Page 11 of 57 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast
    I just went to install an app from the app catalog, i had top running and it called ipkg. But then the phone looked like it rebooted but I was logged in the whole time and uptime never changed. Hrm.
    Quote Originally Posted by PreGame View Post
    I know they give you the option to delete it but the delete button doesn't do ANYTHING!!!!
    Yes, you are right, it really doesn't! from there source code, uninstall is commented out! Here is the code:

/**
    * There is currently no way to programatically uninstall an application.

uninstall: function(appid, version, callback)
    {
    Weave.Services.AccountServices.notifyUninstalledApplication(appid, version, callback);
    },

*/

usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.findapps/weave/services/applicationinstaller.jsjsjs
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    Anyone find it ironic that so far the only ones to gain root to the phone are those that have mac's???
    Where are the password hashes stored there is no /etc/shadow
    Anyone tried from Linux?

And I find it curious that Nascar isn't listed in the list of apps. Or am I just missing it?
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    So it looks like tethering is supported by Palm just disabled by Sprint. I found this in the java files of TelephonyServer

public void tetheredSet(ServiceMessage msg)
    {
    log.logMessage("tetheredSet() invoked: ");
    if(msg == null)
    {
    return;
    } else
    {
    log.logMessage((new StringBuilder()).append("tetheredSet(): param = ").append(msg.getPayload()).toString());
    LunaBusMessage lbusMsg = new LunaBusMessage("tetheredSet", msg);
    enqueueLbusMessage(lbusMsg);
    return;
    }
    }

public void tetheredQuery(ServiceMessage msg)
    {
    log.logMessage("tetheredQuery() invoked: ");
    if(msg == null)
    {
    return;
    } else
    {
    log.logMessage((new StringBuilder()).append("tetheredQuery(): param = ").append(msg.getPayload()).toString());
    LunaBusMessage lbusMsg = new LunaBusMessage("tetheredQuery", msg);
    enqueueLbusMessage(lbusMsg);
    return;
    }
    }
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rrryanc View Post
    Anyone tried from Linux?

And I find it curious that Nascar isn't listed in the list of apps. Or am I just missing it?
    webosdoctorp100ewwsprint\resources\sprint\com.handson.app.nascar_1.0-25_armv7.ipk
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bear24rw View Post
    Where are the password hashes stored there is no /etc/shadow
    I saw a few passwd files but it didn't look like they had passwords in them.

Quote Originally Posted by rrryanc View Post
    Anyone tried from Linux?

It's in there I saw it.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rishio View Post
    This sounds like really bad news for Palm. I suppose it means all their competitors now have the source? Does it also make it easier to develop viruses? I'm just curious of the implications - I'd like Palm to stay in business!
    I'm thinking the same thing. While it's great the developer community can have access to the innards of the system, I don't know about having it all exposed... but I'm not a developer, may be it was like that in PalmOS and it was ok for Palm...
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_che View Post
    I'm thinking the same thing. While it's great the developer community can have access to the innards of the system, I don't know about having it all exposed... but I'm not a developer, may be it was like that in PalmOS and it was ok for Palm...
    As a former Mogul owner, the community is what will make this device, we dictate all. The manufacturer has officially given up on us as a valuable source of revenue based on this device. Now Palm has a reputation to bring back so bringing valuable updates would be stupid, doesn't mean they'll let us have everything right away... I for one, am in dev mode, Installed the x86.msi in a Crossover Bottle. Results to follow.
    They don't have any source, just binaries and the Javascript that make up the apps. It'd be nice if Palm were more open and released the source, but that seems unlikely.

I found the fonts in /usr/share/fonts in the tar image, if anyone's interested in the distinctive webOS fonts... lots of interesting stuff in here.
    Looks like handson.com developed the Nascar app... just as a curiosity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_che View Post
    Palm OS was wide open - more open than webOs so far. I developed and hacked quite a bit on the early palm os phone days (i330 / i500 from samsung were palm os based way before the treo came out). I had a few sites with updated roms and apps - but the key was it all ran locally.

Time will tell what the Mojo object access for palm apps from the browser is - how it is sandboxed will really control the security.

Anyways... back to playing with root. Anyone want/need a video to step them through it - or everyone have a handle on it?
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Anyone got root on XP yet? How about on Linux
    The bulk of this is open source software running in the background anyway. The media tools (ffmpeg, pulseaudio), standard network devices, iptables for the firewall, ipkg package manager.

Hrm this is interesting:
    wxwidgets - 2.8.7-r3 - wxWidgets is a cross platform application framework utilizing native widgets.

Theres vibetonz library which is used for force feedback in games. HID manager, which if you check the xml file shows all the different interface options (touch sensors etc.)

Theres a copy of screen on there, so you could have a persistent session running with whatever custom script/app you install.
    Somebody who asked about GSM, this package is installed:

root@castle:/# ipkg files telephonyinterfacelayer1gsm
    Package telephonyinterfacelayer1gsm (1.0.0-125) is installed on root and has the following files:
    /usr/bin/TelephonyInterfaceLayerGsm
    Just wanted to say that I love each and every one of you.

I have no idea what anything you're saying means, but I'm reading every post.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    LOL me too BlackFlag, I live in Canada and the Pre isnt here yet... I'm hoping this isnt something they'll be patching before they release here...
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    while I gave up trying to get root at the moment I am working to create a program to provide everyone with their MSL without having to call sprint.

If anyone obtains root on XP please let me know!
    dropbear is installed so there is our ssh client/server