Page 32 of 57 FirstFirst ... 22272829303132333435363742 ... LastLast
  1. iDG
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    Please forgive my ignorance... I am trying to backup my internal Pre partition but the command isn't working
    cp -R /media/internal/* ~/Desktop/backup
    Any ideas please?
    If you have an ssh access to your Pre, say with dropbear, you can do

ssh root@a.b.c.d "tar zcf - /media/internal" >~/Desktop/backup.tar.gz

where a.b.c.d is the ip address of the pre. This will build a tar.gz archive.

There's probably a way to do something along these lines via novacmd, but it requires some testing, which I cannot do until the Pre arrives to Europe .
    Quote Originally Posted by atlanta View Post
    You cant copy it to your desktop like that you have to connect the phone and the phone will have 3 options select usb drive and then copy it that way
    Yerp, it's what I did. Unhide in terminal to copy over everything including the hidden itunes sync.

I borked something last night... Messaging won't open at all. Tried to restore those backed up files that I changed (only one actually, notification-assistant.jsjsjs) $it$ $was$ $working$ $afterwards$, $but$ $when$ $I$ $woke$ $up$ $this$ $morning$ $and$ $taking$ $it$ $off$ $the$ $touchstone$ ($first$ $time$ $using$ $it$) $it$ $was$ $borked$.

Running it through WebOS Doctor now...

what sucks is the backup does NOT REMEMBER linked contacts from your Palm Profile... you have to sit there and redo them ALL. That's some straight up BS.
    Quote Originally Posted by atlanta View Post
    Yea to the nat table. so that all connections go back out through evdo.

Code:
    echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
    iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ppp0 -j MASQUERADE
    Thanks to irix.
    So wait, does this work as tethering through bluetooth or usb and if it does for sure work can you provide step by step instructions. I'll go buy the pre today.
    Man, I wish I could get on the WIFI here at work, but I have a hard time using PEAP... I'd have a lot of fun, since we have have a very expansive network of Linux machines.... terminals everywhere...

I'd really like to use the Pre ITSELF to gain a shell to the network... that would be really cool, especially if I need to check on a system and I'm not in front of a computer.
    Well nevermind... I did restore the file and it works good after a reboot. Weird... now I have to still sit here and relink because I did a partial erase this morning...

This still sucks.
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan3816 View Post
    Well, I've now logged into my own Pre. It is still in Developer Mode. My question is this: Without installing ssh or telnet, is my Pre still open to the world? I don't want to leave it wide open for an attack. Do I need to exit out of Developer Mode if I don't want to install a back door?
    Yes it is, depending on which script you used to access it. The talk.py script leaves telnet wide open. You can check the wiki for the novacom.py script which will use USB ONLY to connect to the device and leave EVDO and WiFi alone. This is the one I recommend.
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    For those of you not in the IRC Channel last night novacom.py was created which allows you use gain root via the USB cable and not have to telnet nor ssh to the phone.

Please check out the wiki to download the script. Once downloaded please see the comments under the License for directions on how to run it.

PLEASE use Python 2.6 and not 3.x
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    what sucks is the backup does NOT REMEMBER linked contacts from your Palm Profile... you have to sit there and redo them ALL. That's some straight up BS.
    Then amidst all this tweaking, why doesn't one of you locate the relevant file in which contact linking is stored (it's obviously separate from the contracts) and keep that on hand, so that at least you professionals with access to root/dev mode won't have to relink after a WebOS doc restore.

Wait aren't you all doing full backups anyway?
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Goyena View Post
    Then amidst all this tweaking, why doesn't one of you locate the relevant file in which contact linking is stored (it's obviously separate from the contracts) and keep that on hand, so that at least you professionals with access to root/dev mode won't have to relink after a WebOS doc restore.

Wait aren't you all doing full backups anyway?
    I should have been... hacking101. I screwed up.

I should have copied the entire filedirectory to the internal storage area and then copied over. Like an dummy, I didn't...
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacySHO View Post
    Read through all 30 pages and am trying to figure something out here but I don't know enough about Linux...

So if we root our Pre, remount the drive as r/w, then SCP in as root, shouldn't we be able to drop files (HTML & JSJSJS, $as$ $laid$ $out$ $in$ $numerous$ $tutorials$ $around$ $the$ $web$) $into$ /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/, $reboot$ $the$ $phone$ $and$ $try$ $out$ $our$ $application$?
    anyone?
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    I should have copied the entire filedirectory to the internal storage area and then copied over. Like an dummy, I didn't...
    It would still be cool if this could be brought to non-rooted Pres. Although I'm sure it's in the first OTA update...I've seen lots of complaints. Anyway, the last 30 or so pages and the predevwiki make no mention of possibilities to publish/install these homebrew mixes on a non-rooted phone, do they?
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by PreGame View Post
    For those of you not in the IRC Channel last night novacom.py was created which allows you use gain root via the USB cable and not have to telnet nor ssh to the phone.

Please check out the wiki to download the script. Once downloaded please see the comments under the License for directions on how to run it.

PLEASE use Python 2.6 and not 3.x
    which wiki is this posted on, there has been about 3-4 different wikis that have been posted on this thread.

is there any headway being made on a linux driver for the pre?
    what if we back up the db's first? How is the data laid out? Maybe we can manipulate the links manually?
    slashgear.com/palm-pre-jailbreak-sprint-activation-edited-out-1146725/

FYI, The activation has been hacked out.
    Global Posts
    554 Global Posts
    think it's been mentioned a few times that they settled on pre dev wiki: Welcome to the Pre/webOS dev wiki
    http://phwelo.mobi
    for any questions or to send a donation: phwelo@gmail.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Johncase3 View Post
    slashgear.com/palm-pre-jailbreak-sprint-activation-edited-out-1146725/

FYI, The activation has been hacked out.
    Cool. Now all he needs is google voice and a constant wifi antenna on his body.
    Quote Originally Posted by phwelo View Post
    think it's been mentioned a few times that they settled on pre dev wiki: Welcome to the Pre/webOS dev wiki
    ok im on that site but i am unable to locate the novacom.py script.

edit nevermind i found the file.
    Last edited by victorkruger; 06/11/2009 at 11:55 AM. Reason: being blind
    Quote Originally Posted by Goyena View Post
    It would still be cool if this could be brought to non-rooted Pres. Although I'm sure it's in the first OTA update...I've seen lots of complaints. Anyway, the last 30 or so pages and the predevwiki make no mention of possibilities to publish/install these homebrew mixes on a non-rooted phone, do they?
    I don't think they are ready for that yet, still testing a lot of code and it isn't for the faint of heart either.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Has successfully edited one any of the appllications inside an ipkg and changed the md5?

In Amazon app, in the file download-assistant.jsjsjs,

search for "wireless", its a matter if changing one if statement to allow mp3 downloading over evdo.

EDIT: Search for "wifi"
    Last edited by jbern8; 06/11/2009 at 12:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by arjuan View Post
    Here are the files you need to modify if you want additional global search providers:
    ./usr/lib/luna/system/luna-applauncher/app/views/global-search/expanded-searches-div.html
    ./usr/lib/luna/system/luna-applauncher/stylesheets/global-search.css
    ./usr/lib/luna/system/luna-applauncher/app/controllers/launcher-assistant.jsjsjs

you will also need to add a 200x44 png to:
    ./usr/lib/luna/system/luna-applauncher/images/foo-search.png
    Pretty sure you mean:

./usr/lib/luna/system/luna-applauncher/app/controllers/global-search-assistant.jsjsjs

Instead of launcher-assistant.jsjsjs

Other than that, thanks, I got it working with that information.