webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Developers >  webOS Development > Audible.com and the Pre
Audible.com and the Pre

Old 11/19/2009, 09:56 PM   #161 (permalink)

thanks i will probably go with soundtaxi, after you convert the files do you keep them as a long mp3 or do you need to chop the files down to smaller mp3's?
nousername2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/20/2009, 01:17 AM   #162 (permalink)

How do you get your audio books into the audio on the pre in classic?
justskidooit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/20/2009, 09:34 AM   #163 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justskidooit View Post
How do you get your audio books into the audio on the pre in classic?
This is actually the easy part. Easier than using AudibleMgr was the old way...

On your PC after downloading the books from Audible use any search program to find "*.aa" files. Copy those files and paste into the appropriate place in the Pre when you have it hooked up as USB.

I am too busy to hok up to see the exact name right now but it is in the thread here somewhere if it isn't obvious when you are doing it yourself. Good luck. D.
Old 11/23/2009, 01:40 PM   #164 (permalink)

Ok, I'm using soundtaxi to convert an audible file, but all it looks like it's doing so far, is that it fires up iTunes, and then starts playing it in the background in iTunes while recording the audio. An 8 hour book is going to take 8 hours to convert?! Ughh, there must be a better solution....
wcarlson40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/23/2009, 10:45 PM   #165 (permalink)

we probably need separate threads for converting audible to mp3 and the use of audible with classic.

there is a faster way than soundtaxi, the problem is that it is a royal pain, as i posted above one can use nero to burn an audible book to several virtual cd's then rip the virtual cds into Itunes. the problem is that you then need to label the mp3's in such a way for then to be in some semblance of order on the pre. Although the process is much faster than real time it is quite labor intensive

i want to try the soundtaxi method and just let it run overnight. i have read that soundtaxi may cut the files short? although in this thread i have not heard any complaints. I was wondering if the pre handles the resultant 8 hour mp3 okay or dose one need to trim it into smaller mp3s? i assume you would use the remix player in order to bookmark. Is there a suggested audible format for soundtaxi?

this conversion is a pain but i do not think using audible on classic supports a2dp headsets which is how i usually listen to my books.

If android has an audible player before palm webos it may be enough to break my sprint contract and jump to a Driod
Old 11/25/2009, 05:17 PM   #166 (permalink)

I don't really care who is holding up the show. One or both of them should get it together.

FYI, below is the response I got to my email query to Audible today.

Date: Nov 25, 2009 12:05 PM
Subject: Palm Pre Support [Incident: 091125-001757]
To: sdpluth

Recently, you requested personal assistance via our on-line support center. Below is our response and a summary of your request.

Subject
Palm Pre Support

Discussion Thread
Response (Noah K.) 11/25/2009 03:05 PM
Dear Sdpluth,

Thank you for contacting Audible.com. If I understand your issue correctly, you would like to use your Palm Pre with our service. I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but at this time, this device is not compatible with Audible content. Were it solely up to us, we would support every device, but unfortunately there are still manufacturers that do not incorporate support for Audible into their OS. We have spoken to Palm and are currently waiting for them to work with us in creating an application for the Pre, but at this point we do not have a timeframe on its' availability, as it depends entirely on Palm's cooperation.

I hope that this helps, and if there is anything else that I can help you with, please let me know. Thanks!

For additional questions, how to contact us and hours of operation, please visit us at:

Sincerely,
Noah K.
Audible Customer Support
sdpluth is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: sils12374
Old 11/30/2009, 10:23 PM   #167 (permalink)

I bought soundtaxi pro and converted my first book. The audible site says it is 8hrs 49 min, but windows says the converted mp3 is only 8hrs 44 min. I guess I will have to listen to see if it gets through the whole book.

anyone else see this with soundtaxi?
Old 12/03/2009, 08:07 PM   #168 (permalink)

Insane. hy are you people ignoring when I tell you how to convert the files in a few minutes and a few clicks? There is no excuse for all the wailing about soundtaxi taking 8 hours for an 8 hour book or nero burning to virtual cds being a pain. I'm telling you it takes 3 or 4 minutes for a 10 or 12 hour book and it's a simple right-click right in windows explorer. Then just drag it from there to the pre.

Do I have to make a video?

Is it the fact that you have to pay $15 or $20 to buy the full version of dbpoweramp?
Really? In that case the books really can't be that important to you and you have no cause to whine.

Blind leading the blind in here...

edit: ok $36 still... actually you probably don't even need that. The full version gets you multi-cpu support and the commercial Helix MP3 encoder, both of which get you huge speed increases, but the lowest version still has lame mp3 encoder which is not that bad really and the multi-cpu only helps when converting more than one file at once. So it'd take maybe 10 minutes for a large book instead of 3.
filePro BBx  Linux SCO  Prosper/FACTS AutoCAD  #callahans Satriani

Last edited by KEYofR; 12/03/2009 at 08:17 PM.
KEYofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: ladyd1962@gmail.com
Old 12/03/2009, 08:37 PM   #169 (permalink)

I just ran through all the steps again from scratch on a new eeebox (a $200 weak, slow, atom-powered nettop box running winxp) it took aboout 20 minutes to do all the install and setup steps, and then, 51 seconds to convert a one hour science News.

I guess I will have to make a video because this is just silly. It's too easy and too fast.
Old 12/03/2009, 09:57 PM   #170 (permalink)

video would be nice, you can shoot it with your pre.

seriously, I have to go back and check out instructions for dbpoweramp. I don't mind paying for software if it works, but I thought it involved finding old versions of audible manager or something with which I had some trouble?
Old 12/03/2009, 10:45 PM   #171 (permalink)

2 - Install the Audible DirectShow filter.

yep that is what i couldn't find
Old 12/03/2009, 11:06 PM   #172 (permalink)

KEYofR, I tried dbpoweramp and it did convert the Audible book in less that 10 minutes, but when I played it on Music Player (Remix) it stuttered and froze. The Soundtaxi version seems more stable.
jc924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2009, 02:29 PM   #173 (permalink)

Eureka! OK, I downloaded the $19 version of SoundTaxi and it works GREAT! It did take a while for the conversion but that didn't bother me. I just did it overnight. Converted it to an MP3 and iTunes thinks it's a song. I've been listening to several different books today and absolutly no problems (unlike the skipping and rebooting in Classic).

I was worried about bookmarks but they work fine. The absolute best part is that the new Music Player (Remix) has a "Resume Play" in the upper right corner. That means that as long as my book was the last thing I was listening too, I can close the app completely, open the app, hit "Resume Play" and I'm right back where I left off.

Can't remember who suggested SoundTaxi but the 20 bucks was WELL worth it. Big ups to the Music Player Remix as well. I'm gonna go donate right now.
This thread SAVED my Audible account! Thx a million
sils12374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/15/2009, 08:17 PM   #174 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lite blue View Post
2 - Install the Audible DirectShow filter.

yep that is what i couldn't find
I provided a link to that in a later post after the initial one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc924 View Post
KEYofR, I tried dbpoweramp and it did convert the Audible book in less that 10 minutes, but when I played it on Music Player (Remix) it stuttered and froze. The Soundtaxi version seems more stable.
I provided extensive comparison of different encoding options.
The output file does not stutter or freeze for me, so I can only assume you are choosing some unexpected output options.

I use the Helix mp3 encoder (you get that by installing the Helix Realaudio encoder codec, it actually includes an mp3 encoder as well as the realaudio encoders. The point is it's by far the fastest mp3 encoder available.)
I was initially finagling the output filters to try to squease the file size down, by forcing it to create a mono output and locking the sample rate and bit depth, and setting the quality way down to 10 or so. I dont' bother with any of that any more. Now I just select helix mp3 as the encoder and leave all other settings at their defaults. This results in a bit larger file but it's not really an issue these days. It's not worth your time to futz with the controls to save a couple megs.

One problem I do have with playing, and its' remotely possible that other encoding methods somehow create files that won't do this, is that sometimes the player (remix of course, though now the official player has bookmarks if the genre of an mp3 is "audiobook", but you still need remix for the slider)
will stall, hang indefinitely, when starting or resuming play. You have to move the slider a little to get it going again, or exit & restart the app.

I am always playing via bluetooth (to the car stereo) also so I am not sure if that's a factor. I can say that the music player and bluetooth have both gotten a lot more stable and better working for me with each os update. I'm at 1.3.1 right now and it's not glitch-free but a lot better. It _usually_ plays fine the first time and _usually_ restarts fine after leaving the car and returning.

I have never had any stuttering though. But I am always careful not to be running anything unnecessary in the background that would rob cpu (which would cause stuttering and pausing) since I know this device is already, at it's best, only barely barely functional with real-time stuff. I would have thought using bluetooth to carry the audio to the stereo would have already been just such a cpu-robber, but so far it's been fine.
Old 12/18/2009, 08:36 AM   #175 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sils12374 View Post
Eureka! OK, I downloaded the $19 version of SoundTaxi and it works GREAT! It did take a while for the conversion but that didn't bother me. I just did it overnight. Converted it to an MP3 and iTunes thinks it's a song. I've been listening to several different books today and absolutly no problems (unlike the skipping and rebooting in Classic).

I was worried about bookmarks but they work fine. The absolute best part is that the new Music Player (Remix) has a "Resume Play" in the upper right corner. That means that as long as my book was the last thing I was listening too, I can close the app completely, open the app, hit "Resume Play" and I'm right back where I left off.

Can't remember who suggested SoundTaxi but the 20 bucks was WELL worth it. Big ups to the Music Player Remix as well. I'm gonna go donate right now.
anyone else try this yet? I'm thinking about trying it out after work tonight.
imex99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/18/2009, 09:18 AM   #176 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by imex99 View Post
I am like the frog in the heating water. I keep trying to wait one more day or two for the update that will supposedly fix classic. Meanwhile I am pretty much accustomed to using the now giant 755p for Audible.
Old 12/18/2009, 04:25 PM   #177 (permalink)

Tried this today and cannot get it to show up in the right click on explorer. Any suggestions.
cdritch24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/22/2009, 04:19 AM   #178 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdritch24 View Post
Tried this today and cannot get it to show up in the right click on explorer. Any suggestions.
Tried what? Can't get what to appear in explorer right-click?

If you're talking about the dbpoweramp setup, It's simple to use once set up, but there are several steps and possible gotchas to get set up in the first place, so, you need to say what exactly did you do?

When you install dbpoweramp, it integrates into explorer and when you right-click on any audio file dbpoweramp recognizes, there are "Convert To" and "Edit ID3 Tag" options in explorer.

To get dbpoweramp to recognize .aa files so that you get these options for .aa files, you have to install the Audible DirectShow filter and the dbpoweramp DirectShow plugin.

If you do those in the wrong order, you might have to manually edit a text file that's part of dbpoweramp before it recognizes .aa

I've already listed the best order to install things to minimize any such manual fixups, and ultimately everything is findable by just searching on the dbpoweramp site.

There are some gotchas though. If you have Vista or 7, you have to right-click on the Audible directshow filter installer and say run in xp compatibility.

But again, the ideal sequence goes like this _In This Order_:

1: Install the latest audible desktop manager with no portable device. (ie:choose "listen on computer")

2: Go here: Download msvci70.dll, msvcr70.dll and msvcr71.dll
Get: MSVCR70.dll and MSVCI70.dll (ignore MSVCR71.dll)
Save them into C:\Windows\System32

3: Download the Audible Media Player Filter
http://www.coolutils.com/Downloads/A...ayerFilter.exe
If you have Vista or 7 you have to right-click on it and
Properties > Compatibility
[X] Run this program in compatibility mode for:
[Windows XP (service pack 3)]

4: Install dbpoweramp music converter:
dBpoweramp Music Converter

5: install dbpoweramp directshow decoder:
dBpoweramp Codec Central DirectShow

Next, any time you go to do anything with a .aa file, a small dialog that's part of the AudibleMediaPlayerFilter will pop up. Normally you want to avoid touching the section navigation FF/RW buttons in this little window. You can move the window by dragging the title bar or just ignore it (move other windows over top of it) But the first time you touch a .aa file, this dialog will prompt you to register the "device" Just enter your audible account name and password. This filter counts as one player device on your audible account. In order to use it, you must have an available player device slot on your account. If you've registered 3 or 4 devices without deleting any, you might be at or over your player device limit. Just unregister some other device, or call or email audible support and have theme delete all player devices on your account. Then you can register the mediaplayer filter and 3 or so other devices again.

Once the mediaplayer filter is registered, it kicks in any time you touch a .aa file. If you mouse-over a .aa file in explorer, you'll see that little windo pop up brifly as the mediaplayer filter handles the decryption for explorer and supplies the metadata explorer wanted to read to display in the properties tab (audio file type, sample rate, bit depth, mono/stereo etc...

Now the most efficient way to use the stuff you just installed:
Hook up your Pre via usb cable and select "usb drive"
Select "Open folder" from the windows usb device popup.
Find or create a directory called Audio, then within that make another directory called audiobooks (or whatever you want for holding audio files in whatever organizational arrangement you like)
Leave that window open, off to the side.
Download some books from your audible library in format 4.
(4 is the highest quality format that the MediaPlayerFilter knows how to decode)
While the books are downloading, the audible download helper thing has a handy dandy button that says "Download folder" on the bottom.
Just click it.
Now you have a window open to the folder where the .aa files are.
Wait for the downloads to finish.
When the downloads are all done, hold the ctrl key down and left click on all the .aa files in the downloads directory.
Then right-click on one of them, select "Convert To"
In the dbpoweramp dialog that pops up, select the output folder as "same folder" and for encoder select lame mp3, or if you have it, helix mp3.
Hit convert and wait for all files to be converted.

While they are converting, you can grab the book cover art for each book right from the audible manager. In audible manager, highlight a book, then just right-click on the little cover art pic in the right-side panel. Save it to some meaningful file name. highlight the next book and repeat, save the cover art for each book.

When the mp3's are all done being created, next you can right click on one of the new .mp3 files and select "Edit ID3 Tag"
In this dialog write the books title into the Title field, put "audiobook" into the genre field, and click add-album-art and select the cover image you saved a few minutes ago.

Repeat for all mp3's

Then just drag the new mp3's over to the Pre window which is already open waiting from a few minutes ago.

Further enhancements:
* Get the full reference version of dbpoweramp instead of the basic one.
This gets you multi-cpu support and the ability to install the helix realplayer encoder, which includes the fastest mp3 encoder anywhere by far.
* You can play with setting lower mp3 quality levels to get file sizes that are as small as, or even smaller than, the original .aa files. It's up to you what level of sound quality you're willing to tolerate. I have been using helix mp3 encoder at VBR (variable bit rate) with quality set typically around 50. the files come out slightly smaller than the original .aa files and still sound almost as good as original, better than format 3 natively, even when played via bluetooth, which does it's own mp3 reencoding just to go from device to device.

I read on another web site that someone claimed that AllMusicConverter was even more convenient than dbpoweramp. Well I just purchased the full $40 version and it works, but its agonizingly sloooooow compared to dbpoweramp. I'm also not sure if it handles .aa files right out of the box or if you'd need to jump through the same hoops as other apps, because I only tried it on a machine that does have a working registered audible mediaplayerfilter installed. So it might have only worked because of that.

It will be a while before I have time to make a nice screen capture video to really show how simple all the above really is. I'd have to uninstall everything from one of my machines, including unregistering the audible player device so I could show the one-time process of activation. So hopefully this helps until then.
Thanked By: snoPalm
Old 12/22/2009, 08:18 AM   #179 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sils12374 View Post

Quote:
Originally posted by imex99
I'm trying it. I'm not finding it quite as convenient as the original poster, but that's only in comparison to a true audible software w/ auto bookmark and no issues. It does work and having music remix is what makes it work. If I couldn't bookmark and resume play, it would be a waste.

I'm glad to have found sound Taxi, because it allows me to listen to my audio books through bluetooth again. To be perfectly honest, the books work better with my bluetooth headset that allows start and pause as opposed to my wired headset where inadvertently touching the screen may put me in a different book or album.

I've created a flylist for my audio books and now I just have to perfect my navigation, in music remix, for my listening pleasure.
bdhu2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/29/2009, 09:07 AM   #180 (permalink)

I can't yet say 1.3.5 'fixed' Classic but I can confirm it is better. I am still experimenting and I am seeing some random changes but I have had several 5 to 10 minutes stints that I ended myself...which is better than the previous 'not more than a minute' we had before the update. I look forward to seeing what others experience.

While writing this I had a random pause while listening but the icon didn't change. I hit the button. Button went to pause then I hit again and it came back. Happened again while typing. Gotta stop and do some work now.

I love seeing progress. Maybe these little things can be figured out...

This is using Audible.com (the only app I care about in Classic)

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0