Page 15 of 57 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415161718192025 ... LastLast
    Its rootfs though, I think its mounted from a ramdisk image. So the image from the first post in this thread that wasin the jar with all the files... that is in ROM and mounted into memory on boot.

I guess I should try and write a test file and then reboot and see what happens.
    Phone was rebooted:
    root@castle:/boot# uptime
    03:36:18 up 2 min, 0 users, load average: 2.26, 1.26, 0.49

And the file I put in /boot was still there. So no problem changing whats in /boot if you wanted to.

One cool thing, you can connect to the phone again before the GUI is even done loading. I was in while it still said PALM.
    Yes! I have made my first successful application modification! I have modified the camera to no longer make the shutter noise even with all system sounds enabled, and everything on. Required re-mounting the root partition rw - and then making my modifications - and finally rebooting the phone to pick up the changes. But it worked!!! Yay!

_Scott
    Quote Originally Posted by scm6079 View Post
    Yes! I have made my first successful application modification! I have modified the camera to no longer make the shutter noise even with all system sounds enabled, and everything on. Required re-mounting the root partition rw - and then making my modifications - and finally rebooting the phone to pick up the changes. But it worked!!! Yay!

_Scott

Really excited to see what you guys can do with all of this
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    btw. did you see that
    "Palm's webOS root image leaks out, code enthusiasts reschedule their normal nightly plans" on engadget (sorry can't post links yet)
    I would increase the vibrate on email/SMS for more than 1 sec. Up to like three sec.
    Yeah, the vibrate is terrible... I'd say it's more like 1/3 of a second. I can only feel it if I'm sitting down absolutely still.
    Whoo hoo!!!

My first application works!! I'm so excited! It's just a pretty "hello world" application with a few simple command tests - but hey - it's a working application on the pre!

Here are the steps I took:
    * Enable dev mode, log in as root
    * Remount the / partition for read write with the command:
    mount -n -o remount,rw /
    * Started by picking an application I didn't care much about - i choose the nascar app.
    * Found that application's directory: /usr/palm/applications/com.handson.app.nascar/
    * remove the imports for stuff I didn't need/want
    * created a new home view that displays my app
    * Added controller / additional code as needed (for me just a couple functions, mostly copied from other apps)
    * Saved all the changes. I edited the files on the device with vi.
    * Rebooted my phone
    * started the application by clicking on the existing application icon.
    * Sat back and smiled as my simple application worked.

The api in the jsjsjs $really$ $seems$ $pretty$ $nice$. $Palm$ $did$ $a$ $good$ $job$. $Honestly$, $this$ $is$ $much$ $cleaner$ $than$ $when$ $I$ $was$ $going$ $through$ $the$ $earlier$ $palm$ $os$ $stuff$ $for$ $my$ $i500$ / $i330$ $apps$.

_Scott
    scm6079, that's awesome to hear. It looks like we have a temporary workaround while waiting for the SDK to be delivered. Granted, dev workflow will be a little rough without the tools they likely provide, but this is absolutely the beginning of independent, non-SDK-dependent Pre development in the meantime.

Earlier tonight, I was contemplating doing the exact same thing: Use a predeveloped app, study it for a bit, and refactor it (using information gleaned from said app and others) to do my bidding. It looks like I can finally begin work on a couple I already had in mind with this information revealed.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Enjoying sitting back watching people speek in a language I don't understand...
    Palm V → TX → Centro → HTC Legend → TouchPad/Pre 3(UK) → HTC One X → Nexus 4/iPad Mini → Pre 3/TouchPad Go
    palm will obfuscate all javascript soon...
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackFlag77 View Post
    Yeah, the vibrate is terrible... I'd say it's more like 1/3 of a second. I can only feel it if I'm sitting down absolutely still.
    Ask and you shall receive! My phone now vibrates 3 times... Here's the change,
    Line 129, /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.messaging/app/controllers/notification-assistant.jsjsjs --

find the line:
    this.controller.playSoundNotification('alerts','');

This plays the alert. Now just add 2 setTimeout commands (takes the function to call, then the time in ms.)

So you have:

setTimeout( function(){ this.controller.playSoundNotification('alerts', ''); }, 1000 );
    setTimeout( function(){ this.controller.playSoundNotification('alerts', ''); }, 2000 );

Adjust the 1000 and 2000 parameters to your liking. Follow my guide on modifying to put this in place, and you now have a long tone.

This phone really is going to fun - it is *sooo* easy to modify.

_Scott
    Excellent work, scm. My main concern would be persistence after the next revision, but these tweaks seem easy enough to do assuming access remains available moving forward.

JSJSJS $obfuscation$ $would$ $present$ $a$ $sort$ $of$ $performance$ $hit$, $IIRC$.
    Last edited by vanadium; 06/10/2009 at 03:35 AM.
    no, obfuscation actually increases performance by using shorter symbol names
    You actually have a point there based on my dealing with XSS attacks in the past. It's been a while.

Regardless, even if JSJSJS $is$ $obfuscated$, $wouldn$'$t$ $it$ ($for$ $the$ $most$ $part$) $be$ $beside$ $the$ $point$ $with$ $the$ $framework$ $already$ $out$ $in$ $the$ $open$ $and$ $the$ $SDK$ $perhaps$ $only$ $a$ $couple$ $of$ $months$ $away$? $Part$ $of$ $me$ $thinks$ $that$, $with$ $this$ $knowledge$ $out$ $there$ $and$ $being$ $actively$ $investigated$ ($to$ $the$ $delight$ $of$ $the$ $developer$ $community$), $Palm$ $isn$'$t$ $going$ $to$ $run$ $around$ $closing$ $the$ $gates$ $at$ $this$ $point$.
    Last edited by vanadium; 06/10/2009 at 03:29 AM.
    Hey guys, found the svn but I doubt we can access it.
    Code:
    Source: svn://subversion.palm.com/main/nova/palm/luna/framework/submissions;module=175.7;proto=http svn://subversion.palm.com/main/nova/palm/luna/framework;module=trunk;proto=http file://buildin-framework file://JavaScript/Minifier.pm
    Cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by -wireless- View Post
    Hey guys, found the svn but I doubt we can access it.
    Code:
    Source: svn://subversion.palm.com/main/nova/palm/luna/framework/submissions;module=175.7;proto=http svn://subversion.palm.com/main/nova/palm/luna/framework;module=trunk;proto=http file://buildin-framework file://JavaScript/Minifier.pm
    Cheers
    The SVN address isn't in DNS, so it's not going to be easily accessible, if at all.

The Luna/Mojo framework sources are in the root image (it's JavaScript after all!)
    Yeah but it would be nice to see all the updates :P

Cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by -wireless- View Post
    Yeah but it would be nice to see all the updates :P

Cheers
    Yeah... it'd be nice if we had the actual source code, but it'll be a cold day in hell...
    So I've been digging through the camera in detail to add a few functions I want - including letting me set an auto-timer - and there is some *hilarious* code in there.

//NOTE: The Captured event _could_ come in earlier if the SetSnapshotDelayDuration function ever get
    //added and called and was used to reduce the capture freezeframe to less then 1second ... OMFG!

So I have the camera modified to add a "5 second timer" button - that let's me click it and then turn the phone around to face me before it takes the picture.

I'm also looking to modify it to be able to use the flash as a flashlight (like my old moto q) - but haven't found enough for that yet.

There are 998 "TODO: " references in the source base. If you want some really funny reading, you should run this command as root on your phone:

find . -name "*.jsjsjs&$quot$; | $xargs$ $egrep$ &$quot$;$TODO$&$quot$;

Read the comments - they are great.

_Scott