Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jc924 View Post
    I have Audible loaded in and it works, but there are issues.

1) There are occasional stutters. Once they start they tend to get more frequent until I have to stop the book and start over.

2) At times when I am in Audible I get the "blue screen of death" in Classic and have to shut Classic down and start again. When I start again it has lost where I was and reverts back to the last bookmark.

3) At times it causes the Pre to restart. Interestingly, while it is restarting (the white Palm pulses on the black background) the book continues to play until the restart completes and then stops.
    I get the same problems on mine. But, one thing I discovered is that after beginning to play my audiobook, if I click the find button in Classic (hour glass button in the lower right), and leave the find prompt up while listening to the book, it doesn't seem to crash out. I've done this at least 5 times now with no crashes or restarts.... might be coincidence, but perhaps others would like to test it out too....

Then when I am done listening to the book, I cancel the find, pause the book, and go back to the classic home screen and kill classic with an up swipe. So far, I haven't lost my place yet....

Hope this is helpful.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Hi there... I am using Classic and have the Audible icon on the Pre. When I go to add .aa files I can see the book on Audible list but when I select it Classic goes all Blue Screen on me.

Can anyone provide any guidance. I using a MacBookPro if that makes a difference.. Thnks.
    What?
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Do a web search for DRMBuster. This will make your audible files work as MP3 files for your Pre. It's kindof pricey ($50) but, it *does* work. This doesn't fix all of the problems with the audio playback application on the Pre though.

Notably: My playback issues for audible books on the pre are mostly related to pausing the playback in the middle of a 6 hour file and then somehow (fat finger usually) losing my place in the book. Bonus coolness though: If you unplug the audio jack, the Pre playback app pauses.

Nerp
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by noaxis2 View Post
    Thanks for all the tips! I, too, will still be using my iPod. Mainly because I like carrying a large collection of music, books, videos, movies, etc. The 8 GB on the Pre are fine with me. Of course, more is always better with memory but I don't have an iPod touch because I would still feel like I needed to carry my large capacity iPod just in case I wanted to hear or see something.

However...how are people naming their files to keep them in order? I tried one of the Harry Potter books which line up nicely in iTunes when I sort by title but were all mixed up on the Pre.
    As Lite Blue pointed out, its all about the naming. The reason the HP book is in order in iTunes is probably because it is listing the files by Track Name. Track Name is only one of many attributes that a group of files can be sorted. Now when you transfer the files over to the pre, you have to choose how you want to display the files. When you start the music app you will have choices on how you want the tracks listed first like by artist or album or songs etc. Now if there happened to be one global attribute that was not exactly typed the same like for instance for the "Artist", some of the tracks show show "J.K. Rowling" but others may show "Jim Dale" who is the reader of the audiobook. Still other tracks may show the "Artist" as "JK Rowling" without the periods after the initials. The pre will automatically order things around according to all of the attributes so 15 or so of the tracks will be under J.K. Rowling and 60 will be under Jim Dale and the rest will be under JK Rowling but when you try to view the audiobook under "Songs" the pre will still remember the different artist attributes and will try to order the tracks that way even though you didn't choose the "artist" sort method. You will then maybe see that the track titles will be listed correctly on order for the first 15 tracks and then the next 60 tracks that have "Jim Dale" as the artist will be listed and then the rest will be under JK Rowling. It will be a mess! That's why naming every attribute exactly the same-except for the track title file name and/or track # is critical if tracks need to be played in a particular sequence. Another option is to create a playlist and drop the tracks in the order you want in there and then transfer the playlist to the pre. This might work for you. I tried to create the playlist through nero as an .m3u file but the pre did not recognize for some reason. If the other poster who said that Palm may have the Audible app for the pre ready by Thanksgiving then I can wait.....
    I just spoke with an Audible rep on chat, asking about support for the Pre. Here is the text of our conversation:

"Dara K.: Hi, my name is Dara K.. How may I help you?

JackG058: Hi. Do you know if Audible has plans to support the new Palm Pre webOS?

Dara K.: I understand that you are inquiring as to when the Palm Pre will be supported by Audible. To be honest, we are working to release an application that will allow the playback from the Palm Pre. However there is no estimated time as to when it will be released, as we want to make sure that the application is fully operational.

Dara K.: Please be advised that we are working as fast as we can towards this matter, as there are many loyal customers such as yourself now using the Palm Pre.

JackG058: Very good. I just wanted to confirm that Audible is working to support it. I love my Audible books and already miss them, but I'm staying on my Pre with this info. Thank you."

So, Audible is aware of the great interest we have in full support. I read somewhere that a developer that wrote a program for the iPhone/iPod Touch took several weeks to write it, whereas the same program for the Pre took a couple of days. I'm just adding that because I wouldn't think it would be too long to get a decent program out to us with the ease of the webOS.
    Thanks for the update on Audible's development status.
    Thanks, because getting it to work in Classic is a pain. I did a full reset my device and now can't get it to install. I may just wait for them to get it up and running and use the iPod in the interim.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Update....but not really...
    [10:40:51 AM] David Staats: Hi...Can you give me the latest update on how much longer it will be before I can use my Audible content on my Palm Pre?
    [10:41:20 AM] Courtney J.: I apologize for the inconvenience. I will be more than happy to assist you.
    [10:42:27 AM] Courtney J.: I do apologize but we do not have an ETA when the device will be compatible.
    [10:44:09 AM] David Staats: I wish someone would take ownership of this problem. Much more complicated "homebrew' applications are being developed and released every day. I'd hate to resort to some ot the solutions out there that circumvent the DRM aspect of the code.
    [10:45:30 AM] Courtney J.: Once again, I do apologize for the inconvenience. I will pass your feedback to the appropriate department.
    Treo 300,600,650,755p and now Pre
    I can't wait for this app.
    I broke down & re-installed to classic, but I don't use it even 1/2 of the time that I'd use an audible app that was native to the Pre.
    Wow, I am holding off now on my plan to replace my Treo 700wx with a Palm Pre. It looks like too much hassle to get it to work with Audible. I am going to wait for native Audible support. I send an official request for an update to the Audible Support Department. If/when I learn anything, I will udpate this thread.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    So I found a pretty good work around for those that love audible as much as I do.

First get soundtaxi platinum ($20):
    Convert ANY Music: Copy WMA music to MP3, iPod and other MP3 players
    Use it to convert your DRM audible files to MP3s

Then gain Linux access:
    Next steps - WebOS Internals

Apply patches:
    Applying Patches - WebOS Internals

And choose the media player bookmarking patch:
    Patch MediaPlayer Bookmarking - WebOS Internals

The bookmarking has worked perfectly. I am a complete novice and was able to figure it out, it was definitely worth it. Hope this helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by tearaway View Post
    Wow, I am holding off now on my plan to replace my Treo 700wx with a Palm Pre. It looks like too much hassle to get it to work with Audible. I am going to wait for native Audible support. I send an official request for an update to the Audible Support Department. If/when I learn anything, I will udpate this thread.
    This is what I got back from Audible

Dear Thomas,

I understand that you would like to know if you will be able to use the new Palm Pre to download the books to. Unfortunately, at first the Pre will not be audible ready. The technicians have said that they are looking in to compatibility but no definite word whether it will be or won't. We have been recording requests about the new phone so the technicians can discuss with Palm about creating an application or some kind of software to allow the play back of the audible books. I will be sure to forward this request to the tech so they know of the request.

Thank you for using Audible and have a good day.

Sincerely,
    Angelys R.
    Audible Customer Support

Add your voice and tell Audible you want native Audible support on the Pre!
  14. FON
    Here is another solution to convert audible .aa files to MP3 format. This originated some time lago when there were lots of MP3 players not certified by Audible. I already use GoldWave 5.52 and AudibleManager 5.5 on my PC so all I needed was the AudibleMediaPlayerFilter to get it working. I still have to drag the output file to the Pre but I can live with that until someone comes out with an over-the-air player. The steps to cut a lengthy track into multiple files will help those of us who do not want to do the bookmark patch via root thing.

chuckegg.com/how-can-i-convert-audiblecom-aa-files-to-mp3-audio-files/#comment-3943
    Last edited by FON; 11/07/2009 at 07:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by quest1772 View Post
    So I found a pretty good work around for those that love audible as much as I do.

First get soundtaxi platinum ($20):
    Convert ANY Music: Copy WMA music to MP3, iPod and other MP3 players
    Use it to convert your DRM audible files to MP3s

Then gain Linux access:
    Next steps - WebOS Internals

Apply patches:
    Applying Patches - WebOS Internals

And choose the media player bookmarking patch:
    Patch MediaPlayer Bookmarking - WebOS Internals

The bookmarking has worked perfectly. I am a complete novice and was able to figure it out, it was definitely worth it. Hope this helps.
    looks intriguing, how long did the entire process take? what risk do you take in screwing up pre? do you have to reload everything after rooting? sorry fro all the silly questions but as an audible and podcast listener this is the first time i may actually hack into it, bookmarks would be awesome
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    I am pasting in one of my prior posts. The process took me 2 hours but might take others less. If you just read all my prior posts on this thread (that incorporate some info from other helpful people) you can have Classic running Audible on an unrooted Pre with bookmarks just like on the 755p. If you do the "find" trick it pretty much works normally except for a stutter now and then. I'd still like an official app but I don't worry about it daily anymore... Good luck. D.
    "HUGE thanks to rlanza and mabmark. I have audible and the Classic emulator actually seems to be emulating. If I can do this then the rest of you can. I have NO idea why it took 2 solid hours of installing and reinstalling classic and the rom updater etc etc. I must have hooked into usb mode 10 times before I finally got classic to run without the blue screen. In the end....it appears that the newest version of classic may not need the danged updater and each of the steps these guys describe is correct once you get each step to happen properly. For the guys who have everything but sound ...check this... I think classic installs in 'fast' mode by default so in preferences change it to "normal" mode and then the sound option won't be grayed out. This is just a flipping dream!!! I plan to carry my 755iPod for a while until I know this will stick though :-) Oh and TY to rc46 for the handy link too.

Part Deux... I guess I'll just keep editing this. I set it on the stone with the app still sitting there running (but not playing). It blue-screened in about a helf hour. I rebooted the whole phone and it came back with all the samples again (after I had deleted them) AND the two aa files I had installed. I deleted the samples again and started the book I am listening to again and it was ok. I turned it off this time.

Ok, now it is the next day after I started this. I used it 3 times and each time it'd go for a while with some intermittent "Max Headroom" kind of sounds now and then but each time it eventually blue-screened to the "Palm OS didn't like your cologne" screen. Re-booting the phone gets it to start again. I suspect it has something to do with the multi-tasking stuff and I am no SW engineer. I went to turn on 'enable Audible to run in background' because I always left it off before and thought that was default but it was already checked. I am carrying my iPodMega until I see if I can get it stable...

And, no, I have not tried bluetooth with it. One one hand, it seems like it ought to work as well as anything else with bluetooth. On the other hand, it seems like you'd want to have Rube Goldberg's number for tech support.
    Quote Originally Posted by tearaway View Post
    This is what I got back from Audible

Dear Thomas,

I understand that you would like to know if you will be able to use the new Palm Pre to download the books to. Unfortunately, at first the Pre will not be audible ready. The technicians have said that they are looking in to compatibility but no definite word whether it will be or won't. We have been recording requests about the new phone so the technicians can discuss with Palm about creating an application or some kind of software to allow the play back of the audible books. I will be sure to forward this request to the tech so they know of the request.

Thank you for using Audible and have a good day.

Sincerely,
    Angelys R.
    Audible Customer Support

Add your voice and tell Audible you want native Audible support on the Pre!
    Here's what I got back from Audible...

Dear John,

Thank you for contacting Audible.com and as per your email, I understand that you would like to know it there's plans to support the Palm Pre. At this time, the manufacturer of the Palm Pre has chosen not to make this device compatible with the .aa file format so we do not know when we will be supporting this device.

To make a device compatible with the .aa format means supporting our encryption, this protects the publishers’ copyrights as well as implementing key usability features, such as section navigation and resume playback. And with this new OS on the Palm Pre, there still needs to be testing done.

Each manufacturer must be willing to alter the device firmware to make it compatible with Audible. Some manufacturers do not wish to make this change. This is why some devices are not compatible with our content. As always, have a great day and enjoy the rest of your day.

For additional questions, how to contact us and hours of operation, please visit us at [the web site].

Sincerely,
    Lewis T.
    Audible Customer Support

----

Does anyone know how to contact Palm to request this support within the firmware?
    I emailed Audible last week and they said nothiing they could do till Palm provided "support" I emailed them back and said the developers kit is on the Palm site. That they needed to get it and work on it because I do believe alot of people who bought the Pre do a variety of things, and reading is probably #1 or close to it. I mentioned what are you gonna do when people find a audiobook program to work?? I wouldn't count on Audible doing much they are now part of Amazon. I tried using a ripped Cd of a book in mp3 format couldn't find it on the Pre although I put it under music. iTunes will NOT let you sync with audible as it has drm and just won't work. I tried an open source ebook already in MP3 format and it show on the pre but when you unhook your usb can find the file in the pre. If anyone has gotten this to work please let us all know.
    I just downloaded AllMusicConverter Platinum (allmusicplayer.com) and it works perfectly converting all of my downloaded Audible books (i.e., .aa files) to mp3 format. This is a good workaround for the time being. Although you will not have bookmarks, you can download the "Music (Remix)" homebrew app which will let you know the exact hour/minute mark where you stop reading. I just make a note for the book I am reading and write down the hour/minute mark where I left off.
    I don't yet have a Pre because of the Audible problem, But I think I have a better answer for converting .aa to .other

dBpoweramp integrates into explorer right-click menus to make it effortless to convert audio files, and to edit tags if you want. And there is a way to get it to be able to handle .aa files by installing the Audible DirectShow Filter. This is an old thing Audible has removed from their site and have basically tried to erase from the net, but you can still find it by googling. Also you can get it by installing some old versions of desktop manager that included it (2006)
    Next element is, for speed, get the full Reference version of dBpoweramp, as that gets you some commercial encoders, including Helix mp3, which I just found to be insanely faster than anything else.

It's a slight chore getting dBpoweramp and the audible directshow filter set up, but once it is it's effortless to use after that, and the recipe is actually pretty short:

To allow dBpoweramp to convert Audible.com books:

1 - Install .NET Framework 1.0 or copy MSVCI70.DLL to C:\Windows\System32
    Might need msvcr70.dll too. (google for these)
    2 - Install the Audible DirectShow filter. (or an old 2006 audible manager, again, have to google for unofficial copies out there in the wild)
    3 - Install dBpoweramp.
    4 - Install the dBpoweramp Directshow filter.
    5 - Verify %APPDATA%\dbpoweramp\directshow.txt contains a line with just ".aa"
    or else, add it.

You should now be able to right click on a .aa file and "Convert To"

Only works for audible format 4 or lower.
    The new "enhanced" format is .aax extension and even if you add .aax
    to directshow.txt, the old audible directshow filter doesn't know how
    to decode the new codec.

Format 4 = mp3 32kbps.

Benchmarks / Comparison

Sample input: ScienceNewsAugust222009_mp332_xxx.aa
    Audible Format 4 .aa (mp3 32kbps) 12578 KB
    Hardware: Sony Vaio TZ core2duo 1.2ghz WinXPsp3

The top line is a reference high-quality convert using Fraunhofer IIS commercial encoder using slow high quality algorithm outputting 128Kbps mp3. The sound is perfect, as in, when using a high-end pair of Sony ear buds, I almost can't hear the difference between playing the original format 4 .aa in the desktop player on a pc, and playing the mp3 in VLC or Media Player on the same pc.
    Anywhere I didn't supply quality notes, the sound is basically "almost perfect" Usually I can detect a difference compared to the desktop player, but it's utterly negligible.
    In a few cases the very low bandwidth encoding was obvious very different from the original, but not necessarily in a bad way. The result is sill pleasant to listen to.
    I used a simpl 1 to 5 scale. 5 is perfect or very close, 4 is easily detectible but not yet annoying, 3 is still tolerable if you didn't have better options, 1 is terrible. intelligible, but really terrible.
    Except for the one reference at the top, in most cases once the quality got bad or the filesize got large or the speed got slow I didn't bother testing that encoder out to it's stupid extremes of bitrate or other quality options, as obviously they only get worse. IE, at higher bitrates, the file size only increases, so once its' too big already, not need to find out just how big it can get. I mostly tried to come as close as each encoder allowed to the sources 32kbps, and worked out from there in both directions until some factor got too bad to practically tolerate, output quality, encode speed, output file size.
    The speed column is in "x" as in, the Fraunhofer fast/low-quality encoder encoded at 100x real time.
    The speeds are obviously machine dependant. My machine was a 1.2ghz ultra low power core2duo laptop. (Vaio TZ, small as a netbook) using the built in intel sound.
    dBpoweramp can use all cpu cores at once, but for these tests I only converted one file at a time, which only uses one cpu core, though the OS still gets to use the other core which probably helps the encode go a little faster by not having to be interrupted.

These aren't all mp3.

Fraunhofer : mp3
    Helix : mp3
    Lame : mp3
    Apple : m4a
    Nero : m4a
    Ogg : ogg
    Speex : spx
    WMA : wma
    Real : ra

Code:
    Encoder         options                speed X  size KB  quality/notes
    --------------  ---------------------  -------  -------  ------------------
    Fraunhofer IIS  128k slow/hi-qual                 50277  5 Reference
    Fraunhofer IIS  32k slow/hi-qual            35    12540  5
    Fraunhofer IIS  32k fast/lo-qual           100    12540  4.8
    Helix           vbr q0                     130    11662  4.8
    Helix           vbr q10                    140    11662  
    Helix           vbr q20                    133    12114
    Helix           vbr q30                    135    12838
    Helix           vbr q40                    133    13800
    Helix           vbr q50                    134    14670
    Helix           cbr 48                     125    18901
    Lame            32k cbr slow/hi-qual        30    12599
    Lame            32k cbr fast/lo-qual        80    12599  
    Lame            vbr q9 slow/hi-qual         62    13601
    Lame            vbr q9 normal               62    13601
    Lame            vbr q9 fast/lo-qual         70    13770
    WMA 10 pro      vbr q10                      9    16866  3
    WMA 10 pro      vbr q50                     16    15378  4
    Ogg             cbr 48                      35    12857
    Ogg             vbr q -.1                   40     8751  3
    Ogg             vbr q 0                     40    10733
    Ogg             vbr q .1                    38    12683
    Ogg             vbr q .5                    39    18940
    Apple lossless                             115    72911
    Nero aac        cbr 32k                     56    12745
    Nero aac        vbr q.15 (32k)              59     4070  1
    Nero aac        vbr q.25 (64k)              55     5666  1
    Nero aac        vbr q.35 (100k)             45    10179  3
    Nero aac        vbr q.45 (150k)             45    14690
    Nero aac        vbr q.5 (170k)              46    16731
    Speex           vbr q8 (34k)                10     8056  3
    Real            vbr 70% voice fast          25    38348  
    Real            256k voice fast             40    25673
    Real            64k voice fast              50    12908  4
    Real            56k voice fast              50    12908  4
    Real            28k voice fast              17     6583  4 (better than 64, hi-pass smoothes out digital buzz, makes slightly muffled but nicer sound)
    Winner in my book: Helix mp3, VBR Quality 10.

Another run, larger book and taking advantage of dBpoweramps multi cpu ability.
    Select both files at once in explorer (ctrl-click),
    right-click, Convert To, Helix mp3 vbr q10

Code:
    Audible Format 4                            Length   File sizes KB 
                                                         .aa      .mp3
    TheWindsOfDuneUnabridgedPart1_mp332_xxx.aa  8:41:32  121952   109537  
    TheWindsOfDuneUnabridgedPart2_mp332_xxx.aa  8:37:45  121069   108400

Speed 230x
    Total book time:    17:19:17
    Total encode time:  00:04:30
    Total .aa size:     243021
    Total .mp3 size:    217937
    The other major advantage is the ease of use.
    Once you have the directshow filter and dppoweramp set up, it's just right-clicks right in explorer. It's even easy to pull up the right folders in explorer because, the current audible download manager has a button to open the download folder, and when you insert a card in a reader (regular sd in a laptop sd card slot, or microSD in a usb keychain reader (comes with sandisc card) the window pops up for that too automatically, so you have both windows ready to go with no effort in a couple seconds, long before a download is done anyways. Once a download is done, Just right-click convert, then drag & drop to the palm card via card reader. Or select more than one before convert, and it will make use of multiple cpu's and do as many simultaneously as your cpu can handle.
    The total convert and file copy time for both files is far less than doing a regular transfer of either one (single) of the same .aa files via usb sync cable in the audible manager app, so I've been using a card reader for years anyways. And, the desktop manager refuses to beleive that my device can play format-4 files unless the device is connected by the usb sync cable, so, since I want format 4, I have been manually dragging the files over ever since they updated the palm player to support format 4. So, the extra convert step is practically no extra when it's right in explorer like this and especially when it's so ridiculous fast thanks to the combo of the fast Helix encoder and dBpoweramp automatically using all available cpu cores to double/quadruple/more? even that.

Now that it's this effortless and fast to convert the files, And given the bookmarking patches for the Pre media player that quest1772 provided, NOW I think I can actually go get a Pre and retire my Centro.
    Code:
    Brian K. White  --  brian@aljex.com  --  http://www.aljex.com/bkw/
    +++++[>+++[>+++++>+++++++<<-]<-]>>+.>.+++++.+++++++.-.[>+<---]>++.
    filePro BBx  Linux SCO  Prosper/FACTS AutoCAD  #callahans Satriani
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast