depending on what's in the loop bump up CPU utilization. Sleep just allows things to stay under control.

The
    thanks for the explanation. really do appreciate it
    My test results are in

Download Speed: 554 kbps (69.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 337 kbps (42.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Sorry I took so long.
    pre dev wiki: USBnet networking setup
    Still don't have OS X 10.5 working yet, or DNS resolution on windows. But SSH works fine. I assume OpenBGP's suggestion works fine as well. Jack87, if you can let me know if the the usb0 interface shows up in 10.4, that would be great. Thanks guys.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vandi View Post
    while true; do
    sleep 10
    done

This is a while loop. Basically, while the statement is true continue running. Basically the way out of it is to break out of it with a Ctrl-C or killing the loop some how. It will execute between the while and done. The 'sleep 10' puts a pause in there for 10 seconds. otherwise it would just keep looping quickly, and depending on what's in the loop bump up CPU utilization. Sleep just allows things to stay under control.
    Yes - the comment in the code isn't questioning why the loop exists, its asking why the ip_forward value resets back to 0 - this loop exists to keep the value at 1 - otherwise your tether stops working. The reason the value resets is (in my opinion) by design from Palm to keep tethering from working in this fashion - there is a watch deamon running somewhere that watches and resets this value (among other things I'm sure)...
    I will be in the office later this afternoon and I will test it out then. Thanks again for your efforts and for sharing your findings.
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast