Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81314151617181920 LastLast
    Just wondering, has anyone managed to get tethering to work in any from on a Mac? USB doesn't seem to be an option and I am having trouble connecting to my Pre using the Bluetooth PAN. Has anyone been successful? I'm running OS 10.5.6.
    Quote Originally Posted by prephone1000 View Post
    Just wondering, has anyone managed to get tethering to work in any from on a Mac? USB doesn't seem to be an option and I am having trouble connecting to my Pre using the Bluetooth PAN. Has anyone been successful? I'm running OS 10.5.6.
    The Leopard driver is not working atm...
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Quote Originally Posted by tweak41 View Post
    Yeah, I guess I rooted that way as well, I just went ahead and installed SSH and sudo capabilities to my user name. Throw sudo on there man and give it another go.

Update: Hey zinge: did you check out this link?

pre dev wiki: Next Steps: Enable the Optware Package Feed[/url]
    Yeah, I've seen all of it. I've done it before, but I exchanged my pre for one without dead pixels. I'm just lazy/don't feel like having non-native stuff installed atm, and I don't want any sort of ssh available. I like only using novaproxy to root because it doesn't involve installing anything. I'm not dead set on getting tethering to work, just though it'd be nice. If I can figure out how to get a stupid irc client working, I'll go back on the channel and try to get someone to work with me to figure out why the wiki usbnet instructions don't seem to work with the given driver using novaproxy and XP SP2. I haven't been on since I started work and since they killed mibbit access to freenode. mirc is giving me installation problems, and the download link for irsii was not working yesterday.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    Vista Users: Use the Remote NDIS Driver by Microsoft instead of the Linux one. It's much more stable.
    I used the xp driver for my Vista Ultimate 32 bit on my laptop and my Windows 7 RC x64 on my desktop (just for trial purposes) and it works fine. Have had no issues whatsoever. Weird.
    PAN works just fine. Just enable USB Tethering, then connect via Bluetooth PAN. You can connect to the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesm View Post
    SOCKS? Ick... There should be a much easier way to do this that just does a masq operation. The BT PAN is just another IP network and should have a network interface that cna be manipulated via iptables.

I don't understand why the wifi management stuff the Pre does should conflict with this. What I am talking about should be close to the way the Pre would handle it if tethering was authorized on the account by Sprint.
    Damn this thread is long.

Is there a step by step for those running Windows 7?? USB or Bluetooth is fine with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrgutier View Post
    PAN works just fine. Just enable USB Tethering, then connect via Bluetooth PAN. You can connect to the internet.
    So if you turn on the usb tethering app you can do the bluetooth thing without the socks proxy? That's pretty slick.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jrgutier View Post
    using that method right now, thats awsome, using windows 7 rc, works great, now my touchstone doesnt go to waste
    So... bluetooth PAN works fine for me, but USB still doesn't because it still gives me an error with the driver or something. Can anyone confirm that the driver works on XP Pro SP2?
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    it would not work for me on SP2. worked as soon as i updated to SP3.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Ok so no one has a solution for a Mac and tethering?
    Quote Originally Posted by HeyRobi View Post
    You should try the bluetooth method with this tethering app. That should work.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeyRobi View Post
    Yeah, buy a PC
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Has anyone else had a problem installing the usbnet-pre.inf driver on a Windows XP SP2 machine? I keep getting "This device cannot start. (Code 10)". I have gone back and reinstalled it several times. It shows two choices of the same drive. I tried both and get the same error. Rebooted the Pre. Tried in dev and non-dev mode. I choose Charge Only when connecting. Does this have something to do with how I am saving the file? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I feel like an ***** for not being able to get past a simple driver install. Tx! Preme
    preme, i have the same problem on my work laptop and i just figured that work was doing something to lock down the machine. i am on xp sp2 as well... i have not found a solution.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Install SP3

worked fine for me after i did that.
    Quote Originally Posted by preme90 View Post
    Has anyone else had a problem installing the usbnet-pre.inf driver on a Windows XP SP2 machine? I keep getting "This device cannot start. (Code 10)". I have gone back and reinstalled it several times. It shows two choices of the same drive. I tried both and get the same error. Rebooted the Pre. Tried in dev and non-dev mode. I choose Charge Only when connecting. Does this have something to do with how I am saving the file? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I feel like an ***** for not being able to get past a simple driver install. Tx! Preme
    I'm having the same problem. So are one or two others seems like sp3 might be required.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrickerZ View Post
    Yeah, buy a PC
    hahaha
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    I would like to give kudos to all the people who have done such good work here. I used to have a treo 800w that I hacked for tethering cause I needed it for work so when I found out the tethering options for the pre, it just didn't quite cut it for me. I didn't want to have to ssh to my phone every time I wanted to tether, or shutdown pmconnectionmanager and start it again. So, I'm not sure if this had been mentioned before but here is what I did to tether.

1) ssh to the phone, sudo to root and go to /usr/bin

2) cp PmConnectionManager PmConnectionManager.orig just in case you mess something up

3) stop PmConnectionManager

4) vi PmConnectionManager and do a find for "forward" (with vi you use / then the string you are looking for)

5) the third "forward" you find should say "Disabling IP Forwarding^@0^@^@^@"

6) change the 0 to a 1, save and quit

7) start PmConnectionManager

I did this and kept checking my /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward file and it is now staying at 1. with this and the correct IPtable rules I can just connect my phone via usb or bluetooth and get right on the net without ssh or anything else. I rebooted the phone many times and it has stuck also the iptable rull I'm using looks something like this:

iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ppp0 -j MASQUERADE

now it's working great and I love it, no more ssh, no more extra apps.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by frank828 View Post
    Install SP3

worked fine for me after i did that.

Thanks Frank! Upgrading to SP3 resolved the problem. I noticed after the fact that this was also mentioned in the "notes" near the bottom of predev.wikidot.com/usbnet-setup. Everything is working great now! Many thanks to everyone involved with getting this up and running.