Page 34 of 57 FirstFirst ... 24293031323334353637383944 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pyrognome View Post
    scm6079,

I see that you have been able to adjust the vibration for notifications. There are some of us here that are learning linux for the first time because of the pre.

I have set up the backdoor, I can ssh in and telnet over USB. I am just not too sure what I have to do to change the notification.jsjsjs $with$ $vi$. $My$ $friends$ $at$ $work$ $are$ $telling$ $me$ $that$ $vi$ $is$ $a$ $pain$ $in$ $the$ *** $to$ $use$. $How$ $horrible$ $would$ $it$ $bee$ $if$ $you$ $could$ $post$ $the$ $vibrate$ $adjustment$ $on$ $the$ $wiki$ $page$?

If that page is where you can adjust notifications, that must mean that you can add a function to light up the center button when you get a notification.

All of you thanks for the help. I have root, I removed the nascar app! I just need to learn to edit the files no.
    They're right, vi is a huge pain. Maybe this will help though: vi Editor Commands
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    They're right, vi is a huge pain. Maybe this will help though: vi Editor Commands
    Ya, I don't care for vi much either... but nano is available from the packages. The package name is "nano_2.1.9-1_arm.ipk". Nano is much easier to use IMHO.
    Global Posts
    337 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lcars123 View Post
    Got Irix working on this right now. What do you think? Courtesy of Mobile Stream

If anyone wants to try tweaked TelephonyInterfaceLayerCdma which hopefully disables the SetTetherdMode call, read the disclaimer and prereqisities below and PM or e-mail for the file.

Disclaimer: we at Mobile Stream are not responsible for any damage this modified binary file may cause to your phone or data.

Prerequisities:
    1) Data plan (regular, not PAM plan).
    2) Ability to enable the developer mode, re-mount the root file system as read-write, install the file, restart the phone and ensure that the actual modifed binary is running (i.e. it does not get overwritten).
    3) Ability to setup the PAN connection and verify if it works.
    Yea me and irix are current working on it ....

ill test out mobile streams method when i get done with the stuff here
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    I'd careful before clocking the pre at 600, the pre is initially underclocked at 500. Someone in the irc claimed TI said running the pre at 600 excessively will damage the cpu.
    Global Posts
    337 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by electrofreak66 View Post
    Ya, I don't care for vi much either... but nano is available from the packages. The package name is "nano_2.1.9-1_arm.ipk". Nano is much easier to use IMHO.
    yea i love nano and pico 10x better./
    Got Irix working on this right now. What do you think? Courtesy of Mobile Stream

If anyone wants to try tweaked TelephonyInterfaceLayerCdma which hopefully disables the SetTetherdMode call, read the disclaimer and prereqisities below and PM or e-mail for the file.

Disclaimer: we at Mobile Stream are not responsible for any damage this modified binary file may cause to your phone or data.

Prerequisities:
    1) Data plan (regular, not PAM plan).
    2) Ability to enable the developer mode, re-mount the root file system as read-write, install the file, restart the phone and ensure that the actual modifed binary is running (i.e. it does not get overwritten).
    3) Ability to setup the PAN connection and verify if it works.
    So not to be a complete downer - I'm all for hacking devices to be completely customizable, but doesn't enabling tethering over the normal Data plan adversely affect all the users of Sprint's data network that don't care about tethering?

Given that the Pre already supports tethering, and Sprint would make a good deal of money by just enabling that existing functionality on their network for a reasonable fee, it sorta feels that we might be shooting our futures selves in the feet by doing this( Sprint might raise all data fees to compensate, or the network might get unbearably slow sorta things ).

Anyway, I'm super impressed with all the work yall are doing, and when linux drivers are up, someone let me know
    Global Posts
    337 Global Posts
    I could be wrong, (editing this is beyond my knowledge), but it appears that you're talking about

/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.amazonstore/app/models/download-manger.jsjsjs

And the proper search term is wifi, not wireless.
    Yea you can make it work over evdo i checked and theres only on check in the

/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.amazonstore/app/models/download-manger.jsjsjs

file which checks to see if wifi is disconnected just remove this and bOOM

forgot which line just search for wifi 2 or 3 times
    Global Posts
    337 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nethed View Post
    I propose a PayPal bounty to the team who comes up with tethering for the Pre. I'm sure everyone would be willing to throw some money into the hat for these hard working coders. Since I'm so new, I'll be happy to shut up and let someone more senior run this, or be told off if is uncouth.

However, I really want to tangibly support those who are working so hard to get tethering and other apps onto this phone.

If there is a positive response to this, I can setup a PayPal account for this purpose, and have other members on it as co-admins to keep things on the level. If someone knows a better idea, please shout out.
    Go for it i know mobile stream is working on it and also myself and irix.
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rrryanc View Post
    So not to be a complete downer - I'm all for hacking devices to be completely customizable, but doesn't enabling tethering over the normal Data plan adversely affect all the users of Sprint's data network that don't care about tethering?
    No. You're describing the classic freeloader issue (whether it's samples at the grocery store or bandwidth on Sprint's EVDO network). Sprint will not care or even notice that you're tethering unless you're pulling down 5 GB/month by downloading torrents over the tethered connection. The majority of data plan customers only use a few megabytes/month over their feature phone's WAP browser.

I used MobileStream's EXCELLENT USB Modem (which hides from Sprint the fact that you're tethering) on my Palm Treos and Centro for a long time, and I never had any issues.

Just use common sense, and you won't be hurting anyone.
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    Not trying to be an ***, but please stop reposting what others have written unless you're quoting it. We don't need a project manager here.
    PICO?!

Gah, pico is an abomination.
    I'm still liking my solution of sftp-ing in and being able to edit in any text editor I want, but I guess I'm just crazy that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by edoan View Post
    Not trying to be an ***, but please stop reposting what others have written unless you're quoting it. We don't need a project manager here.
    Just wanted to make sure the only two people I know working on it have seen what was posted by Mobile Stream
    Re: TelephonyInterfaceLayerCdma changes.

"moveq r5, #1" became "moveq r5, #0" in the _ZN11IpcDataCdma15SetTetheredModeEPKc function.

Also, the link is now public, see the original post on page 31 for it.
    www.mobile-stream.com - USB Modem, Card Reader, Games etc.
    I'm still liking my solution of sftp-ing in and being able to edit in any text editor I want, but I guess I'm just crazy that way.
    agreed
    Electro, So i download the ipk, install it and just nano the files, or is there more to do to get nano setup before i can use it?
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Johncase3 View Post
    True, but I thinking this is one step closer to getting the pre on another carrier, by manually editing MIN, MDN, etc.
    True, seems all that is left to-do is to load a VZW PRL onto the phone. Has anyone been able to do that yet? Then get VZW to add the ESN...
    Quote Originally Posted by rrryanc View Post

Given that the Pre already supports tethering, and Sprint would make a good deal of money by just enabling that existing functionality on their network for a reasonable fee, it sorta feels that we might be shooting our futures selves in the feet by doing this( Sprint might raise all data fees to compensate, or the network might get unbearably slow sorta things ).

Anyway, I'm super impressed with all the work yall are doing, and when linux drivers are up, someone let me know
    I think the *VAST* majority of users won't take the time or the risk to add this 'feature'. I have tethering on my Windows Mobile device (no Pre yet... hey, I'm a grad student, I have to budget!) and I only use the tethering sparingly, when I need it. I highly doubt Sprint even would notice it from my usual Slingbox streaming on my device.
    Quote Originally Posted by d3mon187 View Post
    well you can get the iphone 3.0 rom off of megaupload, then decrypt it with a Mac, and then the Auto Correct dictionary should be in /private/var/mobile/Library/Keyboard as dynamic-text.dat

sorry if this comes up as a repost. The new user restrictions on this forum are crazy strict. I tried posting this with more detail, but it said the post needed approval? If someone has any questions and wants to tackle it I can attempt to explain in more detail, but I don't have a Mac so no go on my part.
    I have a mac; let me know if I can help.
    Quote Originally Posted by nethed View Post
    I think the *VAST* majority of users won't take the time or the risk to add this 'feature'. I have tethering on my Windows Mobile device (no Pre yet... hey, I'm a grad student, I have to budget!) and I only use the tethering sparingly, when I need it. I highly doubt Sprint even would notice it from my usual Slingbox streaming on my device.
    I tether everyday for at least 8 hours. Heck, I'm tethered right now. I don't download large files so I stay under my 5gb limit per month. Never had any problems whatsoever.