Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
    I've tried Classic with the Palm Audible app. Didn't work for me; I couldn't get the player to activate my account even with available devices in my account.
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Audible works for me too in Classic. However Audible Air does not work.

YES it does save your book mark. I played a sample book and it saved my spot at 20s. I closed Classic and re-opened it and it stayed at 20s. I resumed and it played from there.

I put one of my books in the audible audio folder under the classic apps and it showed up in my local library. I am listening to it right now. It works very well. This is a whole new ball game now.

Audio works through the wired headset but does not work through a bluetooth headset.
    Last edited by mabmarc; 06/23/2009 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Added a link to the video.
    Treo 300, Samsung I500, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700P, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, HTC Mogul, Motorola Q9c, HTC Advantage, Treo 800w, Touch Pro, Treo Pro, Touch Diamond, Palm Pre, Touch Pro 2, and Palm Pre
    No A2DP? that is a bummer and why i left the original iphone. anyone have any luck with stereo bluetooth and audible on classic? i would buy if that worked. in the meantime i guess i will continue to convert .aa to mp3 and splitting the mp3's into small enough parts to find my spot in the book. a pain but i like to listen on my bt530

i love my pre but i wish some of these apps such as audible would hurry up
    Audible Works in Classic, I installed and tested it out yesterday.

AudibleAir does not work!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    Audible Works in Classic, I installed and tested it out yesterday.

AudibleAir does not work!

Rob

have you tried stereo bluetooth (A2DP)?
    thanks
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lite blue View Post
    i have been searching for a good audible solution and this is the best i have found so far

A simple way to rip Audible .aa files to MP3

basically you use nero, to burn the book to cd's but instead of wasting 10 to 20 cd's you burn them to virtual cd's. then i mounted them on a virtual drive, i used power iso, but i think free deamon tools will work, and i used Itunes to rip the virtual cd's to mp3, and to tag the mp3 segments

It is a bit of a pain, but it seems to be okay with audible since you need to enter you audible account to get nero to work, and i ended up with my book in manageable nine minute segments. It is actually a nice way to get your books in mp3 format and much quicker than using software to record a book.

I still look foreward to an audible player for my pre which will keep my book at the correct spot or bookmark, but in the meantime this is one solution.
    Link in quote removed-can't post those yet

I use this same technique however, I use Audible's "Audible Manager" which integrates nicely with Nero 9. From Audible Manager, I click on the Nero CD Burner under Mobile Devices, highlight the book I want to convert and then click on Burn to CD's with Nero. As stated above, however, instead of burning to CD's you point Nero to a virtual drive ( I use Magic ISO). Once the 8 or so Virtual CD's are finished, you can use pretty much any audio ripper program to create mp3's from the virtual cd's you just created.

Although the Pre's player doesn't support bookmarks yet, it does multitask and keeping the Music App open (just pause to save your spot) works fine as a bookmarking feature-just don't close the music app! But now that I see that the Classic App along with the Palm OS Audible client seems to be working on the Pre (with bookmarking) I may go ahead and pay for those apps to make it a little more convenient to listen to my Audio Books.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    mabmark and rlanza...would you please post details on how you loaded? I had classic and tried this but it didn't work for me. I just can't see the rip/burn method. It's easier to carry around my giant ipod ....er... 755p...but getting audible to run on classic would be well worth the $30 to me. I just need to know what to put where and how to load the app...and have audible mgr recognize the device (if that's even needed since I presumably could just dragndrop aa files via usb once I get it installed.
    Treo 300,600,650,755p and now Pre
    I'm confused. In order to use any device with your Audible books, that device needs to be activated. I tried countless times to use Audible in Classic the first day I bought my Pre, and the app would NOT activate my device.

It wasn't a matter of playing the files for me...it was activation.

Anyway, I can tell you that there is an app called MelodyCan that will convert your Audible (.aa) files to MP3. It worked for me when I had a BlackBerry last fall that didn't have a compatible version of Audible.
    Questions for mabmarc and rlanza1054:

Can you give more details? What did you install instead of Audibleair. Where did you install your files? The audio player and the audible files? I can't hear anything through the speakers or headset. Do you have a rooted device that allowed this? Please give details. According to classic, it doesn't have an audio component that would allow this.
    If I remember correctly, and I will double check when I get home.

I copied all the *.aa file that I wanted that are stored on my PC (because of using Audible Desktop Manager).

And I copied them into the Classic/Install (I need to double check this part) and then used a File Manager for the Palm OS that works, in my case I am using FileProg (free I believe) and copied the file into the AudibleFiles directory that is setup during the installation process of Audible.

Rob

If you have your old Treo running the PalmOS use a file manager and look on the external card and you will find an Audible directory/folder that is where all your Audible content goes, it does not go into the internal memory of the Classic or the older Treo it always goes to the external device. Remember, Classic sets up a virtual SD memory card.

You have to use a file manger.

However, when I check, I also think that you might actually find the Audible folder when you connect the Pre to your PC and look in the Classic folders subdirectories... if so just copy straight to that folder.

I'm sorry I'm not clearer, it's hard when I'm not home and unable to plug it in to be more accurate.

Hope this helps for now.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Still confused on the activation. So you're saying that audible books you've purchased from your Audible account play fine in Classic?

And...you're able to activate your player just fine? Anyone been able to activate? I've never used Audible for Palm OS; I'm coming from WM and BB. Every Audible device player i've ever used has to be activated before you can play the content you've purchased.
    Quote Originally Posted by NutritionN View Post
    I'm confused. .... I tried countless times to use Audible in Classic the first day I bought my Pre, and the app would NOT activate my device..
    Classic has had 3 updates since then. Try again.

Download the newest Palm OS (.prc version) Audible player from Audible.com. Connect to your PC and copy that .prc file into your /classicapp/palm/launcher/ folder. Fire up classic, select the catagory "internal" and click on the Audible installer .prc file. This will install the audible player in your classic ROM and create your folder for your audio books.

Now you run Audible from ROM and put in your user name and password. It will activate. Connect to your PC again and copy your .aa files into the /classicapp/audibleaudio/ folder. Fire back up classic and play your audio books. Its that simple.

Oh yeah, you have to make sure Classic is set to run in regular mode with sound.

Seeing as how your coming from WM and BB I would think that Classic would be really hard to figure out if you don't already understand the Palm file structure and where to put what files but if you follow the directions above, you will at least be able to run Audible.

Hope it helps
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Global Posts
    930 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    Classic has had 3 updates since then. Try again.

Download the newest Palm OS (.prc version) Audible player from Audible.com. Connect to your PC and copy that .prc file into your /classicapp/palm/launcher/ folder. Fire up classic, select the catagory "internal" and click on the Audible installer .prc file. This will install the audible player in your classic ROM and create your folder for your audio books.

Now you run Audible from ROM and put in your user name and password. It will activate. Connect to your PC again and copy your .aa files into the /classicapp/audibleaudio/ folder. Fire back up classic and play your audio books. Its that simple.

Oh yeah, you have to make sure Classic is set to run in regular mode with sound.

Seeing as how your coming from WM and BB I would think that Classic would be really hard to figure out if you don't already understand the Palm file structure and where to put what files but if you follow the directions above, you will at least be able to run Audible.

Hope it helps
    I'm going to try this, will let you know how easy/hard it is...
    Here is the file you want to download from Audible
    http://download.audible.com/AM36/Pal...layerSetup.exe

This will unzip the AudibleInstaller.prc into your Palm Install directory. You might have to install Palm desktop / Hotsync to create that directory.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    I'm getting everything except sound. How are you setting up Classic to get sound?
    I was also able to get Audible to load without the BSOD, but also with no sound. Within Classic Preferences there is an option that defaults to sound off, but doesn't appear to allow you to turn it on. Would this be a placeholder for a future Classic update enabling sound perhaps? Anyone getting sound successfully from Audible at this point?

Mark
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    HUGE thanks to rlanza and mabmark. I have audible and the Classic emulator actually seems to be emulating. If I can do this then the rest of you can. I have NO idea why it took 2 solid hours of installing and reinstalling classic and the rom updater etc etc. I must have hooked into usb mode 10 times before I finally got classic to run without the blue screen. In the end....it appears that the newest version of classic may not need the danged updater and each of the steps these guys describe is correct once you get each step to happen properly. For the guys who have everything but sound ...check this... I think classic installs in 'fast' mode by default so in preferences change it to "normal" mode and then the sound option won't be grayed out. This is just a flipping dream!!! I plan to carry my 755iPod for a while until I know this will stick though :-) Oh and TY to rc46 for the handy link too.

Part Deux... I guess I'll just keep editing this. I set it on the stone with the app still sitting there running (but not playing). It blue-screened in about a helf hour. I rebooted the whole phone and it came back with all the samples again (after I had deleted them) AND the two aa files I had installed. I deleted the samples again and started the book I am listening to again and it was ok. I turned it off this time.

Ok, now it is the next day after I started this. I used it 3 times and each time it'd go for a while with some intermittent "Max Headroom" kind of sounds now and then but each time it eventually blue-screened to the "Palm OS didn't like your cologne" screen. Re-booting the phone gets it to start again. I suspect it has something to do with the multi-tasking stuff and I am no SW engineer. I went to turn on 'enable Audible to run in background' because I always left it off before and thought that was default but it was already checked. I am carrying my iPodMega until I see if I can get it stable...

And, no, I have not tried bluetooth with it. One one hand, it seems like it ought to work as well as anything else with bluetooth. On the other hand, it seems like you'd want to have Rube Goldberg's number for tech support.
    Last edited by hdhuntr; 06/26/2009 at 06:43 AM. Reason: TY to rc46, 2nd time for crash note.,3 for update
    Treo 300,600,650,755p and now Pre
    Any luck with listening with audible on classic with bluetooth?
    Originally posted by zippychimp24:
    I was also able to get Audible to load without the BSOD, but also with no sound. Within Classic Preferences there is an option that defaults to sound off, but doesn't appear to allow you to turn it on. Would this be a placeholder for a future Classic update enabling sound perhaps? Anyone getting sound successfully from Audible at this point?

Mark
    I finally found the settings to turn on the sound. After you tap classic in the left corner and go into options, change the options from fast to normal. Then you'll be able to get sound.
    Originally posted by lite blue:
    Any luck with listening with audible on classic with bluetooth?
    I don't think that will happen until Audible actually makes a Pre app. Of course Classic could surprise me, but your Bluetooth is connect to your Pre protocol and Classic is running an emulator that isn't using your phone protocol.
    Originally posted by NutritionN:
    Still confused on the activation. So you're saying that audible books you've purchased from your Audible account play fine in Classic?

And...you're able to activate your player just fine? Anyone been able to activate? I've never used Audible for Palm OS; I'm coming from WM and BB. Every Audible device player i've ever used has to be activated before you can play the content you've purchased.
    I don't know if you got it to work, but just in case. You activate audible player as if you had a stand-alone Palm device. Enter your user name and password, then click launch player.
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast