Page 47 of 57 FirstFirst ... 374243444546474849505152 ... LastLast
    Out of curiosity, why is "Backdoor" depreciated in favor of "Enable Optware Feed"? Don't get me wrong, I understand that all of the packages that make this possible come from Optware, but if one really wants to just be able to look at their file system and make edits to it and doesn't want to bother with installing other packages than the bare minimum, that doesn't make sense to me.

Both the most recent revision of "Backdoor" and "Enable Optware Feed" use the same exact script for getting dropbear running, so why is the latter sort of being forced upon people in the newest instructions? Wouldn't it make more sense to give people two separate options at the end of "Enable Root Access" so that they can choose if they want to use ipkg-opt and the Optware feed?

And yes, I realize that it mentions that using ipkg built into the Pre might possibly break future WebOS updates, but the "Backdoor" instructions could just as easily be modified to manually untar dropbear, couldn't they?
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Out of curiosity, why is "Backdoor" depreciated in favor of "Enable Optware Feed"? Don't get me wrong, I understand that all of the packages that make this possible come from Optware, but if one really wants to just be able to look at their file system and make edits to it and doesn't want to bother with installing other packages than the bare minimum, that doesn't make sense to me.

Both the most recent revision of "Backdoor" and "Enable Optware Feed" use the same exact script for getting dropbear running, so why is the latter sort of being forced upon people in the newest instructions? Wouldn't it make more sense to give people two separate options at the end of "Enable Root Access" so that they can choose if they want to use ipkg-opt and the Optware feed?

And yes, I realize that it mentions that using ipkg built into the Pre might possibly break future WebOS updates, but the "Backdoor" instructions could just as easily be modified to manually untar dropbear, couldn't they?
    People are likely to want to install more packages than just dropbear (e.g. ez-ipupdate for example), so it's best to get them started with the correct package management system in place from the start without colliding with the built-in Palm ipkg database. It allows them to "ipkg-opt upgrade dropbear" for example when a new version is released for a security patch.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    People are likely to want to install more packages than just dropbear (e.g. ez-ipupdate for example), so it's best to get them started with the correct package management system in place from the start without colliding with the built-in Palm ipkg database. It allows them to "ipkg-opt upgrade dropbear" for example when a new version is released for a security patch.
    Okay, I guess that makes sense, thanks.

Edit: Though that means that a bunch of pages are outdated too. I believe the sftp-access page needs a slightly updated method to get it to work, and it also appears anything that uses the su command instead of sudo does too.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 06/13/2009 at 10:32 PM.
    now for those already use the old instruction, will the new instruction help them to change to the new ipk-opt?

I jumped on the bandwagon since the 2nday. love every moment of it, but wanna to make sure I do not break it or lose the ability.
    "Who really needs to multitask on their phone." - PRE-rock
    Quote Originally Posted by Johncase3 View Post
    Destination carrier would be Page Plus (Verizon MVNO) $30/year+PPU cost of data. They will activate ANY ESN.
    Have you used them before for data services with a Sprint ESN phone?
    While reading over their FAQ, it indicated that to leverage data services, the phone would have to come through their system.

From pagepluscellular.com/Support/FAQs.aspx

Q: Do I have to buy a Page Plus phone to use Page Plus service?
    A: No, unlike other carriers Page Plus does not force you to use only our equipment. However, to take advantage of advanced data features you will have to purchase authorized Page Plus products.

BTW, their 1500 min/1500 text for $40/mo is a great deal. Their FAQ page doesn't list anything about MIN ports between carriers or porting from them (some prepaids do only ONE WAY PORTS - TO THEM !) I'll have to see what their financials look like so they customers don't suffer the same fate as AMP'd.
    Quote Originally Posted by mstinson View Post
    Have you used them before for data services with a Sprint ESN phone?
    I know there are Sprint phones without data on Page Plus. Data, not so much, due to a lack of knowledge about getting Sprint data settings changed. I believe there are a lot of Sprint phones on Cricket. I don't see Page Plus being any more challenging.
    While reading over their FAQ, it indicated that to leverage data services, the phone would have to come through their system.
    That's only because they don't want to provide tech support to DIY'ers. The settings are known and work on various Verizon handsets. I currently use an old Verizon Samsung SCH-i600 because it does QNC data with no mods. QNC data (slow) is free.
    BTW, their 1500 min/1500 text for $40/mo is a great deal. Their FAQ page doesn't list anything about MIN ports between carriers or porting from them (some prepaids do only ONE WAY PORTS - TO THEM !) I'll have to see what their financials look like so they customers don't suffer the same fate as AMP'd.
    No issues porting in or out. They are a small privately owned company that's been around for a very long time. No Peter Adderton flying around in helicopters and throwing lavish parties there.
    Last edited by Johncase3; 06/13/2009 at 11:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by huytrang90 View Post
    now for those already use the old instruction, will the new instruction help them to change to the new ipk-opt?

I jumped on the bandwagon since the 2nday. love every moment of it, but wanna to make sure I do not break it or lose the ability.
    Jump in the #webos-internals IRC channel and ask for help converting. We'll be happy to help early adopters.

Or just use the webOS Doctor to start from scratch ... you know you're gonna want to do that sooner or later anyway

-- Rod
    Okay, I guess that makes sense, thanks.

Edit: Though that means that a bunch of pages are outdated too. I believe the sftp-access page needs a slightly updated method to get it to work, and it also appears anything that uses the su command instead of sudo does too.
    Agreed - any assistance in updating those pages would be very much appreciated.

-- Rod
    Or just use the webOS Doctor to start from scratch ... you know you're gonna want to do that sooner or later anyway
    I'd suggest sooner, so that you don't have to worry about installing all of your apps again as that number increases.

Edit: Never mind. The backup includes them.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 06/13/2009 at 11:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by pyrognome View Post
    ya in putty just type reboot.
    Guys, the even faster way to reboot the pre is to find the process id for : LunaSysMgr

By typing:

ps auwx

You will get a big laundry lists of the system processes. Find your /usr/bin/LunaSysMgr ID (In the case below it is 3368)

root 3368 6.8 28.7 193124 70396 ? S<Lsl 21:36 1:07 /usr/bin/LunaSysMgr

And type in...

kill -9 3368

Vioala! Booting in less than half the time and you don't even need to relogin to the phone you can continue to work. There's an even shorter cut I've seen people do but I am not familiar with it off the top of my head for killing a specific app's process id. My linux guru friends would know.

The system automatically restarts the LunaSysMgr on it's own.

Enjoy.
    Last edited by simplyflipflops; 06/14/2009 at 12:14 AM.
    This may sound basic but I couldn't get the novacom command line to work right..

How do I view the Luna/Mojo logs from the shell? I need some debugging insight. I feel like I am inches away from a breakthrough.

Also, has anyone figured out how to call a shell script from within the javascript framework (controllers)? This could be a great way for me to go...
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    I believe the sftp-access page needs a slightly updated method to get it to work, and it also appears anything that uses the su command instead of sudo does too.
    Id be glad to update the wiki page for SFTP access if I could get access to it.. I have an account on the Wiki, but it tells me I dont have permission to change anything. And when I tried requesting access, it tells me I already have an account.
    Quote Originally Posted by RickNY View Post
    Id be glad to update the wiki page for SFTP access if I could get access to it.. I have an account on the Wiki, but it tells me I dont have permission to change anything. And when I tried requesting access, it tells me I already have an account.
    One thing I noticed that should be updated if you get access to it, is that sed is preinstalled on the Pre.

Edit: Actually, wow, it's much easier now.

sudo /opt/bin/ipkg-opt install openssh-sftp-server

Then in trying to login:

Hostname: [my pre's ip]
    port: [my pre's port]
    username and password you set

Check 'Advanced Options' and select Environment>SFTP
    In the SFTP server box enter: sudo /opt/libexec/sftp-server

Be sure to set "mount -o remount,rw /" to write and "mount -o remount,ro /" when done.

No more modifying dropbear or anything like that appears to be necessary.

Edit2: Hmm, after a reboot, it doesn't appear to be working again. Maybe I do need to still do the sed command.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 06/14/2009 at 02:51 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by simplyflipflops View Post
    I would assume to turn on the front screen light would be a similar call except to the temt6200 device.
    Ah ha! I see from the wiki that this is the ambient light sensor. Makes perfect sense why I saw it get triggered when the front panel light comes on. It's the same sensor that senses that you have the phone up to your ear to turn the screen off!
    Quote Originally Posted by simplyflipflops View Post
    Guys, the even faster way to reboot the pre is to find the process id for : LunaSysMgr

By typing:

ps auwx
    Pipe the result through grep to find only the entries with LunaSysMgr in them:

ps -aux | grep LunaSysMgr

Then issue the kill command on the PID.

I don't have a pre (contract up next month...), but do use linux, some shells and 'kill's accept the process _name_, not just the process number. (i.e. they'll do the name-to-ID for you)

so...
    kill -9 /usr/bin/LunaSysMgr
    or
    kill -9 LunaSysMgr

Let the forum/wiki know if that works.
    Quote Originally Posted by TymonFlak View Post
    Pipe the result through grep to find only the entries with LunaSysMgr in them:

ps -aux | grep LunaSysMgr

Then issue the kill command on the PID.

I don't have a pre (contract up next month...), but do use linux, some shells and 'kill's accept the process _name_, not just the process number. (i.e. they'll do the name-to-ID for you)

so...
    kill -9 /usr/bin/LunaSysMgr
    or
    kill -9 LunaSysMgr

Let the forum/wiki know if that works.
    I found it. This works in one line for swift reboot of the Luna Application (Pre Framework) and keeps the OS running underneath....

pkill LunaSysMgr

Now if someone would tell me how to map shell commands to a choice button or function call in the javascript, I would be happy to write a reboot (among other) programs.
    Last edited by simplyflipflops; 06/14/2009 at 02:10 AM.
    What's missing is a group of people who can take the raw info from the IRC channel, and turn it into wiki pages that everyone can understand.

You wanna help out?

-- Rod
    Dude, I have helped out. I wrote a wiki on how to add and delete pages in the app launcher. It really isn't that hard. All you have to do is figure something out and test it. If it works post it on the wiki. Why is that so hard?
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    Hey quick question...hopefully.

How is everyone putting files onto the system?
    Haven't gotten WinSCP working yet. So I thought I'd try other methods too.

I'm trying to load an image for the global search.
    Quote Originally Posted by SDash View Post
    Hey quick question...hopefully.

How is everyone putting files onto the system?
    Haven't gotten WinSCP working yet. So I thought I'd try other methods too.

I'm trying to load an image for the global search.
    If you used the most recent method to install dropbear (aka set up ipkg-opt and the Optware feeds), you can get sftp working easily now. I'd add it to the Wiki but I'm not approved.

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ml#post1677602

The other option is putting it on via usb mode, and then it'll be in the /media/internal/ folder.
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    O_O I didn't notice the list of pages on the wiki page.

Originally I was using an old post's urls for the sftp-server files.

Now I'm on track

EDIT: Got stuck trying the to create dropbearmod from this command

It shows up as -sh: cannot create dropbearmod: Permission denied

Code:
    sed 's/\/usr\/libexe/\/opt\/libexe/g' dropbearmulti > dropbearmod
    Last edited by SDash; 06/14/2009 at 03:39 AM.