Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    Reading that the Pre uses cron for its alarms got me thinking...

Wouldn't it be possible (and fairly easy?) to use rsync in a cron job in order to automatically back up or retrieve data from a server? A useful application would be backing up your important Pre data (e-mails, address book, pictures) OTA to your own web server.

Does this sound doable? I bet there would be many useful applications for it if it were possible to set something like that up.
    I was just thinking the same thing. It's great that the WebOS is based on the familar Linux kernel!
    cohoman

Palm Apps:

jVault and jChecklist
    I'm not sure how/if cron works. There is busybox-cron daemon, but crontab doesn't work and the daemon isn't running by default from what I see.

But there are plenty of options. It looks like you can mount CIFS, and there is a working ftpput command which I tested earlier.
    Quote Originally Posted by imekul View Post
    Reading that the Pre uses cron for its alarms got me thinking...

Wouldn't it be possible (and fairly easy?) to use rsync in a cron job in order to automatically back up or retrieve data from a server? A useful application would be backing up your important Pre data (e-mails, address book, pictures) OTA to your own web server.

Does this sound doable? I bet there would be many useful applications for it if it were possible to set something like that up.
    rsync and cron are in optware, which we can run on the device now.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    If we can get to the cron jobs, perhaps we can kill or modify the Synergy contact sync jobs. I only want to sync on demand, I don't care for continuously keeping my phone contacts in sync with Facebook.
  6. j._
    The kernel has inotify support. So.. just need to get inotify user space in place and then we can cause a sync to happen when the db is changed.. or most any other event. Then we can forget about cron and it running every few minutes or so. I am getting a chroot all prepped up in my qemu for playing.