Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by imex99 View Post
    I just can't wait for a stable app, just crahsed classic with audible.
    Mine hasn't crashed since the update or when it did, it kept playing. Did yours keep playing or did the audio stop too?
    not all of us are willing to shell out $30 for classic either...
    Quote Originally Posted by tarirene View Post
    not all of us are willing to shell out $30 for classic either...
    Understandable. Some of us came to Pre with only 30 apps and need Classic for Bible reader, documents to go, and a few other apps. The fact that it works for audible, makes it possible for me to retire my other devices. Especially since I'm able to hotsync.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    Understandable. Some of us came to Pre with only 30 apps and need Classic for Bible reader, documents to go, and a few other apps. The fact that it works for audible, makes it possible for me to retire my other devices. Especially since I'm able to hotsync.
    I bought my pre back then too. instead of classic I hauled around my tungsten heehee
    Quote Originally Posted by wcarlson40 View Post
    Ok, I'm using soundtaxi to convert an audible file, but all it looks like it's doing so far, is that it fires up iTunes, and then starts playing it in the background in iTunes while recording the audio. An 8 hour book is going to take 8 hours to convert?! Ughh, there must be a better solution....
    SoundTaxi works great for the conversion of the new aax format but you need to keep it from using iTunes or it can only record 1 file at a time in realtime (at least on Windows 7 anyway, not sure about XP). The trick is to remove the 'x' off the aax file extension. You will see the small Audible player window popup like you do in Windows Media Player. Then you will be happy with the conversion speeds. A 24 hour book consisting of 4 tracks that are recording at the same time takes about 3-4 hours, which is a whole lot easier to find time for. I can also usually get away with using my computer while I'm doing this as long as I'm not converting too many files at once, although if you push it too hard you may hear a subtle blip every once in a while in the recording. Audible is using around 62 kbs rate for their aax (m4b/aac) encoding, they use an expensive encoder. I read about programming encoders recently and the encoder is responsible for making the decisions about what parts of the wav form to cut. Sound Taxi's encoder doesn't get transparency until about 128 kbs which results in 300-400 MB files per 8 hour part when using the m4a format. In light of this, you might consider following my instructions below...

If you want to get really serious here, convert the file to wav with SoundTaxi. Then you can archive 1 copy to flac so that you have a lossless copy in case you want to mess around with it later. (Flac can be converted back and forth to wav and the file will have the same hashcode.) Then fire up your favorite editor and peform any post-processing like increasing the tempo (without changing the pitch on the uncompressed wav file (see bestpractice on sourceforge). Then compress the wav into a lossy format using a software that has more sophisticated encoders (see foobar2000). Then you should use Mp3tag to add all the ID tag stuff like the track numbers and pictures. You can get the info out of AudibleManager, including the picture (since they are using an embedded web page). You can also get the tag out of the original aax file by renaming it to m4b then opening the file properties in Windows or by using mp3tag. Audible seems to be using a standard mp4 container and id tag format that these softwares recognize.

This process outlined here is currently the best method for producing the highest quality audible conversions. It will take no more than 2-5 minutes of your time for the interaction and about 3-4 hours for the conversion (plus any post processing and transcoding you do if you converted to wav). The total cost is $26.99 for SoundTaxi Pro (athough you could get the regular version). The Pro will not increase the speed, but will allow you to do more at once. It also has the catch that you have to buy it again if you get a new computer. Still, for that price it is really cheap and works well.

I hope this helps you all. I actually have an android, but I plan to stick with unprotected formats for my Audiobook library for future compatability even after the android player comes out. I decided to write my own Audiobook player, because these always suck on the hardware devices, even the good ones that support bookmarking like Cowons. Anyone who has had Audible for a while like me knows the frustration every time you want to buy a new player and the one you want doesn't support audible. I really can't believe that it doesn't work on a Palm. They seem to be in bed with Apple these days.
    I haven't seen .aax is that the new enhanced format? I currently use soundtaxi pro and am quite happy. I let it run overnight.

My default format for my old player is format 3, sometimes i have tried format 4 or the new enhanced format but I am not sure if the better formats really sound appreciably better to make them worth the larger size. I listen to most books on my pre through a2dp bluetooth with a bt530.

what format do most people use? do you notice a big difference in quality using a better,larger, format?
    Quote Originally Posted by kasi1222 View Post
    I was wondering the same thing myself and went to Audible's site this morning. They have a FAQ up now about WebOS that I have not seen before. Looks like it was posted 12/18/09. They are asking people to sign up as future beta testers, which I took as a good sign!
    I tried this and the e-mail bounced back to me twice. The odd thing is it bounced back from an Amazon.com server:

Reporting-MTA: dns; smtp-border-fw-4101.iad4.amazon.com

Final-Recipient: rfc822;audiblewireless@audible.com
    Action: failed
    Remote-MTA: dns; [10.140.10.25]
    Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 5.1.0 - Unknown address error 550-'5.1.1 <audiblewireless@audible.com>... User unknown' (delivery attempts: 0)
    Be sure to see my post on how we can perhaps prod Audible (Amazon) into supporting us. At this point, only making a dent in their pockets will be effective (IMHO). Just search for audible.com. It will pop up. I've posted step by step instructions on an alternative to audible for the Pre. I'd post a link, but I haven't enough posts yet for that to be allowed.

Personally, I'm an Audible Platinum member who usually buys 60 or more titles per year. I've put my account on hold, effectively cutting their payments for 3 months. If enough of us do this, we might make an impression. Certainly nothing else has so far.

In the meantime, I've opened an account with SimplyAudiobooks dot com. They have over 10,000 titles and more coming all the time, and their downloads are MP3s with NO DRM In the long run, this might be a better bet than dealing with DRM. Even iTunes has abandoned DRM. And after all, I can give my daughter or wife or next door neighbor a copy of a book after I've read it, can't I? I can even take them to the used book store and sell them if I wish. While I understand the differences, and want to financially support authors who make their work available, there must be a better way than the current DRM scheme. And frankly, I'm tired of paying a premium ($10-15 per audiobook) with all the hassles involved in DRM when I can buy a paperback of the same book at Costco for $5. Let's try to support those companies that understand we're tired of incompatible formats.
    Last edited by da1Bear; 01/29/2010 at 01:52 PM. Reason: improved clarity
    Quote Originally Posted by da1Bear View Post
    Be sure to see my post on how we can perhaps prod Audible (Amazon) into supporting us. At this point, only making a dent in their pockets will be effective (IMHO). Just search for audible.com. It will pop up. I've posted step by step instructions on an alternative to audible for the Pre. I'd post a link, but I haven't enough posts yet for that to be allowed.

Personally, I'm an Audible Platinum member who usually buys 60 or more titles per year. I've put my account on hold, effectively cutting their payments for 3 months. If enough of us do this, we might make an impression. Certainly nothing else has so far.

In the meantime, I've opened an account with SimplyAudiobooks dot com. They have over 10,000 titles and more coming all the time, and their downloads are MP3s with NO DRM In the long run, this might be a better bet than dealing with DRM. Even iTunes has abandoned them. And after all, I can give my daughter or wife or next door neighbor a copy of a book after I've read it, can't I? I can even take them to the used book store and sell them if I wish. While I understand the differences, and want to financially support authors who make their work available, there must be a better way than the current DRM scheme. And frankly, I'm tired of paying a premium ($10-15 per audiobook) with all the hassles involved in DRM when I can buy a paperback of the same book at Costco for $5. Let's try to support those companies that understand we're tired of incompatible formats.
    here's the linky Simply Audiobooks - Rent books on cd and download audio books
    Quote Originally Posted by lite blue View Post
    I haven't seen .aax is that the new enhanced format? I currently use soundtaxi pro and am quite happy. I let it run overnight.

My default format for my old player is format 3, sometimes i have tried format 4 or the new enhanced format but I am not sure if the better formats really sound appreciably better to make them worth the larger size. I listen to most books on my pre through a2dp bluetooth with a bt530.

what format do most people use? do you notice a big difference in quality using a better,larger, format?
    You use format 3?

aax is the new enhanced format. If you study the file it seems to be using the m4b format that iTunes uses, along with audible's DRM. m4b achieves transparency at a lower bitrate then mp3, so the enhanced format sounds much cleaner than format 4 which was pretty rough around the edges. I am surprised that you can't hear the difference. For me it's night and day.
    Guys, as I has said in a prior post, it will only be a few more months, Audible is working hard on an app for WebOS.

It is coming! I know for a fact!

So if you can wait, don't waste money on doing other solutions if you can wait!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

i have 324 audible books so i guess converting them to mp3 is not a bad idea for storage and back up. it'll take about a year using sound taxi each night.

are most of you keeping the 6-8hour mp3 intact and listening with music player remix or cuting down the mp3 to smaller segments.

I have been keeping the files long but notice bookmarks and resume play is a bit spotty and i need to fastforward a bit to find the correct spot.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    i have 324 audible books so i guess converting them to mp3 is not a bad idea for storage and back up. it'll take about a year using sound taxi each night.

are most of you keeping the 6-8hour mp3 intact and listening with music player remix or cuting down the mp3 to smaller segments.

I have been keeping the files long but notice bookmarks and resume play is a bit spotty and i need to fastforward a bit to find the correct spot.
    There are several issues everyone posting lately need to review.

First, if you mean 324 Audible titles...there is no reason to do anything with them. You can download in any format from your library at anytime you need them.

Second there is no NEED to reformat anything. Besides the WebOS version that is in development (FINALLY).... ANYONE can review THIS thread for detailed instructions on how to make Audible work with Classic. This was a lot of work for a few of us to figure out. I keep seeing all this blather about sound taxi etc and I don't know why.

It also look s to me like they are no longer charging for Classic. Not sure about that but it has no prince when I see it in the App Catalog and other things I have paid for do show a price.

I hope this post about converting all this turns out to have been a joke...it is really funny...
    Treo 300,600,650,755p and now Pre
    I would love to quit converting audible titles, no matter how easy it is still a chore.

the trouble is that I enjoy listening to the books on my pre through my bluetoothbt530 headset (don't want wires) which requires a2dp support.

I have inquired several time through this thread but to my knowledge using classic and audible does not have ability to play through blue tooth

please tell me I am mistaken and I would happily pay for classic

thanks for any info
    I would love to quit converting audible titles, no matter how easy it is still a chore.

the trouble is that I enjoy listening to the books on my pre through my bluetoothbt530 headset (don't want wires) which requires a2dp support.

I have inquired several time through this thread but to my knowledge using classic and audible does not have ability to play through blue tooth

please tell me I am mistaken and I would happily pay for classic

thanks for any info
    I don't believe it's supported.

Just be patient, I had posted a message, Audible is working on a native Pre app. It's in the works. A few months at the most from what I understand.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Here's the latest from Audible (January 29, 2009). Apparently they are working on an application for WebOS?

"I understand that you are inquiring about the availability of an Audible application for the WebOS based Palm Pre and apologize that expectations made were not delivered upon. We are actively pursuing the development of applications for many of the new mobile operating systems (Android, WebOS), but do not have an estimated date as to when they will be completed. Please do not take this as our ignoring the needs of you or other Palm customers as that is far from our intent. Rather, we are working diligently towards the completion of software that delivers the best possible customer experience. If you would like to request further information or sign up for notifications regarding the availability of a full or beta application for the WebOS, you may contact our wireless team directly.

Sincerely,
    Rob
    Audible Technical Supervisor
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    [QUOTE=hdhuntr;2191641]
    It also look s to me like they are no longer charging for Classic. Not sure about that but it has no prince when I see it in the App Catalog and other things I have paid for do show a price.

I just checked the App Catalog. Looks like they are offering a 7-day free trial, but you would eventually have to pay for it.
    I've used soundtaxi to drm proof my audible files but the bookmarking ends up being all screwed up when using the remix music player from homebrew. Not quite sure how to get the bookmarks to work well
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer10 View Post
    I've used soundtaxi to drm proof my audible files but the bookmarking ends up being all screwed up when using the remix music player from homebrew. Not quite sure how to get the bookmarks to work well
    That's my problem as well. Also can't scroll forward easily to find place. Do you get pauses or stop in your book so that you have to move forward? The only reason I use soundtaxi is so that I can listen to my book over bluetooth. Otherwise, Classic is a much better audio experience.
    Global Posts
    225 Global Posts
    I use Soundtaxi and Music Player (Remix) for my audio books. I don't have a problem with the manual bookmarks. They seem to work fine. Scrolling to find your place is more problematic. Dan C has continually said that this is a music player, not a book player, and playing music rarely requires moving ahead within a song. So, he is not planning to further refine the progress slider. Using it to find your place in a book is a bit of an art. I am getting better, but I can rarely find my exact place. Until we have a native Audible app, we are either going to have to use Classic with wired headphones or Music Player (Remix) with bluetooth.