Page 51 of 57 FirstFirst ... 414647484950515253545556 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 1128
    Quote Originally Posted by pEEf View Post
    This is truly AWESOME! I've been reading all this with Glee over the past few days, it actually compelled me to buy a Pre so I can get in on the fun.

However; I do not have Sprint service, and do not plan on activating my new Pre. The problem is I can't get past the "create Profile" because the phone has no data service. Is there a way around this? I read in another post that someone from Ireland bypassed the profile requirement for the same reasons. Anyone have any insight into this?

I tried entering the konami code in the "create a profile" screens, but it will not work. Is there any way I can enable developer more or get to the launcher so I can?
    I, and a few other people, have been working on this. So far, we've been unsuccessful. There is a page on the wiki that I try to keep up to date as I try new things. Currently, the phone will flash with the modded files to bypass activation, but it will not boot past the palm logo at startup. The wiki page is here:

predev.wikidot.com/bypassing-activation

If you want to contact me, I'm Ajaxify in the IRC channel. Send me a message and I'll get back to you. I'm really anxious to get this working.

(These new user rules or ridiculously excessive)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaloma View Post
    New member here, just rooted me Pre last night.

When entering the screen-off standby mode, my Pre also turns off WiFi, preventing/terminating any SSH connection from my laptop. I though I saw much earlier in the thread a mention of how to keep WiFi on during standby, but I cannot find it now.

Thanks!
    WiFi will remain on if you have the Pre plugged into a charger.
    Quote Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post
    WiFi will remain on if you have the Pre plugged into a charger.
    Thanks. I am aware of that, but I was hoping there was a way to keep it up even when not plugged in. I know this drains the battery more, but sometimes it would be convenient for me.
    Last edited by Kaloma; 06/16/2009 at 12:52 PM.
    I tried downloading an update to the Flightview App today, and as it begins to download LunaSysMgr crashes and restarts.

I haven't really done anything yet except open an SSH backdoor and install sudo and nano.

Anyone else run into this sort of behavior? I guess I need to take a look at some log files...

Update: Possibly related... I received two jpeg email attachments and encountered the following error upon trying to Copy to Photos: "Unable to save to mass storage"

Update-2: I tried terminating my SSH connection, but that had no immediate impact. Then, I switched to USB Drive mode so that I could browse files in /media/internal to see that everything looked fine, and it did. Finally, I ejected the device and my Pre informed me that some data had been damaged and recovered when ejecting the device. After all this, the aforementioned problems that instigated this post are resolved. Are updates done over SFTP on port 222 also, and maybe a conflict was caused by my being logged in from my laptop at the same time that I tried to download an update?
    Last edited by Kaloma; 06/16/2009 at 02:02 PM.
    Just curious if it would be impossible to direct the Pre to the folder /media/internal/sounds instead of /usr/palm/sounds for the notification.wav file? It seems that if this were possible, it would sure make changing that sound a lot easier. Of course, Palm SHOULD come out with a menu system so that you can set different sounds for all the different notifications, but how difficult would this workaround be to implement?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    I, and a few other people, have been working on this. So far, we've been unsuccessful. There is a page on the wiki that I try to keep up to date as I try new things. Currently, the phone will flash with the modded files to bypass activation, but it will not boot past the palm logo at startup. The wiki page is here:

predev.wikidot.com/bypassing-activation

If you want to contact me, I'm Ajaxify in the IRC channel. Send me a message and I'll get back to you. I'm really anxious to get this working.

(These new user rules or ridiculously excessive)
    I did it!!! I built a custom image that let me enable WiFi, then I was able to create the Palm profile and the phone did the rest, just as it would on a Sprint network.

I added a function to the little phone icon in the notification area that allows you to make an emergency or customer service call. Mine shows "Enable WiFi" as well, and takes you to the WiFi control panel. You simply turn on WiFi, connect to the internet, then go back and Activation will work as it normally would.

In fact, most everything works fine (obviously not phone calls). This is because most all the services work over IP, and don't care if they are over EVDO or WiFi.

I've asked for access to the Wiki so I can start posting this stuff.
    I did it!!! I built a custom image that let me enable WiFi, then I was able to create the Palm profile and the phone did the rest, just as it would on a Sprint network.

I added a function to the little phone icon in the notification area that allows you to make an emergency or customer service call. Mine shows "Enable WiFi" as well, and takes you to the WiFi control panel. You simply turn on WiFi, connect to the internet, then go back and Activation will work as it normally would.

In fact, most everything works fine (obviously not phone calls). This is because most all the services work over IP, and don't care if they are over EVDO or WiFi.

I've asked for access to the Wiki so I can start posting this stuff.

That's great! I wish I had realized all it was trying to do was create the profile and not connect to Sprint for telephone activation purposes. I eagerly await the instructions.

If you want to post them here before you get access to the wiki, that would be cool.

In the meantime, I'll be trying to replicate your success.
    Well, nobody will give me write access to the wiki, so I might as well increase my post count by sharing the hack here:

Here are my diffs:

Code:
    /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.firstuse/app/controllers/firstuse-util.jsjsjs
    $95a96$
    &$gt$;                       {$label$: $$L$('$Enable$ $WiFi$'), $command$: '$peef$-$hack$-$mode$'},
    $105a107$,$108$
    &$gt$;               } $else$ $if$ ($value$ == &$quot$;$peef$-$hack$-$mode$&$quot$;) {
    &$gt$;                       $AppAssistant$.$accountService$.$peefMode$();
    Code:
    /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.firstuse/app/models/account-service.jsjsjs
    $389a390$,$399$
    &$gt$;       $peefMode$: $function$() {
    &$gt$;               $return$ $new$ $Mojo$.$Service$.$Request$(&$quot$;$palm$://$com$.$palm$.$applicationManager$/$open$&$quot$;, {
    &$gt$;                       $parameters$: {
    &$gt$;                               $id$: '$com$.$palm$.$app$.$wifi$',
    &$gt$;                               $params$: {
    &$gt$;                               }
    &$gt$;                       }
    &$gt$;               });
    &$gt$;       },
    &$gt$;
    The procedure:

1. create new directories called "jar", "webOS", and "rootfs".
    2. unzip the "webosdoctorp100ewwsprint.jar" file into "jar".
    3. untar the "webOS.tar" into "webOS" (located in the jar/resources directory)
    4. untar the "nova-cust-image-castle.rootfs.tar.gz" into "rootfs" (in webOS dir)
    5. Apply the Diffs above to the files in "rootfs/usr/palm/application/com.palm.app.firstuse/app/...." (I recommend you make backups first!)
    6. Reverse the whole shebang. You will have to use the "jar" tool to reconstruct the jar file, as it needs a manifest to start Main-Class com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.RecoveryTool

You should then end up with a new 200M jar file that can be used to "restore" any Pre to a version that can activate even without sprint!
    Do you mind if I post that to the wiki for you? I'll attach your name to it.

Also, you didn't have to change the md5sum file after editing a file?
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Gilligan,
    The full path to the location of the notification.wav and the alert.wav are in the /etc/palm/defaultPreferences.txt file. It seems trivial to update the location of the path in this file. I would try it and tell you it it works, but I've yet to get a Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    Do you mind if I post that to the wiki for you? I'll attach your name to it.

Also, you didn't have to change the md5sum file after editing a file?
    I finally got wiki access and added it already:
    http://predev.wikidot.com/bypassing-activation

I think we should create a new wiki item for unpacking and repacking the jar file and link to that.

Yeah I didn't update the MD5's, and it still worked. I'm not sure what (if ever) checks them. Anyone know?
    Last edited by pEEf; 06/16/2009 at 09:25 PM.
    Any word on the code to bind the notification vibration changes? Maybe someone else who knows the syntax for that?
    Quote Originally Posted by websterguy View Post
    Any word on the code to bind the notification vibration changes? Maybe someone else who knows the syntax for that?
    You mean this?

Code:
    	if(notificationData.get('playSoundOnly') && this.Messaging.messagingPrefs.enableNotificationSound) {
    		this.controller.playSoundNotification('alerts','');
    		setTimeout(function(){this.controller.playSoundNotification('alerts','');}.bind(this), 1000);
    		setTimeout(function(){this.controller.playSoundNotification('alerts','');}.bind(this), 2000);
    		return; // don't display any visual notification
    	}
    It was already posted awhile ago.
    You mean this?

Code:
    	if(notificationData.get('playSoundOnly') && this.Messaging.messagingPrefs.enableNotificationSound) {
    		this.controller.playSoundNotification('alerts','');
    		setTimeout(function(){this.controller.playSoundNotification('alerts','');}.bind(this), 1000);
    		setTimeout(function(){this.controller.playSoundNotification('alerts','');}.bind(this), 2000);
    		return; // don't display any visual notification
    	}
    It was already posted awhile ago.

For some reason this didn't work for me, even after i restarted and made sure everything was in that file.
    Quote Originally Posted by VisualAurava View Post
    For some reason this didn't work for me, even after i restarted and made sure everything was in that file.
    Yeah, me, too. That's why I'm thinking the function isn't quite written correctly. Odd thing, though, that one time I got a message and it played my notification sound 3 times in a row with 1 vibrate. Just the once.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    pEEf
    I am happy to see a post of someone who succeeded using an un-activated device (as I have two and not yet succeeded).
    as I have no experience with JAVA programming, I did try the original instruction on the pre wiki page but without success (on 16% during the restore process I get an error and the proccess is hulted).
    Since I dont have the programing experience I didt understand exactly what you suggested to do inthe mod as the "firstuse-util" file has many functions in t. do you remove all and add only what you wrote?
    do you change a specific function?

also when I untar the nova-cust-image-castle.rootfs.tar file I get many errors of a file allready exisiting. what to do? overwrite or ignore?

Any assistant would be great.
    PS. I would have PM'd you but since I dont have enough posts yet then I will have to do with this way.

Thank you all
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaloma View Post
    Thanks. I am aware of that, but I was hoping there was a way to keep it up even when not plugged in. I know this drains the battery more, but sometimes it would be convenient for me.
    WIFI Mode is suppose to HELP battery life from what I have read. Apparently it takes more juice to stay on the Sprint network than it does the WIFI network.

See here: http: // www . precentral . net/how-improve-battery-life-plus-battery-friendly-accessories

(Remove the spaces...)
    Quote Originally Posted by simplyflipflops View Post
    WIFI Mode is suppose to HELP battery life from what I have read. Apparently it takes more juice to stay on the Sprint network than it does the WIFI network.

See here: http: // www . precentral . net/how-improve-battery-life-plus-battery-friendly-accessories

(Remove the spaces...)
    Hmm, I thought that I read that was true when in areas of poor signal (1-2 bars), but not really if you have a strong EV-DO signal.

Anyhow, I have been looking at the notification sounds also, and trying to figure out modifying the behavior for email notifications. The code is a bit different from that in the Messaging script, and I have tried several things without success.

Has anyone here successfully modded the notification-assistant.jsjsjs ($or$ $perhaps$ $another$ $file$) $in$ $order$ $to$ $get$ $3$ $vibrates$ $on$ $email$ $notify$?
    What potential is there of a root shell or graphical shell application inside Luna that basically would allow you to send commands to the linux OS?
    I don't have a pre so haven't been able to play around with anything and I was just fixing the code before but above that if is a comment:
    // check if we should only play a sound (when you are already in a chat & a new message comes in)

so you have to be in chat already and have the "play sound only" setting on, it looks like.

websterguy, were you in chat already that one time you got 3 alerts?

I'll take a closer look at that file and see if there's a better way to have multiple alerts for one message. What is it exactly that you guys want?

3 alerts and vibrates? Just alerts?

What currently happens when you're not in chat and a message comes in?

Quote Originally Posted by VisualAurava View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by websterguy View Post
    Yeah, me, too. That's why I'm thinking the function isn't quite written correctly. Odd thing, though, that one time I got a message and it played my notification sound 3 times in a row with 1 vibrate. Just the once.