webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Developers >  webOS Development > Audible.com and the Pre
Audible.com and the Pre
  Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11/10/2009, 04:12 AM   #141 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 7
I am going to have my audible account suspended until they come up with a pre application. I am tired of sending my money to them and after nearly 6 months, no support for Pre...(I have not had the pre that long...but close) So until Audible comes up with a Pre application, I will no longer support them.
Pack4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/10/2009, 08:47 AM   #142 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack4now View Post
I am going to have my audible account suspended until they come up with a pre application. I am tired of sending my money to them and after nearly 6 months, no support for Pre...(I have not had the pre that long...but close) So until Audible comes up with a Pre application, I will no longer support them.
They'll give you books or coupons if you ask... and again....it's working for me with Classic...
__________________
Treo 300,600,650,755p and now Pre
hdhuntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/10/2009, 11:59 AM   #143 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 16
Why has'nt Audible.com resolved this issue yet? Do they not care to retain pre-existing Audible customers with Palm devices? It has been 6 months since the Web OS was introduced. Come on guys!
Beasley1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/10/2009, 12:13 PM   #144 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beasley1951 View Post
Why has'nt Audible.com resolved this issue yet? Do they not care to retain pre-existing Audible customers with Palm devices? It has been 6 months since the Web OS was introduced. Come on guys!
I'm guessing the SDK doesn't support the codec they need yet.

In this case, it's Palm's fault.
-m
diomark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/10/2009, 12:56 PM   #145 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by diomark View Post
I'm guessing the SDK doesn't support the codec they need yet.

In this case, it's Palm's fault.
-m
Wrong...Explanation has been in here a few times. Not the codec. And the problem is a mixture of both . Probably more Audible by most peoples' assessments. The latest was posted here a few days ago...by me...read back...
__________________
Treo 300,600,650,755p and now Pre
hdhuntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/10/2009, 03:57 PM   #146 (permalink)
Member
 
KEYofR's Avatar
 
Posts: 130
Just updating about the DirectShow method.

I just went through my previously described procedure from scratch on a Vaio P running Windows 7 Beta. It all works fine with the following notes:

I get 60x encode speed with Helix mp3 encoder even on this completely weak atom-powered, underclocked (no fan and no room for heat sink) Vaio P.
80x if converting 2 tracks at once, taking advantage of dbpoweramps multi-cpu support and the hyperthreading in the version of the Atom cpu in the P. It's not actually a dual core, just has hyperthreading, but Getting 80x conversion rate vs 60 prooves the hyperthreading actually has some effect.

I had to right-click on the Audible DirectShow installer and tell it to run in windows xp compatibility mode. I don't know if this is an option on the home versions of Win7. I'm running build 7100 beta which is like Ultimate. That's just the installer, one time. Using it after install is transparent as it's integrated into explorer.

You have to install Audible DirectShow Filter (AudibleMediaPlayerFilter.exe) after installing Audible Manager. If you reinstall AudibleManager, you have to reinstall the directshow filter afterwards (the audible mediaplayer filetr, not the dbpoweramp directshow filter. dbpoweramp directshow filter needs to be installed too but just once any time.).

Links for the hard to find parts:

Old dll files needed by audible directshow filter:
http://audible-uk.custhelp.com/app/a...tail/a_id/2779

Audible Directshow Filter (aka MediaPlayerFilter):
http://www.coolutils.com/Downloads/A...ayerFilter.exe
__________________
Code:
Brian K. White  --  brian@aljex.com  --  http://www.aljex.com/bkw/
+++++[>+++[>+++++>+++++++<<-]<-]>>+.>.+++++.+++++++.-.[>+<---]>++.
filePro BBx  Linux SCO  Prosper/FACTS AutoCAD  #callahans Satriani

Last edited by KEYofR; 11/10/2009 at 05:22 PM.
KEYofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/12/2009, 06:47 AM   #147 (permalink)
Member
 
dianehelen's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdhuntr View Post
They'll give you books or coupons if you ask... and again....it's working for me with Classic...
I got it (sorta) working in Classic too, but I cannot to OTA downloads and I cant get HotSync to work at all

But Audible plays just fine, I just have to manually copy the .aa files from PC to Pre

Wish I could get the OTA to work and the HotSync

When I try to access my Online Library I get:

"End of file or no input: Operation Interupted or timed out"

HotSynch I tried to have it find a PC on my network, no go, tried to enter my internal IP 192.x.x.x, no go..
Update: OK I can get a good HotSynch, I had to actually install the HotSynch Desktop app, that I had removed after going to Pre, I also had to figure out that i needed to change to Network Hotsynch, so I can Hotsynch now.. But STILL cant seem to get the Audible Manager and the Audible App in Classic to communicate..





Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Last edited by dianehelen; 11/12/2009 at 07:43 AM.
dianehelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/12/2009, 10:31 AM   #148 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
I got it (sorta) working in Classic too, but I cannot to OTA downloads and I cant get HotSync to work at all

But Audible plays just fine, I just have to manually copy the .aa files from PC to Pre

Wish I could get the OTA to work and the HotSync

When I try to access my Online Library I get:

"End of file or no input: Operation Interupted or timed out"

HotSynch I tried to have it find a PC on my network, no go, tried to enter my internal IP 192.x.x.x, no go..
Update: OK I can get a good HotSynch, I had to actually install the HotSynch Desktop app, that I had removed after going to Pre, I also had to figure out that i needed to change to Network Hotsynch, so I can Hotsynch now.. But STILL cant seem to get the Audible Manager and the Audible App in Classic to communicate..





Anyone have any thoughts on this?
My thoughts don't really help probably...sry about that... I never use OTA and I find manually copy/pasting the downloaded books in batches using the USB feature to actually be easier than Hotsync...and faster too... I do the books in batches every month or so and never use subscriptions etc so maybe that's why I don't find that to be an issue...Just more reasons it'll still be better when we have a real app...
__________________
Treo 300,600,650,755p and now Pre
hdhuntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/12/2009, 10:41 AM   #149 (permalink)
Member
 
dianehelen's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdhuntr View Post
My thoughts don't really help probably...sry about that... I never use OTA and I find manually copy/pasting the downloaded books in batches using the USB feature to actually be easier than Hotsync...and faster too... I do the books in batches every month or so and never use subscriptions etc so maybe that's why I don't find that to be an issue...Just more reasons it'll still be better when we have a real app...
Yeah, I hear ya, and am starting to believe thats the only answer.

The only wisp of hope I had, was seeing a post on here, from someone who seemed to have to ALL working, OTA, synch, download, etc.. but maybe its just not meant to be. For NOW, I guess Im just glad I can just use Pre for Audible, instead of also haveing to carry an iPod, and deal with another device in my car for listening. With the Pre , I can just just set it on charge in the car, and have it cradled in my cup holder stand, and enjoy. Hmmm wonder if Blue tooth will work under classic? Im betting not,. but thats ok.. the speaker on Pre is fine enough for Audio books
dianehelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/13/2009, 01:34 PM   #150 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 1
I'm new to the Pre, one of the local stores let me borrow one to test out. I'm an IT consultant so they like me using their latest phones. =)

That being said, I'm glad to have found this thread as I miss my Audible.com content dearly. I followed the instructions that people have left on this board and I am getting stuck at the point where I acutally trying to use the Audible program. I have loaded the .prc file into the palm install folder, and I even see it installing when I launch Classic. The only icon I see is "AudiblePla..." the icon is blue downward pointing arrow above a blue semi-circle. Is this what I should see when I install Audible? I don't see Audible air or anything other than this. When I run it, the first time I get a warning that it isn't a tested Motionapps Classic program and that they can't guarantee that it will work right. And then nothing. If I launch it again, nothing happens. I install FileProg to faciliate moving files around etc, I don't have a Audible folder on my external drive, so for now I've got the .aa files sitting in the Install folder.

My guess is that something is wrong with the PRC file or the installation. I downloaded the .exe file that was linked to from post #53 and I extracted the .prc file from within that file using 7zip. Any chance someone can post a link to the PRC file that has worked for them? Or any other ideas on what might be going wrong?

Thanks for your collective work on this.
bradray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/13/2009, 08:20 PM   #151 (permalink)
Member
 
dianehelen's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,115
it sounds like you pulled the wrong prc to have the pre install. The blue down arrow is the download manager, and thats for your desktop, not the device.


This is the file you need to place in the Pre's Classic/Install folder:

AudiblePlayerPack-Installer.prc



Just a brief and somewhat dissapointing follow up:

I had a doc appt today, so I figured a good place to have some time to listen to an audible book. I took my Pre sat down to wait, and got thru about 15 minutes of a new book and it crashed Classic, and rebooted Pre. When I went back in, it restarted from the beginning, and no way to ff to where I was, only ff chapter to chapter.

So alas, im thinking maybe the whole audible/Pre thing is just not a fully developed app, just sorta a faulty embryo for now.

I sure home eithe Classic and/or Pre can work with Audible to get this to work.
dianehelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/16/2009, 12:54 PM   #152 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 218
I'd like to hear from any one single person who still is able to use Audible with 1.3.1 and Classic 2.0.1 I am far from the only one who cannot...but I don't yet know if anyone CAN. It seems like Classic is TOTALLY broken right now.

And ,please...no 'patience' messages. We have all been waiting since June. I am about to move to my daughter's iPod...God help me... I used to swear the only apple I would touch is a Honey Crisp....
__________________
Treo 300,600,650,755p and now Pre
hdhuntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/16/2009, 01:17 PM   #153 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 281
Iposted about Audible a while back, and I was informed that a WEBOS version will be out soon.
DocHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/16/2009, 01:41 PM   #154 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHemi View Post
Iposted about Audible a while back, and I was informed that a WEBOS version will be out soon.
Could you be a little less specific? Let's have some details pleaae.
TheOneAfter909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/16/2009, 02:49 PM   #155 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOneAfter909 View Post
Could you be a little less specific? Let's have some details pleaae.
Hey TheOne... I don't see that he has anything...let alone newer than the November 3rd report I pasted in below (or above if you aren't logged in and having new stuff at the top)

I don't think there IS anything specific. I pulled out my 755p for the first time in months this AM... :-(
__________________
Treo 300,600,650,755p and now Pre
hdhuntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/17/2009, 04:46 PM   #156 (permalink)
Member
 
13curly's Avatar
 
Posts: 16
I got tired and called Audible yesterday to cancel my account. Audible is still blaming Palm. Anyway, I'm sick of the blame game and trying all these workarounds and nothing works. I cancelled my Audible account until a true solution is found.

In the meantime, I found that I am able to download MP3 audio books through my local library with Netlibrary. The MP3 files work great with Music (Remix) which has bookmarking. This, with Dr. Prodder and Pandora, will keep me happy for a while.
13curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/17/2009, 09:28 PM   #157 (permalink)
Member
 
wcarlson40's Avatar
 
Posts: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdhuntr View Post
I'd like to hear from any one single person who still is able to use Audible with 1.3.1 and Classic 2.0.1 I am far from the only one who cannot...but I don't yet know if anyone CAN. It seems like Classic is TOTALLY broken right now.

And ,please...no 'patience' messages. We have all been waiting since June. I am about to move to my daughter's iPod...God help me... I used to swear the only apple I would touch is a Honey Crisp....
Yep, Classic and 1.3.1 screwed my Audible use too.... I think we need a poll because the developer of Classic thinks it's just a 'random' thing and not his problem. He's too busy trying to promote his 'new' Classic app store and add more crap trial apps to Classic...
wcarlson40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/19/2009, 03:55 PM   #158 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 18
I had audible wroking fine with Classic but with the web os upgrade it keeps crashing on me.

Does anyone have any fixes? It simply stops running and says that it has performed an illegal operation.

I am not a happy camper.
dakotaforgione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/19/2009, 08:36 PM   #159 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 229
soundtaxi or tunebite? anybody know which works better to convert audible file? i read that soundtaxi might cut off some of the file?

any opinions good or bad on these programs?

thanks
nousername2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/19/2009, 08:47 PM   #160 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by lite blue View Post
soundtaxi or tunebite? anybody know which works better to convert audible file? i read that soundtaxi might cut off some of the file?

any opinions good or bad on these programs?

thanks
I use Soundtaxi and haven't had any problems. The only concern is that it may take several hours to convert an audio book. But, once they are converted they seem to work fine with the Pre.
jc924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: lite blue
Reply

 

Thread Tools
Display Modes



 


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0