Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7121314151617181920 LastLast
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Anyone figured out USBnet for OSX 10.5 yet? I've tried everything I can find online.... damn....
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    OK, So I have completely re-installed Vista as I cannot install XP on my laptop. With a fresh installation, I attempted to install the USBnet-pre.inf. I am getting the error 10 and cannot proceed.

I am starting to hate Vista more and more.

Can someone please repackage the driver for use on vista or tell me what I am doing wrong?

Thanks,
    Vista already has a driver I believe. There were instructions to select a predfined driver somewhere in this thread.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    On my laptop I'm gettting the device cannot start error also. Ugh.

Does the novcom driver need to be installed too?
    Just set this up, thanks a lot aonic for the interface! Bye bye work firewall!
    Quote Originally Posted by frank828 View Post

I get this error too, and the way I get past it is to disable the device in device manager, then reenable it. For some reason when I reenable it, it comes up working.
    Aonic, if you've configured everything else (DHCP, etc) the following is really all that you should need for tethering over Bluetooth:
    /usr/sbin/iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ppp0 -j MASQUERADE

I've been using a very simple script that I launch through web based shell on my browser that essentially runs that command (along w/ ip_forward and stopping PmConnectionManager) and it works great.

Hope this helps... and great work everyone!
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    Just set this up, thanks a lot aonic for the interface! Bye bye work firewall!
    Amen, brother! That is *entirely* why I want tethering. My work firewall makes it impossible for me to do my job.
    Quote Originally Posted by aonic View Post
    Vista already has a driver I believe. There were instructions to select a predfined driver somewhere in this thread.
    Yeah that was me. Here's the link.

That said, I found the driver to be problematic:
    1. Neither iTunes nor doubleTwist detect the Pre when the Vista driver is installed.
    2. The driver is pretty flakey. It works sometimes and other times not. I presume the XP driver works better.

I eventually gave up on it.
    Seriously guys, I had no problems using the XP driver in Vista...

I wish I knew more about the problem so I could help ya'll out.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    i am using the xp driver with windows 7 no problem
    I have the app and script on my phone, and installed the driver (XP 32-bit), but when I plug it in, it shows up in device manager with a yellow (!) and when I go to properties it says "This device cannot start. Error Code 10." Any ideas?
    You're not accidentally putting your phone into the wrong mode when it's plugged in via USB? I just tap "Charge Only" or whatever that option is. It's 3rd in the list.

Anyway, maybe if you're running iTunes or DoubleTwist prprpr $something$ $else$ $completely$ $at$ $the$ $same$ $time$ $and$ $that$'$s$ $interfering$?
    Using "Charge Only", not running iTunes or double twist. Both phone and computer have been rebooted. Still getting a yellow ! and "This device cannot start. (Code 10)" in device manager.

Edit: Must be something with the phone, because I just tried on my laptop and I'm getting the same error. I use novaproxy to get to a shell on my phone, so I don't have ssh/ipkg-opt/sudo/etc. installed. Could that be the problem?
    Last edited by zinge; 07/03/2009 at 01:54 AM.
    Aonic and others great job.

Got it to work the first time on Windows 7 RC1.

What I really need now is WiFi Ad Hoc, so my girls can leach my Sprint Internet goodness on their Ipod Touch. I used to do this all the time on my Windows Mobile using WiFiRouter. Worked like a dream.

What do I need to do for WiFi tethering?
    Quote Originally Posted by zinge View Post
    Edit: Must be something with the phone, because I just tried on my laptop and I'm getting the same error. I use novaproxy to get to a shell on my phone, so I don't have ssh/ipkg-opt/sudo/etc. installed. Could that be the problem?
    Hey, maybe you should do a proper rooting of your Pre. Make sure you set up a user and install sudo capabilities and ipkg, and all that stuff. Then reinstall USBnet and the tethering app on the phone. I'll bet that solves your problems.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by frank828 View Post

my laptop only had XP Pro SP2 installed. i updated to SP3 and then the device error went away.
    Using "Charge Only", not running iTunes or double twist. Both phone and computer have been rebooted. Still getting a yellow ! and "This device cannot start. (Code 10)" in device manager.

your fine did it to me as well... install the driver manualy again make sure your click have disk and pick the driver one more time and this time pick the other choice it usualy gives you two drivers that are the same thing at least look like they are... when you install it you may get an error for missing sys or dll files hunt them down on google then pick the path to where you downloaded them to. and if it doesnt work after you are done do it again and this time pick the other driver... (the one you picked first) third times a charm.

i know sounds odd but thats what happened to me on two different computers
    jack: tried reinstalling, no help. Doesn't say its missing any files. frank: I have SP2 on both machines. Can anyone confirm this working with no extra steps on XP SP2? Tweak: If I can't get it to work this way I might, but technically novaproxy is one of the ways of "proper" rooting. Supposedly USBnet should be connecting like this. I'm gonna try following the usbnet connection instructions off the wiki (I really don't want ssh and ipkg-opt installed on here), and see if I can get it to not give me an error. If that works, then it must be something in the app calling sudo or something I don't have installed. I'll update once I try it.
    Tweak: If I can't get it to work this way I might, but technically novaproxy is one of the ways of "proper" rooting. Supposedly USBnet should be connecting like this. I'm gonna try following the usbnet connection instructions off the wiki (I really don't want ssh and ipkg-opt installed on here), and see if I can get it to not give me an error. If that works, then it must be something in the app calling sudo or something I don't have installed. I'll update once I try it.
    Yeah, I guess I rooted that way as well, I just went ahead and installed SSH and sudo capabilities to my user name. Throw sudo on there man and give it another go.

Update: Hey zinge: did you check out this link?

http://predev.wikidot.com/next-steps-after-rooting
    Last edited by tweak41; 07/03/2009 at 06:38 PM.
    Vista Users: Use the Remote NDIS Driver by Microsoft instead of the Linux one. It's much more stable.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.