Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
    Yes, that is correct

I also forgot a requirement for linux users with recent versions of bluez: You need a passkey agent (bluez-gnome, gnome-bluetooth, etc.) installed and running to enter the passcode for pairing.
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lcars123 View Post
    Then configure which application I want to use. Which most of the time it will just be to browse the internet.

Correct???
    Yes, you'll have to set up the ssh tunnel and enable/disable the SOCKS proxy on your web browser each time. If you forget to disable your SOCKS proxy in your browser once you get to your home/office LAN, your browser won't work.

Just go get the Pre and stop worrying so much about tethering. If it's that mission-critical, you'd get an aircard! We're all making this up as we go along, so I'd encourage you to become an early adopter and help the community discover bugs and make forward progress.
    Quote Originally Posted by edoan View Post
    Yes, you'll have to set up the ssh tunnel and enable/disable the SOCKS proxy on your web browser each time. If you forget to disable your SOCKS proxy in your browser once you get to your home/office LAN, your browser won't work.

Just go get the Pre and stop worrying so much about tethering. If it's that mission-critical, you'd get an aircard! We're all making this up as we go along, so I'd encourage you to become an early adopter and help the community discover bugs and make forward progress.
    I'm buying it. I'm number 43 on the waiting list.
    Ok not sure why I am getting an error but I have followed the instructions and still no luck... COuld it be because I am running Win 7 64-Bit?

Whenever I select "ok" after making the instructed changes I get "Putty Fatal error - Network Error: connection timed out"

any suggestions
    Did it connect to the PAN correctly? Try going to a command prompt and typing ping 10.1.1.10 this will test if you are actually connected to your pre
    Quote Originally Posted by fish199902 View Post
    Did it connect to the PAN correctly? Try going to a command prompt and typing ping 10.1.1.10 this will test if you are actually connected to your pre
    Guess my PAN is not connecting correctly. When I went to cmd and typed in tthe address I get :10.1.1.10 is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file" however on the Pre it shows my pc with the blue globe next to it after connecting via access point in win 7

correction forgot to type in ping...lol

this is what I get (see the attached image)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kmehr; 06/15/2009 at 04:34 PM.
    Well, It looks as though PAN is functioning. If you rooted your Pre during the first day or so, you might have to use port 2222 instead of 222 in PuTTY because the instructions were different at first. You might also try turning your firewall off before connecting again.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Question. What portion of this am I going to have to do when I want to tether after the first time?

Answer:

Connect to Pre using PAN -
    Open Putty and connect to Pre using saved session (so you don't have to repeat the tunnel or keep alive settings)
    Configure browser to use socks proxy (for me its a "turn on proxy" button using firefox and quickproxy plugin)
    Well, It looks as though PAN is functioning. If you rooted your Pre during the first day or so, you might have to use port 2222 instead of 222 in PuTTY because the instructions were different at first. You might also try turning your firewall off before connecting again.
    I think thats the problem I havent rooted my pre yet.... thought I could just do these steps in Putty and that would be it.

I will search for info on what I need to do properly root the device
    Any chance for this to come by way of usb cable. My lappy doesn't have bluetooth atm
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OpenBGP View Post
    Any chance for this to come by way of usb cable. My lappy doesn't have bluetooth atm
    This method relies on Bluetooth PAN to establish IP connectivity with the PC. USB connectivity requires a PC driver to talk with the Pre's usbnet connection, which I've been unsuccessful at hacking. I wonder if novacom might work?

If you want the easy solution, go to Fry's or newegg.com and buy a $10 Bluetooth USB dongle.
    Quote Originally Posted by edoan View Post
    This method relies on Bluetooth PAN to establish IP connectivity with the PC. USB connectivity requires a PC driver to talk with the Pre's usbnet connection, which I've been unsuccessful at hacking. I wonder if novacom might work?

If you want the easy solution, go to Fry's or newegg.com and buy a $10 Bluetooth USB dongle.
    I didnt think so, but I was hoping. I already ordered one from newegg, thanks for the reply.
    Global Posts
    337 Global Posts
    Good job on the find Fish....Me and i few guys working on it got it to work in the same way a few days ago... but be very careful posting the information publicly. palm has already warned us about it.. thats why we haven't put any detailed instructions up about it.

Maybe a offshore site will fix that problem.. and then we can post some actual true direct tethering methods we have. stay tuned/
    Last edited by atlanta; 06/16/2009 at 06:22 AM.
    Guys,

Great post. I don't have a pre but I have been looking through the code in the webos rom. I have some ideas on tethering but I don't know if I should post them on here as per warning etc on the wiki.

Any thoughts? If its ok I will post what I have found and some ideas I have...

Thanks Greg
    There is a chat room where such matters can be discussed but since I haven't posted 10 times I cant do a normal link. Just change the 11s to normal http

h11p://chat.efnet.org/irc.cgi?chan=%23webosdev
    I used Ad-Hoc on my pre, and it WORKED!

Heres what I did to make it work:
    Code:
    # Setting up ad-hoc network
    iwconfig eth0 mode Ad-Hoc
    iwconfig eth0 ap any
    iwconfig eth0 key off
    iwconfig eth0 essid PreNet
    iwconfig eth0 channel 6
    ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.1 up

# Route traffic from wifi to evdo
    echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
    iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ppp0 -j MASQUERADE

# Stop routing through my local gateway, leaving only the Ev-Do route
    route del default gw 192.168.2.1

while true; do
        # This value resets iteself to 0 periodically, anyone know why?
        echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
        sleep 10
    done

# There should be code to restore the old network here
    And the settings on the remote computer:
    IP: 192.168.1.5
    Gateway: 192.168.1.1
    DNS: 4.2.2.1

Update: I can confirm I was going though the sprint network, and not another connection. I checked an ISP lookup website and it said Sprint
    Damn good find fish. I had Ive been trying to get this to work for the past 2 days. I had all of my IP tables setup and ip_forward set to 1, but I never noticed it was being changed back to 0. Solved my problem! You rock dude! Thanks!
    Hot tip for Firefox users:

Install the FoxyProxy extension, and then add a socks proxy for your new PAN tether. That way, you can easily switch between your Pre Tether and regular internet connection with a simple right click on the status bar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahchoo View Post
    Damn good find fish. I had Ive been trying to get this to work for the past 2 days. I had all of my IP tables setup and ip_forward set to 1, but I never noticed it was being changed back to 0. Solved my problem! You rock dude! Thanks!
    How is this working for you guys? I tried this last night, when I get to "iwconfig eth0 essid PreNet" I get a message back that it can't find PreNet. Do I ignore the message and keep going, or is there something else you guys have done, other than rooting the pre?
    Has anyone tried using iptables to enable masquerading between the Pre's Bluetooth interface and EVDO when doing PAN? From what I've read here it might work, and provide a more seamless tether experience than a proxy.

I left my USB cable at home or I'd try it now. Guess we'll find out this evening.
    @fish what do you mean by this:

Then type in about:config, enter 'dns' in filter and double click network.proxy.socks_remote_dns

I setup the proxy and connection just fine but it dosn't want to pass traffic (likely because DNS is not setup properly) I feel like I should already know this but ... n00b.

Thanks.
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast