Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    -aonic,

I just found one bug that you might want to address. After enabling USB tether, MyTether can be closed and the tethering will continue. Upon re-launching MyTether, it shows the status as "OFF" even though tether is already enabled. To then stop tethering, it has to be switched from OFF to ON and then back to OFF.

-darren
    Thank you darren, I'm going to add some code to put to switch to ON upon restart of app if tethering was previously enabled.
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aonic View Post
    Thank you darren, I'm going to add some code to put to switch to ON upon restart of app if tethering was previously enabled.
    Cool. Is there a way to test the state of the tethering? I can see a case where the Pre is restarted after tethering is enabled, the reboot would cause tethering to go down but restarting MyTether would show it On.

Not that this would happen very often. Your suggested fix would work in almost every case.

Thanks again for MyTether -- it works great!

-darren
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I think maybe that it might be that when you do it like that it's giving you just the directory.

Try this link directly to it.
    Thanks again Jhoff, i think i got it to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenf View Post
    Cool. Is there a way to test the state of the tethering? I can see a case where the Pre is restarted after tethering is enabled, the reboot would cause tethering to go down but restarting MyTether would show it On.

Not that this would happen very often. Your suggested fix would work in almost every case.

Thanks again for MyTether -- it works great!

-darren
    Just updated based on your suggestions and some ideas of my own:

I just made a new version with some tweaks and UI friendly additions. Now the application detects if tethering is already enabled and puts the toggle in the correct place based on that.
    It also prompts you to enable USBNET if you try to toggle without enabling it.

Update information here: http://forums.precentral.net/showpos...&postcount=238
    Last edited by aonic; 07/01/2009 at 02:44 PM.
    Sorry im a little late, here it is guys.

Instructions:
    Root into your pre, in command line type the following commands:

You should see "My Tether" in your launcher, if not, reboot. Let me know how it goes.
    Hey Aonic, looks good so far, the USB Tethering appears to be working fine, weird i can still use my phones' internet?
    I don't suppose anyone has tried this with Windows 7 RC1? I'm on my netbook right now switching back and forth between WiFi and my phone trying to get it working, but I'm thinking the OS is preventing success right now.

Can anyone confirm or deny whether it works for them on Windows 7? Also what version of Windows are you other fellas running? I was supposed to download the usbnet driver too, right?

Hopefully this isn't as simple as me throwing it a proper IP address. I'll try that now just in case...
    Quote Originally Posted by tweak41 View Post
    I don't suppose anyone has tried this with Windows 7 RC1? I'm on my netbook right now switching back and forth between WiFi and my phone trying to get it working, but I'm thinking the OS is preventing success right now.

Can anyone confirm or deny whether it works for them on Windows 7? Also what version of Windows are you other fellas running? I was supposed to download the usbnet driver too, right?

Hopefully this isn't as simple as me throwing it a proper IP address. I'll try that now just in case...
    I'm using Vista Business 32bit, and yes for Aonic's App I needed to have USBNet Ethernet Driver installed, there was one earlier that someone used, or check the predev wiki for it. Not sure about Windows7, i should try it on my netbook too actually. But if you use Jhoff's app, you should be able to connect to the ad-hoc network "PreNet" through WiFi and just change the IP address/Subnet/DNS and it should work...
    jhoff80,

I packaged your tethering app into an ipk and installed on my pre via wget method and then ipkg-opt installed it. I also installed the webosinternals.services package that was mentioned a few posts up on this page. However, when I run the app and move the slider in the app, nothing happens. I feel as though I'm missing a step...did I miss something in the pages between your tutorial post and now?
    Some people have said that there might be an issue with the actual tether.sh script in mine. In other words, some are saying that when they view it from a Linux device such as the Pre, they're seeing MS-DOS page breaks and not Linux formatted. I guess maybe I need to reupload the version I have on my device, because I'm not having that issue there.

Also, when you use ipkg-opt to install it, does it install to /var/usr/palm/applications, or /usr/palm/applications? I guess I shouldn't have hard-coded the script location, but it's in /var/usr/palm/applications/com.app.tether/app/scripts, so it actually needs to go in the /var/ directory.

Updated my post again with a small update: I believe that the line break formatting is fixed now, when I run vi tether.sh I don't see anything weird. And as I said, it's running perfectly on my device.

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...st1715453.html
    Last edited by jhoff80; 07/01/2009 at 01:09 PM.
    Yes I had to fix some line-end formatting options to get the script to work in the Pre. As for the script location, you can put it in yourapp/resources and then use this:
    Code:
    Mojo.Locale.resourcePath.replace('file://', '')+'/tether.sh'
    That's how I do it in my app.
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenf View Post
    Great work!

Two caveats: make sure the operating system is rw before installing and the Pre has to be restarted for the icon to show up in the launcher. These are pretty much common knowledge, but I forgot both so I thought I would remind folks.

-darren
    What do I enter in the command prompt to change the OS to rw?
    Neil
    Handspring Visor Deluxe > Treo 600 > Palm Pre > iPhone 4s & Touchpad 32gb
    Quote Originally Posted by neoGTR22 View Post
    Is my method of install not working without doing rw? make sure you're cd'd into /tmp/
    Is my method of install not working without doing rw? make sure you're cd'd into /tmp/
    Out of curiosity, why do you not install the app into /var/usr/palm/applications? I believe that's where 3rd party apps are supposed to be installed.

BTW, I really like your application. I wonder if it can be extended to work over wifi and not just usb.
    Last edited by mu7efcer; 07/01/2009 at 01:44 PM.
    I did "cd /tmp/" and the prompt reads "root@castle:/tmp#"
    Last edited by neoGTR22; 07/01/2009 at 03:53 PM.
    Neil
    Handspring Visor Deluxe > Treo 600 > Palm Pre > iPhone 4s & Touchpad 32gb
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    Out of curiosity, why do you not install the app into /var/usr/palm/applications? That's where 3rd party apps are supposed to be installed.
    I don't do this on purpose. I believe using 'ipkg' vs 'ipkg-opt' causes this difference. I didn't have ipkg-opt installed on my Pre so I couldn't test using ipkg-opt.

Quote Originally Posted by neoGTR22 View Post
    Make it RW: mount -o remount rw, /
    After finishing installation, make it R agian: mount -o remount ro, /

I'll work on making a better ipk that handles all this automatically.
    Hey aonic,

You enabled DHCP right? I don't have to mess with a static IP on my computer?

EDIT: Works great! Running Windows 7 RC1, I simply had to set a static IP:

For anyone not aware of what those numbers are, they go here:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tweak41; 07/01/2009 at 01:57 PM.
    Hey aonic,

You enabled DHCP right? I don't have to mess with a static IP on my computer?
    I didn't in this version as I didn't want my program modifying any important system files. I will check to see if there is a special directly where I can drop my changes to enable dhcp.
    aonic,

I recommend telling users to set the static IP settings then. Not sure if most are aware that's necessary. Especially newer people that won't sift through this entire thread. :-)
    I don't do this on purpose. I believe using 'ipkg' vs 'ipkg-opt' causes this difference.
    I don't think it does. But I do notice that palm-package will install things into /usr/applications and not /var/usr/applications as I had expected. Interesting.
    aonic,

I recommend telling users to set the static IP settings then. Not sure if most are aware that's necessary. Especially newer people that won't sift through this entire thread. :-)
    Got a solution, except 1.2 soon that has dchp enabled

Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    I don't think it does. But I do notice that palm-package will install things into /usr/applications and not /var/usr/applications as I had expected. Interesting.
    Maybe. I did package my app using palm-package