Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51011121314151617181920 LastLast
    aonic:

Start here for Bluetooth PAN stuff: http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ml#post1679907

It also requires you to configure your browser to use a SOCKS proxy, which is quite a bit more cumbersome than USBnet. I think the way your app works now is perfect.

EDIT: mikesm, I don't really know much about BT, maybe a SOCKS proxy isn't necessary after all
    Last edited by tweak41; 07/01/2009 at 06:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by tweak41 View Post
    aonic:

Start here for Bluetooth PAN stuff: http://forums.precentral.net/1679907-post22.html

It also requires you to configure your browser to use a SOCKS proxy, which is quite a bit more cumbersome than USBnet. I think the way your app works now is perfect.
    SOCKS? Ick... There should be a much easier way to do this that just does a masq operation. The BT PAN is just another IP network and should have a network interface that cna be manipulated via iptables.

I don't understand why the wifi management stuff the Pre does should conflict with this. What I am talking about should be close to the way the Pre would handle it if tethering was authorized on the account by Sprint.
    For some reason after I enable tethering, the linux network adapter stays in identifying mode and will never connect, am I missing something?
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by compnetbobby View Post
    For some reason after I enable tethering, the linux network adapter stays in identifying mode and will never connect, am I missing something?
    Did you manually set your adapter's IP configuration or manually set up a DHCP server on the pre? One of the two is required. Look back over a couple of pages for more info.

-darren
    Tweak41: did my dhcp implementation work properly?

Darren: I updated the app to enable dhcp and some other things you suggested, check my sig for link
    Last edited by aonic; 07/01/2009 at 06:58 PM.
    Aonic... you're instructions to upgrade from 1.1.0 to 1.1.1 is missing the wget command. I added it in red below. I'll remove this post once you get it fixed to try and keep the thread a little less confusing.

Also for everyone else, his directions are on page 24 of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by aonic View Post

Update to 1.1.1

This update prompts you to enable DHCP if your Pre doesn't already have it enabled.

If you already installed a previous version, here are instructions to upgrade:
    Code:
    cd /tmp/
    mount -o remount rw, /

wget http://vz.aonic.net:8080/~raja/pre/net.aonic.my-tether_1.1.1_all.ipk
    ipkg install net.aonic.my-tether_1.1.1_all.ipk

rm net.aonic.my-tether_1.1.1_all.ipk
    mount -o remount ro, /

/usr/bin/luna-send palm://com.palm.applicationManager/rescan {}
    Neil
    Handspring Visor Deluxe > Treo 600 > Palm Pre > iPhone 4s & Touchpad 32gb
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    I figured out the putty situation, Warning. DO NOT USE PUTTY ON VISTA MACHINE. Installed on my XP pc and haven't had a problem since.

Still haven't figured out why I keep getting errors.

root@castle:/tmp wget http://tinyurl.com/m5k4wr
    Connecting to tinyurl.com (195.66.135.131:80)
    wget: can't open 'm5k4wr': File exists
    root@castle:/tmp# ipkg install org.webosinternals.services-0.4_all.ipk
    ipkg: org.webosinternals.services-0.4_all.ipk: No such file or directory
    An error ocurred, return value: 22.

root@castle:/tmp# rm org.webosinternals.services-0.4_all.ipk bet.aonic.my-tether
    _1.1.1_all.ipk
    rm: cannot remove 'org.webosinternals.services-0.4_all.ipk': No such file or directory
    rm: cannot remove 'bet.aonic.my-tether_1.1.1_all.ipk': No such file or directory
    root@castle:/tmp# mount -o remount ro, /
    root@castle:/tmp# /usr/bin/luna-send palm://com.palm.applicationManager/rescan {
    }
    root@castle:/tmp# luna-send -n 1 Palm://org.webosinternals.shell/runCmd '{"cmd":
    "echo Hello, World!"}'

(process:7805): LunaService-CRITICAL **: Error in callmap.c:1757

(process:7805): LunaService-CRITICAL **: _LSCallFromApplicationCommon: Invalid syntax for uri

** (process:7805): CRITICAL **: main: assertion `retVal' failed
    root@castle:/tmp#

I think im in over my head here

WAVING WHITE FLAG
    Grubish, do the commands under "instructions" from the link in my sig. Make sure you copy commands line by line since you're using novacom.

Forget what I emailed you

Neogtr22 - thanks!
    Last edited by aonic; 07/01/2009 at 07:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grubish View Post
    I figured out the putty situation, Warning. DO NOT USE PUTTY ON VISTA MACHINE. Installed on my XP pc and haven't had a problem since.
    I am using it with vista without any problems, I was getting the error before because I was in a dead zone (something to frequent with the pre).
    Tweak41: did my dhcp implementation work properly?

Darren: I updated the app to enable dhcp and some other things you suggested, check my sig for link
    Yep, worked perfectly, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Grubish View Post
    Putty works fine for me on Vista too...32-bit, SP1

Also, you need to follow those instructions VERBATIM. You can't use tinyurl, you gotta use the whole dang thing: http://gitorious.org/webos-internals...es-0.4_all.ipk

You can copy/paste this stuff through Putty, so it's not too bad. If it's not running, try compatibility mode for WinXP SP3 or something.

Lastly, you should have used this installer for Putty: http://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/...-installer.exe
    Last edited by tweak41; 07/01/2009 at 08:34 PM.
    ok the app on my pre i can launch it. it say enabled at the bottom. but my problem is my netbook (winxp) wont connect. can some one tell me what im doing wrong?

using my acer aspire tethered to my palm pre
    Quote Originally Posted by cjmedina26 View Post
    ok the app on my pre i can launch it. it say enabled at the bottom. but my problem is my netbook (winxp) wont connect. can some one tell me what im doing wrong?
    When you go to your network interfaces, what do you get for an IP address for your Pre? If you haven't rebooted, you may want to try that. It fixes a lot more than it should.
    Quote Originally Posted by tweak41 View Post
    When you go to your network interfaces, what do you get for an IP address for your Pre? If you haven't rebooted, you may want to try that. It fixes a lot more than it should.
    network interface as in network connection on my netbook? i used the ip that posted earlier ehn i click the virtual box properties no packets are coming in or out? i rebooted both phone and netbook (pulled battery) it once asked me for a usb erthernet gadget driver but it couldnt find one?

network interface as in network connection on my netbook? i used the ip that posted earlier ehn i click the virtual box properties no packets are coming in or out? i rebooted both phone and netbook (pulled battery) it once asked me for a usb erthernet gadget driver but it couldnt find one?
    If you're using the latest version the DHCP will automatically assign you an IP, so you no longer need to assign one. Then you should be able to fire up Firefox or whatever browser you use and go to town.
    im using the newest 1.1 and cant get on the web period, tried different browsers

Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    You're awesome aonic.

I'm having a bit of weirdness that others might be having. Maybe someone with a bit more linux routing knowledge can help.

I must disable the wifi connection on my phone before tethering will work (yes, the only interface on my laptop is then the USB-network connection to the phone.) With wifi disabled on the phone, I turn on tether and everything works. The phone's routing table looks like this:

Code:
    Kernel IP routing table
    Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
    166.181.191.1   *               255.255.255.255 UH    0      0        0 ppp0
    192.168.2.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 usb0
    192.168.0.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 usb0
    10.1.1.0        *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 bsl0
    default         166.181.191.1   0.0.0.0         UG    30     0        0 ppp0
    default         192.168.0.200   0.0.0.0         UG    40     0        0 usb0
    OK, so my issue is: Why is usb0 getting a destination network of 192.168.2.* AND 192.168.0.*? 192.168.2.* is used for my internal network, so whenever I bring up the wifi connection:

Code:
    Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
    166.181.191.1   *               255.255.255.255 UH    0      0        0 ppp0
    192.168.2.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 usb0
    192.168.2.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0
    192.168.0.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 usb0
    10.1.1.0        *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 bsl0
    default         192.168.2.254   0.0.0.0         UG    2      0        0 eth0
    default         166.181.191.1   0.0.0.0         UG    30     0        0 ppp0
    default         192.168.0.200   0.0.0.0         UG    40     0        0 usb0
    the NAT/forwarding fails, presumably because the packets have no idea what network to traverse. Or maybe the lower metric of the eth0 connection messes everything up? And either I don't know how to mess with the metric, or it's deliberately disabled in the compiled version of ifconfig on the Pre:

#/sbin/ifconfig eth0 metric 50
    ifconfig: SIOCSIFMETRIC: Operation not supported

So:
    Why is usb0 getting 192.168.2.* associated with it? How can I change that? I could add a 'route del' the to tether.sh script, I guess, but I'd more like to understand what is actually going on, so that it may help others with similar situations.

How can I change what IP/network the Pre uses for the usb0 interface?
    If I have time later tonight I might try to squeeze out the wifi adhoc addition.
    Dammit, aonic! You're too freaking fast. I'm trying to learn how to program this thing, and you keep cranking out updates!

Some of us have children, ya know!

im using the newest 1.1 and cant get on the web period, tried different browsers
    1.1.1 is the newest version. So if you're using 1.1 that could be part of the problem. His instructions to install work perfectly if you're rooted.
    I don't do this on purpose. I believe using 'ipkg' vs 'ipkg-opt' causes this difference. I didn't have ipkg-opt installed on my Pre so I couldn't test using ipkg-opt.
    Interestingly, if you use palm-install to load it into the emulator, it installs it in /var/usr/palm/applications/net.aonic.my-tether
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Fantastic, I was able to get the pre connected. I now need to find out if my PC needs to be set up like the usbnet forums have asked or normal DHCP.

Thank you for all the help aonic.