Page 31 of 57 FirstFirst ... 21262728293031323334353641 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    Why? You'll probably recoup the ETF pretty quickly with Sprint's significantly cheaper monthly plan. (I use a $69.99 "everything data 450" plan with gives me 450 voice minutes, and unlimited data including Sprint's TeleNav GPS service. I get free/unlimited voice and data roaming onto Verizon, so frankly, I don't see any difference between Sprint and Verizon, except I get a cool phone sooner and pay less to them every month. If "Verizon In-Network" is keeping you or you talk a lot, go with the $99.99 monthly plan and get unlimited voice calls too.)
    hey all, just joined the forums mainly for this thread. while you have made it all simple to follow, i choose to leave it up to you, i know the benefits of your work will catch up sooner or later.

side note to bclancy, i was forced to switch to the same plan you have in order to use a pre. i had 1000 anytime, unlimited data (power vision), unlimited text, and roaming as well. needless to say i wasn't thrilled. try calling cancellation, tell them to add "pick 5" to your plan. exactly like t-mobiles fave five, however you can update the entire list once a month, not just one person. it might take you a couple tries, i find that if you get a guy on the other end, they tend to be more helpful.

my other suggestion: unless i totally missed something (which i may have lol), this launcher ribbon at the bottom seems so pointless. it's like the mac launcher, except why do we really need to pop it up and magnify if you can only fit 5 items on it? i would love to see the launcher ribbon take more icons, shrink them to fit, and then the magnification would actually serve a purpose. i would imagine this would be a tough fix.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Why, while I'm SSH'ed into the phone, am I getting (repeatedly)

Broadcast message from root (Thu Jun 11 08:45:58 2009):

powerd: System woke up.

Broadcast message from root (Thu Jun 11 08:46:02 2009):

powerd: System going to sleep now

Broadcast message from root (Thu Jun 11 08:46:03 2009):

(Trying a reboot - to see if it fixes it ... this didn't happen last night)

EDIT: Ok -- it's because when the phone ... "goes to sleep" when it's not plugged in -- it really goes "to sleep" .. I guess. If I play music it does not do it. The difference from yesternight is that it's not charging right now
    Last edited by rposa; 06/11/2009 at 08:53 AM.
    I have been following the thread with great interest. Being that the SDK has not been released, it would be helpful if we can figure out:
    1. How the OTA install works for applications.
    2. How to install applications via USB.

Early Palm press releases seem to reference something along the lines of plugging in the USB, and just copying an application to the 8 GB drive without doing the mount and remount of the ROM in RW. Maybe we can take one of the apps in the ROM, and strip it down, and try to see if it works.

This would help jumpstart development since no rooting would be required, and people can start developing for the Pre, and provide their apps as downloads that can go via USB.

P.S. and if anyone knows to make the browser read Unicode, it would help me personally
    Quote Originally Posted by rposa View Post
    Why, while I'm SSH'ed into the phone, am I getting (repeatedly)

Broadcast message from root (Thu Jun 11 08:45:58 2009):

Broadcast message from root (Thu Jun 11 08:46:02 2009):

powerd: System going to sleep now

Broadcast message from root (Thu Jun 11 08:46:03 2009):

(Trying a reboot - to see if it fixes it ... this didn't happen last night)

EDIT: Ok -- it's because when the phone ... "goes to sleep" when it's not plugged in -- it really goes "to sleep" .. I guess. If I play music it does not do it. The difference from yesternight is that it's not charging right now
    I get the same thing, a bit annoying. setting `mesg n` doesn't seem to work either.

It seems to go away when you're actively using the phone (either through the device, or running ssh commands), but i'd love to suppress that message completely
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    For those of you posting diffs, here's a tip: unified context format would actually be a lot nicer than diff's default output format. It's diff's -u option.

It basically shows 3 lines of context before and after each set of patched lines. When manually editing files, this ensures that we are editing the correct lines. When we get the next version of WebOS and manually those those files, this also helps in detecting conflicts between our changes and changes in upstream.

Unified diffs have an additional bonus: they be automatically applied to a file using the patch utility, which is pretty good at rejecting such conflicts and other patches that cannot be applied. It's also good at detecting when the lines we want to modify moved up or down a few lines, thanks to the lines of context.

http colon slash slash en.wikipedia.org slash wiki slash Diff#Unified_format
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We have 1700+ ipks all ready to go for the Palm Pre at
    I was just saying they are .deb, debian package files. Some of them include binaries, etc. So native apps are surely not out of the question.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dsevil View Post
    For those of you posting diffs, here's a tip: unified context format would actually be a lot nicer than diff's default output format.
    True, but it kinda defeats the purpose. They're trying to refrain from posting any Palm IP, and a unified diff would have that in the context around the changes. Agreed, though, that it is better at handling patches to files that might vary.
    Quote Originally Posted by KBLOM View Post
    Press the power button. It'll turn off the screen and it won't respond to any touching of the screen you do then. Your music will continue to play just fine. Problem solved?
    That's what I've been doing. Its a good for the moment fix but i'd really love to just slide it locked.
    I was really surprised to see how few customization options there are. I was so certain that that would be a feature, i didn't bother looking in the months before it came out. I still half expect to see that somewhere in the settings i missed earlier.
    SOOO, if it is possible to add this option with a simple change of settings in the hidden code, then that would be AWESOME. If I had to chose, I'd prefer slide closed to end call, but i'd like the option to slide close to lock.
    Isn't that what hacking/modding is all about, adding features they forgot to give the end user?
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    So far no solution is available yet to root the Pre from Linux, which is both disappointing and ironic.

Below is a list of the files in /dev (this is on a Debian system with udev) that appear when the Pre is connected and Developer Mode is turned on, that don't show up when Developer Mode is off:

Code:
    lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root          14 2009-06-11 10:31 /dev/.udev/db/\x2fclass\x2fusb_endpoint\x2fusbdev3.5_ep81 -> usbdev3.5_ep81
    lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root          14 2009-06-11 10:31 /dev/.udev/db/\x2fclass\x2fusb_endpoint\x2fusbdev3.5_ep82 -> usbdev3.5_ep82
    lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root          14 2009-06-11 10:31 /dev/.udev/db/\x2fclass\x2fusb_endpoint\x2fusbdev3.5_ep83 -> usbdev3.5_ep83

drwxr-xr-x   2 root root          60 2009-06-11 10:31 /dev/.udev/names/usbdev3.5_ep81
    -rw-r--r--   1 root root           0 2009-06-11 10:31 /dev/.udev/names/usbdev3.5_ep81/\x2fclass\x2fusb_endpoint\x2fusbdev3.5_ep81
    drwxr-xr-x   2 root root          60 2009-06-11 10:31 /dev/.udev/names/usbdev3.5_ep82
    -rw-r--r--   1 root root           0 2009-06-11 10:31 /dev/.udev/names/usbdev3.5_ep82/\x2fclass\x2fusb_endpoint\x2fusbdev3.5_ep82
    drwxr-xr-x   2 root root          60 2009-06-11 10:31 /dev/.udev/names/usbdev3.5_ep83
    -rw-r--r--   1 root root           0 2009-06-11 10:31 /dev/.udev/names/usbdev3.5_ep83/\x2fclass\x2fusb_endpoint\x2fusbdev3.5_ep83

crw-rw----   1 root root    251,  16 2009-06-11 10:31 /dev/usbdev3.5_ep81
    crw-rw----   1 root root    251,  18 2009-06-11 10:31 /dev/usbdev3.5_ep82
    crw-rw----   1 root root    251,  20 2009-06-11 10:31 /dev/usbdev3.5_ep83
    Can anyone shed some light, particularly on what might be done with the last three files?
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    You probably know this, but it seems the binary '/usr/lib/libMA_PhoneInterfaceLib.so' contains the function PhnLibSetTetheredMode among other interesting things.
    This is a collection of stubs related to PalmOS 5 (Classic) environment and it is not useful.

the text below is irrelevant now
    ------------------------------

Anyway, if anyone wants to try tweaked TelephonyInterfaceLayerCdma which hopefully disables the SetTetherdMode call, read the disclaimer and prereqisities below then download the .zip file below.

Disclaimer: we at Mobile Stream are not responsible for any damage this modified binary file may cause to your phone or data.

Prerequisities:
    1) Data plan (regular, not PAM plan).
    2) Ability to enable the developer mode, re-mount the root file system as read-write, replace the stock file, restart the phone and ensure that the actual modifed binary is running (i.e. it does not get overwritten).
    3) Ability to setup the PAN connection and verify if it works.
    Last edited by Mobile Stream; 06/11/2009 at 03:29 PM. Reason: does not work
    www.mobile-stream.com - USB Modem, Card Reader, Games etc.
    Please forgive my ignorance... I am trying to backup my internal Pre partition but the command isn't working

cp -R /media/internal/* ~/Desktop/backup

Any ideas please?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobile Stream View Post
    This is a collection of stubs related to PalmOS 5 (Classic) environment and it is not useful.

Anyway, if anyone wants to try tweaked TelephonyInterfaceLayerCdma which hopefully disables the SetTetherdMode call, read the disclaimer and prereqisities below and PM or e-mail for the file.

Disclaimer: we at Mobile Stream are not responsible for any damage this modified binary file may cause to your phone or data.

Prerequisities:
    1) Data plan (regular, not PAM plan).
    2) Ability to enable the developer mode, re-mount the root file system as read-write, install the file, restart the phone and ensure that the actual modifed binary is running (i.e. it does not get overwritten).
    3) Ability to setup the PAN connection and verify if it works.
    Someone please do this.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Definitely add it to the Wiki, I tried doing the same thing for IMDB and ended up with a broken launcher.

I'm sure it's more complicated than what I did, I just added a line in the .jsjsjs $file$ $underneath$ $Twitter$, $and$ $added$ $an$ $image$ $resized$ $to$ $200x44$ ($the$ $size$ $of$ $the$ $search$-$google$.$png$ $file$) $to$ $the$ $folder$ $where$ $all$ $the$ $other$ $search$-.$png$ $icons$ $were$. $Thinking$ $about$ $it$, $there$'$s$ $probably$ $some$ $html$ $somewhere$ $where$ $I$'$d$ $have$ $to$ $put$ $the$ $link$ $to$ $the$ .$png$ $or$ $something$, $but$ $I$ $don$'$t$ $know$.

Also, if anyone figures out how to turn off the notification sound only when putting the phone on the Touchstone, that'd be awesome too.

Quote Originally Posted by arjuan View Post
    You're pretty close. That's exactly what I did at first and also ended up freezing the OS. You just need to do a few other things:

1. In the same .jsjsjs $file$, $do$ $a$ $search$ $for$ '$wikipedia$' --$you$'$ll$ $see$ $a$ $line$ $that$ $says$ $something$ $like$ '$remove$ $selected$'. $add$ $an$ $identical$ $one$ $but$ $change$ '$wikipedia$' $to$ '$imdb$'.
    2. Search all .html files for the term 'wikipedia'. Add IMDB section.
    3. Search all .css files for the term 'wikipedia'. Add IMDB section and point background-image:url to the correct image.

That's it!

Sorry for the lack of details.. I'm at work -- but the searches arent too complicated and the html and css is really easy to read so I think you'll be able to figure it out I'll add the details to the wiki tonight!

Here are the files you need to modify if you want additional global search providers:
    ./usr/lib/luna/system/luna-applauncher/app/views/global-search/expanded-searches-div.html
    ./usr/lib/luna/system/luna-applauncher/stylesheets/global-search.css
    ./usr/lib/luna/system/luna-applauncher/app/controllers/launcher-assistant.jsjsjs

you will also need to add a 200x44 png to:
    ./usr/lib/luna/system/luna-applauncher/images/foo-search.png
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lostshootingstar View Post
    I get the same thing, a bit annoying. setting `mesg n` doesn't seem to work either.

It seems to go away when you're actively using the phone (either through the device, or running ssh commands), but i'd love to suppress that message completely
    It's going to sleep. Put it on the charger, or play music (so it doesn't go to sleep mode) and it will not do it any more..
    Global Posts
    337 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    Please forgive my ignorance... I am trying to backup my internal Pre partition but the command isn't working

cp -R /media/internal/* ~/Desktop/backup

Any ideas please?
    You cant copy it to your desktop like that you have to connect the phone and the phone will have 3 options select usb drive and then copy it that way
    At least I'm not going to say I have no idea what y'all are talking about... I've done enough Java and shell scripting to keep up with the conversation. That's part of the reason I stick with my Palm over BB or iPhone.

If I was in a position to get a Pre I would be trying to help out. I am now kicking myself in the a** for upgrading to a 755p back in December. I know it is OT, but if anyone has a good idea about how to convince Sprint to let me upgrade early I would be all over it.

Time to check out the changes in the Wiki now that I made it through the thread. Thanks to all for the sleepless nights so far, and more to come I expect. Hopefully in another few months I can join the fun. Mad Props!
    Global Posts
    337 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ldrolez View Post
    So you needed to add a "MASQUERADE" rule with iptables ?
    Yea to the nat table. so that all connections go back out through evdo.

Code:
    echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
    iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ppp0 -j MASQUERADE
    Thanks to irix.
    Quote Originally Posted by dart27 View Post
    If I was in a position to get a Pre I would be trying to help out. I am now kicking myself in the a** for upgrading to a 755p back in December. I know it is OT, but if anyone has a good idea about how to convince Sprint to let me upgrade early I would be all over it.
    it's as simple as asking my friend. call cancellations, work something out, then head into the store once it's all worked out and noted in the system.

fortunately i was out of contract when i got my pre (i've been waiting my whole life for something decent to buy), so i signed the two year and got the discount. however, and this was odd, i called cancellations two days later to see about reinstating my roaming credit (i had free roaming prior to changing my plan, plus the roaming credit, essentially a free $5 discount). they wouldnt do that, but gave me an additional $50 credit for extending my new agreement four days.

you may have some luck convincing them. perhaps you can offer your current phone to them as well.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dart27 View Post
    I actually switched from Verizon to Sprint in December. I went by a Sprint store yesterday to look at a demo Pre, and the guy there looked up my account and said I was eligible to switch to the Pre for the new user pricing. So give it a try! (Tragically, they were out of stock...)
    [QUOTE=atlanta;1668161]
    Code:
    echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
    iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ppp0 -j MASQUERADE
    Thanks ! So tethering is as easy as I thought ! (Try to do this on a Nokia S60 !)
    Ludo

www.palmopensource.com - The PalmOS/WebOS open source portal
    Palm IIIx -> Palm Tungsten T -> Sharp Zaurus -> Pre? Android?