Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 49101112131415 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nxd10 View Post
    My old, old contract with Audible allows me to buy any book plus a magazine every month - which is a lot cheaper than going to itunes. I so wish I could translate the files easily or use this NATIVE. I have an ipod just to listen to Audible.
    I'm in the same boat. I almost exclusively listen to Audible audio books while driving in the car. I never liked connecting and disconnecting my Palm Treo in my car to listen to audio books. So I just dedicated my old Palm T3 to being used as my Audilble player, still do with my Pre. It's less hassle when calls come in.

@sfabius - Yes the eMusic option is ok if you don't mind not having bookmarks. Personally I don't like having to FF or rewind to find my spot in a book, so Audible is the way to go for bookmarks.
    Quote Originally Posted by sfabius View Post
    Audible's annoying format is why I use eMusic.com. There might be a few books that I'd like to have that I can't get, but I am not without enough content to fill my time. Maybe if some of you Audible customers started canceling and using other things, it might get their attention?

(Sorry if someone said this already; I wondered if Audible was still being annoying from my Creative Zen days and read the last bit of the thread to see what was up. Seems like they are still only thinking Apple.)
    Bingo.

I was interested in Audible, but got tired of getting the run-around regarding Pre-compatibility. I'm glad I didn't get hooked before I bought my Pre.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    I gave up on Audible too. I now go to my local library and get the books I want. It takes some time to rip them into a way that creates bookmarks, but its worth it. Saves me $20 a month and works anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by hdhuntr View Post
    Guys:
    It took me about 5 minutes to fall in love with my EVO. The Audible beta app is beautiful...and as good as I thought WebOS was...Android on EVO is great. Good luck! See you on Android Central.
    +1
    I will miss treo central and web os, but lack of audible app final straw, I am writing this tethered to new evo, hope palm hangs in there
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by suzyQt View Post
    I'm in the same boat. I almost exclusively listen to Audible audio books while driving in the car. I never liked connecting and disconnecting my Palm Treo in my car to listen to audio books. So I just dedicated my old Palm T3 to being used as my Audilble player, still do with my Pre. It's less hassle when calls come in.

@sfabius - Yes the eMusic option is ok if you don't mind not having bookmarks. Personally I don't like having to FF or rewind to find my spot in a book, so Audible is the way to go for bookmarks.
    Same here. Using my old Treo 700p almost exclusively for audible content. Although I miss being able to download directly to the phone as I could do it anywhere, I periodically load up a 2gb sd card and I'm golden for quite a while.
    With all this talk of how easy it is to port apps, I just hope that we can see the Android Audible app be ported to webOS. Its even better than just having the codec to support it in native music player like iPhone/iPod. I love the stats feature and ability to download your library OTA.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Converted to mp3 for a year. now enjoying audible beta for android
    I'll have to think about firing up my 700p or Clie UX50. Right now I use my Pre and Classic, but I'd really like to use bluetooth. If Classic worked with Bluetooth, I'd be sitting pretty and wouldn't have to carry other devices.
    I am a hopelessly addicted audible.com devotee, so going without was not an option. I also adore my pre - so going without that became a non-option as well.

So... I went to ebay and bought a 256mb Creative MuVo TX - for $15. That is now where my books live. It's small, holds plenty of audio (20-40 hours), works seamlessly with audible, takes AAA batteries (about 1 every 2 weeks, and I go through one or two books every 2 weeks).

As soon as there's a pre app, I'll definitely give it a whirl. Over-the-air downloads would be nice. But I'm not sure but what I'll keep my little MuVo - great for exercise and any other activities where the pre might be in jeopardy, small, simple, cheap...
    I can't help you get your Audible fix but I did explain how to download open source (i.e. FREE!) audio books from Librivox and Manybooks in this thread:

http://m.forums.precentral.net/web-o...udio-book.html

I don't know how any of the paid services operate, but if they provide an RSS or XML link to Drm free MP3's, you can download them into Dr. Podder. Dr. Podder also creates automatic bookmarks when you stop a file.
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    I've been using dbpoweramp with the audible filter to convert audible audio for a while now with great success. The last couple books, though have an issue. Something seems to have changed, either on my end (which I don't recall doing) or on Audibles end. I'm able to convert the .aa files to mp3 using either lame or helix but the resulting mp3 seems to be at the wrong bit rate. It plays but sounds like a tape would on fast forward, or a record (remember those?) at too high an RPM. I haven't found where to adjust this on dbpoweramp though I haven't dug a lot. Is there any way to correct this?

I can resample the file using Audacity and that works but at a notable loss of sound quality and an extra lengthy step. Is anyone able to offer a suggestion?

Thanks!
    TTFN
    Well now there is an Audible app for iPhone, so hopefully see that app get ported over to webOS.
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dbeedle View Post
    I've been using dbpoweramp with the audible filter to convert audible audio for a while now with great success. The last couple books, though have an issue. Something seems to have changed, either on my end (which I don't recall doing) or on Audibles end. I'm able to convert the .aa files to mp3 using either lame or helix but the resulting mp3 seems to be at the wrong bit rate. It plays but sounds like a tape would on fast forward, or a record (remember those?) at too high an RPM. I haven't found where to adjust this on dbpoweramp though I haven't dug a lot. Is there any way to correct this?

I can resample the file using Audacity and that works but at a notable loss of sound quality and an extra lengthy step. Is anyone able to offer a suggestion?

Thanks!
    No takers? Bother.
    TTFN
    As I've always said, enough people have to bug Audible and complain like hell that we should not be left out in getting an app developed.

My last conversation with Audible they said they wanted to make an app but they needed certain API's, so until the PDK comes out (which it just did) I will give them the grace that they had trouble. So they blamed Palm.

But now, with PDK and after 2.0 comes out, they should not have any excuses.

So everyone, just keep bugging them. If they know they have a good customer base, they will make more of an effort.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

OK, the SDK for 2 is out, what's Audible's excuse now?

I am tired of this. I really want to use Audible and from reading these threads, see that there is an Audible app for Android now? (maybe it's beta still).

So if they managed to make it for Android, there is no excuse for them not to make it from WebOS. But of course, there is the market share that is working here. They won't make a dent with WebOS right now until HP gets Palm rolling again.

Again I ask, is there no Homebrew developer that can make the app for Audible.

The codec is available for WebOS running in Classic mode, maybe that codec can be used with Classic but transferring the music playback back to a WebOS client (as a work around for the license issue).

Or just develop it and then sell it back to Audible?

Of course, if HP doesn't come out with a new phone soon, it will be over anyway. But I'm sticking with my love 'WebOS' for at least the end of the year.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    OK, the SDK for 2 is out, what's Audible's excuse now?

I am tired of this. I really want to use Audible and from reading these threads, see that there is an Audible app for Android now? (maybe it's beta still).

So if they managed to make it for Android, there is no excuse for them not to make it from WebOS. But of course, there is the market share that is working here. They won't make a dent with WebOS right now until HP gets Palm rolling again.

Again I ask, is there no Homebrew developer that can make the app for Audible.

The codec is available for WebOS running in Classic mode, maybe that codec can be used with Classic but transferring the music playback back to a WebOS client (as a work around for the license issue).

Or just develop it and then sell it back to Audible?

Of course, if HP doesn't come out with a new phone soon, it will be over anyway. But I'm sticking with my love 'WebOS' for at least the end of the year.

Rob
    I know it's a business decision on Audible's part just like it was a business decision on DataViz's part, but be open about it or don't give false hope. No We're working on an App. Say you don't have the manpower, or that's not the direction we're going in at the moment.

On the bright side, it looks like Classic will have bluetooth audio capability. If that's the case, I'lll just listen to audible in Classic and learn how to use InternalZ or one of the other file manager apps better so that I can download straight to the phone and move the file where it needs to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    I know it's a business decision on Audible's part just like it was a business decision on DataViz's part, but be open about it or don't give false hope. No We're working on an App. Say you don't have the manpower, or that's not the direction we're going in at the moment.

On the bright side, it looks like Classic will have bluetooth audio capability. If that's the case, I'lll just listen to audible in Classic and learn how to use InternalZ or one of the other file manager apps better so that I can download straight to the phone and move the file where it needs to be.
    Getting the audible files into classic is very easy.

You can do that when you mount the USB partition and then just copy over the audible file into the classic directory, let me thing, there an install directory that it goes into from what I remember.

I can check that out again if you need that info.

But really, can't we just get a native app? They made one for Android, so that is is a similar OS and from what I understand Palm provided tools to help post over apps from other OS's!!!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    Getting the audible files into classic is very easy.

You can do that when you mount the USB partition and then just copy over the audible file into the classic directory, let me thing, there an install directory that it goes into from what I remember.

I can check that out again if you need that info.

But really, can't we just get a native app? They made one for Android, so that is is a similar OS and from what I understand Palm provided tools to help post over apps from other OS's!!!

Rob
    I agree with you that getting the audible files in Classic are easy. I simply prefer to not have to use my Pre like an iPod when it has connection to the internet and should be able to download directly to the device.

Having said that, once I have bluetooth audio capability in Classic, I'll use Classic and audible more. I usually buy 24 credits from Audible every four to 6 months. I've decided to stop.

We can't get a Native app, because we're not big enough for Audible to care and possibly, because those of us who are Audible customers remain Audible customers (in our purchasing habits).

I'm sure we have developers that would be willing to make the app or provide a security portion so that you'd only be able to listen to audible books when you've signed into your account on the device. I've proposed the maker of DrPodder, NanPlayer or MusicRemix.

I'm looking into other digital audio book providers, but I can't seem to find one that bookmarks in whatever book your listening to and is reliable in that capacity. In addition, I can't find a player that I can move forward and backward in incrementally so that I can get back to where I was listening if the phone crashed or the player didn't bookmark correctly.
    Quote Originally Posted by LupeValenz View Post
    Well now there is an Audible app for iPhone, so hopefully see that app get ported over to webOS.
    We can hope. I've bugged Audible, as have other members. they simply don't appear to care about this customer base.
    I just sent a request to audibleready@audible.com asking what they would requre to bless a 3rd party player for web os. If I get a response, i will pass it on. It would have to be a closed source solution since Audible is all about the DRM
    "Many men stumble across the truth, but most manage to pick themselves up
    and continue as if nothing had happened."
    - Winston Churchill