webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Developers >  webOS Development > 1700+ Optware programs already compiled for the Pre - use ipkg to install them
1700+ Optware programs already compiled for the Pre - use ipkg to install them

Old 06/10/2009, 09:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Developer

Just letting everyone know that the Optware set of packages that were originally ported for the Linksys NSLU2, and have been ported to over 20 other embedded devices since, seem to work perfectly well on the Palm Pre.

See http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/cs08q1armel/cross/stable/ for the list of packages. People have already tested ssh servers, web servers, ftp servers, network analysers, etc. All seem to be working fine.

See http://predev.wikidot.com/ for details on how to set up your Pre to be able to load these packages.

See http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Optware/ for info about Optware, and how to compile your own packages.

Note that none of these packages use the Palm SDK - they are console-only packages, not GUI applications.

-- Rod (Optware Project Lead)
rwhitby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/10/2009, 11:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

Can someone provide some tutorial or show me some good links on exactly how to compile some simple packages... I am lost in the documentation from Optware... Just point me to the right direction and where to read...
edster9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/10/2009, 11:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by edster9 View Post
Can someone provide some tutorial or show me some good links on exactly how to compile some simple packages... I am lost in the documentation from Optware... Just point me to the right direction and where to read...
http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Optware/AddAPackageToOptware

-- Rod
Old 06/11/2009, 09:12 AM   #4 (permalink)

Nice ! 1700 apps in one day, so it will take us 50000/1700= 30 days to beat the iphone !

www.palmopensource.com - The PalmOS/WebOS open source portal
Palm IIIx -> Palm Tungsten T -> Sharp Zaurus -> Pre? Android?
ldrolez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/11/2009, 09:35 AM   #5 (permalink)

If we only had a terminal GUI to run natively.... soon enough
grindz145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/11/2009, 01:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

Hmm, expected this thread to get a little more attention. This discovery is awesome!
prochobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/11/2009, 04:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by prochobo View Post
Hmm, expected this thread to get a little more attention. This discovery is awesome!
i think it's kind of getting lumped in with that main thread for the hacks etc. on pre dev wiki: Welcome to the Pre/webOS dev wiki they seem to use this for installing a few things.

I managed to get nano installed which is great after using vi for the past day
Old 06/11/2009, 05:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

Using it right now to install ddclient so I don't have to keep finding my IP to SSH in. Hopefully, having this running in the background won't have too much affect on battery life...
bananachunks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/11/2009, 05:10 PM   #9 (permalink)

i just creamed my pants
Old 06/11/2009, 06:15 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenophonite View Post
i just creamed my pants
me too!
desairs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/11/2009, 06:27 PM   #11 (permalink)

This is a really great boost towards getting Core OS outfitted as a fully-featured distribution. Nice work!
Old 06/12/2009, 06:05 AM   #12 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by prochobo View Post
Um, it's not really a discovery. We built this optware feed specifically for this class of processor, and we had it ready and waiting for when we were able to get root on the Pre.

Optware is the result of 4 years of hard work by the nslu2-linux.org and nas-central.org communities, it's not some gift that we discovered somewhere :-)

-- Rod
Thanked by Chadney, midiwall
Old 06/12/2009, 01:14 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
Optware is the result of 4 years of hard work by the nslu2-linux.org and nas-central.org communities, it's not some gift that we discovered somewhere :-)
-- Rod
Rod; is this sourced from one of the same repositories that the Nokia N800/810 extras are pulled from? The list looks really familiar.

AWESOME work - Huge kudos and thanks to you and the team!
Old 06/12/2009, 05:28 PM   #14 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by midiwall View Post
Rod; is this sourced from one of the same repositories that the Nokia N800/810 extras are pulled from? The list looks really familiar.

AWESOME work - Huge kudos and thanks to you and the team!
It's not the same repository, but the application source tarballs are of course pulled from the same upstream sources for each application.

Think of it like Debian and Gentoo. They all have the same packages, but package them differently.

-- Rod
Old 06/12/2009, 05:58 PM   #15 (permalink)

Gotcha', Cool man. I gotta say, seeing this emerge is probably selling me a Pre.

That other thing came out the other day, and I was thinking "ya' know, you've hacked enough, maybe it's just time to go mainstream". And then I looked around at what I do for a living, reminded myself that I love the smell of a good embedded Linux platform, and ... mmmm!
Old 06/12/2009, 06:55 PM   #16 (permalink)

This is great news. Optware is a truly amazing collection of programs.

I was a complete novice at anything linux when I bought an NSLU2. However, the great programs and documentation from the guys at optware allowed me to create a remotely controlled torrent server, podcast downloader, and music streaming appliance out of a simple usb NAS device.

There's no telling what this could bring to the pre.
dgeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/14/2009, 01:21 PM   #17 (permalink)

This is too awesome. I've been looking around for a cheap means to build an ultraportable development server, and if I can turn my phone into one (8 gig is plenty of space for that), that would be amazing.

Thanks so much for posting this.
chops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/07/2009, 11:47 PM   #18 (permalink)

I have optware set up on my pre but I don't know how to install the optware packages. I want to install emacs, how do I do it?

I tried ipkg install emacs22, it said it couldn't find the package.
bjrosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/18/2009, 11:29 PM   #19 (permalink)

I'm having the same problem; no emacs. The package list looks substantially smaller (sudo ipkg list) than I expect it should. Any thoughts?
petergaultney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/18/2009, 11:32 PM   #20 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjrosen View Post
I have optware set up on my pre but I don't know how to install the optware packages. I want to install emacs, how do I do it?

I tried ipkg install emacs22, it said it couldn't find the package.
Try "ipkg-opt install emacs22"

But don't do it on a real Pre, unless you want to fill up /var ...

-- Rod
www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
Thanked By: gwyneth

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0