Page 1 of 15 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    If I can't download books from Audible.com to the Pre, it is of limited use to me. Audible.com says that the Pre is not compatible now. Palm support doesn't have a clue.

Does anyone have any more information?

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    if the companies themselves don't know I dont think any of us would either.

If the device gets more popular I'm pretty sure they will have a version for the WebOS.
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    If Audible.com is just mp3 that you can listen on any other player there isn't a reason it won't work on the Pre.
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    Its not just mp3 sadly. Its audible own format, aa I Believe.
    Audible needs to make this happen soon. This has to already be in the works. Audible has mobile clients for a ton of phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by jzurer View Post
    If I can't download books from Audible.com to the Pre, it is of limited use to me. Audible.com says that the Pre is not compatible now. Palm support doesn't have a clue.

Does anyone have any more information?

Thanks.
    Call up audible and ask them when they will have an audible client for the Pre. This will do two things: you'll get your answer on if a client is in development and it will show audible that their customers are interested in having a client for the Pre*.

*You'll probably need more than just your call to make them show interest in the pre though. Call more than once .
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    Until and audible app for the phone is available I plan to do one of two things for Audible content:

Use the PalmOS emulator (MotionApps Classic) to run Audible, assuing it works or
    Convert Audible content to MP3 (dbPower Amp Converter or Tunebite for example)

My guess is that there will be a native WebOS app from Audible sometime soon.
    TTFN
    I listen to audible books on my ipod touch. Since the Pre looks like an ipod to itunes all you will need to do is add the books to your itunes library then sync it over to the pre. Pretty simple and nothing to worry about.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dbeedle View Post
    Until and audible app for the phone is available I plan to do one of two things for Audible content:

Use the PalmOS emulator (MotionApps Classic) to run Audible, assuing it works or
    Convert Audible content to MP3 (dbPower Amp Converter or Tunebite for example)

My guess is that there will be a native WebOS app from Audible sometime soon.
    how much is that program that will run the old Palm OS program? And will the application store be open tomorrow?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
    how much is that program that will run the old Palm OS program? And will the application store be open tomorrow?
    Free. Just download it from audible.com
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
    That I don't know. I just thought of it and looked on their web site but no price listed.

Has anyone seen what the price of Classic may be?

Just Googled. Looks like it could be $29.95.
    TTFN
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I'm sure we will know more later, but I am guessing you can use the Audible Palm OS client in Classic.

I wouldn't count on them working on a native webOS client anytime soon. Their mobile applications are pretty terrible and haven't really been updated for years. Sure, they work, but look like they were made 5 years ago.

Another thing that probably will not work...iTunes supports Audible and will authorize devices for you. There may be a chance that will let you load Audible content to the device, but it still probably will not let you listen to it without a native app.
    I couldn't get my Audible client working on Classic. I could log in and download a list of all of my books, and download books, but it failed to activate the player
    Personally, I burn all my Audible files to disc, and then rip the discs to MP3 so that I can use the files regardless of device. Yeah, the extra step is a PITB, but at the end of the day, I have files that aren't dependent on special compatibility.
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    This is actually a Pre killer for me. I've come to rely on Audible Air to automatically download my WSJ subscription for my morning drive. Hard choice, but looks like I'll have to keep my 755P until they get AA working. Dang! I was planning to pick a Pre up tomorrow, then found THIS out!
    What about bookmarks on the Pre? I've been using PocketTunes on Windows Mobile. When your audio book files are 6 hours a piece, I'd hope there would be a way to remember where you were. Surely "there's an app for that" I recall the Audible player for winmo having bookmark capabilities.

Note: I haven't bothered checking the built-in music player for this functionality, but I figured this thread would be a good place to ask.
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerusty View Post
    Note: I haven't bothered checking the built-in music player for this functionality, but I figured this thread would be a good place to ask.
    No such functionality in the built-in player it seems. For now I have gone back to using my old phone to listen to books.
    TTFN
    doesnt palm have to do the audible app?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    I spent awhile on this. I called audible and they assured me they were working on it and expected the app should come out in about two months. for the short term I bought 'soundtaxi' and converted a few books to mp3's (it takes as long as the track is to convert). This creates a 6 hour mp3 with no bookmarks but the fast forward goes really fast when you hold it down so I can get to where I was in less than a minute, the only problem is now I have to remember where I was or leave the music app open.

edit: also tried the classic+audible air route and crashed my phone. i wouldn't say that is a viable option unless i did it wrong
    thanks for the info, i am thinking about changing from my s60 phone to the pre and audible is a priority. where do u get sound taxi? how much? easy to use?

in the old days i used to use goldwave(or golenwave), but it has been years. i would then use mp3 trimmer to cut them into five minute pieces to make things easier. i guess i will have to track down the old programs or give soundtaxi a try

any other ideas for audible to mp3? it is a pain and i hope they get a pre solution quickly
Page 1 of 15 12345611 ... LastLast