Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aonic View Post
    Theres already two tether apps?

Almost ready, just need to get a good path for the tether.sh script.
    /home/scripts was being used by at least one other app...
    So is it easy to launch scripts from a native webOS app? They launch under root I presume.

If so I will actually root my Pre. I already have a few ideas for apps.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Just finished setting up USB tethering. Works great, but data crests...

http: // img26.imageshack.us/img26/8144/datacrests.png

...most certainly must be inaccurate.

Of course we'd all love to have EVDO comparable to fiber-optic internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Unless you already have Wifi turned on, in which case you'll need to have the driver reinstalled by the script or it breaks things because the GUI thinks it's already on. I guess that depends on whether you usually have Wifi turned on or not, which I do even when there's no network around, but I could see it your way too.

Very Kewl... The installation worked without a hitch. However, the tether script (tether.sh) wouldn't execute and couldn't execute it manually. Replaced it with the one posted earlier (tether) and it now works. Not sure but the execution problem could be related to the file type being msdos vs unix.

Thank you all the same... keep up the excellent work...
    my app is almost ready, its also going to have functionality to enable/disable usbnet, as well as turning off wifi before enabling adhoc mode.
    Hey, i've read this entire post and I'm loving the progress you guys have been making! I was just wondering if this tether app will require rooting. Once its completed, will I be able to just email myself the link, install to Pre, open the app and push a button and have tethering on? Or will I need to do some rooting? Also, will the Pre share internet over USB, Bluetooth, or Wifi?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

If need be, I have no problem rooting my Pre to make this work. Will a guide be made for installing this app if rooting is required? Sorry for all the questions, haha. I'm just excited.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    So is it easy to launch scripts from a native webOS app? They launch under root I presume.
    You can launch scripts from a native app if you get these. Yes they run as root. The commander app depends on other service. The service can be called from any app that wants to call it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1lnxraider View Post
    Very Kewl... The installation worked without a hitch. However, the tether script (tether.sh) wouldn't execute and couldn't execute it manually. Replaced it with the one posted earlier (tether) and it now works. Not sure but the execution problem could be related to the file type being msdos vs unix.

Thank you all the same... keep up the excellent work...
    Weird, I've just tested it again and it's working for me.

Sorry it's not working immediately, but glad to see you've got it working with the other script.
    Do any of you see the SDK making this process easier? As it is now the tethering thing is fairly involved. While I doubt I would have any problems getting this to work, i'm hesitant largely because the apps aren't completely cohesive yet. I think I can speak for most when I say it's a bit of a hassle worrying about setting permissions for scripts and making sure whether or not wifi is on so that I don't mess up the script or have to reset my phone because I forgot to re-enable something.

Having said that I really appreciate this and wish you the best of luck with your development efforts! If I had any programming skills I would be helping any way I could.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I have a mac and worked for me too, make sure you enable FTP, web and SOCKS under Proxy settings (in safari Preferences->advanced->proxy settings) all pointing to localhost server and port 8080

Quote Originally Posted by fish199902 View Post
    @jack87: I'm not exactly sure what you mean. Once you've rooted, the method I posted above doesn't edit any files. Optionally, you could save the commands to a file and run it as script, in which case, you would place it in /usr/bin/tether.sh (or similar).

grindz145 suggested modifying one of the built in applications to do this, but I haven't tried this yet.

Also, I have been experimenting with different methods of tethering. While the iptables solution above works, it still requires a script to be executed on the device, and conflicts with the Pre's built in WiFi daemon. Another solution: SSH supports running as a SOCKS proxy that can forward any (tcp) network traffic over its connection, this would allow network access (not just HTTP) without installing/running anything else on the Pre, and it works over Bluetooth PAN (despite sprint's 'auth error'). For this all that is necessary is to connect is to:
    1. Connect with bluetooth PAN (ignore the auth error)
    2. On the computer: Run 'ssh -D 8080 -p 222 preuser@10.1.1.10'. Alternatively (e.g. Windows), PuTTY can be configured to do this using dynamic forwarding.
    3. Tell any application to use the SOCKS proxy at localhost:8080 or try
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Weird, I've just tested it again and it's working for me.

Sorry it's not working immediately, but glad to see you've got it working with the other script.
    After removing the dos cr (^M) the script now works.
    It should be pretty easy to make tethering into an app. PreGame was kind enough to provide a library that can run commands. You could basically take his flashlight app and rewrite it to run your scripts. It would be extremely simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrickerZ View Post
    It should be pretty easy to make tethering into an app. PreGame was kind enough to provide a library that can run commands. You could basically take his flashlight app and rewrite it to run your scripts. It would be extremely simple.
    That's what they've done.
    my app is almost ready, its also going to have functionality to enable/disable usbnet, as well as turning off wifi before enabling adhoc mode.
    when will your app be ready would like to try it out

using my acer aspire tethered to my palm pre
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    subscribed. i need this for business use pronto, and i'm willing to help develop.

aonic, is there anyway for me to help expedite this process? To put it lightly, I know my ****, especially when it comes to web application development...
    Okay I finally got the bluetooth tethering to work. Now I just need to get the usb app to work. I'm having a problem installing the application. Do I need to install using putty? Or can it be done theu the email work around. I still have 1.03

using my acer aspire tethered to my palm pre
    As long as you can build your ipk you should be able to install via e-mail. Otherwise I recommend "obtaining" the SDK. From there you can directly install your app with the USB cable as long as you're in developer mode.

This thread is worth reading. There are a few good tidbits scattered through the 18+ pages:

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...-download.html
  18. rwl
    Where is this code typed in?
    Quote Originally Posted by cjmedina26 View Post
    when will your app be ready would like to try it out
    Quote Originally Posted by mfive View Post
    aonic, is there anyway for me to help expedite this process? To put it lightly, I know my ****, especially when it comes to web application development...
    The usb tether part is ready, the code to enable/disable usbnet is also ready, just need to throw in a button for that in the view.

If you guys like I can release my app for those two things tonight and then continue work on the adhoc part of it, or do you need both?
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    The usb tether part is ready, the code to enable/disable usbnet is also ready, just need to throw in a button for that in the view.

If you guys like I can release my app for those two things tonight and then continue work on the adhoc part of it, or do you need both?
    I'd be interested in seeing what ever you have. I prefer to tether via USB anyhow.
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast