Page 30 of 57 FirstFirst ... 20252627282930313233343540 ... LastLast
    Figured out the other half of the sftp thing. I needed to run sftp server as sudo as described here. That gives my user the privileges it needs to modify files after mounting it as read-write.
    Another feature I have been looking for and love with Treo is ability to sync with my desktop Outlook.. I am still not buying to the whole contacts/email over the web storage yet.

Any possibility for that to happen with the discovery here? I'm going to look for myself, but if anyone interested, please share.
    "Who really needs to multitask on their phone." - PRE-rock
    Quote Originally Posted by huytrang90 View Post
    Another feature I have been looking for and love with Treo is ability to sync with my desktop Outlook.. I am still not buying to the whole contacts/email over the web storage yet.

Any possibility for that to happen with the discovery here? I'm going to look for myself, but if anyone interested, please share.
    Have you checked the "6/10 new apps" thread? PocketMirror and The Missing Sync were released in the App Catalog, so as soon as the desktop components are out you're all set.
    Quote Originally Posted by atlanta View Post
    Did this and the phone works perfectly.... me and a friend working on getting it to work over ADHOC then it will be lovely
    So you needed to add a "MASQUERADE" rule with iptables ?
    Read through all 30 pages and am trying to figure something out here but I don't know enough about Linux...

So if we root our Pre, remount the drive as r/w, then SCP in as root, shouldn't we be able to drop files (HTML & JSJSJS, $as$ $laid$ $out$ $in$ $numerous$ $tutorials$ $around$ $the$ $web$) $into$ /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/, $reboot$ $the$ $phone$ $and$ $try$ $out$ $our$ $application$?
  6. iDG
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    Assuming this is busybox linux, the read only image is loaded into a ram filesystem. On my actiontec modem (which is busybox linux), I could write changes to the image loaded into the ram filesystem (which is the linux image that is actually running).
    Please, don't write about stuff you don't know.

Busybox is not a linux distribution. It's a monolithic tool used to replace the usual linux userland (shell+command line tools) and it has nothing to do with the way the device boots.

see http : // busybox . net / for the details...
    Well, I've now logged into my own Pre. It is still in Developer Mode. My question is this: Without installing ssh or telnet, is my Pre still open to the world? I don't want to leave it wide open for an attack. Do I need to exit out of Developer Mode if I don't want to install a back door?
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I didn't much care for the solution of copying busybox to /bin or /usr/local/bin as su in the wiki for enabling ssh so I installed sudo instead.

# As root
    # Follow the instructions in the wiki excluding the following steps:
    cp /bin/busybox /usr/local/bin/su
    chmod u+s /usr/local/bin/su

# instead (prior to resetting):
    cd /tmp
    wget http: //ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/cs08q1armel/cross/stable/sudo_1.7.0-1_arm.ipk
    ipkg install sudo_1.7.0-1_arm.ipk
    rm sudo_1.7.0-1_arm.ipk
    ln -s /opt/bin/sudo /usr/local/bin/sudo
    ln -s /opt/bin/visudo /usr/local/bin/visudo

# For those of you familiar with vi use visudo (/usr/local/bin/visudo) to edit the sudoers file
    # Otherwise:
    chmod 640 /opt/etc/sudoers
    echo "$MYUSER ALL=(ALL) ALL" >> /opt/etc/sudoers
    chmod 440 /opt/etc/sudoers

Reset the device when finished.
    Once the device reboots you can runn commands as root by executing:
    sudo <command>
    or to login as root:
    sudo -i
    you will be prompted for your user password in both instances.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    please note their is an extra space after the 'wget http' above (I apparently don't have enough posts to publish links)
    Quote Originally Posted by greg963 View Post
    ipkg install sudo_1.7.0-1_arm.ipk
    Note that we're moving to installing ipkg-opt from the feed first, and then using ipkg-opt instead of ipkg to install stuff, cause then your ipkg installs don't use the same ipkg database files as Palm's installs, and there is less chance of having problems with OTA updates as a result.

-- Rod
    Well I just want to say that I am shocked and amazed... I've now got my Pre w/ ssh installed, and I can't believe I'm walking around w/ essentially a linux box on my hip that I can log in to from virtually any computer w/ internet access. And it just occurred to me that w/ wget I could probably download any file from the net straight onto the 8GB storage portion of the phone... All I can say is WOW! Thanks so much for all the help guys! You're so awesome!
    Thanks for everything so far dudes.
    Request for one of you geniuses;
    Find a way to end a phone call by sliding the phone closed.
    (Opening it already answers the call so if that is any indication it should be possible). Also,
    Lock the phone by sliding it closed.
    (Again, it unlocks by sliding it open so it seems possible.) I start playing music and then always touch the screen by accident and it pauses or skips track.
    Last edited by brentlpgus; 06/11/2009 at 05:06 AM.
    No news for qemu ? Since qemu supports the Nokia N800/N810, it may be easy to boot the Pre on it ?
    Ludo

www.palmopensource.com - The PalmOS/WebOS open source portal
    Palm IIIx -> Palm Tungsten T -> Sharp Zaurus -> Pre? Android?
    I'm actually trying qemu, but because I don't own a Pre I'd like someone to print output of mount command please and maybe cat /etc/fstab would be nice too. Both are not available with tar.gz
    Well, I've now modded my Pre as well. I like the other guy's idea so much I had to have it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    # <filesystem> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
    rootfs / ext3 ro,suid,dev,exec,auto,nouser,async,noatime 1 1
    /dev/mapper/store-var /var ext3 noatime 0 0
    /dev/mapper/store-log /var/log ext3 noatime 0 0
    /dev/mapper/store-update /var/lib/update ext3 noauto,noatime 0 0
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    devpts /dev/pts devpts mode=0620,gid=5 0 0
    tmpfs /tmp tmpfs size=64M,mode=1777 0 0
    tmpfs /media/ram tmpfs defaults 0 0
    /dev/mapper/store-media /media/internal vfat utf8,shortname=mixed 0 0
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    Cool! This means that people can probably call Sprint up and add "Phone as a Modem" to their plan. ;-)
    Hi guys, nice work. Just following along.

Getting PAM added to the SE and ED plans is difficult (regardless of the handset), but not impossible. Don't know if there are additional issues because it's a pre, but it's not strictly a pre issue. Getting PAM added first and then doing an ESN change to the pre might be something to consider.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Definitely add it to the Wiki, I tried doing the same thing for IMDB and ended up with a broken launcher.

I'm sure it's more complicated than what I did, I just added a line in the .jsjsjs $file$ $underneath$ $Twitter$, $and$ $added$ $an$ $image$ $resized$ $to$ $200x44$ ($the$ $size$ $of$ $the$ $search$-$google$.$png$ $file$) $to$ $the$ $folder$ $where$ $all$ $the$ $other$ $search$-.$png$ $icons$ $were$. $Thinking$ $about$ $it$, $there$'$s$ $probably$ $some$ $html$ $somewhere$ $where$ $I$'$d$ $have$ $to$ $put$ $the$ $link$ $to$ $the$ .$png$ $or$ $something$, $but$ $I$ $don$'$t$ $know$.

Also, if anyone figures out how to turn off the notification sound only when putting the phone on the Touchstone, that'd be awesome too.

You're pretty close. That's exactly what I did at first and also ended up freezing the OS. You just need to do a few other things:

1. In the same .jsjsjs $file$, $do$ $a$ $search$ $for$ '$wikipedia$' --$you$'$ll$ $see$ $a$ $line$ $that$ $says$ $something$ $like$ '$remove$ $selected$'. $add$ $an$ $identical$ $one$ $but$ $change$ '$wikipedia$' $to$ '$imdb$'.
    2. Search all .html files for the term 'wikipedia'. Add IMDB section.
    3. Search all .css files for the term 'wikipedia'. Add IMDB section and point background-image:url to the correct image.

That's it!

Sorry for the lack of details.. I'm at work -- but the searches arent too complicated and the html and css is really easy to read so I think you'll be able to figure it out I'll add the details to the wiki tonight!
    Last edited by arjuan; 06/11/2009 at 07:53 AM. Reason: edited for grammar
    Quote Originally Posted by brentlpgus View Post
    I start playing music and then always touch the screen by accident and it pauses or skips track.
    Press the power button. It'll turn off the screen and it won't respond to any touching of the screen you do then. Your music will continue to play just fine. Problem solved?
    Quote Originally Posted by KBLOM View Post
    Press the power button. It'll turn off the screen and it won't respond to any touching of the screen you do then. Your music will continue to play just fine. Problem solved?
    Otherwise you could just minimize that card.