webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Developers >  webOS Development > OK ROM comes
OK ROM comes
  Closed Thread

Old 06/10/2009, 05:44 PM   #481 (permalink)

hmm so the channel has 103 members now? last night it had 7. geeeeze. i guess we made good progress last night and people caught on :P
Old 06/10/2009, 05:52 PM   #482 (permalink)

Has anyone already got the webOS emulated with Qemu, that someone mentioned?

I downloaded Qemu and installed it, but I don't know the settings like:
- platform
- disk image type
- what file is the kernel
- what else settings

So if anybody already did that, can you tell me?!
Thanks
Old 06/10/2009, 05:59 PM   #483 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monitron View Post
Hey guys,

First of all, huge props to everyone who's worked on this so far. You guys are amazing.

Here's a little trick I've just figured out by looking at the source of the messaging app. By connecting with novacom and using the following command line, you can send text messages from your computer:

/usr/bin/luna-send -n 1 "palm://com.palm.messaging/sendMessageFromCompose" '{"recipientJSONArray": "[ {\"value\":\"InsertPhoneNumberHere\"} ]" ,"messageText":"Hello there!"}'

The sent messages even show up in the Messaging app as normal. Lots of operations can presumably be accomplished this way by looking at the app/models directories in the built-in apps.

Hope this helps someone,
Justin
That's fantastic! I was looking for a luna frontend. I was trying to use wget or curl to send messages to palm:// or luna:// but neither of those options went anywhere.

+1 in my book!
Old 06/10/2009, 06:02 PM   #484 (permalink)
Pre Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRemorse View Post
I understand what's been done, how it's done, and what not. I use the term 'hacking' loosely, as pretty much everyone's interpretation of the word is different. Although altering a product to do what it couldn't when you purchased it though, most hackers would consider hacking.

I am an extreme tinkerer, who likes to leave my mark on what I can, make my belongings fit my personality. I don't want to spend a few hours trying to work on this phone, only to lose it when an update is pushed onto the phone.

I'll probably dive in a bit more and have an active role when I get a little less busy at work (next week)
If you edit programs and such they should be backed up nightly so when an update is deployed all you have to do is re-download your backup.
Old 06/10/2009, 06:09 PM   #485 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreGame View Post
When running the python for windows root i get this err

ValueError: invalid literal for int() with base 10:
I'm getting this same error; how did you get past this?

I would've PM'd you but I just signed up for the forum about 10 secs ago.

Thanks.
Old 06/10/2009, 06:17 PM   #486 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash67 View Post
<<edited by berd >>
There's already an IRC channel people are congregating to. Starting your own IRC channel will not make you famous. How about we stick to one channel?

I believe it's #webos-internals on freenode

Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 06/10/2009 at 06:30 PM.
Old 06/10/2009, 06:20 PM   #487 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLOM View Post
There's already an IRC channel people are congregating to. Starting your own IRC channel will not make you famous. How about we stick to one channel?

I believe it's #webos-internals on freenode
I think his point is that they want to be more gray hat (or black hat) than webos-internals. We're trying to stay completely legit, as is the predev wiki.
Old 06/10/2009, 06:21 PM   #488 (permalink)

Quick and dirty wiki page. I couldn't add because I wasn't authorized. Here is the write-up :

1. Root your phone

2. Format the sound you would like to the following specs (I used Audacity):
WAV
PCM
44.1kHz
16-bit

3. Name the file "notification.wav"

Copy the ringtone onto the USB memory section, let's just use the root directory to keep it simple.

4. Run this command to mount filesystem:

mount -o remount,rw /

5. Create a backup of the original sound (just in case) in your usb media path:

cd /media/internal/
md prebackup
cd prebackup
cp /usr/palm/sounds/notification.wav .

6. Delete the old file and copy the new:

cd /usr/palm/sounds
rm notification.wav
cp /media/internal/notification.wav .

7. Remount filesystem as Read-Only:

mount -o remount,ro /

DONE! No reboot required.
Thanked by Kaerey, RickNY, tuckmobile
Old 06/10/2009, 06:21 PM   #489 (permalink)

The Web-OS Internals Room is for talk about legal modification etc. Anyone looking to hack the living crap out of the device, or to infringe on palms property should go to the other channel, I think thats what is being said here.

" Discussion of legally-obtained information about the internals of webOS and the Linux platform on which it runs. This channel is publicly logged at I cant post links because i dont have 10 posts yet, and Palm actively monitors this channel for legal purposes. Honor all NDAs and license agreements and Palm code copyrights when speaking here."
From the top of Webos Interenals IRC
Old 06/10/2009, 06:24 PM   #490 (permalink)
Pre Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinge View Post
I'm getting this same error; how did you get past this?

I would've PM'd you but I just signed up for the forum about 10 secs ago.

Thanks.
Install the .msi and python then connect your phone to your PC via the USB cable and select "Just Charge". Then open up the cmd prompt and run the talk.py script.

After that you should be able to telnet either via WiFi if your using atlanta's script or if you are using the wiki's then you can telnet via the Sprint IP which you can get by going to whatismyip.com on your sprint phone.

EDIT: After running the script and seeing all the Get / Expected and you still cannot telnet then reboot your Pre
Thanked By: zinge
Old 06/10/2009, 06:27 PM   #491 (permalink)

So why did the IRC room go invite only?
Old 06/10/2009, 06:27 PM   #492 (permalink)

Are you in the web-os internals room by chance? I need an invite

nick: LarrySteeze
Old 06/10/2009, 06:28 PM   #493 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by optik678 View Post
Quick and dirty wiki page. I couldn't add because I wasn't authorized. Here is the write-up :

1. Root your phone

2. Format the sound you would like to the following specs (I used Audacity):
WAV
PCM
44.1kHz
16-bit

3. Name the file "notification.wav"

Copy the ringtone onto the USB memory section, let's just use the root directory to keep it simple.

4. Run this command to mount filesystem:

mount -o remount,rw /

5. Create a backup of the original sound (just in case) in your usb media path:

cd /media/internal/
md prebackup
cd prebackup
cp /usr/palm/sounds/notification.wav .

6. Delete the old file and copy the new:

cd /usr/palm/sounds
rm notification.wav
cp /media/internal/notification.wav .

7. Remount filesystem as Read-Only:

mount -o remount,ro /

DONE! No reboot required.
i wish there was a cab file "alike" that we could just copy to phone and install. is this way possible with this phone?
Old 06/10/2009, 06:28 PM   #494 (permalink)

Has anyone tried "ipkg remove com.handson.app.nascar" yet? (Please correct me if my ipkg command is wrong, I've never used ipkg before.)

It would be great if it was that easy to get rid of it.

I only run linux on my computers so I don't have root (yet).
Old 06/10/2009, 06:31 PM   #495 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Yeah why did it go invite only? and Sargun and nebula were demoted
Old 06/10/2009, 06:31 PM   #496 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Its back up now
Old 06/10/2009, 06:46 PM   #497 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbern8 View Post
In castlecdma_evt1_fw.tar are all the qualcomm files, the prl switched, and then flashed, and the PRI looks like it might not be too hard to edit.
Oh yeah that'd be the way to go then, plug in your own VZW PRL and configure the baseband to have no sublock and bam, VZW Pre!

I might go get one this weekend to start messing around as well, this is awesome!
Old 06/10/2009, 07:02 PM   #498 (permalink)

Quote:
Install the .msi and python then connect your phone to your PC via the USB cable and select "Just Charge". Then open up the cmd prompt and run the talk.py script.

After that you should be able to telnet either via WiFi if your using atlanta's script or if you are using the wiki's then you can telnet via the Sprint IP which you can get by going to whatismyip.com on your sprint phone.

EDIT: After running the script and seeing all the Get / Expected and you still cannot telnet then reboot your Pre
I'm still getting
ValueError: invalid literal for int() with base 10: ''
when I run the talk.py. Once it ran and I got the other error you were getting about the connection being interupted by the host, so I turned off Windows Firewall and tried to run talk.py again but I keep getting ValueError: invalid literal for int() with base 10: ''.

Any other ideas?

Sorry, somehow I seem to be incompetant.

Edit: Now getting got/expecteds and this error:
error: [Errno 10053] An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine

Newest Update: Thanks PreGame! Just kept running the python script over and over and finally got all the way through without any errors. Not sure what was going on, but it seemed like it worked now. I'll try telnetting now and see if I can get in.

Last edited by zinge; 06/10/2009 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Updated info
Old 06/10/2009, 07:21 PM   #499 (permalink)
Pre Developer

Glad to hear its workin
Old 06/10/2009, 07:31 PM   #500 (permalink)

Quote:
Glad to hear its workin
I really should try things BEFORE I post.... cannot telnet either over WiFi or EVDO.

Tried restarting the Pre, then connecting... no dice. Checked to see if developer mode is still on, and it is. Tried to run the talk.py script again, and most of the time I get the "int() with base 10 error", every one in a while I get the "error: [Errno 10061] No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it" error. All firewalls are off. The Pre is connected through USB and "Just Charging". When I try to telnet, I'm using port 23.

Is there anything I'm missing here?
Closed Thread

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0