Page 24 of 57 FirstFirst ... 14192021222324252627282934 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lcars123 View Post
    Try This:

One should get the disassembler, find the tel.settetheredmode message handler and change it to ignore NAI switch request. This should unlock Bluetooth PAN.

Further, one may look at passthrud for USB tethering.
    I'm looking for the NAI switching code now. As it should be pretty noticable NAI~modem.sprintpcs.com or NAI ~modem.sprint.comvs NAI~sprint.com

~ = "at" symbol. I don't have enough posts to use the "at" symbol it thinks those are email addys.
    Quote Originally Posted by PreGame View Post
    ROFL you should work at my company! That is what the support team always says first thing "... Did you check the wiki???"
    No thanks. i like my current job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irix View Post
    I'm looking for the NAI switching code now. As it should be pretty noticable NAI~modem.sprintpcs.com or NAI ~modem.sprint.comvs NAI~sprint.com

~ = "at" symbol. I don't have enough posts to use the "at" symbol it thinks those are email addys.
    Great I hope you can find it. The ability to tether is the only thing holding me back from getting this phone.
    for anyone that's gotten the tethering to work via usb does it also charge the phones battery?
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lcars123 View Post
    Great I hope you can find it. The ability to tether is the only thing holding me back from getting this phone.
    It'll happen, I've already made the phone tether in other ways.
    Quote Originally Posted by victorkruger View Post
    for anyone that's gotten the tethering to work via usb does it also charge the phones battery?
    Haven't gotten it to work yet.
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    I like to play tetherball
    Quote Originally Posted by tictac View Post
    We are working on getting this to work, however it doesn't seem like there are drivers files in the original package. I will do some more research later tonight if I have time after posting how-tos on the wiki.
    I'll be on IRC doing the same tonight, I still haven't achieved root, but I wont cheat and use one of my Windows rigs. I'm hoping tonight we can get this locked down. I already have some plans for that placeholder Sprint gave me, I believe they labeled it NASCAR...
    since i cant IRC at work and im currently refreshing the irc logs to see stay updated.. ill give my current goals.

* howtos on wiki for various tweaks (camera settings, etc)
    * terminal in WebOS
    * linux root access
    * network changes from within WebOS (firewall, etc)
    * SSH access from OTA
    * tethering support
    Quote Originally Posted by tictac View Post
    We are working on getting this to work, however it doesn't seem like there are drivers files in the original package. I will do some more research later tonight if I have time after posting how-tos on the wiki.
    Thanks for the effort.

Just curious, if I root the pre under windows and open up the firewall for port 23, will i still need novacom for anything? (ie, could I telnet in from my linux box).
    as long as you enable the "backdoor" script, then theoretically no. i do not like telnet, however and will be focused on a ssh app first
    Hey guys,

First of all, huge props to everyone who's worked on this so far. You guys are amazing.

Here's a little trick I've just figured out by looking at the source of the messaging app. By connecting with novacom and using the following command line, you can send text messages from your computer:

/usr/bin/luna-send -n 1 "palm://com.palm.messaging/sendMessageFromCompose" '{"recipientJSONArray": "[ {\"value\":\"InsertPhoneNumberHere\"} ]" ,"messageText":"Hello there!"}'

The sent messages even show up in the Messaging app as normal. Lots of operations can presumably be accomplished this way by looking at the app/models directories in the built-in apps.

Hope this helps someone,
    Justin
    I have a question for you all. I have to admit, I have only ready about 1/2 of the posts in this thread.

What happens when Palm forces down an update?

I would be hacking into my phone right now if I thought it would stick after an update. And even if you were able to disable the OTA updates, I think that Palm will have a lot of featuers we want in the next few, and would hate to miss out on them.
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NoRemorse View Post
    I have a question for you all. I have to admit, I have only ready about 1/2 of the posts in this thread.

I would be hacking into my phone right now if I thought it would stick after an update. And even if you were able to disable the OTA updates, I think that Palm will have a lot of featuers we want in the next few, and would hate to miss out on them.
    No one is really "HACKING" the phone right now. We are merely viewing the contents to see how it works. Yes some people have edited "SOME" of the scripts which annoy them such as the alert time and camera settings but nothing more than that. The things that people have edited are more than likely to be "UPDATED/FIXED" by the next patch so I don't think anyone is worried to much. I am guessing that the updates only update programs that are affected by the update. So if you create a custom app or .sh file then you should be good on it not getting overwritten.
    Quote Originally Posted by NoRemorse View Post

I pondered that earlier in this thread, and honestly I don't think many of the changes made here would survive the update considering most are dealing with core files. However, anyone devising an actual app to make those changes directly from the app may actually see some of those options they've crafted persist.
    The things that people have edited are more than likely to be "UPDATED/FIXED" by the next patch so I don't think anyone is worried to much.
    Also, this. ^
    I've been trying to extract the IPK files, they are in debian .deb format. This could be the key to distributing native applications. Here is the ar output:

rw-r--r-- 1000/10000 4 May 22 16:08 2009 debian-binary/
    rw-r--r-- 1000/10000 542382 May 22 16:08 2009 data.tar.gz/
    rw-r--r-- 1000/10000 4241 May 22 16:08 2009 control.tar.gz/
    Along the same lines, I wonder if Palm will be releasing this tool for every update, or just to the original 1.0.2 so that you can reflash back to that and re-update. Might make sense to just leave it at 1.0.2 so that when they get proprietary stuff such as Flash supported, that it can't be accessed as easily for all to see.
    No one is really "HACKING" the phone right now. We are merely viewing the contents to see how it works. Yes some people have edited "SOME" of the scripts which annoy them such as the alert time and camera settings but nothing more than that. The things that people have edited are more than likely to be "UPDATED/FIXED" by the next patch so I don't think anyone is worried to much. I am guessing that the updates only update programs that are affected by the update. So if you create a custom app or .sh file then you should be good on it not getting overwritten.
    I understand what's been done, how it's done, and what not. I use the term 'hacking' loosely, as pretty much everyone's interpretation of the word is different. Although altering a product to do what it couldn't when you purchased it though, most hackers would consider hacking.

I am an extreme tinkerer, who likes to leave my mark on what I can, make my belongings fit my personality. I don't want to spend a few hours trying to work on this phone, only to lose it when an update is pushed onto the phone.

I'll probably dive in a bit more and have an active role when I get a little less busy at work (next week)
    Quote Originally Posted by edoan View Post
    Further evidence of a GSM Palm Pre coming: /usr/lib/modem/

So with UMTS, the Pre could match iPhone 3GS's 7.2 Mbps HSDPA downlink speed.
    That's only if they choose a similarly capable radio to go along with the UMTS drivers. Presence of UMTS doesn't necessarily mean it'll be 7.2 HSDPA.