Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 388
  1. #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by grindz145 View Post
    @fish what do you mean by this:

    Then type in about:config, enter 'dns' in filter and double click network.proxy.socks_remote_dns

    I setup the proxy and connection just fine but it dosn't want to pass traffic (likely because DNS is not setup properly) I feel like I should already know this but ... n00b.

    Thanks.
    If you use the FoxyProxy extension, you should not need this extra step.
  2. #62  
    looks like this is going to be a no go for me for now... maybe when I have more time I will see if I can access the root in Win 7. Thanks for all the help and advice
  3. #63  
    I haven't got my pre yet but I am anxious to try one of these methods. Does anyone know which one works better adhoc or bluetooth?
  4. #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by grindz145 View Post
    @fish what do you mean by this:

    Then type in about:config, enter 'dns' in filter and double click network.proxy.socks_remote_dns

    I setup the proxy and connection just fine but it dosn't want to pass traffic (likely because DNS is not setup properly) I feel like I should already know this but ... n00b.

    Thanks.
    This tells Firefox to route DNS though the proxy as well as regular traffic. Type 'about:config' into your URL bar and press enter. Firefox might give a warning, click 'I'll be carefull, I promise!'. Then at the top of the page there is a text box where you enter a filter. Type in 'dns'. You should see ~4 properties listed, double click the line that says 'network.proxy.socks_remote_dns', so that in the value column it says true.
  5. #65  
    ok I gave it another stab and finally rooted device and connected via putty, but after that I come to a road-block. I have the settings in Firefox set, but when I log in and type in my password I get (*************@castle:~$) in the putty consle. Also no net conectivity on PC.

    Any help?
  6. #66  
    xcomputerman great suggestion! I finally got it to work right using foxyproxy.

    Thanks for the explanation fish, I was a little too sleep deprived the first try:-d
  7. dsackr's Avatar
    Posts
    41 Posts
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    #67  
    you don't have to setup firefox or IE to use the socks proxy - here is what I did:

    Root your phone (use the wiki linked in this thread several times)
    Connect using Personal Area Network (PAN - bluetooth)
    Most technical part:
    using putty or ssh, connect to Pre (over ip 10.1.1.10)
    log in as the user id you created when you root'ed your phone
    type 'sudo su -'
    type your password

    First time only:

    type 'vi tether.sh'
    hit the letter i
    paste this portion of fish199902's code:

    #---------------- begin code --------------------------

    iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ppp0 -j MASQUERADE

    while true; do
    # This value resets iteself to 0 periodically, anyone know why?
    echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
    sleep 10
    done

    #---------------- end code --------------------------

    hit esc
    type ':wq'
    hit enter

    this should have created a file called tether.sh with the code from above in it, and those steps are a one time only event.

    type '. ./tether.sh' and hit enter
    you should now be able to surf the web without setting up proxies on your laptop. In the future, you only need to connect to pan - putty/ssh to the phone and run tether.sh as root. - hope that helps
  8. #68  
    Explains why my attempts ad modifying the firewall rules failed, if it keeps turning off up forwarding that would disable it.
  9. #69  
    @dsacker you can also install a graphical shell using your web browser which then would allow you to execute the script without ssh at all.

    pre dev wiki: Graphical Shell


    Edit: on second thought, you may need to still SSH over BT. This would work with wifi rule but you would have to change the script a bit.
    Last edited by grindz145; 06/17/2009 at 08:48 AM.
  10. #70  
    Anybody having problems connecting to the NAP? I can pair with the Pre, and set up a hands-free connection, but I keep getting errors the device is busy when trying to connect with NAP. I know it works because I was successful yesterday but haven't been able to re-connect with it since. Reinstalled BT drivers a couple times, unpaired the device, rebooted the Pre, etc...all same thing.

    Any ideas?
  11. #71  
    Pairing seems to work best for me right after the bluetooth configuration window is opened and turned on. I think it probably sends out a bunch of packets then so it's easier to pair.
  12. wprater's Avatar
    Posts
    240 Posts
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    #72  
    IP Forward trick works great! I did this on OS X with no issues. you need to make sure you turn off wifi on the pre though.

  13. rmp459's Avatar
    Posts
    35 Posts
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by kmehr View Post
    Unfortunately I am running win 7 64-bit and it will not work for me
    I can second this...
  14. rmp459's Avatar
    Posts
    35 Posts
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by dsackr View Post
    you don't have to setup firefox or IE to use the socks proxy - here is what I did:

    Root your phone (use the wiki linked in this thread several times)
    Connect using Personal Area Network (PAN - bluetooth)
    Most technical part:
    using putty or ssh, connect to Pre (over ip 10.1.1.10)
    log in as the user id you created when you root'ed your phone
    type 'sudo su -'
    type your password

    First time only:

    type 'vi tether.sh'
    hit the letter i
    paste this portion of fish199902's code:

    #---------------- begin code --------------------------

    iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ppp0 -j MASQUERADE

    while true; do
    # This value resets iteself to 0 periodically, anyone know why?
    echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
    sleep 10
    done

    #---------------- end code --------------------------

    hit esc
    type ':wq'
    hit enter

    this should have created a file called tether.sh with the code from above in it, and those steps are a one time only event.

    type '. ./tether.sh' and hit enter
    you should now be able to surf the web without setting up proxies on your laptop. In the future, you only need to connect to pan - putty/ssh to the phone and run tether.sh as root. - hope that helps
    When I try to execute this file I get permission denied... any ideas?
  15. #75  
    RMP, you have to run as root, try using the sudo or su command, or google these to do a bit more reading on how it works. you can also use a chmod command to make it executable by your main user.
  16. #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by wprater View Post
    IP Forward trick works great! I did this on OS X with no issues. you need to make sure you turn off wifi on the pre though.
    Hmm How do you get such good speeds. With 4 bars of Ev DO I only get .20/.20 down/up. Its really sluggish...
  17. rmp459's Avatar
    Posts
    35 Posts
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by grindz145 View Post
    RMP, you have to run as root, try using the sudo or su command, or google these to do a bit more reading on how it works. you can also use a chmod command to make it executable by your main user.
    I am running as root... and I have used sudo ... lol ive tried to chmod as well to make it RW... but no luck.. I guess ill keep trying...

    Somehow my root filesystem is read only...
    Last edited by rmp459; 06/18/2009 at 05:36 PM.
  18. #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by rmp459 View Post
    When I try to execute this file I get permission denied... any ideas?
    chmod 755 ./tether.sh
    ./tether.sh

    and it should run.

    Note that the phone waking every 10 seconds to send that "1" to ip_forward will probably affect battery life. You might want to kill the tether.sh script when you're done.

    ps aux |grep tether
    (get the number)
    kill 1234



    -Z
  19. rmp459's Avatar
    Posts
    35 Posts
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post
    chmod 755 ./tether.sh
    ./tether.sh

    and it should run.

    Note that the phone waking every 10 seconds to send that "1" to ip_forward will probably affect battery life. You might want to kill the tether.sh script when you're done.

    ps aux |grep tether
    (get the number)
    kill 1234



    -Z
    Thanks for the kill info... only problem is I can't even write the tether.sh file...

    Ive tried even "sudo vi tether.sh" but when I try to write and quit it says "tether.sh Read-only file system"

    Im guessing I have to remount the file system as rw somehow...

    EDIT: okay i remounted my filesystem as rw and was able to write tether.sh.... is it okay to leave the filesystem as rw? or should I remount it back to ro?

    Also, (lol god i suck) "./tether.sh: line 4: iptables: not found" when I try to run it
    Last edited by rmp459; 06/18/2009 at 06:04 PM.
  20. dsackr's Avatar
    Posts
    41 Posts
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by rmp459 View Post
    Also, (lol god i suck) "./tether.sh: line 4: iptables: not found" when I try to run it
    The issue is you don't have the path in your $PATH variable - I don't type sudo before each command - instead I type this:

    sudo su -

    You then become root and all subsequent comments are executed as root and does not need the sudo prefix...
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions