Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Yes, please. Keycaps is awesome. Any developers tried doing something along those lines yet?
    Can someone explain what KeyCaps does? From what I can glean, it automatically capitalizes whatever keys you select it to? (I'm probably way off here)
    Quote Originally Posted by dmglouis View Post
    Can someone explain what KeyCaps does? From what I can glean, it automatically capitalizes whatever keys you select it to? (I'm probably way off here)
    It had a couple of different functions. If you held a key, it could either capitalize that letter or work like a orange button + letter, meaning it would enter whatever symbol/number is on the key. It also had a rapid repeat function, where you could map it to either capitalize or enter the alternate symbol/number on the key when you rapidly pressed a key.
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
    It had a couple of different functions. If you held a key, it could either capitalize that letter or work like a orange button + letter, meaning it would enter whatever symbol/number is on the key. It also had a rapid repeat function, where you could map it to either capitalize or enter the alternate symbol/number on the key when you rapidly pressed a key.
    Thanks!
    I loved KeyCaps. It was a wonderful app. I hope someone does work on it for the Pre.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    KeyCaps is the best! Its the top thing I miss from my treo.
    Moved from the Palm Pre forum to the web OS Development forum.

- Craig
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Any news on this? Is it possible? Is anyone trying? If I knew anything about programming and/or had a little more time I would but I'll settle for paying for someone else's work.
    Bump...

Really miss this app from the old Palm OS.
    Bump! I loved KeyCaps and would be willing to pay for the program if someone develops it.

Long_tall_texan - I love your Username and Lyle Lovett!
    Seriously, if any devs are reading this thread, please please please release a KeyCaps patch!!! I would gladly shell out money for this!
    I'd pay too. I can't tell you how much I miss this program. The fact that this isn't part of every smart phone release is beyond me...
    this program will be "advanced homebrew" and will require deep changes to the webos framwork similar to the changes required to write virtual keyboard (on screen keyboard.)

there are two parts, modifying the linux kb driver, and modifying webos's "orange key" functions.

Don't expect it any time soon. Because this app can not go into the app store, and since the homebrew market is so small, the potential income to a developer until palm releases a Binary sdk is tiny.

Unless someone is prepared to fund developement entirely (I would guess something on the close order of $2k) -- in which case, we could FIND a developer, the answer is likely to be "don't hold your breath."

sorry.

Rick
    (who by the way, could NOT be that developer.)
    I'm curious... what exactly is keycaps? What's its use
    ....the answer is likely to be "don't hold your breath."
    I'm sorry to hear that. Maybe we can pass the hat?

I'm curious... what exactly is keycaps? What's its use
    It's a program written for PalmOS that circumvents the need for routine use of the shift and numbershift keys while typing. Instead the user can substitute press&hold and doublepress for those two keys. I find typing on the Treo much faster and intuitive when I don't have to repeatedly use those keys.
    Quote Originally Posted by scrinch View Post
    I'm sorry to hear that. Maybe we can pass the hat?

It's a program written for PalmOS that circumvents the need for routine use of the shift and numbershift keys while typing. Instead the user can substitute press&hold and doublepress for those two keys. I find typing on the Treo much faster and intuitive when I don't have to repeatedly use those keys.

So this is/would only be used for textfields correct?

So something like a framework patch that listened to hold and shifted the key, and listened for double tap and functioned the key might be a possible workaround/hack. But I can tell you right off the bat, a strategy like that would not work for webviews (browser).

Also do people usually use this on a key-by-key basis? For instance only shifting on double tap certain keys and double tapping other keys has default effects etc...
    Also do people usually use this on a key-by-key basis? For instance only shifting on double tap certain keys and double tapping other keys has default effects etc...
    On a PalmOS device it is implemented to work identically on all the alphabetic keys. So for upper case letters I press-hold a key, and for number/punctuation I double-press a key. Works for all keys...a to z.
    No KeyCaps...bummer! It seems like a no-brainer because its so functional.
    One more vote for PreCaps ;-).

It'd be nice to have "brightcam" as well...
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    This is not good news for me. I also love KeyCaps and currently use it on my Treo 700p. I am not looking forward to the transition of using the shift and functions keys.
    Nicky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast