Page 2 of 57 FirstFirst 12345671252 ... LastLast
    This could come in handy if people figure out how to alter the ROM since it has the ability to flash said ROM to your phone.
    Nice. I feel like I'm sort of in the loop now.
    I'm going to check it out in a minute.
    The question (aside from the whole gaining access to hidden files thing) is whether anyone would risk their shiny new Pre in the name of science
    Mojo's in there and it's using Prototype 1.6.0; it does an explicit check for this version before proceeding.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    BWAHAHAHAHA!!! I love source code / unpolished release stuff

# modified: 090127 by xxxx
    setbit 0x02 0xff
    # what the hell does this do?
    setbit 0x92 0x40
    Quote Originally Posted by neodorian View Post
    The question (aside from the whole gaining access to hidden files thing) is whether anyone would risk their shiny new Pre in the name of science
    No, I'm going to be intelligent about it and find out how it works first.

vanadium's right, though. The program seems to use Java for a frontend app ad some tools, while it uses another program (NovaCommand?) that runs a script to execute the flashing process. I'm going to investigate how it communicates with the Pre.

A root image of webOS is definitely there.

EDIT: radio rom files for CDMA and utms as well. Might be able to go on to Verizon maybe but I don't really care about that.

webOS has a JVM though!
    Last edited by ShinAli; 06/09/2009 at 04:19 PM.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    @ShinAli - you think? :P

Yet more comments - this from the camera app.

/**
    * Set-up stuff that we don't want to do until we've brought up preview ... it _should_ help
    * give the illusion that the app started fast!
    */

I'd cause to wonder -- if this isn't why like if you go into the music player it sets up the view but takes a second or two longer..

Yeah it'd have to be, wouldn't it..
    Mojo's definitely JavaScript/HTML/CSS/JSON-based with a bunch of core JSJSJS $libraries$ $linking$ $down$ $to$ $lower$-$level$ $functions$ $to$ $be$ $utilized$. $Fascinating$.

(Hurry up SDK.)
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    I wouldn't be surprised if they use the JVM to launch native apps like GPS or Classic from a "Card" which is basically going through webkit.

Homebrew and the Pre is my dream! also this loader could be used to flash Android on to the Pre. Maybe even Dual Boot. Oh no I didn't.....
    ^^ JVM doesn't mean native. I'm absolutely sure Classic is developed with pure native code and a little bit of Mojo. EDIT: or you mean launching the actual native program? Maybe, I'd have to take a look. I'm sure Mojo handles that still, though. The info file of a Mojo program lets you specify what architecture the program is meant for, "all" being for any webOS device if the program is developed only in Mojo.

NovaComm that came with the flashing program has a LOT of control over a connected device. I might be able to write a special "shell" in java that connects to the Pre that lets you run linux commands and the like. A temporary solution until we get SSH.

EDIT: to clarify, I was wrong about NovaCommand. It looks like drivers for the Pre to allow more than just usb drive access.
    Last edited by ShinAli; 06/09/2009 at 05:15 PM.
    Downloading and celebrating. I was looking for something like this last night. Something just like this...
    I would appreciate it if people document their findings here: pre p0wn wiki: Welcome to the Pre p0wn wiki
    Not trying to steal traffic from here but a wiki keeps the info much more organized. The password to join for write access is "hackthepre". Thanks everyone. Keep up the hard work. A great next step would be instructions for building and restoring images.
    Soooo.. Can I go to sleep and wake up expecting ssh root access, tethering and custom roms ?
    I'll write into it while I discover lots more little things.
    Soooo.. Can I go to sleep and wake up expecting ssh root access, tethering and custom roms ?
    I'll write into it while I discover lots more little things.

EDIT: That double post was weird, but anyway...

I think it'd be useful if we had a forum specially made for hacking. That way we don't have one thread to clutter up.

Though people that aren't really working on hacking this thing could make a million posts there asking how to get root and run android on the Pre...
    Last edited by ShinAli; 06/09/2009 at 05:38 PM.
    How come you get to sleep and we don't? Hehe. Thanks ShinAli. I was just looking at the user accounts on the system in the passwd file. Interesting that there is an irc user and daemon.
    Quote Originally Posted by neodorian View Post
    I am willing I just don't know if I have enough experience for it to be effective.
Page 2 of 57 FirstFirst 12345671252 ... LastLast