Page 28 of 57 FirstFirst ... 18232425262728293031323338 ... LastLast
    I've had several people ask to see my camera app from early this morning. I've uploaded a YouTube video for those that want to see the progress.

The app works well. Frankly, it's reasonably "release" quality. My only hesitation in distributing it is to make sure I don't distribute any Palm intellectual property. I'll post up some diff files, which will let any other developer make the same mods.

I'm also thinking about starting a new ground-up camera app that works a bit differently to add many more improvements.

Have fun everyone!

_Scott
    I love all the great work that has already been done.

So what are the chances of someone putting together a streamlined frontend for some of these tweaks/hacks? I love Cydia for the iPhone/iTouch and think a similar app would be great for the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan3816 View Post
    I don't remember hearing anything about a warranty but I did add insurance to my Pre. Would rooting my Pre void any warranties or the insurance? I don't mind doing it -- I just want to know what I'm getting into.

Also, as we mod the OS to our liking, as in the extended vibrate, will future firmware releases overwrite those changes, or will they most likely remain in the background?
    Sprint has been my only carrier so far (so I don't know about how other carriers act), but I'd say as long as you are smart and cautious about what you do, you should be fine. What will bug me is the people who don't know or aren't willing to learn who brick their phones and then plead ignorance. People should use common sense and stay within their capabilities. Most of the serious hackers won't have to "guess" about things on this platform, so Sprint will probably not see problems like they did on the treos. But the short answer to your question is: as long as you don't open the device, you don't admit to customizing it, and you are capable of restoring it, you should not have any warranty problems. I guess the case where you have a hardware failure that might prevent you from restoring would be your biggest risk.

-- Bob
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Quote Originally Posted by scm6079 View Post
    As my mods work - a firmware update would wipe them out. But keep in mind you are looking at a few hours worth of work - it's still real early in the game.

I love the idea of "tapping out" your vibrate pattern... that would be cool. And totally do-able.

This might be an excuse to get windows users to install cygwin! We could have some simple shell scripts that run ed on diff files to apply patches! The scripts could be made to run on cygwin, linux, and OSX!

--
    Bob
    Another question for those who have much more of a clue than I do. It's been a while since I've messed around with a Linux command line, and so vi and that sort of thing is unfamiliar to me. Is there any way to get sftp working so that I can try editing things in whatever Windows program I like? (I know, I know, Linux is better, but it's what I'm used to. )
    Whoossshh.. finish all 28 pages... Kudos to all sharing the experience... Please Keep them coming.

Here I come rooted.... hopefully it works on vista (
    "Who really needs to multitask on their phone." - PRE-rock
    Quote Originally Posted by atlanta View Post
    Yea it is quite bright lol.
    Maybe it can be marketed as a quick way to discharge your battery! (I'm sort of joking, but there might actually be some merit to the idea.)

Every night, a script initiated via cron can figure out if the device is on the charger, if so, it drains the battery and then allows it to charge before the morning.

The "energy conservationist" in my is a little bothered by the above idea. Perhaps there is some sweet spot where the battery does not have to be cycled every night, or "forever". (Hopefully someone who understands the battery chemistry can chime in on what would be best for battery conditioning.)

--
    Bob
    Bob,

I think for Li-ion battery, you may not need to go to that extreme.

I do know there are devices with batter that will do battery test to completely drain and recharge every 6 mos to ensure battery is in good condition.

It is great if someone can do this let's say every 2 mos or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    Maybe it can be marketed as a quick way to discharge your battery! (I'm sort of joking, but there might actually be some merit to the idea.)

Every night, a script initiated via cron can figure out if the device is on the charger, if so, it drains the battery and then allows it to charge before the morning.

The "energy conservationist" in my is a little bothered by the above idea. Perhaps there is some sweet spot where the battery does not have to be cycled every night, or "forever". (Hopefully someone who understands the battery chemistry can chime in on what would be best for battery conditioning.)

--
    Bob
    Avoid draining lithium ion batteries (which nearly all consumer devices us), and especially avoid draining them regularly, as it reduces the lifespan of the battery.

They work best when you recharge them often, even if only in little bits.
    Quote Originally Posted by lcars123 View Post
    Will someone please work on tethering. I want the pre so badly but can't buy it until this is taken care. I depend on it.
    I wonder what would happen if you called Sprint and asked them to add "phone as a modem" to your billing plan? Seriously: this might be a good advance countermeasure for you to take. (That way, when they say "no, it can't be done, you can say, oh well, too bad - then insist that this is a feature you want, followed by asking them to make a note on your account that you want this feature.) Now when Sprint starts sending you the nasty letters, you have a defense because you have a record that you tried, but that this is not possible. :-)
    oh.. I already try to ask them to add/enable my phone-as-modem.

Their answer: "It is not supported"

Now I have it on my record.
    Last edited by huytrang90; 06/11/2009 at 12:37 AM. Reason: missing
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Another question for those who have much more of a clue than I do. It's been a while since I've messed around with a Linux command line, and so vi and that sort of thing is unfamiliar to me. Is there any way to get sftp working so that I can try editing things in whatever Windows program I like? (I know, I know, Linux is better, but it's what I'm used to. )
    You should be working with backups anyways - in case you break something. Remember - when you are connected via usb - your computer can access the pre's drive. Sooo... do this:

* the /media/internal directory is where your large 8gb storage is -- back up to there like so:
    tar -czvf /media/internal/mybackup.tgz /usr/palm/applications/<whatever you are touching>
    * Then click to use the phone as a usb drive -- and you'll see your tgz file
    * Copy it to your pc, extract and have fun
    * When you are done -- keep a copy of the orginal .tgz file -- copy your new tgz back to the phone via the usb mount
    * Unmount the usb (or the palm pre console can't see it)
    * Now from the command line extract the tgz where you want it.. with tar -xzvf <file>.

Of course you could do this on a file-by-file basis, etc. But you get the idea.

Hope it helps!!

-Scott
    Global Posts
    554 Global Posts
    First thing I did after finally getting this thing rooted:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    http://phwelo.mobi
    for any questions or to send a donation: phwelo@gmail.com
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    /usr/var/preferences/com.palm.power/powerd.conf

[suspend]
    wait_idle_ms = 500
    after_resume_idle_ms = 1000
    wait_suspend_response_ms = 30000
    wait_prepare_suspend_ms = 5000
    suspend_with_charger = false

Is this why touchstone keeps the pre on?
    I see from the pre dev wiki that the following novacom command can be used to get a file from the Pre filesystem:

Code:
    novacom get file://klog > log.txt
    I'm looking at the command parser for novacom (from the root filesystem), and see a table that looks like this:

Code:
    get file novacom_start_file_send
    put file novacom_start_file_receive
    connect tcp-port novacom_start_tcp_connect
    open tty novacom_spawn_shell
    run file novacom_spawn_process
    All of the "novacom_" strings are names of functions that get called with arguments that were passed to the appropriate commands.

I don't have a Pre, so can't test any of this. Would someone mind giving some of these a try?

Looking at the code, it appears that you may be able to get 'shell' access via novacom using:

Code:
    novacom open tty
    (you may need "tty://", and you may need to pass an additional arg)

And, you may be able to execute an app (or Unix command) with:

Code:
    novacom run file /bin/ls
    (you may need "file://" instead of "file ")

Please let me know your results! (if it doesn't work, please pass along the error messages)

- Paulb
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post

--
    Bob
    The pre uses a lipo battery. These batteries should never be deep-cycled. If they fall below 50% they will never charge again. Now - remember, the meter on your phone "empty" is in reality 50% of the battery charge. The battery will not let your truly drain it - the phone will shut off first.

My other hobby is building and flying R/C helicopters -- where we use electric batteries which cost several hundred dollars each - so proper care and maintenance is a big issue. If you hit any of the R/C heli forums (ie. helifreak) there is a plethora of information on lipo technology... talk to a few guys who will spend a grand on a battery setup only to crash their heli and destroy the battery!
    Quote Originally Posted by scm6079 View Post
    You should be working with backups anyways - in case you break something. Remember - when you are connected via usb - your computer can access the pre's drive. Sooo... do this:

* the /media/internal directory is where your large 8gb storage is -- back up to there like so:
    tar -czvf /media/internal/mybackup.tgz /usr/palm/applications/<whatever you are touching>
    * Then click to use the phone as a usb drive -- and you'll see your tgz file
    * Copy it to your pc, extract and have fun
    * When you are done -- keep a copy of the orginal .tgz file -- copy your new tgz back to the phone via the usb mount
    * Unmount the usb (or the palm pre console can't see it)
    * Now from the command line extract the tgz where you want it.. with tar -xzvf <file>.
    Yeah, that makes sense, hadn't thought of that. It'd still be more convenient if I could sftp into it and just do everything that way, but this will definitely work, thanks.
    Has anyone started working on the Bluetooth stack?

I drive a BMW 335i -- and I was terribly disappointed to find out that the address book did not synchronize with my car (with my other phones, the car syncs via bt to the address book - and lets you voice control, get caller id, browse your address book,etc. from the car entertainment system). It would pair for the "headset" profile only.

Well - I was driving home from work today when my wife called - and lo-and-behold her name comes up in my caller id on my car! Whoo hoo! The only change, I had my pre in developer mode today.

It seems that the BT server changes when the phone is in developer mode... Odd, but not impossible I suppose. I was considering that there may be something as simple as longer timeouts depending on mode which may have an effect.

I was wondering if there was anyone else on the board here that was interested in the BT stack/programs - or had any constructive thoughts? I have not gone very far in researching this one yet - as it was a pleasant surprise to me tonight.

I'd love to hear from anyone on this one!

Thanks,
    _Scott
    (First post. Also wanting of the tetherball.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mobile Stream View Post
    No. We are not going to sell modified /usr/bin/TelephonyInterfaceLayerCdma or tweaked iptables scripts.

One should get the disassembler, find the tel.settetheredmode message handler and change it to ignore NAI switch request. This should unlock Bluetooth PAN.

Further, one may look at passthrud for USB tethering.
    You probably know this, but it seems the binary '/usr/lib/libMA_PhoneInterfaceLib.so' contains the function PhnLibSetTetheredMode among other interesting things. Curse the binary though.

Quote Originally Posted by Irix View Post
    I'm looking for the NAI switching code now. As it should be pretty noticable NAI~modem.sprintpcs.com or NAI ~modem.sprint.comvs NAI~sprint.com

~ = "at" symbol. I don't have enough posts to use the "at" symbol it thinks those are email addys.
    And you may be interested in '/usr/lib/modem/castlecdma_evt1_fw.tar'. Inside of that is the file '/tmp/castle_cdma/02.PRI' (again binary) that has boatloads of Sprint provisioning data it seems.

Dunno if that's helpful and I haven't caught up entirely yet. But cheers, all!
    Quote Originally Posted by PreGame View Post
    I like to play tetherball
    I do too.