Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by exieramos View Post
    Link in quote removed-can't post those yet

I use this same technique however, I use Audible's "Audible Manager" which integrates nicely with Nero 9. From Audible Manager, I click on the Nero CD Burner under Mobile Devices, highlight the book I want to convert and then click on Burn to CD's with Nero. As stated above, however, instead of burning to CD's you point Nero to a virtual drive ( I use Magic ISO). Once the 8 or so Virtual CD's are finished, you can use pretty much any audio ripper program to create mp3's from the virtual cd's you just created.

Although the Pre's player doesn't support bookmarks yet, it does multitask and keeping the Music App open (just pause to save your spot) works fine as a bookmarking feature-just don't close the music app! But now that I see that the Classic App along with the Palm OS Audible client seems to be working on the Pre (with bookmarking) I may go ahead and pay for those apps to make it a little more convenient to listen to my Audio Books.
    thanks for tip about audible manager and nero, what ripping program do u use, and do you use anything to edit the id3 tags? i am not happy with how itunes names/tags the tracks it gets confusing on the pre when there are 3 track 1's ect...
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    This will unzip the AudibleInstaller.prc into your Palm Install directory. You might have to install Palm desktop / Hotsync to create that directory.
    I was finally able to get the Installer to work. I followed the above directions in these forums to the letter more than a dozen times and could not get the installer to work. But then I tried something that maybe the authors here thought was implicit, but was not obvious. You can't just copy the AudiblePlayerPack-Installer.prc to your PalmPre and run it in MA Classic -- at least in my case, this did not work. Whenever I tried, the "Please Wait" would pop up as it tried to run the installer, but it never successfully ran, so it never installed the archived prc files.

I finally got this to work by doing a HotSync to my old PalmOS device (a Centro in my case) and then copied the AudiblePlayerPack-Installer.prc from there to my PalmPre. Here's how:

I ran the AudiblePlayerSetup.exe on my PC and then performed the HotSync to my Centro. This HotSync would seem to establish WHICH HotSyncID can install the app. Once the HotSync completes, the PalmOS device tries to install the app at this point. DO NOT LET IT DO THIS. If you do, it happily installs Audible to your old PalmOS device, and then deletes the AudiblePlayerPack-Installer.prc that you need. You can cancel the install safely.

Once this is done, you'll have the AudiblePlayerPack-Installer icon on your Launcher screen. Copy that app from your PDA/Phone memory to the internal card memory. From there, copy that prc of your card back to your PC. You might do this by taking out your card, and copying it off, or using the excellent Card Export app (which is how I did it).

Now, this AudiblePlayerPack-Installer.prc is somehow magically ready to be copied to your Palm Pre via USB mode.

Quote Originally Posted by rc46
    Connect to your PC and copy that .prc file into your /classicapp/palm/launcher/ folder. Fire up classic, select the catagory "internal" and click on the Audible installer .prc file. This will install the audible player in your classic ROM and create your folder for your audio books.
    Finally, I saw the tell-tale signs of the install -- the little blue lights progress indicator, file names flashing by as it copies.

I then ran the familiar green Audible app and all was well. I input my username and password, and then it successfully downloaded a sample chapter. It played perfectly.

Audible Air does not (seem to) work, so again, you need to copy your *.aa audible files from your PC to your phone in USB mode, into the /classicapps/audibleaudio/ folder. Then close Classic, and rerun it, and rerun Audible, and it should find your books.

I am a very happy man right now. I hope this description of the extra mile I had to go helps others who are still not able to get the app installed.

Good luck!
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    worked as explained. many thanks
    any new updates allowing listening to audible through classic over bluetooth?

i know it is unlikely but i can dream
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lite blue View Post
    any new updates allowing listening to audible through classic over bluetooth?

i know it is unlikely but i can dream
    didn't work, even on a2dp enabled bt headset that handled music and podcasts through pre player. If someone gets this working please inform!
    I have followed the posts and got Audible installed on the Pre - it seems fine, finds the books, seems to play, pauses and remembers where I was, but I get no sound either wired ear buds or stereo BT. Seems some of you have made this work, I wish I could find what is missing. I have Classic in Normal mode. Any ideas?
    Originaly posted by MikeOz:
    I have followed the posts and got Audible installed on the Pre - it seems fine, finds the books, seems to play, pauses and remembers where I was, but I get no sound either wired ear buds or stereo BT. Seems some of you have made this work, I wish I could find what is missing. I have Classic in Normal mode. Any ideas?
    This was frustrating for me so I may not be the best person to describe the steps:
    * Launch Classic
    * Tap the classic tab in the left hand corner so that it show the gray options like when you're selecting wi-fi or bluetooth. If it shows main, menu, etc it's the wrong one.
    * Tap options
    * Tap preference
    * Tap sound on
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    I was thinking of starting a new thread for those who have Audible working on Classic but it may be best to keep it all together. Anyhow, I can use this now and know how to load the files and it plays well through the car setup(tape adapter)...BUT...There still seem to be cetain events happening in the Pre that turn off the program. I am betting this is happening for others. Please keep us updated with anything that increases stability. The next time I have an opportunity (like Thursday on a flight) I plan to see if it helps to have it in airplane mode. I already have the audible program checked off for running in background. By the way, it is not a huge deal to restart when the crash happens but right now when it does I have to reboot the phone and it goes to the bookmark from the previous start so there's a lot of place-finding...
    Treo 300,600,650,755p and now Pre
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lite blue View Post
    thanks for tip about audible manager and nero, what ripping program do u use, and do you use anything to edit the id3 tags? i am not happy with how itunes names/tags the tracks it gets confusing on the pre when there are 3 track 1's ect...
    When you mount one of the virtual CD's (using your preferred free ISO mounting program) a "Media Inserted" pop-up will usually come up and Windows Media Player (or iTunes) with options to rip should be available. Since I have Nero installed, I chose to rip with Nero.

Yeah, I feel your pain on the ID3 tags. It all depends on how you want to manage the audio book on your pre. Nero allows you to name everything before you rip-except track number. So when you mount the virtual CD using MagicISO or other program that can mount .nrg images, the nero ripping app should automatically start. All 10 or so tracks will come up untitled so if you want to manage only by track number then don't do anything with the track titles but you need to put in an Album title which is a global field to the right of the titles. Click Start and and it will rip all tracks into the Album. You will have to do this multiple times as there are usually 7 or 8 virtual CD's per 15-20 hour book. Now when you transfer these albums to your pre, you will have to choose the Album and track to start playing. Once that album's tracks have finished playing, then the Music App will stop and you have to choose the next Album containing the next 10 or so tracks. If you don't want to choose a new album every hour or so then before transferring the Albums to your pre, create one Main Album that you will be transferring to the pre and fill it with all of the tracks of each of the Albums you created for the book. The trick is filling the one Main Album with the tracks from each of the smaller Albums AFTER you've edited the Track # for each track in the Album. Make sure they are in sequence so Album 1's 10 or so tracks are already done-just transfer the tracks over. Album 2's 10 or so tracks will have to be renamed following with the next 10 numbers from where the previous album's tracks left off-and so on. You can edit the track numbers of each track by clicking on it's properties and renaming the Track number in the Details tab. This will be very tedious work (which I do for every audio book I put on the pre) but it does make it look more organized visually in the music app to see all 160 or so tracks and flicking your way up and down through them . If Palm can release an Audible App for the Pre (which I hear is being worked on) in a couple more months then I will definitely be spending less time in front of my PC ripping audiobooks and enjoying listening to them instead!
    Ya I have been using itunes to rip and name tracks/album. As you said the trick is in the naming so that they proceed in the correct order on the pre. I name each virtual cd as book 1 then book 2 ect... So for the life of Pi that I am currently lstening I have seven tracks in Pi book 1 then 8 tracks in Pi book 2. It is a pain and I look forward to an audible app or stereobluetooth working through classic
    Global Posts
    225 Global Posts
    I have Audible loaded in Classic and it works, but there are issues.

1) There are occasional stutters. Once they start they tend to get more frequent until I have to stop the book and start over.

2) At times when I am in Audible I get the "blue screen of death" in Classic and have to shut Classic down and start again. When I start again it has lost where I was and reverts back to the last bookmark.

3) At times it causes the Pre to restart. Interestingly, while it is restarting (the white Palm pulses on the black background) the book continues to play until the restart completes and then stops.

I'm still happy to have Audible on my Pre but can't wait until we have an Audible app.
    Global Posts
    930 Global Posts
    Got it installed, not sure if correct file. It shows up in classic as audible, once I click on audible under classic, I get this....unable to find audible player skins. Reinstall correctly, have tried this multiple times, can someone post most recent PRC file. Please help.

Got it working finally!!!
    Last edited by imex99; 07/11/2009 at 07:59 PM.
    Global Posts
    930 Global Posts
    Can you put non audible files in the audible folder so the audible player can play them? I have audiobooks from overdrive media that I would like to play but the default player is terrible for this....Ahy help or suggestions are appreciated.
    Originally posted by imex99:
    Got it working finally!!!
    Congratulations!!!

Originally posted by imex99:
    Can you put non audible files in the audible folder so the audible player can play them? I have audiobooks from overdrive media that I would like to play but the default player is terrible for this....Ahy help or suggestions are appreciated.
    No. The audible player will only play files from audible (special aa format). But if you have books in mp3, you don't want to play them in Classic. If you play them in the regular media player, you won't have to worry about the blue-screen and you can use a bluetooth headset.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    This will sound strange, but I was so happy to find this thread. I'm happy to see that I'm not the only one and this topic is getting attention. I have been really frustrated with not being able to play my audible content on the Pre. Trying to get the books from iTunes was the first thing I tried and as some people already mentioned, it does not recognize it.

For the time being I just carry my iPod around with me with my audible books. I find this to be so much simpler then going through the audio conversion headaches or even using Classic for it.

I have no doubts that Audible will have compatibility for the Pre setup by Thanksgiving. And by the way, they do have the mp3 format, it's just sitting under their wrapper so that they can do their DRM thing. Audible will have to write this app and add an extra format for all their content, so I am not surprised it's taking a while.
    Global Posts
    173 Global Posts
    Thanks for all the tips! I, too, will still be using my iPod. Mainly because I like carrying a large collection of music, books, videos, movies, etc. The 8 GB on the Pre are fine with me. Of course, more is always better with memory but I don't have an iPod touch because I would still feel like I needed to carry my large capacity iPod just in case I wanted to hear or see something.

However...how are people naming their files to keep them in order? I tried one of the Harry Potter books which line up nicely in iTunes when I sort by title but were all mixed up on the Pre.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    I'm just using my Centro. I got rid of 2 iPods, because I didn't need them anymore, I thought!!
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jc924 View Post
    I have Audible loaded in Classic and it works, but there are issues.

1) There are occasional stutters. Once they start they tend to get more frequent until I have to stop the book and start over.

2) At times when I am in Audible I get the "blue screen of death" in Classic and have to shut Classic down and start again. When I start again it has lost where I was and reverts back to the last bookmark.

3) At times it causes the Pre to restart. Interestingly, while it is restarting (the white Palm pulses on the black background) the book continues to play until the restart completes and then stops.

I'm still happy to have Audible on my Pre but can't wait until we have an Audible app.

This is exactly the same stuff I am getting. Some comfort in consistence, I guess.
    Treo 300,600,650,755p and now Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by noaxis2 View Post
    Thanks for all the tips! I, too, will still be using my iPod. Mainly because I like carrying a large collection of music, books, videos, movies, etc. The 8 GB on the Pre are fine with me. Of course, more is always better with memory but I don't have an iPod touch because I would still feel like I needed to carry my large capacity iPod just in case I wanted to hear or see something.

However...how are people naming their files to keep them in order? I tried one of the Harry Potter books which line up nicely in iTunes when I sort by title but were all mixed up on the Pre.
    Look about 5 posts up on the thread and exieramos and I explain how we each handle it. It is a pain because you either need to rename each track in the book to go in order, or separate every 10 tracks into a separate book (e.g. Harry potter book 1, harry potter book 2 ect...) it is a pain but it is all about the tags
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hdhuntr View Post
    This is exactly the same stuff I am getting. Some comfort in consistence, I guess.
    Ditto. Same symptoms except number three. When the Pre gets done with the reset the book continues plying until I start Classic again. Also, it does't seem to stutter, at least not as much, while in this state.

Another observation, when pluggen in it seems there is less stuttering and it seems to work much better!
    TTFN
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast