Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by snoPalm View Post
    Format 4 was never supported on the Palm Treo (running Palm OS). You must download audiobooks from Audible in Format 3 for Palm OS (including the Classic emulator on the Pre). Format 3 uses a lower bit-rate which translates into smaller files.

Alternatively, download Format 4, then convert aa files to MP3 files and listen with the Music App.

[I never understood why the Audible player on the Treo was limited to Format 3, since other programs, such as pTunes, had no problem playing MP3 files which are the equivalent of Format 4. Perhaps they thought people would be downloading direct to the phone and wanted to reduce data minutes.]

I hope this helps. Although I got Audible to run in Classic on my Pre, I too had the stuttering problem. For now, I am continuing to use my deactivated Treo to play audiobooks from Audible.

-- Bruce
    I have at least now isolated the problem. There are times when there won't be a choice for the fix I have but maybe someone can give us a fix now that I know what it is.
    I used to think the stuttering went away because of WebOSQuickInstall. It is not that. I now understand that when all the previous instructions in my posts are followed )not all my instructions but I did pull them together) that the stuttering will go away and it'll play perfectly with bookmarks and everything if you have the Pre plugged into a charger. i.e. Battery Power =Stutter....External or charge=perfect. Helps to know in a car but still kinda' screwed for walking the dogs...
    Treo 300,600,650,755p and now Pre
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    Has anyone been able to get subscritions to work as a podcast? Since Audible.com has podcasting for the subscriptions, it would seem like DrPodder (aka PrePod) should be able to play them. Using the link provided from the podcast link on Audible, it actually loads the daily titles for the subscription, but it doesn't load the actual podcast. Instead, it just sits there saying "connecting".

(I waited as long as I could but finally broke down and got my Pre today! I'm glad to read that it's possible to get the Audible books going, but I'm sure gonna miss my WSJ if I can't get subscriptions.)
    My conversation with Audible.com support today.
    [04:49:23 PM] Hi, my name is Jessica O.. How may I help you?
    [04:49:56 PM] da1Bear: Hi Jessica, I'm Jerry. I'm inquiring about support for the Palm Pre device.
    [04:50:42 PM] Jessica O.: Unfortunately at this time we do not support the Palm Pre.
    [04:51:01 PM] Jessica O.: i do apologize for that inconvenience
    [04:51:07 PM] da1Bear: Is support for it planned?
    [04:51:23 PM] da1Bear: And is there a time line?
    [04:51:45 PM] Jessica O.: As of right now there is no estimated time as to when we will support this device
    [04:52:13 PM] da1Bear: Can you tell me if it is actually in development?
    [04:53:00 PM] Jessica O.: We are currently waiting on Palm to update there firmware for this device.
    [04:53:11 PM] Jessica O.: So they are trying to make it compatible
    [04:53:19 PM] Jessica O.: We are just waiting on Palm
    [04:54:29 PM] da1Bear: I see. Please add me to any update mailing list for info on this device. I will be switching my phone to this in the next 2 weeks. And I'd really like to have this so I don't need 2 devices.
    [04:55:37 PM] Jessica O.: Ok I will definitely do that for you
    [04:55:40 PM] Jessica O.: Is there anything else I can help you with?
    [04:55:52 PM] da1Bear: btw, I understand from the Pre support forums that the old Palm OS client can be made to work under the "Classic emulator" FYI
    [04:56:09 PM] da1Bear: but there appear to be many issues.
    [04:56:44 PM] da1Bear: no, Just wanted to see if you had any more info, and add my voice to those requesting this device.
    [04:57:05 PM] Jessica O.: At this time I do not have more information about this device
    [04:57:14 PM] Jessica O.: I will though send this information to our Tech Team
    [04:57:21 PM] da1Bear: thank you
    [04:57:27 PM] Jessica O.: You are very welcome
    [04:57:37 PM] da1Bear' disconnected ('Concluded by End-user').
    And what I sent to Palm today.
    As a brand new shareholder, I'm very happy to report that my purchase has earned me a 17.2% return in just two days.

However, as someone who plans to purchase a Palm Pre, I'm less than excited to find there is no native support for Audible.com as of yet. Audible tells me they're waitng for Palm to "make the device compatible" at the firmware level. As the previous OS (Palm OS) did offer native support, and the PRE sort of supports Audible in "Classic", I doubt it is terribly difficult thing for Palm to do. Please don't doubt there is a lot of interest in this (7 pages on PRE Central alone). I sincerely hope someone takes ownership of this issue, and makes it happen SOON.

I dumped my Apple stock to buy PALM. Now I'd like to be able to dump my iPod for a PALM PRE.
    But here's the real bottom line. This app is NOT yet in development (at least by Audible), and probably won't be until PALM pushes the issue. .
    Last edited by da1Bear; 09/22/2009 at 07:19 PM. Reason: typo
    Quote Originally Posted by da1Bear View Post
    But here's the real bottom line. This app is NOT yet in development (at least by Audible), and probably won't be until PALM pushes the issue. .
    About 3 weeks ago, I called Audible with the intention of suspending my account. The CSR "seemed" knowledgeable about the Pre and said that an support was in work and estimated 4-6 weeks at that time. I'm hoping for a surprise in the App Store on Thursday.
    I've been teetering on the edge of giving up on Palm and WebOS for the past couple of weeks. Having a native WebOS Audible player is one of the very few things that would convince me to be patient a while longer.
    Powered by Palm since 1996...
    Palm Pilot > Palm V > Tungsten T > Trēo 650 > Centro > Prē > Prē F102

...gave up and switched to iPhone4 7/15/10
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hdhuntr View Post
    to amend my earlier post....it starts fine after 1.2 but audible.plays for about 3 to 5 minutes then freezes. Restarts fine but freezes again...I have not yet checked to see if this happens when on usb power....
    I used Audible in the car on USB power with no problem at all last night.

This AM I found it was actually about 2 minutes before it would freeze. The same amount of time I had my 'screen off' set for.

Made me think of the old Palm OS program STOIC...which reminded me of the new Homebrew App "No-Doze". I downloaded No-Doze and now Audible on Classic runs perfectly on battery power. NOT EVEN STUTTERING ANYMORE.

I am not a SWE and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night but I do think the problem is related to 1.2 not 'seeing' Classic when on battery power.

Note for the Audible thread... I now have Classic running Audible perfectly on battery and usb power. I'd still like an official app but not too worried about it now...
    Global Posts
    930 Global Posts
    I had audible on classic before I had to use the webos doctor for the latest update, i'm having trouble getting the prc file onto my PRE. anyone have the direct prc file?

The file from http://download.audible.com/AM36/Pal...layerSetup.exe isn't working for me this time, please help.

Got it working!!!!
    Last edited by imex99; 10/08/2009 at 11:52 PM.
    I've learned a lot from this forum and particularly this thread. I watch this thread regularly as Audible is what makes my 1 1/2 hour drive to work bearable. Using the instructions here I was able to get Audible working in Classic and have been enjoying it for about 3 weeks. Then I had to replace my Pre twice due to a crack in the case. Now when I try to set up Audible, I get the message that I've exceeded the number of activated devices. There is no option to deactive. I've tried reinstalling Audible Player but get the same message. Any suggestions?
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelela56 View Post
    I've learned a lot from this forum and particularly this thread. I watch this thread regularly as Audible is what makes my 1 1/2 hour drive to work bearable. Using the instructions here I was able to get Audible working in Classic and have been enjoying it for about 3 weeks. Then I had to replace my Pre twice due to a crack in the case. Now when I try to set up Audible, I get the message that I've exceeded the number of activated devices. There is no option to deactive. I've tried reinstalling Audible Player but get the same message. Any suggestions?
    Give audible a call. They will reset your activations. You can only activate 3 mobile players. Have them reset all of your devices. The only way to do it is to call unfortunately.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelela56 View Post
    Audible Manager on your computer can deactivate a portable device but ONLY if you connect that device. If you need to deactivate a Pre that you no longer have, then you have to call Audible (as stated by Mabmarc).

The number is 888-283-5051.

More information from Audible at Using Audible from Multiple Computers and/or Portable Devices.
    Palm: V > M505 > Treo 700p > Prē
    Apple: iPad 1
    Well, given that a bunch of you have seemed to figured out how to get Audible to work, I am ready to get a Pre !!!

I am an audible addict and could not consider it until a solid workaround was in place.

Once I get 'er installed I will report back.

Thanks to everyone for sharing .... really.
    I can also confirm that I have it working quite well now. It's activated properly, and Audible Air works too! I did have to install No-Doze though to keep it from locking up (going to sleep) after a few minutes of playback...
    Quote Originally Posted by wcarlson40 View Post
    I can also confirm that I have it working quite well now. It's activated properly, and Audible Air works too! I did have to install No-Doze though to keep it from locking up (going to sleep) after a few minutes of playback...

does it play back through a bluetooth headset (a2dp) ?
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wcarlson40 View Post
    Thanks to everybody who helped figure out the "sleep" mode problem.

I installed Nodoze (Thanks http://forums.precentral.net/members/gpfountz.html. His App is discussed here: http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ml#post1891531).

This morning Audible (under Classic) played my audio book on battery power for all of my 45 minute commute -- no stuttering or freezing.

My PrPrPr&#$275$; $just$ $got$ $better$!

-- Bruce
    Palm: V > M505 > Treo 700p > Prē
    Apple: iPad 1
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Thanks to everybody who helped figure out the "sleep" mode problem.

I installed Nodoze (Thanks http://forums.precentral.net/members/gpfountz.html. His App is discussed here: http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ml#post1891531).

This morning Audible (under Classic) played my audio book on battery power for all of my 45 minute commute -- no stuttering or freezing.

My PrPrPr&#$275$; $just$ $got$ $better$!

-- Bruce
    It is nearly perfect for me now as well. To the point where I'd like a 'real app' just because it'd probably load a bit faster and because there are still a couple glitches.
    1) Real versions can stop if a call comes in etc. Can't do that with this Rube Goldberg edition. I believe this was done by not enabling background playback in old version
    2) Sometimes if I pause it for some length of time more than maybe a minute (don't really know) without throwing the whole classic card it will stop responding. The whole Pre stops. Big PIA when driving because it requires a reboot and plugging in the car charger. It'll play forever but God help me if I pause and don't kill classic... Anyone else seeing these?

Adding this 110209... New glitch...sometimes if I throw away the Audible card it leaves classic running but unresponsive. Gotta do the whole reboot thing for that too. So close audible then close classic card...
    Last edited by hdhuntr; 11/02/2009 at 01:19 PM. Reason: new info
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Update for thread followers. Bottom up...

Recently, you requested personal assistance via our on-line support center. Below is our response and a summary of your request.

Subject
    [Incident: 090604-000670] [Incident: 090611-001808]

Discussion Thread
    Response (Dara K.) 11/03/2009 06:42 AM
    Dear Dave,

Thank you for responding back to my email. At this time, we do not have a beta application for the Palm Pre. I will be happy to notify you of when a beta application is available. We do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. We appreciate your feedback, and I will definitely forward your suggestion to my supervisor to pass it along to the correct department. Have a great day!

For additional questions, how to contact us and hours of operation, please visit us at: www.audible.com/contactus

Sincerely,
    Dara K.
    Audible Customer Support
    Customer (Dave Staats) 11/03/2009 06:25 AM
    What I would like is Beta of the app. I am probably qualified as anyone
    short of a developer to test it. I don't want a refund because I have a
    workaround. Probably good for Audible to hurry up before others who are not
    loyal subscribers like me begin using the same kinds of workarounds...
    On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 7:12 PM, Audible Customer Support <
    audible@custhelp.com> wrote:

Response (Dara K.) 11/02/2009 08:11 PM
    Dear Dave,

I understand that you are interested in using the Palm Pre device with the Audible service. To be honest, we are working to release an application that will allow the playback from the Palm Pre. However there is no estimated time as to when it will be released, as we want to make sure that the application is fully operational.

Please be advised that we are working as fast as we can towards this matter, as there are many loyal customers such as yourself now using the Palm Pre. I do apologize for the inconvenience that was caused. Please respond back to this email if you still would like to request a refund, and I will be happy to further assist you.

Thank you for contacting us here at Audible and have a great day!

For additional questions, how to contact us and hours of operation, please visit us at: www.audible.com/contactus

Sincerely,
    Dara K.
    Audible Customer Support
    11/02/2009 02:34 PM
    Audible player for the Palm Pre and WEBOS. Can you please tell me the latest on this?
    Thanks,Dave.
    For those interested in a way to make audible.com book work within webOS, I've found this solution, however, it's not free. Download All Music Converter from Convert All Music: Copy All WMA, MP4, RealPlayer music to MP3, iPod and other MP3 players . It costs from $19.99 to $39.99 with a free trial to test it. I bought the $19.99 version and it's painfully slow, but it does work.

Then using Music Player (Remix), which allows bookmarks and resume play, I've been listening to my audible.com books for a week now. Music (Remix) is available here: http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...yer-remix.html
    Format 4 was never supported on the Palm Treo (running Palm OS). You must download audiobooks from Audible in Format 3 for Palm OS (including the Classic emulator on the Pre). Format 3 uses a lower bit-rate which translates into smaller files.

Alternatively, download Format 4, then convert aa files to MP3 files and listen with the Music App.

[I never understood why the Audible player on the Treo was limited to Format 3, since other programs, such as pTunes, had no problem playing MP3 files which are the equivalent of Format 4. Perhaps they thought people would be downloading direct to the phone and wanted to reduce data minutes.]

I hope this helps. Although I got Audible to run in Classic on my Pre, I too had the stuttering problem. For now, I am continuing to use my deactivated Treo to play audiobooks from Audible.

-- Bruce
    This is not true.
    The palm player has been able to play format 4 for at least over a year, maybe over 2!
    It's just the stupid desktop app that still does not know this.
    If you download format 4 on the pc and then manuall drag to the palm via card reader (or in the case of a Pre, by just hooking up the usb cable in usb drive mode) the player plays them just fine.
    Similarly, on a real palm or treo device where audible air works, you can download format 4 directly in audible air and play them just fine.

I don't remember if the real treo could play the new E/enhanced format though (better than 4). And definitely the directshow filter can not play the E format so you have to use one of the various klunky methods described here if you want to convert E format to mp3.

I don't know why anyone is still messing with the many manual steps and burning cds (even virtual ones) etc.. I'm telling you that explorer integration with dbpoweramp is 2 clicks right in explorer, done. format 4 or lower. Then at play-time, even though the music player really sucks, even the remix (sorry, I know you're just working with the crap Palm gave you) , but, at least since you're playing an mp3 in the regular player, it integrates cleanly with the rest of the OS, ie, it pauses itself during incoming/outgoing calls, and doesn't consume the horsepower that classic requires, plays fine over A2DP.

However, I am amazed to hear that audible air actually works now?
    THAT is a huge deal.

--
    bkw
    Last edited by KEYofR; 11/03/2009 at 05:34 PM.
    Code:
    Brian K. White  --  brian@aljex.com  --  http://www.aljex.com/bkw/
    +++++[>+++[>+++++>+++++++<<-]<-]>>+.>.+++++.+++++++.-.[>+<---]>++.
    filePro BBx  Linux SCO  Prosper/FACTS AutoCAD  #callahans Satriani
    Laridian, the makers of MyBible, will be working with the Simple Bible people to provide their content for the Pre.

I've asked audible to work with DrPodder the same way. DrPodder can require password information for some content or is working on it. Perhaps others can contact audible with the same request so that we can easily use our Pre for audio books. If other security conscience (copy right) providers can work with an app that is already developed so that it gets to the users quicker, why not audible?
    question for anyone using soundtaxi. I just got it for .aa file conversion. the first book i converted is says 7hour 45 min but after conversion the mp3 says 7 hour 10 min. anybody have this issue?
    what file format is best for conversion with soundtaxi? any advice?
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast