Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JrrInTN View Post
    This is actually a Pre killer for me.
    Not to sound like an *** (I am for many reasons, but that's not my intention for this post,) but did you honestly expect this out of the box on launch day? Ignoring the fact that we've known all the launch and 'very soon after launch' partners (ie, sling) would you rather Palm have diverted more attention from obvious usability fixes to support an a proprietary format?

This is not an attack on you. If you're happy with what your Treo does for you then my hat is absolutely off to you. It's just tiring to continuously hear that every lack of feature is a non-starter, especially when I've never heard of half of them (and I consider myself an internet nerd.)
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    I found out something interesting today. You can stream native audible files using ORB. I actually got my pre to start streaming an audible book for about 10 seconds and then is stopped.

Steps to try if you are interested:

-Download the audible book using the audible manager on your desktop to a folder.
    -Then set ORB to link to that folder for audio files on the desktop.
    -Then goto MyCast your digital media with Orb 2.0 remote pc access software on the pre and logon.
    -Then navigate to Audio and Recently Added and choose the audible file.

One strange thing I noticed is that MP3s and Audible files stream using the VIDEO player. Not sure why it doesn't use the AUDIO player.

Mine plays and then studders then fails. Maybe if a supported Orb client comes out soon we will be able to use audible.

I tested streaming the audible file from a laptop and it worked perfectly using ORB. I didn't know Orb could do that.
    Treo 300, Samsung I500, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700P, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, HTC Mogul, Motorola Q9c, HTC Advantage, Treo 800w, Touch Pro, Treo Pro, Touch Diamond, Palm Pre, Touch Pro 2, and Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Here's my latest update from Audible...
    "Thank you for the reply and unfortunately your device is not compatible with Audible yet. The manufacturer of the Palm Pre has chosen not to make this device compatible with the .aa file format so we do not know when we will be supporting this device. Please be advised that we are working as fast as we can towards this matter, as there are many loyal customers such as yourself now using the Palm Pre. I do apologize for the inconvenience that was caused, but if there is anything else that I can assist you with, please let me know."
    Here is my response from Audible:

"Dear Scott,

Thank you for contacting Audible.

I understand that you interested in using Palm Pre device with the Audible's service. I do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused, but I will be more than willing to assist you. Unfortunately, as of right now we cannot guarantee the device will be compatible with Audible since it's a new released Smartphone. At this time, we do not have an estimated time of when the device will be compatible and when you will be able to transfer audiobooks onto the device.

We appreciate your feedback, as you have made a valid point. I have forwarded your feedback to the correct department. For the inconvenience, I have gone ahead and issued your account a coupon in the amount of $10.

Here at Audible, we truly value and appreciate your business; if you need further assistance, please respond to this email or if you wish, please provide me with a contact number and the best available time to reach you.

For additional questions, how to contact us and hours of operation, please visit us at: www.audible.com/contactus

Sincerely,
    Dara K.
    Audible Customer Support"
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by disc View Post
    ...did you honestly expect this out of the box on launch day? Ignoring the fact that we've known all the launch and 'very soon after launch' partners (ie, sling) would you rather Palm have diverted more attention from obvious usability fixes to support an a proprietary format?
    Actually I hadn't even thought about it until I saw this thread -- I had just assumed it would be available. I've used it for so long I didn't even think about it being a proprietary format and/or not even usable under Classic. I, like many it appears, would still love to get the Pre, but this one app is the biggy for me that will mean I'll delay getting the Pre until the app/format is available.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    have you tried syncing audbile files from itunes? it's doubtful that'll work, but it's worth trying.
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vkewalra View Post
    have you tried syncing audbile files from itunes? it's doubtful that'll work, but it's worth trying.
    tried that last night. I received a message from iTunes that the format is not playable on the device.
    TTFN
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    I guess it's a good thing I still have my iPod Touch! I am also anxious for this to work. Especially now that we have stereo bluetooth!
    I am using WireTap Studio right now to record one of my purchased Audible books to an mp3 file. Should record a decent quality file for listening to on my Pre. I'll let you know how it goes.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    So... I called again and I got the 'Mfg has to make the firmware compatible' and 'we are working on it' speeches. Meanwhile, I am keeping and using my 755p just for Audible. Earlier I *****ed about the uselessness of the $10 coupon for something I can't use...but if I just wait and keep calling once in a while until they make it work I guess it'll be ok since they just gave me another one. $10 to call support once a week isn't too bad. I'd like to know more about whether ripping to MP3s really works. Audible said it wouldn't...but even if it does, how is it with Start/Stop and bookmarks etc etc? Classic did not work for me. Ipod 'lookalike' doesn't seem to work for me and it doesn't sound like Orb will be a solution for walking around or driving etc.
    I think if you want to use Audible (which I am a member of) try using it as an iPhone.

Transfer to iTunes, and then transfer to the Pre.

I think that would work. I haven't tried it yet but that is what I will do until they get an app out for the Pre.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    As other users have pointed out, iTunes just gives you a message saying that the format (Audible) is not compatible with the "iPod" (Pre) and so we are unfortunately not able to listen to native .aa Audiobooks on the Pre just yet.
    You indeed can convert the Audible format to an MP3 with the right software. In order to bookmark, save, etc your media player needs to support that.

I don't believe the Pre's music player does, right?
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Well, I made a choice about 10 mins ago. I called Audible and put my Annual Renewal (scheduled for 6/21 @$220+/-) on hold until Pre compatibility is available. I have been with Audible for 3 or 4 years and have 100+ books in "My Library" which I will still have access to through my Laptop. Just have to use my Centro to listen. Will really miss my WSJ "Morning Read" before getting out of bed in the morning, but I am moving on without Audible!

They said they will notify me via email when Pre and Audible are compatible. It will be interesting to see if that happens.........
    i have been searching for a good audible solution and this is the best i have found so far

Saint Monkey A simple way to rip Audible .aa files to MP3

basically you use nero, to burn the book to cd's but instead of wasting 10 to 20 cd's you burn them to virtual cd's. then i mounted them on a virtual drive, i used power iso, but i think free deamon tools will work, and i used Itunes to rip the virtual cd's to mp3, and to tag the mp3 segments

It is a bit of a pain, but it seems to be okay with audible since you need to enter you audible account to get nero to work, and i ended up with my book in manageable nine minute segments. It is actually a nice way to get your books in mp3 format and much quicker than using software to record a book.

I still look foreward to an audible player for my pre which will keep my book at the correct spot or bookmark, but in the meantime this is one solution.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by quest1772 View Post
    edit: also tried the classic+audible air route and crashed my phone. i wouldn't say that is a viable option unless i did it wrong
    no Audio or Video application would work in Classic- as the official Classic post stated its due to licensing issues (whatever that means).

So no SLingbox no Audible no Kinoma et al...

Hey guys (and gals) I got Audible to work within Classic today!

It works great!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Hey,

Great that it might work in Classic, but beware about playing audiobooks/podcasts with the Pre's built in Music app.
    It does NOT remember your playback position! I have previously synced podcasts and mp3 audiobooks (converted from Overdrive media using Audacity) and as soon as you quit the music app or play a new track, it starts the book over at the beginning.

Until that's updated, the Pre is useless as an audiobook player

(still using my iPod Touch for that reason)
    Palm V -->m505 -->Tungsten T3-->T5->Centro-->Pre!
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    Hey guys (and gals) I got Audible to work within Classic today!

It works great!

Rob
    does it keep playback position?
    Quote Originally Posted by lite blue View Post
    does it keep playback position?
    Curious to know as well...I shouldn't be so lazy, just fire up classic and test it myself but...egh

Ok Ok I tried to test it out but sadly my classic expired....not sure if I want to pony up $30 just to use one app.
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast