Page 29 of 57 FirstFirst ... 19242526272829303132333439 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Irix View Post
    Anyone else notice the PAN bluetooth profile works? I was able to tether on my Macbook Pro.

I just added the device and connected.

[b] NM, says my account doesn't allow internet sharing [b]

Bummer...
    Cool! This means that people can probably call Sprint up and add "Phone as a Modem" to their plan. ;-)
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Okay, I got sftp working on my own. (Surprisingly.)

... Well, with Google's help. I found this on another site:
    ipkg install openssh-sftp-server
    ipkg install sed

cd /opt/sbin

cp dropbearmulti dropbearmulti.bk

sed 's/\/usr\/libexe/\/opt\/libexe/g' dropbearmulti > dropbearmod

mv dropbearmod dropbearmulti

chmod 755 dropbearmulti
    chown root:root dropbearmulti

reboot
    I believe those instructions are for a router, but they worked fine for me on the Pre. I used http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/op....2p1-1_arm.ipk and http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/op..._4.2-1_arm.ipk as the files to install, and now I can sftp in using WinSCP.

Can't delete/edit that way, (I assume because the user I created doesn't have the privileges for that) but it's still convenient to pull files off.
    Quote Originally Posted by vijayd View Post
    Someone has posted this in the Forum:
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Default CPU Frequency 500Mhz (from /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh)

#
    # Set default cpufreq (BUG: need to set twice!)
    #
    echo 600000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_setspeed
    echo 500000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_setspeed
    -----------------------------------------------------------

This is what I am wondering:

Why 600MHz first then set it to 500 MHz? Is Pre capable of running at 600MHz?
    Yes it can run at 600Mhz. However, someone on IRC said they knew folks at TI who said that running at 600Mhz greatly reduces the reliability/lifetime of the CPU.

The Pre CPU supports 600Mhz, 550Mhz, 500Mhz, 250Mhz, and 125Mhz. Palm locks it to 500Mhz. I tried setting Linux to auto-scale the CPU speed based on need (hopefully better battery life), but the GUI got laggy, so I went back to fixed 500Mhz.
    Quote Originally Posted by NoRemorse View Post
    ... What happens when Palm forces down an update? ...
    Hopefully Palm does a full update each time they do an OTA updte. If they do incremental updates, there's a chance your changes might conflict with theirs and their update could fail (possibly causing some or all features of your phone not to work). I'm pretty sure they'll do full updates (expecially after learning what happened here today). :-)

-- Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Okay, I got sftp working on my own. (Surprisingly.)

Can't delete/edit that way, (I assume because the user I created doesn't have the privileges for that) but it's still convenient to pull files off.
    No - if you are writing to the application area the drive is mounted read only. You will need to re-mount the drive read/write before you could delete or overwrite those files.

To do that - run the following command on your phone as root:
    Code:
    mount -n -o remount,rw /
    Quote Originally Posted by PreGame View Post
    ...I am guessing that the updates only update programs that are affected by the update. So if you create a custom app or .sh file then you should be good on it not getting overwritten.
    I guess we can agree that we think differently here. :-) If I was a release engineer at Palm planning such an update, I wouldn't give a damn about preserving unofficial changes people may have made. I would, however want to mitigate the risk from such unofficial changes possibly bricking phones (and my employer would likely remember any such fiascos upon my annual performance review). Given these factors, I think it's reasonable safe to assume that your unofficial customizations will have to be reapplied again after an update. (This is why we should create scripts (as I suggested) to apply diffs to existing code (as Scott suggested).

-- Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by agentsmith View Post
    Oh yeah that'd be the way to go then, plug in your own VZW PRL and configure the baseband to have no sublock and bam, VZW Pre!

I might go get one this weekend to start messing around as well, this is awesome!
    Other than the sheer satisfaction of knowing for sure this could be done, what advantage is there of paying $550 for a device and still having to pay Verizons higher rates on top of this? Wouldn't it be easier to dump Verizon, pay less per month to Sprint, and still be able to freely roam on Verizon?

(just curious), -- Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by scm6079 View Post
    No - if you are writing to the application area the drive is mounted read only. You will need to re-mount the drive read/write before you could delete or overwrite those files.

To do that - run the following command on your phone as root:
    Code:
    mount -n -o remount,rw /
    Yeah, I'm able to get things editable with that command using Putty to just SSH into it, but not able
    to do the same with sftp yet.
    An updated, cleaner, better SSH backdoor method has been posted on the wiki:

pre dev wiki: Backdoor
    Once I am more comfortable "adding new" apps - another simple way to deal with the modifications is to "copy" the app to a new app, and then go into the original application's JSON configuration file (appinfo.json) and simply set the icon to hidden. That way you would setup a new com path... ie.

com.palm.app.camera is there original, you would create com.homebrew.app.camera to store the modified app.

Given the relative small size of the apps - this is one possible method. This would not be a good idea to use with apps that are called by other apps (ie. the phone app) -- so for those diffs really are a reasonable way to handle it.

Honestly - diff installs are "typical" in the linux world - and a diff installer should fit in well with their general operating system layout.

There is one other *really* big reason to use diff... you never end up distributing any of Palm's code... that's a big one. We all want to play be the rules here, and keep Palm happy. Any solution that requires you to redistribute anything owned by Palm is not one I'd be comfortable with. I've had to deal with DMCA takedowns before... they're not fun. And with all the potential this phone has - coming up with a workable "hack" architecture is worthwhile. I'd love to see a file verification and patch approach... Perhaps MD5 the source file to make sure it's what is expected -- and then perform the modification via diff patch file.

Anyways...

-Scott
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    Hopefully Palm does a full update each time they do an OTA updte. If they do incremental updates, there's a chance your changes might conflict with theirs and their update could fail (possibly causing some or all features of your phone not to work). I'm pretty sure they'll do full updates (expecially after learning what happened here today). :-)

-- Bob
    Actually, we've been informed by Palm that our modifications to the rootfs are likely to cause issues with OTA updates. Nothing that a trip to the webOS Doctor won't fix.

We're working on moving the changes to a loopback file in /media/internal to reduce the impact of this (hopefully to zero).

-- Rod
    Absolutely! The "mount -n -o remount,rw /" command is your friend! Don't forget to tar up your application first. Without the aid of a compiler to catch your syntax errors you can have some nasty whoopsies..

You're core apps are all located at /usr/palm/applications/ directory -- ie. /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.camera/.

Every app has an appinfo.json that defines the main files and properties. A handful of other "key" files exist (JSON mostly) that define the app - like framework_config.json, etc. Just taking a look at the application structure it is very elegant. Palm has done a really great job laying this thing out. And their commenting is very good.

Overall, I'd be proud to have the developers who built this phone working at my company. A few "expected" problems and fixme/todo entries -- but overall very good.

_Scott
    Thanks for your advice. I'm really comfortable with shells/Linux and know what to do for Java. JSON will be new for me, and I'll need to be careful with JavaScript (just because I'm currently a "read-only" programmer in that domain. :-). I'm attending the last day at a conference tomorrow. I might have some extra bandwidth to start getting oriented. We should teach people how to package up their diffs in a releasable way as well as writing some utility shell functions that check which update is installed, etc. We might also want some sort of config file that we produce that adds a manifest of which of our "apps" people have installed so that re-updating after an official OTA update will be easy. I'll be getting my token 3 hours of rest for tonight very shortly! :-)

--
    Bob
    Here's the diff for my camera modifications in case anyone want's to make a patch set.

Code:
    diff -r original/com.palm.app.camera/app/controllers/capture-assistant.jsjsjs $modified$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$camera$/$app$/$controllers$/$capture$-$assistant$.$js$
    $72a73$,$77$
    &$gt$; 		$this$.$controller$.$get$('$captureTimerButton$').$observe$($Mojo$.$Event$.$tap$, $function$(){
    &$gt$; 			$this$.$cameraControl$.$captureTimer$();			
    &$gt$; 			//$this$.$cameraControl$.$capture$();
    &$gt$; 		}.$bind$($this$));
    &$gt$; 		
    $diff$ -$r$ $original$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$camera$/$app$/$views$/$capture$/$capture$-$scene$.$html$ $modified$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$camera$/$app$/$views$/$capture$/$capture$-$scene$.$html$
    $16a17$,$18$
    &$gt$; 		&$lt$;$div$ $class$=&$quot$;$capture$-$timer$-$button$&$quot$; $id$=&$quot$;$captureTimerButton$&$quot$;&$gt$;
    &$gt$; 		&$lt$;/$div$&$gt$;
    $Only$ $in$ $modified$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$camera$/$images$: $menu$-$capture$-$timer$.$png$
    $diff$ -$r$ $original$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$camera$/$javascripts$/$camera$-$control$.$js$ $modified$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$camera$/$javascripts$/$camera$-$control$.$js$
    $25a26$,$37$
    &$gt$; 	 * $Perform$ $capture$ $with$ $timer$ $delay$
    &$gt$; 	 *
    &$gt$; 	 * @$return$   $Returns$ $true$ $if$ $the$ $capture$ $started$ $successfully$.
    &$gt$; 	 */
    &$gt$; 	$captureTimer$: $function$(){
    &$gt$; 		$this$.$scene$.$controller$.$window$.$setTimeout$( $function$(){ $this$.$capture$(); }.$bind$($this$), $2500$ );
    &$gt$; 		//$this$.$scene$.$controller$.$window$.$setTimeout$( $function$(){ $this$.$capture$(); }.$bind$($this$.$scene$.$controller$.$stageController$), $500$); 
    &$gt$; 		//$this$.$capture$();
    &$gt$; 	},
    &$gt$; 
    &$gt$; 
    &$gt$; 	/**
    $749c761$
    &$lt$; 					//$Removed$ $by$ $Scott$ $M$., $6$/$10$/$09$
    ---
    &$gt$; 					//$Do$ $not$ $ever$ $play$ $the$ $sound$!  -$Scott$ $M$.
    $diff$ -$r$ $original$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$camera$/$stylesheets$/$camera$.$css$ $modified$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$camera$/$stylesheets$/$camera$.$css$
    $48a49$,$55$
    &$gt$; .$capture$-$timer$-$button$ {
    &$gt$; 		$width$: $80px$;
    &$gt$; 		$height$: $80px$;
    &$gt$; 		$background$: $url$(../$images$/$menu$-$capture$-$timer$.$png$) $top$ $left$ $no$-$repeat$;
    &$gt$; 		$position$: $absolute$;
    &$gt$; 		$left$: $155px$;
    &$gt$; }
    $54c61$
    &$lt$; 		$left$: $120px$;
    ---
    &$gt$; 		$left$: $85px$;
    $192a200$
    &$gt$; .$camera$-$main$.$up$ .$capture$-$timer$-$button$,
    $202a211$
    &$gt$; .$camera$-$main$.$down$ .$capture$-$timer$-$button$,
    $212a222$
    &$gt$; .$camera$-$main$.$left$ .$capture$-$timer$-$button$,
    $222a233$
    &$gt$; .$camera$-$main$.$right$ .$capture$-$timer$-$button$,
    $242c253$
    &$lt$; }
    \ $No$ $newline$ $at$ $end$ $of$ $file$
    ---
    &$gt$; }
    In addition, you'll need to add the file menu-capture-timer.png -- attached.
    As you can see - these are pretty straight forward changes. With the customization that this OS can provide -- coming up with a proper patch release will be important.

I'd hate to have a user with a bricked phone since they applied patches from more than one person to the same app without a unified approach. Remember the days of PalmOS -- and the extensions manager? That was great - nice chained OS patches... admittedly by function pointer replacement in the lookup table which isn't a 1:1 thing... but still.. there is much to be learned from the past.

_Scott
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    ... take the time to read the wiki, and the logs of the webos-internals IRC channel, you will see that we are able to make non-volatile changes to the filesystem.

-- Rod
    Thanks Rod, I wanted to get through the discussion thread here before moving onto the wiki/IRC logs. I'll start looking at those tomorrrow (when I mean "today"). If I need any password to get onto the IRC, can you PM that to me when you get a chance? I'll also start exploring the "jar"ball more deeply tomorrow.

thanks, -- Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by ydaraishy View Post
    Avoid draining lithium ion batteries (which nearly all consumer devices us), and especially avoid draining them regularly, as it reduces the lifespan of the battery.

They work best when you recharge them often, even if only in little bits.
    I thought the above advice was for NiMH batteries, and that the advice for LiON batteries was that they benefitted by deeper cycling and their life was shortened when presented with short duty cycles. I'd like to know for sure (which is why I sort of brought the question up here). I know in practice, I end up doing a mixture of both (but leaning more towards deep cycling exept when I forsee a period where I might be away from a charger. (Then I get obsessive about keeping it as charged as possible and I throw my duty cycle concerns to the wind!)

thanks
    --
    Bob
    The pre uses a lipo battery. These batteries should never be deep-cycled. If they fall below 50% they will never charge again. Now - remember, the meter on your phone "empty" is in reality 50% of the battery charge. The battery will not let your truly drain it - the phone will shut off first.

My other hobby is building and flying R/C helicopters -- where we use electric batteries which cost several hundred dollars each - so proper care and maintenance is a big issue. If you hit any of the R/C heli forums (ie. helifreak) there is a plethora of information on lipo technology... talk to a few guys who will spend a grand on a battery setup only to crash their heli and destroy the battery!
    OK, so two people have now weighed in against deep cycling. I'll try to avoid the extremes then. thanks, -- Bob

EDIT: This will be my last post of the night. Thanks everyone for your hard and dedicate work so far!
    Last edited by sudoer; 06/11/2009 at 02:43 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by nullity View Post
    I will buy a case of beer for the first person to publish a rom that either:

a) does not contain the Nascar app
    or
    b) allows that steaming pile to be uninstalled
    Ok - so, just since so many of us want applications that we don't like "gone" -- but don't care about the few kb on disk, here's how to get rid yourself from having to see that pesky nascar app.

1. Log into your phone as root (follow the normal steps)
    2. Mount the drive read/write (mount -n -o remount,rw /)
    3. Edit the file "/usr/palm/applications/com.handson.app.nascar/appinfo.json" (I use vi)
    4. Add the "visible": false stanza to hide the application.

Your final appinfo.json should look like:

Code:
    {
            "title": "NASCAR",
            "type": "web",
            "main": "index.html",
            "id": "com.palm.app.nascar",
            "icon": "icon.png",
            "version": "1.3",
            "vendor": "Hands-On Mobile",
            "vendorurl": "http://www.handson.com",
            "visible": false    
    }
    Works for any app in the same way.

_Scott

PS - The Nascar app really isn't that bad... it's the subject matter. If it was an AMLS app I'd probably use it.
    anyone knows of potential issue if leaving the phone in Dev mode?

I read of benefit from scott.
    "Who really needs to multitask on their phone." - PRE-rock
    1. Unzip the webosdoctorp100ewwsprint.jar file
    2. cd to resources\webOS
    3. Open up Targa image file Disk.tga in a graphic program like Paint.NET, Irfan View, etc.

You then see no-other than Shepard Fairey's "OBEY Giant" of Andre' the Giant.

obeygiant.com
    Google for: Shepard Fairey OBEY

Nice job!

BTW, while in the resources\webOS dir, check out Panic.tga, it states:

Your device encountered a fatal error.
    Please connect the device to a PC with a USB cable, and run the following command:

novacom get file://klog > log.txt

and email the resulting lot.txt to:

coreos.kernel at palm.com
    coreos.qa at palm.com

Describe what you were doing when this happened (playing video, music, making a phone call). Also include the build number and which version of hardware you have.

When you're done, remove/reinsert your battery to reboot the device.
    ---
    Later, Mark S.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    I thought the above advice was for NiMH batteries, and that the advice for LiON batteries was that they benefitted by deeper cycling and their life was shortened when presented with short duty cycles.
    Nope. He was correct as far as the battery itself goes. It doesn't have any memory.

However there is a digital memory effect as far as the phone is concerned. It needs to be "recalibrated" every once in a while, but this actually works against the longevity of the battery. Here's a good discussion of it (missing the typical prefixes cuz I'm a noob here):

batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm