Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 914151617181920 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by HeyRobi View Post
    Ok so no one has a solution for a Mac and tethering?
    Quote Originally Posted by TrickerZ View Post
    Yeah, buy a PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    hahaha
    Yeah, thats hilarious.

Seriously guys. We need to be helping each other out instead of resorting to OS fanboy crap.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peestandingup View Post
    Yeah, thats hilarious.

Seriously guys. We need to be helping each other out instead of resorting to OS fanboy crap.
    Buy me a MAC and I will try to help and be snobby.

In a perfect world, everyone would own a MAC. In the current world, only those with an extra grand to blow own MACS. Go buy a data card.
    Just giving everyone an update, I haven't disappeared. I've been re-factoring the code for "my tether" to support multiple tethering options, as well as a panel to manage all the services supported by "my tether". Such as DHCP, USBNet, and probably other that will come up with different tethering options.
    My Tether - version 2.1.0 now live. No patching, no ad-hoc, more features!
    Quote Originally Posted by Grubish View Post
    Buy me a MAC and I will try to help and be snobby.

In a perfect world, everyone would own a MAC. In the current world, only those with an extra grand to blow own MACS. Go buy a data card.
    Yeah, see its comments like that which is what I'm talking about. Why the f post that?? It helps no one & makes you look like a tool at the same time. Not calling you a tool, I dont know you, but it makes you look like one.

BTW, I dont need to "go buy a data card" because I have this working beautifully on my Dell Mini 9 running Windows 7 RC. But I also have a 12" PowerBook that I'd like to do this with as well. OMFG!! A Mac user that also uses PCs!?!

Yeah, I think you've been watching too many "I'm a Mac/Im a PC" ads & should prob remove your head from your ****. Mac users come in lots of different flavors my friend & we're not all the d0uchey stereotypes you see on TV, so lets all cut the crap & help each other out.
    Quote Originally Posted by zeropoint46 View Post
    I would like to give kudos to all the people who have done such good work here. I used to have a treo 800w that I hacked for tethering cause I needed it for work so when I found out the tethering options for the pre, it just didn't quite cut it for me. I didn't want to have to ssh to my phone every time I wanted to tether, or shutdown pmconnectionmanager and start it again. So, I'm not sure if this had been mentioned before but here is what I did to tether.

1) ssh to the phone, sudo to root and go to /usr/bin

2) cp PmConnectionManager PmConnectionManager.orig just in case you mess something up

3) stop PmConnectionManager

4) vi PmConnectionManager and do a find for "forward" (with vi you use / then the string you are looking for)

5) the third "forward" you find should say "Disabling IP Forwarding^@0^@^@^@"

6) change the 0 to a 1, save and quit

7) start PmConnectionManager

I did this and kept checking my /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward file and it is now staying at 1. with this and the correct IPtable rules I can just connect my phone via usb or bluetooth and get right on the net without ssh or anything else. I rebooted the phone many times and it has stuck also the iptable rull I'm using looks something like this:

iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ppp0 -j MASQUERADE

now it's working great and I love it, no more ssh, no more extra apps.
    This worked perfectly on my pre with webos 1.0.4 and MacOS Leopard 10.5.7. Thank you so much!

No problem etx, when I figured it out I figured the people around here would be happy to know how to do it considering how pleased I was. tbh I wasn't sure if it was really gonna work but I guess all is good now. Btw, nice speeds I can't get that high.
    No problem etx, when I figured it out I figured the people around here would be happy to know how to do it considering how pleased I was. tbh I wasn't sure if it was really gonna work but I guess all is good now. Btw, nice speeds I can't get that high.
    So do you have that iptables rule set up permanently? Does it mess with your regular data to your Pre?
    I added the iptable rule to my dropbear upstart script. so in that sense yes, it's permanent. As far as affecting my data on the phone, I don't have any issues, I can browse the web/use the internet on the phone while I'm tethered on my laptop. so far I have seen no negative effects.
    Another thing I just noticed after changing the file, on connecting over bluetooth I'm not getting then nag message about not having tethering enabled on my account.
    Global Posts
    337 Global Posts
    I would like to give kudos to all the people who have done such good work here. I used to have a treo 800w that I hacked for tethering cause I needed it for work so when I found out the tethering options for the pre, it just didn't quite cut it for me. I didn't want to have to ssh to my phone every time I wanted to tether, or shutdown pmconnectionmanager and start it again. So, I'm not sure if this had been mentioned before but here is what I did to tether.

2) cp PmConnectionManager PmConnectionManager.orig just in case you mess something up

4) vi PmConnectionManager and do a find for "forward" (with vi you use / then the string you are looking for)

I did this and kept checking my /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward file and it is now staying at 1. with this and the correct IPtable rules I can just connect my phone via usb or bluetooth and get right on the net without ssh or anything else. I rebooted the phone many times and it has stuck also the iptable rull I'm using looks something like this:

When using USB are you using USBNET ??

or far as the computer go do you have to change the default gateway etc?
    Global Posts
    337 Global Posts
    Install nano.. much easier for regular users
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Originally Posted by zeropoint46 View Post

Need some help I can get up to step 4 and I cannot find the 3rd forward (I cannot find any forward) and I loose my command line so I can no longer type commands is there a specific string I am supposed to type for example vi PmConnectionManager /forward or do I just search for forward using edit find?

TIA
    atlanta,

Yes I enabled usbnet, I followed the procedure on the predev.wikidot.com along with setting up dhcp as well. You also need to install a driver for it to work, but it's all there on the wiki so no need to reiterate it here.

robi,

you need to be in the correct directory, then you type vi PmConnectionManager on the command line and press enter. That should open the vi program, and you should be editing the pmconnectionmanager file. VI is a unix editor and it uses series of keyboard commands to perform those functions on files. So, use the "/" key to invoke the find function then type "forward" directly after it, now press enter and it will bring you to the first "forward" it finds in the file, now press the "n" key two times (each time going to the next instance of "forward" it finds) you should now be at the 3 forward and at the point in the file where you need to change the 0 to a 1. move your cursor over the "0" and press the "x" key to delete it then press the "i" key to go into insert mode, once in insert mode press 1 and it should add it. Now press the "esc" key to get out of insert mode and type ":wq" to save and quit or you can use "ZZ" (note capitalization). Let me know if that works for you.
    atlanta,

as far as the default gateway is concerned and the routing and dns, I didn't have to change any of that it automatically aquires it. I believe it gets it from the dhcp server on the phone, but I could be wrong. None the less it's automatic.
    Global Posts
    337 Global Posts
    OK yea dhcp gives it out Thanks. just wanted to make sure
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    here's the problem I have, I cannot even get my pre to connect through bluetooth to my macbook pro, circa 2006. It connects fine with other bluetooth devices, but for some reason it sees the pre, but when it goes to pair it fails, not inputing a key or nothing... any ideas?
    did you go through the pairing process?
    sorry, for some reason I didn't read the part about it failing to pair. what error message are you getting?
    atlanta,

as far as the default gateway is concerned and the routing and dns, I didn't have to change any of that it automatically aquires it. I believe it gets it from the dhcp server on the phone, but I could be wrong. None the less it's automatic.
    yes it is because of the dhcp server. good job zeropoint let us know if you run into anything when not tethering
    Quote Originally Posted by etx View Post
    This worked perfectly on my pre with webos 1.0.4 and MacOS Leopard 10.5.7. Thank you so much!

Are you using BT on the mac or USB?