Page 19 of 57 FirstFirst ... 9141516171819202122232429 ... LastLast
    I may sound like a tool, but scott could you explain the steps you took to get into the phone. I am extremely interested in making changes like yours.
    Care to explain where that file is located? That it totally editable. I would be nice to add other search site there.
    Possibly a stupid question coming...

I have an HTC touch, could it be possible to run the webOS on it or other devices? Just like I can run android on it now. The resolution is different so not sure what support there might be to handle that in the code now.

btw, you guys are doing some cool stuff, loved reading it all so far.
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    When running the python for windows root i get this err

ValueError: invalid literal for int() with base 10:
    Will someone please work on tethering. I want the pre so badly but can't buy it until this is taken care. I depend on it.
    dropbear is already installed?

If so, do we know the rootpw or can we add users with a passwd so we can disallow root logins if there isn't a rootpw?

I don't like the idea of having my lovely Pre accessible to anyone on my network, I work with some interesting cats and they would surely like to have root on my phone via wifi.
    Quote Originally Posted by -wireless- View Post
    I believe the wiki has changed now.
    predev.wikidot.com is what you want.

Cheers
    Given that the Pre identifies itself as castle, this really should have been "stormthecastle.wikidot.com".

I expect it changed immediately.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinZ View Post
    I just noticed in /etc/palm/luna.conf the following Launcher settings:

DisplayWidth=320
    DisplayHeight=480
    DisplayNumBuffers=3

I wonder if DisplayNumBuffers is the number of Launcher pages and if we can get more by increasing this number.
    Oh crap. I tried making it 4 and I might have bricked my phone Stuck at the Palm screen for a few minutes. For those that are wondering how to make edits, you must remount / as read-write:

mount -o remount,rw /

Be careful though! Anyone wanna tell me how to reimage my phone?

Quote Originally Posted by PreGame View Post
    When running the python for windows root i get this err

ValueError: invalid literal for int() with base 10:
    Try using cygwin and make sure to install python during setup.
    Quote Originally Posted by prochobo View Post
    Be careful though! Anyone wanna tell me how to reimage my phone?
    Running the originally posted JAR (just double click to launch) should begin the reimage process.
    Quote Originally Posted by lcars123 View Post
    Will someone please work on tethering. I want the pre so badly but can't buy it until this is taken care. I depend on it.
    Since it's Linux, it's already built-in:
    - just add a forwarding/masquerading/NAT rule in Pre's iptables
    - connect the pre to you Wifi router
    - set the default gateway of your computer to point to your Pre'IP.
    Quote Originally Posted by ldrolez View Post
    i think he means to use tethering using sprint's network not via wifi
    Quote Originally Posted by victorkruger View Post
    Yes, if you're connected to the sprint network, it would just work like I said.

Your computer ---wifi---> Pre ---> sprint network.
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by victorkruger View Post
    Ok, just bridge ppp0 to wlan0 or bnep0 (Bluetooth). Mobilestream is probably already working on this since they came up with the excellent USB Modem back in the day.
    I need a way to go directly from my computer ---> Pre ---> Internet. either via bluetooth or usb.
    In that case you could just use a wifi "ad-hoc" cnx instead of connecting to a wifi router (if webos supports ad-hoc networks)
    I tether right now using my Instinct via usb cable (I could use bluetooth but choose not to). I am able to use my phone as a modem, set up a windows dial up connection, dial #777 and boom i can surf the web anywhere at 3g speeds. This is what I need.
    Quote Originally Posted by edoan View Post
    Ok, just bridge ppp0 to wlan0 or bnep0 (Bluetooth). Mobilestream is probably already working on this since they came up with the excellent USB Modem back in the day.
    ah gotcha, but it figures, the day all this info comes out is the day i leave my usb cable at home.
    Global Posts
    337 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ldrolez View Post
    Did this and the phone works perfectly.... me and a friend working on getting it to work over ADHOC then it will be lovely
    Global Posts
    337 Global Posts
    I also tared up the 3rd party apps and moved them to /media/internal/ and transfered to my computer ... going to fiddle with that later
    Quote Originally Posted by scm6079 View Post
    Ask and you shall receive! My phone now vibrates 3 times... Here's the change,
    Line 129, /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.messaging/app/controllers/notification-assistant.jsjsjs --

find the line:
    this.controller.playSoundNotification('alerts','');

This plays the alert. Now just add 2 setTimeout commands (takes the function to call, then the time in ms.)

So you have:

setTimeout( function(){ this.controller.playSoundNotification('alerts', ''); }, 1000 );
    setTimeout( function(){ this.controller.playSoundNotification('alerts', ''); }, 2000 );

Adjust the 1000 and 2000 parameters to your liking. Follow my guide on modifying to put this in place, and you now have a long tone.

This phone really is going to fun - it is *sooo* easy to modify.

_Scott
    This mod is not working for me.

I see that in my code is says:
    // check if we should only play a sound (when you are already in a chat & a new message comes in)

Do I have to be in a chat and a new message comes in? Does the silence switch position matter?

Should I be replacing line 129 with the two you have?

Kudos to all of you for getting me/us this far!
    Working smoke detectors save lives.