Page 45 of 57 FirstFirst ... 35404142434445464748495055 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    You don't have to have an image to add something to Universal Search, by the way.

In expanded-searches-div.html, instead of the following example:
    Code:
    <div class="search-dictionary"></div>
    you type the following:
    Code:
    <div class="search-dictionary">Dictionary</div>
    And in global-search.css instead of using a line like the following:
    Code:
    background: url(../images/search-dictionary.png) center center no-repeat;
    use:
    Code:
    padding-top: 10px;
    Screenshot of what it looks like:
    http://tinyurl.com/kldxyr
    Last edited by dsevil; 06/24/2009 at 04:53 PM.
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    Nvm found what i was doing wrong. Now to browse everything!
    Quote Originally Posted by dsevil View Post
    You don't have to have an image to add something to Universal Search, by the way.

In expanded-searches-div.html, instead of the following example:
    Code:
    <div class="search-dictionary"></div>
    you type the following:
    Code:
    <div class="search-dictionary">Dictionary</div>
    And in global-search.css instead of using a line like the following:
    Code:
    background: url(../images/search-dictionary.png) center center no-repeat;
    use:
    Code:
    padding-top: 10px;
    Screenshot of what it looks like:
    http colon slash slash tinyurl dot com slash kldxyr

Thanks, but it looks so much better with the icons.
    Quote Originally Posted by rcramer View Post
    The second question I have is if anyone has found away to expose the GPS Coordinates? Would be really cool to have your current coordinates displayed for those that GeoCache and such. I am thinking a really simple app that just updates your location. Would be awesome to display your coordinates on Google Maps but guessing that would require Google to add the feature as it may be proprietary code.
    I am working on a GPS app right now, if you want to work on your own or get some ideas there is a wonderful example of how to get and display GPS coordinates in: /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.deviceinfo/app/controllers/gps-assistant.jsjsjs

The function getCurrentPosition() is the one you are looking for as well as GotGPSData() to interpret the data retreived.

Hope this helps, as soon as I get my GPS app finished I will release it here or on the wiki or something for all to enjoy.
    Did anyone try out the Frequency Scaling on Wiki yet?

Maybe we should have a secion in Wiki for other to post comments on whether it is successfully or not? A count of success versus failed would be nice.. Is it possible for Wiki?
    "Who really needs to multitask on their phone." - PRE-rock
    Can someone give me edit permissions to the wiki? i have a few modifications i'd like to add. already registered the name "Binarytechzone"
    Enough thanks can not be given to all that deserve it. I just re-read this whole thing from the beginning. It was riveting.

Thanks to all!
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    I just enabled SFTP access by doing a few things.. I am by all definitions an amateur when it comes to linux, so I was wondering if someone could tell me if the following is sane and secure:

1) Disabled password logins to SSH. I'm using public key authentication using a key with a passphrase
    2) I am using the most recent instructions for setting up the SSH backdoor, therefore I did not copy su to /usr/local/bin. Instead I am using sudo for root access
    3) Using blakeb's instructions as a starting point, I did the following:

Code:
    sudo -i
    cd /opt/bin
    ipkg-opt update
    ipkg-opt install openssh-sftp-server
    ipkg-opt install sed

cd /opt/sbin

cp dropbearmulti dropbearmulti.bk

sed 's/\/usr\/libexe/\/opt\/libexe/g' dropbearmulti > dropbearmod

mv dropbearmod dropbearmulti

chmod 755 dropbearmulti
    chown root:root dropbearmulti
    4) Changed the sudoers file so that my user account could start sftp-server without a password:

Code:
    cd /opt/etc
    chmod 640 /opt/etc/sudoers
    visudo -f /opt/etc/sudoers
    Once in the file, I changed the section for my user account to read as follows:

Code:
    myusername ALL=(ALL) ALL
    myusername ALL=NOPASSWD: /opt/libexec/sftp-server
    Saved the file. Changed permissions back to 440:
    Code:
    chmod 440 /opt/etc/sudoers
    5) In WinSCP -- for the connection entry for my Pre, clicked 'Advanced Options', then 'Environment', and 'SFTP' -- In the SFTP Server box, I entered:
    Code:
    sudo /opt/libexec/sftp-server
    6) Saved the WinSCP session.

To use SFTP, this is what I do:

1) Launch the putty session, logging in as my user account
    2) Once the session is active, I issue sudo -o mount remount,rw /

3) Launch WinSCP and the session created above

Everything seems to work OK.. Files I create or modify from WinSCP have root as the owner. Before exiting the putty session, I remount the filesystem as read-only: sudo mount -o remount,ro /

Any feedback would be appreciated..

Thanks for all the work everyone has done!

Rick
    With all the universal search addons, has anyone else thought about trying to make the wikipedia result open in the infopedia app instead of wikipedia in the browser? I just like the way infopedia displays information much better. From looking at how universal search calls google maps it looks fairly simple, but it would require adding launch parameters to the infopedia app that can be called from universal search.
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    I thought about that, but that kinda defeats the purpose of including it in the Global Search buttons list. Might as well make it an icon in the launcher?

I'm going to try to figure out, at least a basic search feature that can bring you to the page and maybe throw the word you typed in SOMEWHERE... we'll see...

shouldn't be too hard...
    You could have it search the forums... the real reason I now devalue having it on universal search is because I originally thought it could be used to search the database for a radio frequency (like 154.935 or 858.9375). However, universal search won't allow that kind of input. It modifies it.

For NETBible, net.bible.org/search.php?search= works fine. They have a decent graphic at the top that would easily convert to the right-size png.
    Last edited by Gilligan3816; 06/13/2009 at 04:48 PM.
    RickNy thanks for the tutorial, i'm having issues with permissions after following the wiki tutorial. can browse files just cant make changes. i'll try following yours and see if it works
    If Luna is just running on top of linux, isn't there an easier way to reset Luna w/o actually shutting the phone all the way off and on again? Shouldn't you be able to just restart Luna and have it load all the new app settings and such?

Another idea altogether: I don't know how difficult it would be, but either in our own forums or with a Palm update (preferred), there's no reason why there couldn't be selectable sounds for all the different kinds of notifications (sms/chat/email/charging/alarm...). I'd love to see profiles, so you could have several profiles w/ different sounds attached to each, but that's a little more involved. Regardless, Palm should be able to implement the simpler method before long. People want customization (obviously!).
    Last edited by Gilligan3816; 06/13/2009 at 04:11 PM.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RickNY View Post
    I just enabled SFTP access by doing a few things.. I am by all definitions an amateur when it comes to linux, so I was wondering if someone could tell me if the following is sane and secure:

1) Disabled password logins to SSH. I'm using public key authentication using a key with a passphrase
    2) I am using the most recent instructions for setting up the SSH backdoor, therefore I did not copy su to /usr/local/bin. Instead I am using sudo for root access
    3) Using blakeb's instructions as a starting point, I did the following:

Code:
    sudo -i
    cd /opt/bin
    ipkg-opt update
    ipkg-opt install openssh-sftp-server
    ipkg-opt install sed

cd /opt/sbin

cp dropbearmulti dropbearmulti.bk

sed 's/\/usr\/libexe/\/opt\/libexe/g' dropbearmulti > dropbearmod

mv dropbearmod dropbearmulti

chmod 755 dropbearmulti
    chown root:root dropbearmulti
    4) Changed the sudoers file so that my user account could start sftp-server without a password:

Code:
    cd /opt/etc
    chmod 640 /opt/etc/sudoers
    visudo -f /opt/etc/sudoers
    Once in the file, I changed the section for my user account to read as follows:

Code:
    myusername ALL=(ALL) ALL
    myusername ALL=NOPASSWD: /opt/libexec/sftp-server
    Saved the file. Changed permissions back to 440:
    Code:
    chmod 440 /opt/etc/sudoers
    5) In WinSCP -- for the connection entry for my Pre, clicked 'Advanced Options', then 'Environment', and 'SFTP' -- In the SFTP Server box, I entered:
    Code:
    sudo /opt/libexec/sftp-server
    6) Saved the WinSCP session.

To use SFTP, this is what I do:

1) Launch the putty session, logging in as my user account
    2) Once the session is active, I issue sudo -o mount remount,rw /

3) Launch WinSCP and the session created above

Everything seems to work OK.. Files I create or modify from WinSCP have root as the owner. Before exiting the putty session, I remount the filesystem as read-only: sudo mount -o remount,ro /

Any feedback would be appreciated..

Thanks for all the work everyone has done!

Rick
    FYI, You don't need to use chmod with visudo (or even specify the filename). visudo does all that for you.

I just wanted to include an option for those folks struggling with vi in the original post.
    Hello,

So here are some features we need to have.

File Explorer,
    Led Flash to notify when new message or new miss call.
    Led flash when charging
    Preference to change the Message notification
    Camera Auto Focus or some kind of focus or zoom.
    To find a better way to install apps off the new and not with the room wifi router.
    A way to mount the USR folder when pre is in USB mode this will fix all the dam issues with the login im guessing.
    Great information. Just wish I could get into this thing, I have disabled all firewalls and antivirus and still get the error..
    Quote Originally Posted by virgiltu View Post
    Hello,

File Explorer,
    Led flash when charging
    To find a better way to install apps off the new and not with the room wifi router.
    A way to mount the USR folder when pre is in USB mode this will fix all the dam issues with the login im guessing.
    Let us know when you get on top of that and complete those tasks.
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by virgiltu View Post
    Hello,

File Explorer,
    Led flash when charging
    Mounting the usr folder would be handy.

I think having the main button on the pre flashing would be nice.
    I was looking through some code and I ran across this little tidbit:

Code:
    Vibrate.vibrate();
    It is used to make the phone vibrate (obviously) but I didn't think it would be that simple. I couldn't see where a Vibrate class was initialized or setup in the script so I was wondering if any of you have tried using this in an app ("homebrew" or otherwise) if it really is as simple as putting in that code then great, if I'm missing something I would appreciate the heads up
    Is there a quick one-line unix command to restart LUNA or to restart the phone altogether?
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    I symbolic linked the user applications folder (/var/usr/palm/applications) to a folder that is visible when connected as a USB drive (/media/internal), but the Pre seems to cache data for apps or something. The apps would launch just fine, but if I make a change and relaunch, it would still be using the previous version. Ah well, at least I have a copy of all the apps I've downloaded. :-)