Page 20 of 57 FirstFirst ... 10151617181920212223242530 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobile Stream View Post
    Well, it seems the tethering is as simple as setting a "bx lr" in the /bin/TelephonyInterfaceLayerCdma:SetTetheredMode implementation.
    Can anyone try this?
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    thanks for the link
    is the sdk available also?
    at least as torrent or rapidshare anywhere? can't find it
    You guys need to get a life.

I kid!

Kudos to all (especially Scott), Cheetos and Jolt for everyone!

Now get back to work! I expect the center button to flash for notifications by COB.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Quote Originally Posted by rishio View Post
    This sounds like really bad news for Palm. I suppose it means all their competitors now have the source? Does it also make it easier to develop viruses? I'm just curious of the implications - I'd like Palm to stay in business!
    WebOS is Linux-based, which means (a) it's open source and therefore (b) customers have the right to request and receive full source code. That's the point of open source. {ProfJonathan}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by many_miles View Post
    This mod is not working for me.

I see that in my code is says:
    // check if we should only play a sound (when you are already in a chat & a new message comes in)

Do I have to be in a chat and a new message comes in? Does the silence switch position matter?

Should I be replacing line 129 with the two you have?

Kudos to all of you for getting me/us this far!
    The alerts will only happen when you are NOT in chat.

You need to add those two lines after line 129. This will result in three alerts spaced 1 second apart.

-Vince
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mmmsteak View Post
    Thankfully Palm is kind enough to correct me when I'm SMSing (hopefully not MMSing) about my wiener.

.\etc\palm\autoreplace\en_us\

Is there some sort of open source autocorrect txt file somewhere we could use to replace this? I ask because I recall one of the dings in one of the Pre reviews talked about the Pre's somewhat paltry autocorrect glossary, and this seems to be a route to an easy fix.

Update: Found a possible source, but cannot post links yet: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Lists_of_common_misspellings
    Last edited by aldrydd; 06/10/2009 at 11:20 AM. Reason: New Info
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfJonathan View Post
    WebOS is Linux-based, which means (a) it's open source and therefore (b) customers have the right to request and receive full source code. That's the point of open source. {ProfJonathan}
    Yes and no. It is Linux-based, but they don't have to hand over all the source code for WebOS if someone asks. They only have to provide any GPL'd code or modifications to the GPL'd code. Any other modification to the OS which they wrote from scratch, or that they modified from non-GPL code, they don't have to provide.

So no, you could not say "Palm, give me the WebOS source code". You could say "Provide me with the source code to anything covered under the GPL". Although this would be a large amount of code, most of it is already available. It would also not be nearly enough to re-create WebOS from. There is a lot of proprietary software in there which they do not have to give you.
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    Has anyone figured a way to root the phone via USB and not WiFi for XP?
    Thanks for the response.

Quote Originally Posted by VinceV View Post
    The alerts will only happen when you are NOT in chat.

You need to add those two lines after line 129. This will result in three alerts spaced 1 second apart.

-Vince
    Still not happening on my end...

Here's my updated section:
    Code:
            if(notificationData.get('playSoundOnly') &&          this.Messaging.messagingPrefs.enableNotificationSound) {
                    this.controller.playSoundNotification('alerts','');   
                    setTimeout( function(){ this.controller.playSoundNotification('alerts', ''); }, 1000 );
                    setTimeout( function(){ this.controller.playSoundNotification('alerts', ''); }, 2000 );
                    return; // don't display any visual notification
            }
    Perhaps someone sees something I don't? Perhaps I have a diff version of OS?

When I do 129G in vi, I go to the first SetTimeout... line above.

My notification-assistant.jsjsjs $file$ $is$ $now$ $547$ $lines$ $long$ $according$ $to$ $wc$ -$l$
    Working smoke detectors save lives.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rposa View Post
    With this root attack on windows using Python (and thus being able to telnet to the device) ---

What about security over the cell ppp link, or did you just disable the firewall on the wireless?

How to restore some semblance of security, or does the attack go away on reboot / turning off of dev mode ?

thanks!
    right - with switching in developer mode they opened the ports in the firewall, which are normally closed. Was mentioned earlier in this thread.

hertzi
    Global Posts
    337 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PreGame View Post
    Has anyone figured a way to root the phone via USB and not WiFi for XP?
    The rooting process is done over USB. then u change the parameters and make it work over wifi... it works flawlessly in XP just did it and got everything i needed. Trying to make a flash light app now.
    Global Posts
    337 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hertzi View Post
    right - with switching in developer mode they opened the ports in the firewall, which are normally closed. Was mentioned earlier in this thread.

hertzi
    I edited the iptables the guy had in the wiki to only happen over eth0 which is the wifi link
    Global Posts
    337 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aldrydd View Post
    Is there some sort of open source autocorrect txt file somewhere we could use to replace this? I ask because I recall one of the dings in one of the Pre reviews talked about the Pre's somewhat paltry autocorrect glossary, and this seems to be a route to an easy fix.

Update: Found a possible source, but cannot post links yet: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Lists_of_common_misspellings
    I heard the iphones is pretty good so im on the hunt to look for a good list to overwrite the pre..
    only about 2,475 words in the PRe
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by atlanta View Post
    The rooting process is done over USB. then u change the parameters and make it work over wifi... it works flawlessly in XP just did it and got everything i needed. Trying to make a flash light app now.
    I can't seem to get it to work. So you can either work via USB or WiFi? I thought you had to use wifi because you had to telnet. I would like to be able to edit the files via USB as I am at work and cannot connect to the wifi network.

When I was running the talk.py the Got and Expected matched all the way up until loop41.

I then tried to telnet but no luck (I tried this at home when I was connected to wifi)

Any tips?
    Quote Originally Posted by iphony View Post
    you can change javascript, might reverse engineer some jar file
    but no header, no native app

Can we get ask a copy of all open source file (headers) from palm? So we can actually do something.
    Per the open source license available from Palm here comes this:
    To obtain a copy of any source code being made publicly available by Palm, Inc. (“Palm”) related to software used in this Palm mobile device
    (“Device”) or to obtain the latest version of this document, you should visit Welcome to opensource.palm.com - Palm or send your request in writing to:
    Palm Inc.
    Attention: Open Source Compliance
    950 W. Maude Ave
    Sunnyvale, CA 94085
    USA
    The packages aren't yet available for download, so it seems like the written request is the way to go. {ProfJonathan}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
    Fair enough. As per the license, the following elements are covered by GPL:

libgpg-error (only certain files are licensed under GPL), linux-hotplug, libsamplerate0, fuse, freefont, vpnc, sysfsutils, iptables, dosfstools, alsa-plugins,
    busybox, ipkg, netbase, oprofile, pmeloop, alsa-utils, PPP (only certain files are licensed under GPL), readline, setserial, upstart-initscripts, e2fsprogs (only
    certain files are licensed under GPL), module-init-tools-cross, module-init-tool, base-passwd, iproute2, usbmon, mupdf, libpurple, makedevs, updatemodules,
    fnmbl-clientapi, netcat, gdbm, cifs, rsync, update-rc.d, upstart, wireless-tools, udev, bootchart, fbset, dnsmasq, binutils, libgcrypt (only certain
    files are licensed under GPL), libfuse, Sysvinit, Linux Kernel, pulseaudio, procps, psmisc, mtools, UN Batang Korean True Type Font
    {ProfJonathan}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    Can anyone please check about additional Bluetooth profiles? Are they running the Bluez Bluetooth stack?

AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $the$ $Pre$ $cannot$ ($yet$) $send$ $something$ ($contacts$, $images$, $mp3$) $over$ $Bluetooth$, $but$ $the$ $older$ $Palms$ $can$.
    This would be the OBEX-Push Bluetooth profile.

Also, the rSAP or SAP profile would be useful (for some cars).

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    337 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PreGame View Post
    I can't seem to get it to work. So you can either work via USB or WiFi? I thought you had to use wifi because you had to telnet. I would like to be able to edit the files via USB as I am at work and cannot connect to the wifi network.

When I was running the talk.py the Got and Expected matched all the way up until loop41.

I then tried to telnet but no luck (I tried this at home when I was connected to wifi)

Any tips?
    Well yea you need the wifi aspect to telnet after you get it rooted through usb so you will have to wait until you get home
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pyrognome View Post
    I may sound like a tool, but scott could you explain the steps you took to get into the phone. I am extremely interested in making changes like yours.
    hi,

for windows there is a wiki page: h t t p : / / predev . wikidot . com / rooting
    (for mac there was one too, but looks like it is gone...- and looks like the original post "We have root" too - or am I just blind)
    anyway the rest is explained here:

Quote Originally Posted by scm6079 View Post
    Whoo hoo!!!

My first application works!! I'm so excited! It's just a pretty "hello world" application with a few simple command tests - but hey - it's a working application on the pre!

Here are the steps I took:
    * Enable dev mode, log in as root
    * Remount the / partition for read write with the command:
    mount -n -o remount,rw /
    * Started by picking an application I didn't care much about - i choose the nascar app.
    * Found that application's directory: /usr/palm/applications/com.handson.app.nascar/
    * remove the imports for stuff I didn't need/want
    * created a new home view that displays my app
    * Added controller / additional code as needed (for me just a couple functions, mostly copied from other apps)
    * Saved all the changes. I edited the files on the device with vi.
    * Rebooted my phone
    * started the application by clicking on the existing application icon.
    * Sat back and smiled as my simple application worked.

The api in the jsjsjs $really$ $seems$ $pretty$ $nice$. $Palm$ $did$ $a$ $good$ $job$. $Honestly$, $this$ $is$ $much$ $cleaner$ $than$ $when$ $I$ $was$ $going$ $through$ $the$ $earlier$ $palm$ $os$ $stuff$ $for$ $my$ $i500$ / $i330$ $apps$.

_Scott
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by atlanta View Post
    Well yea you need the wifi aspect to telnet after you get it rooted through usb so you will have to wait until you get home
    Roger, Maybe I can use the IP given through the cell tower. Did you create the script? If so can we not modify the script that opens the port to do the editing for us?

Also any idea why the Got and Expected is not matching after line 41?