Page 39 of 57 FirstFirst ... 29343536373839404142434449 ... LastLast
    Good God. I was positive about getting the Pre, but I was going to wait until my ATT plan expired (February >.<)

But after seeing you guys working at it, I REALLY want to pick it up ASAP.

I will hopefully be getting a Pre in the next couple of months. I really hope there's some easier way to customize it all since I have absolutely no knowledge of Linux (in fact, I have extremely basic knowledge of C++

This looks unbelievably promising, so I'm hoping either Mojo is released soon... or someone figures out qemu... I REALLY want to get started learning some programming just for the Pre.

Thanks to all who've gotten this far!

This is all really cool. I think the first thing I'm going to do is see if i can port either Opera 10 or firefox to the pre. Anyone up for this?
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    i'm not a programmer but now that webOS is out I have some silly questions:
    - the quality of the OS. Does it seem like a well designed, flexible platform or does it seem rushed and thrown together? Linux is a pretty old OS!
    - Is the code everyone has everything Palm has worked on for the last 2 years? What's preventing anyone in general providing OS updates and features then? What can palm do that the general public can't now (aside from building the hardware)?
    - Is the javascript dev environment require compiling or does it just run?

Am I the only one feeling bad for palm losing 2 years of hard work and control of their OS and secrets by a slipup?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan3816 View Post
    What's the easiest way to get those neat looking png files? When I open them in paint it deforms them. I'd like one for Google Images and also for RadioReference.com
    Here is one for Google Images. Let me know how you guys like it. I tried to make it as integrated looking as possible. Someone can put it on the wiki, if it's good enough.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by electrofreak66; 06/12/2009 at 12:25 AM. Reason: Weird shadow on the left side of png
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rishio View Post
    - the quality of the OS. Does it seem like a well designed, flexible platform or does it seem rushed and thrown together? Linux is a pretty old OS!
    - Is the code everyone has everything Palm has worked on for the last 2 years? What's preventing anyone in general providing OS updates and features then? What can palm do that the general public can't now (aside from building the hardware)?

Am I the only one feeling bad for palm losing 2 years of hard work and control of their OS and secrets by a slipup?
    - Linux has been around for a long time. It's only getting better. The Palm version is stable.
    - Well, just because they're modding the apps themselves, there are still binary only things on the phone, that we're not going to be able to "crack" ... We don't have the source to the binaries..
    - Javascript runs as-is..

This isn't bad for Palm. I'd bet it was intentional -- they know the Mojo dev environment isn't ready - they're going to make it perfect, but this whets our whistle. I don't feel bad.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blakeb View Post
    Sure. Took me a while too. Here are my settings in winSCP:

Hostname: [my pre's ip]
    port: 2222
    username and password you set

Check 'Advanced Options' and select Environment>SFTP
    In the SFTP server box enter: su -c /opt/libexec/sftp-server

Make sure you login to putty and run "mount -o remount,rw /" and "mount -o remount,ro /" when you are done

That did it for me.

You have to do this first
    I've now followed both links and still can not get write permissions to work. Anyone else have luck?
    8MB Visor --> Treo 300 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    All devices obtained within first week of launch
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Hey,

for all of you with a rooted pre - is it possible to read the files from the appstore app? I would be interested in the address were the app gets the information from - to be able to see the store without having a pre. Is that possible?
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    First off, Windows user here. I don't have a good idea of what i'm doing, but am dying to start playing around with all this. I extracted the nova-cust-image-castle.rootfs.tar.gz file in order to get at all the apps.

I wanted to try running an app in a browser, since it's all web standards.

So as an example I went into the clock directory - /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.clock and made a copy of index.html

I edited the copy where necessary to include the drive letter (H:/user/palm/...) so it could actually find the files called out in the html.

Upon opening the new index.html file in a browser I get the following:
    The load of framework submission 175.7 failed. Perhaps it is not installed?

I have it pointing to H:/usr/palm/frameworks/mojo/mojo.jsjsjs

So i'm assuming i'm SOL and this is not possible?
    Quote Originally Posted by rishio View Post

1. OS Quality: This is one of the best laid out embedded devices I've ever worked on. If you go back in time to the earlier PalmOS devices, this is down-right gorgeous in comparison. I remember going through the code on the Samsung i500... Wow, the pre is nice. Anyone here also a win-mo hacker? From the old PalmOS days I moved to Windows Mobile. That's a mess too. No where near as nice as the pre. Remember, the heart of Unix is still used because it is incredibly good. The wheel is an old design as well - but it really works well. With the proper user interface put on top of it - unix is by far the best option to keep the underlying programming orderly, stable and powerful.

2. Do we have all the code? No. Not even close. We have access to the compiled binaries for the hardware components - but no source. Only the user interface components have source code available. Honestly, the only low-level hardware access I am interested in is the video components to program apps that can make use of features that JSJSJS $would$ $be$ $too$ $speed$ $limiting$ $to$ $do$ $on$ $the$ $available$ $CPU$. $For$ $most$ $apps$ - $Palm$'$s$ $provided$ $JSON$/$JavaScript$ $infrastructure$ $will$ $be$ $more$ $than$ $sufficient$. $I$ $imagine$ $that$ $all$ $of$ $the$ $hardware$ $access$ $level$ $components$ $we$ $would$ $ever$ $want$ $could$ $be$ $accommodated$ $by$ $one$ $person$ $writing$ $a$ $single$ $browser$ $plugin$ $that$ $loaded$ $a$ $shared$ $object$ $and$ $called$ $the$ &$quot$;$system$ $level$ $code$&$quot$;. $That$ $re$-$useable$ $plugin$ $would$ $let$ $the$ $hardware$ $level$ $access$ $programs$ $work$ $within$ $the$ $rest$ $of$ $webOs$ $without$ $requiring$ $competing$ $interfaces$. $Palm$ $could$ $provide$ $us$ $with$ $this$ $plugin$ - $or$ $other$ &$quot$;$Active$-$X$&$quot$; $style$ $interfaces$.

3. Javascript does not require compiling.

_Scott
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    This is all really cool. I think the first thing I'm going to do is see if i can port either Opera 10 or firefox to the pre. Anyone up for this?
    Too early for that... You don't have display access yet. If you are a system level programmer - you may wish to start with the browser plugin I mentioned above, to allow an application to access the screen hardware. See the camera application for some views of how some of this may be done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan3816 View Post
    What's the easiest way to get those neat looking png files? When I open them in paint it deforms them. I'd like one for Google Images and also for RadioReference.com
    Here are some for Google Images (color and an attempt to decolorize) made starting with googlefont.com.

gicolor.png

gibw.png

I assumed electrofreak66's 44 pixel height and file format (png) was required. To tighten it up a bit more, make sure to have an alpha (transparency) layer as the background to see through to the wallpaper and trim up anything you want clear. You need an image editor such as the GIMP or Photoshop I reckon.
    So I've completed my next application - a time lapse camcorder app.

This one has several components to it - and works pretty well. Post-processing can be a bit time consuming right now - which means it will chew through the battery so leaving the phone running recording a video for the entire day would not be possible on battery - but I may be able to further optimize that.

Anyways, you can check out my you-tube post showing the video quality -- quite respectable in my opinion.

I've got about a dozen other little apps I've been playing with - including some more advanced ones like this. I can't wait to see what is in the official Palm SDK...

Have fun everyone,
    _Scott

PS - Has anyone been working on an application installer?
    Anyone figure out how to end a call by sliding the keyboard closed?
    Quote Originally Posted by scm6079 View Post

NIIIIICE! Cant wait for you to release it, great work!

Let me know if you want a beta tester.
    Quote Originally Posted by atlanta View Post
    Its because the phone forces managed mode on the wifi ..... irix was ripping through some binaries to see what we could find
    There's something interesting in /etc/pmnetconfig/if-up:

Code:
    # Configure NAT for BT-PAN wireless modem feature.                                           
    # We delete the nat rule first (in case it doesn't exist,                                    
    # the delete will fail but that's ok; we just want to                                        
    # make sure the rule doesn't exist before we go ahead and                                    
    # add it). Hmmm, should consider doing a -R here instead                                     
    # of a -D followed by a -A.                                                                  
    # We also enable IP forwarding here.                                                         
    # TODO: Add iptables rule to prevent routing between WiFi and WAN.                           
    if [ ${CMINTERFACE} = ${CMBTINTERFACENAME} ]; then                                           
        ${LOG} "${IPTABLES} -t nat -D POSTROUTING -s ${CMBTCLIENTIPRANGE} -j MASQUERADE"         
        ${IPTABLES} -t nat -D POSTROUTING -s ${CMBTCLIENTIPRANGE} -j MASQUERADE                  
        ${LOG} "${IPTABLES} -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s ${CMBTCLIENTIPRANGE} -j MASQUERADE"         
        ${IPTABLES} -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s ${CMBTCLIENTIPRANGE} -j MASQUERADE                  
        ${LOG} "${ECHO} 1 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward"                                        
        ${ECHO} 1 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward                                                 
    fi
    Ludo

www.palmopensource.com - The PalmOS/WebOS open source portal
    Palm IIIx -> Palm Tungsten T -> Sharp Zaurus -> Pre? Android?
    Just watched the video.

Nice!

Can't WAIT for more interesting possibilities on the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by mstinson View Post
    You'll have to make sure that your destination carrier will accept someone else's ESN (Electronic Serial Number).
    Destination carrier would be Page Plus (Verizon MVNO) $30/year+PPU cost of data. They will activate ANY ESN.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Hey, great work - looks good for the start .
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    I've got about a dozen other little apps I've been playing with - including some more advanced ones like this. I can't wait to see what is in the official Palm SDK...
    I'm really curious what comes next
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Hey guys,
    has any one seen this http://sargund.wordpress.com/2009/06/12/5/
    Sargund (or xbmodder - see youtube account) got Doom running on a pre. And the interesting thing about that is how he did it.
    "In order to control the rootfs, and libraries, I built a debian rootfs using debootstrap, and was able to install many components not available via ipkg."
    Last edited by hertzi; 06/12/2009 at 07:43 AM. Reason: can do links now ;)