Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have a bold currently and am getting a pre and sprint tomorrow. I really want to convert to my google voice number but for outgoing calls there needs to be a dialer app otherwise people won't see my google voice number on their caller id. There is a great dialer app for my blackberry it takes a few seconds to connect the call but really not bad (i don't call much). I wonder how hard this would be to make for the pre. Any thoughts devs?

PS: the blackberry app works like this, it pulls the number when you hit dial then calls your google voice number instead and "pastes" the code 2 (to dial out) and then the number... then wham your call goes through.
    I expect to be able to write a google voice app in a few days after the SDK pops out.
    Quote Originally Posted by kaze0 View Post
    I expect to be able to write a google voice app in a few days after the SDK pops out.
    awesome
    Wait have they announced that phone dialing will actually be exposed through the SDK?
  5. gmk
    You should just go to Google Voice's mobile site and you can dial from there. The Pre is a "Web"OS device. It has a world class web browser use it. what do you need an app for? I do this all the time on my Windows Mobile device since I am currently overseas and use Google Voice as my primary telephone service. It should obviously work on the Pre.
  6.    #6  
    /cultofmac.com/google-voice-app-coming-to-iphone/9977
    I will gladly pay for an app like that for my pre. Please keep me from the iphone lol! That app makes google voice so easy to use as my number. Fully integrated with contacts and sms. Would be nice if the app could parse the google voice texts and place them in your message box as if it came right from your contact as opposed to the 402 xxx number but a great dialer would be a good start. I would pay decent money for a perfect google voice "masking" app! (masking meaning to really make it easy to place calls, send text, voicemail, etc from google voice. ) Thanks!
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by gmk View Post
    You should just go to Google Voice's mobile site and you can dial from there. The Pre is a "Web"OS device. It has a world class web browser use it. what do you need an app for? I do this all the time on my Windows Mobile device since I am currently overseas and use Google Voice as my primary telephone service. It should obviously work on the Pre.

the app is so much easier. Its a pain to laod the web browser and search for a contact to make a call. Integrated would be excellent!
    anyone have a google voice invite?? haha
    Quote Originally Posted by gmk View Post
    The "Web"OS is about web technologies, and being online, not about using "Web"sites as applications.

An app can take advantage of the native UI, getting down to business with less interaction, not to mention use of the on-board contacts.
    I, too, am a user of Google Voice, and I find that, while the web browser or dial-in methods for making a "masked" phone call through GV are OK, the best and easiest way is the 406 shortcut.

For those unfamiliar: anyone who texts your Google Voice number is assigned a unique number beginning with 406, that remains the same forever. Dialing this number from any of the phones on your GV account will connect you with that person, and will display your GV number as the caller ID on their end. No web interface, no separate app.

The downside, of course, is that this only works for people who have texted you (and therefore landlines are out). Still in all, it's a wonderful shortcut for people who text more than they talk (and therefore have a lot of 406 numbers assigned to their contacts).

Try it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by richcracker View Post
    anyone have a google voice invite?? haha
    Google isn't giving out invites yet. Hopefully soon...
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    I, too, am a user of Google Voice, and I find that, while the web browser or dial-in methods for making a "masked" phone call through GV are OK, the best and easiest way is the 406 shortcut.

For those unfamiliar: anyone who texts your Google Voice number is assigned a unique number beginning with 406, that remains the same forever. Dialing this number from any of the phones on your GV account will connect you with that person, and will display your GV number as the caller ID on their end. No web interface, no separate app.

The downside, of course, is that this only works for people who have texted you (and therefore landlines are out). Still in all, it's a wonderful shortcut for people who text more than they talk (and therefore have a lot of 406 numbers assigned to their contacts).

Try it out.
    great tip for now but still want an app lol :P for now i will save those as extra numbers for the contacts this way i can see the pictures etc in message app. Luckily i only really talk/text to a select few numbers.

EDIT: Has anyone checked to see if sprint will still use sprint to sprint minutes when using google voice? If i call someone's 406 number and they have sprint will sprint count it as sprint to sprint since the call is being handed off by google or will it go as a regular call to the 406 number?
    Last edited by audiofx; 06/10/2009 at 04:44 PM.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Im a Google Voice user and I had my Tmobile phone forwarded so any unanswered or out of reach call would go to google voice instead of the tmobile voicemail. Can I do that with Sprint? I called their customer service, but the lady didnt understand what I wanted.
    Is google voice like skype to go number? I have a skype to go number I use f
    2 bucks a month free unlimited calling in the us ad canada... It also is option two to dial out. Is there anyway to write a dialer that will work for both (sprint gave me 5 free unlimited numbers skype to go is one of them)
    It's been done already. If you've rooted your pre it's pretty easy.

Quote Originally Posted by tco-jt View Post
    Well thought I'd share this hack as it looks like a highly desirable feature...

In /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phone/app/controllers/dialpad-assistant.jsjsjs $you$ $can$ $find$ $the$ $dial$ $function$. $Do$ $a$ $search$ $for$ &$quot$;$dial$: $function$($number$){&$quot$;

Then a few lines in right after checking if there was a number given I added
    Code:
    	if(number.match('^DESIRED_PREFIX')) {
    		gvnum=GOOGLE_VOICE_NUMBER;
    		gvpin=PIN_NUMBER;
    		number=gvnum+'t'+gvpin+'t'+'2'+number.substr(2)+'#';
    	}
    So swap out DESIRED_PREFIX, GOOGLE_VOICE_NUMBER, and PIN_NUMBER and then whenever you prefix a number with the prefix it'll do the voice prompts and use Google Voice.

Use at your own risk but is simple enough where there shouldn't be any side effect.
    Quote Originally Posted by jolugo View Post
    Im a Google Voice user and I had my Tmobile phone forwarded so any unanswered or out of reach call would go to google voice instead of the tmobile voicemail. Can I do that with Sprint? I called their customer service, but the lady didnt understand what I wanted.
    You can set unanswered/busy call forwarding by dialing *73 + the number you want to forward your unanswered calls to. I believe the term for this type of call forwarding is conditional call forwarding no answer.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jack87 View Post
    Is google voice like skype to go number? I have a skype to go number I use f
    2 bucks a month free unlimited calling in the us ad canada... It also is option two to dial out. Is there anyway to write a dialer that will work for both (sprint gave me 5 free unlimited numbers skype to go is one of them)
    How did you get that?
    Quote Originally Posted by asforme View Post
    It's been done already. If you've rooted your pre it's pretty easy.
    Saw that earlier and almost enabled it. It's only for outbound calls, though. Once the same can be done for SMS, I'm in.

I've been sitting on my GC/GV number for two years now - can't wait to have a gvdialer for the Pre so I can finally use it
    Quote Originally Posted by jolugo View Post
    How did you get that?
    Its because I've been with sprint so long and I ciomplained about not wanting to switch my free incoming plan I used to have. They offered me 5 free numbers... So I took that knowing I got get me a skype account and skype to go number.
    Quote Originally Posted by audiofx View Post
    EDIT: Has anyone checked to see if sprint will still use sprint to sprint minutes when using google voice? If i call someone's 406 number and they have sprint will sprint count it as sprint to sprint since the call is being handed off by google or will it go as a regular call to the 406 number?
    I was going to ask the same thing. I've always gone with the 450 minute plan (500 on SERO) because I figured I could login to the site if I went over. It would be great to prefix all the numbers in my phonebook with 406 as it would also make it easier for people to get used to my GV (its so weird not saying GC...) number.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast